Start by marking “The New Ghost” as Want to Read:

(Nobrow 17 x 23)

A beautifully rendered, literally haunting tale of the afterlife, Robert Hunter's The New Ghost follows a spectral entity on his first day at work: dark, gentle, poetic, and heart-warming all at once, it is an atmospheric tale to dash the conventions of comics and leave you thirsty for more from this young storyteller. Part of the Nobrow 17x23 series.
Published May 14th 2011 by Nobrow Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The New Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Ghost

Sarah Churchill
Haunting is the only word for this. Literally, because it's about a ghost on his first day of work, trying to figure out what his job is, and figuratively because if you really think about it it's deep.

The artwork style is simple but atmospheric, and fits the story perfectly. This is one of those graphic novels that's more a work of art than a novel. If you read it quickly and put it back down you're not going to get much out of it. You need to take your time, study it and really think about ev
Sam Quixote
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
A ghost on his first day as a ghost gets separated from the other ghosts floating across the sky. On Earth, he befriends an astronomer before witnessing what looks like an abduction by the other ghosts - and now they’re after him and his astronomer friend!

Robert Hunter’s sweetly surreal comic is an inventive, fable-like story that continuously usurps the readers’ expectations on where it’s headed, managing to keep the reader engaged the whole way through. The book also makes ghosts seem more in
Obelina Wang
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-collection
A short and simple story with some pages I actually would like to tear down and put up on my wall, but won't because that would ruin the cute little graphic novel. For something as brief as it is, you can still see from it the potential of the illustrator/ storyteller if given the opportunity to expand or do something bigger.
Alexandra
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
initially i was drawn to this beautiful cover. it made me think of alien abductions/x files/sci fi movies etc (even though the title had the word ghost in it). but i didn't really know what to make of the story inside. at first i thought it was really poignant. a new ghost is trying to keep up with his "colleagues" and figure out just what his purpose is. i thought it was going to be a really beautiful story with a great message about life after death and angels or whatever.

but then it was just
Maggie Gordon
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Nobrow 17x23 series collects short, self-contained comics, giving new creators a chance to get their stories out in the public eye. There have been some really interesting experiments from the Nobrow line, including some that have spun off into full series (Hilda!!!). Thus, if you spot any of the Nobrow books, they are definitely worth a look!

The New Ghost is an eerie little book about a ghost dealing with his "first day on the job". He doesn't know how to be a ghost yet, so he tries to foll
stefiereads
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book is super short. It has a gorgeous illustration, and cute story.

That’s it.
Brittany (brittreads)
This was a wonderful, captivating, and beautifully illustrated little graphic novel. It was super cute and sweet
David
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is part of s series from Nobrow that encourages new artists to put out short (this one is about 12 pages) one-off stories.
It's a really lovely piece of work that involves a new 'ghost' who's confused about his purpose. It's quite sweet and has the feel of a children's story. I liked the flat drawing style and atmospheric use of colour.
Iona
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Not blown away by the story but the artwork is pretty
B.A. Wilson
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I found this on some sort of list for graphic novels not to miss, so I ordered it in at work.

Unfortunately, I did not connect with this one at all. It is just not for me. If there was a story or deeper meaning here, it flew right over my head. Everything about it felt forced and tedious, which is crazy, because it's only 24 pages with very few sentences and words. I also didn't particularly care for the artwork.

This was just a no for me on all fronts, but it's clear I'm in the minority.

Book 8
Book Pairings (Laci Long)
The New Ghost is a short and simple graphic novel, but it still conveys a ton of emotion. The story follows a new ghost on his first day. As he is flying around trying to get the hang of things he gets separated by the group and crash lands. An astronomer in an observatory nearby sees this happen and comes to help the ghost. As his new friend shares his town with the ghost they witness what looks like an abduction by another ghost. I won’t give away any more than that, but it’s a beautiful littl ...more
Vicky Marie
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
For some reason I hadn't notice while purchasing this that it would be only 24 pages. I was disappointed to find what looked like a pamphlet rather than a book in my Amazon package. Despite the size I enjoyed this short graphic novel. I wasn't wowed by it, mainly due to its shortness, but the artwork and use of color was wonderful.
Amy | shoutame
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
An extremely beautiful graphic piece - I adored the illustrations in this one!

A tiny little read that follows the tale of a new ghost (as the title suggests!) - we see how the ghost tries to work out it's role in death and comes to settle in it's new form.

I really love these little graphic works from Nobrow - beautifully crafted and I would recommend to all!
Alice Lippart
Short, sweet and gentle. The color palette is to die for.
Twig
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely artwork and story
Teresa Barrera
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Came across this on Amazon. I'm always drawn in to anything with ghosts and the supernatural, so no doubt I ended up getting it.
The artwork is pretty cool, but for me, the story just didn't satisfy me. I felt like there was something missing or maybe I'm just not getting it. I understand he's finding his way and trying to follow his colleagues and at the end, he finds his way, but like I said, I just felt like something was missing, like there should have been more.
Rebecca Barber
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Really short and sweet story about a ghost trying to figure out his purpose. I loved the art style and the colours used, I just wish it was a bit longer as it ended with such potential for more.
Ilse
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the artwork, it is just stunning.
Hollowspine
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable, great art and a story that brings both the suspense and fear of a haunting, but also a unique perspective, that of a ghost, new to the job of haunting.

I loved taking my time over each page and drinking in the beautiful colors of the art along with the story, which having little written dialogue is inferred on each page. As the ghost becomes more familiar with their task it becomes more frightening.

I loved the twist of the ending, which gave a new light to the entire work.

The sto
Chris  - Quarter Press Editor
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For what this is, it's gorgeous.

The art drew me in from the initial purchase, and it carried me through the 24 pages the story inhabits. (Nobrow Press should be extremely happy with the quality of work, and product, they're producing.)

Really, though, if the art doesn't get you, then I don't think this will be for you. The story works well enough in carrying us through a mini-arc in these few pages, but it didn't resonate with me as others have. Honestly, though, that's not a bad thing.

For me, ha
Zulekha Saqib
It is amazing, simple, profound and hauntingly beautiful!
Athena Shardbearer
Beautiful Illustrations but the writing wasn't the best. I still enjoyed this short read.
Victoria
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
At only 24 pages this cute little 'book' is jam-packed with illustrations. Hunter uses a limited colour palette well suited to the scenes and the story itself, although short is very sweet.

We follow a new ghost on his first journey. He doesn't know his purpose and finds himself a little afloat (so to speak) with his vague instructions told: 'to follow the example of my colleagues'. What this is, is unclear for the new ghost until the end but it rounds up nicely in a simplistic way.

The only incl
Emily
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is super short - so slim that it was very hard to find on the library shelf even though it was there - and not what I had expected, even though I didn't think I had expectations.

It was haunting and a little like poetry in pictures, and the journey of the story and the ending left me thinking, even for such a brief story. I passed it to be my partner who also liked it. He called it cute, which wouldn't be my description, but it's one of the best graphic 'novels' I've read. It was one of my a
Kirstie Ellen
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
3.5/5 Stars

Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
This was an interesting one. Everyone has been describing it as a “sweet” read and it’s most certainly that! The artwork is gorgeous and the storyline is simple and nice. Being so short however made it a little like .. wait what? when you finish, but otherwise good.

The New Ghost
This is a very short (24 pages!) graphic novel that tells the tale of a ghost who is new to his role as one. The story follows him as he tries to discover his role as a ghost by
Mariana Pereira
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
The New Ghost has a beautiful colour palette and visuals. It’s gorgeous enough on it own to warrant picking it up for a few dollars. The story is quite short, as it’s meant to be, which left me wanting more out of the story nontheless. Either way I’m interested to read more from this author and maybe pick up another short graphic novel from this 17x23 series by Nobrow.
Natalie
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely short read. The artwork was quirky and nice. The color scheme and the colors chosen as highlights were incredible. I was left wanting to stare at the pages just because the colors were so pleasing to me. The story itself was really nice. There was an air of both melancholy and hope to it. Honestly, I really enjoyed it.
Courtney
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Melancholic and a tad disturbing, not in a "ewwwww" way, just in an unsettling way. Kind of makes me think of the saying "the road to hell was paved with good intentions", but instead of hell it's the sky. I like the concept a lot, the art is very pleasing to the eyes. I wish it would be expanded into a full novel.
Helen Leigh-Phippard
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This little comic book is sheer perfection. It’s absolutely beautiful to look at, it feels lovely to hold (it has a very nice soft cover with a gorgeous inside and out which makes it feel a little bit special), and the story is both magical and funny. It made me laugh out loud, immerse myself into the story and eager to read more by Robert Hunter!
Daisy
Quality Rating: Five Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Four Stars

A beautiful, haunting and somewhat foreboding little story. Stunningly illustrated and wonderfully imaginative, Hunter's comic throws the reader straight into a story that immediately invests you in humanity and unwittingly twists your expectations behind your back.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Pachyderme
  • Slow Storm
  • Le Goût du Chlore
  • Fluffy

Nobrow 17 x 23 (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Hildafolk (Hilda, #1)
  • Temporama
  • Jeff Job Hunter
  • Vacancy
  • Lost Property
  • Golemchik (Nobrow 17x23)