Start by marking “Nailed (Ron Ketchum Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nailed (Ron Ketchum Mystery, #1)

Nailed (Ron Ketchum Mystery #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  800 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Ron Ketchum saw his share of the dark side of life as a cop in Los Angeles. Then he left L.A. to become the chief of police in the Sierra Nevada resort town of Goldstrike. One sunny morning in the mountains, though, he comes upon a crime unlike anything he’s ever seen before.

He finds the body of an African American man nailed to a tree.

The victim is a highly respected mi
Published March 26th 2011 by Stray Dog Press, Inc. (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nailed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nailed

Benjamin Thomas
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This one really surprised me...and in a good way. The first in a projected series, it's a nice police procedural/mystery story that introduced me to some nicely fleshed out characters. For me, the characters make all the difference. I've read so many mystery/thriller novels that I need something more than just a new setting or new time period, etc. This novel, happily, combines great characters with a nicely developed plot. And the mystery itself ain't bad either.

Ron Ketchum, formerly an LA cop,
Kimberly Hicks
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: BookBub
Shelves: read-on-kindle
You wanna know how good this book was? I lost my precious 'work sleep' so that I could stay up and finish the ending. I never lose my good sleep, when I have to get up so early in the morning for work, but that's just how damn good this book actually is!

It's been a very long time coming that I've read a story that was so coming-of-age and poignant! What an amazing story this was! Joseph Flynn did an outstanding job in bringing to light so many social issues we deal with today, as well as in our
Black Butterfly
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
HOLY CRAP! WHAT A G.R.E.A.T. BOOK! TOLD SO WELL IT HAD ME ON THE FIRST PAGE, WHAT A FREAKIN' GOOD STORY. I SET UP WAAY PAST MY BED TIME, I HAD TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED, ALSO PROUD I FIGURED OUT WHO THE KILLER WAS WHEN FIRST INTRODUCED IN THE STORY. I THOUGHT, WOW I KNOW WHO DID IT, OH F-BOMBS! YIKES! THIS STORYLINE IS NOT JUST A PLAIN OLD WHO-DONE-IT, BECAUSE IT HAS A TRUE RING TO IT. IT'S WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE REAL WORLD RIGHT-DAMN-NOW BIG TIME. THEN INTERWOVEN INTO THE REAL STORY IS A MURDER AN ...more
Joni
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A well written, fast moving thriller. Joseph Flynn did a great job of developing his characters and the story. There were plenty of red herrings and sub-plots to hold your interest, in fact it is a book that is hard to put down after you start reading.
gert
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
i'm probably a bad reviewer - if there isn't something that just JUMPS out as crap, i'm usually pretty happy. i.e. i'm not too hung up on literary devices, unless its just too brutal to ignore.

are there elements in this book that could have been fleshed out better? fo'shizzle. but reality check: good is great when the storyline rocks. and this one does. loved the characters - from the slightly flawed protagonist (recovering bigots are generally flawed) to the mayor who is sometimes away from hi
Lee Holz
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
In some respects, Nailed is a classic who-done-it. The plot is complex, the suspects plentiful, and, although the author withholds some information as the book nears the end, there are enough clues that this reader didn’t feel cheated. The unusual wrinkle was the sub-plot of the murderous mountain lion. All in all, Nailed was a very enjoyable mystery.
Joel Ungar
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Very complete story and pretty good characters. I liked how Flynn fleshed things out. The town of Goldstrike becomes real with a back story. So do many of the characters.

The characters themselves are fairly standard, but it works.

Once again, I didn't guess the killer.
Lisa Woelk
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Free kindle book. Good story plot. Many twists and turns for a "who done it" mystery!
Clint
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I really liked this book. I enjoy his writing style and characters.
Barbara
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very exciting story. I really enjoyed the dual story lines of the search for the killer of Isaac Cardwell, and the search for a rogue mountain lion that is stalking the ski resort town of Goldstrike CA. Well plotted, very believable characters. I stayed up way later than I should have trying to finish this book!

This story also takes an unflinching look at racism. Ron Ketchum is a "recovering" racist and his deputy chief of police is a black, former police officer from LA. The two are close fr
Michael Parker
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Joseph Flynn's thriller but hesitated to give it a five star rating, simply because there were a couple of 'sloppy' get outs in the story. By this I mean when one of the characters is in trouble and the writer uses an 'old hat' formula for extricating the characater from the predicament he or she is in. Apart from that, I found the book extremely well written and a pleasure to read. I wasn't gripped in the way that some thrillers can grab you, but felt compelled to read towards the end ...more
Ivy M
Sep 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-books-read
There are two main stories…hunt for a human killer and hunt for a killing mountain lion. It is not a book that I would have read in one day but had enough happening to keep my interest. I found that in parts the story seemed to lean more in the hunt for the mountain lion then in the human killer. This is the first time I have read a book by this author and I found that I like his writing style enough to look into reading more of his book.
Linda Look
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story about relationships. Chief Ron Ketchum is a recovering bigot who had a terrible childhood. A murder (nailed to a cross) of a black minister in a small town brings out the best and worst of the citizens. Entangled in all this is a rogue mountain lion attacking humans and animals. Is this the result of the curse placed upon the town by the mother of the murdered minister? Very fast reading and interesting, well written book. I rate it a 4.9.
Russell
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very good read! Enjoyed from amazon lending library with Prime. I'm sure I will read more of his work.
Randy Ramsey
Oct 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Ok but nothing special

It was an enjoyable read but kind of just another generic mass produced action story with a less than exciting hero.
Rodney
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rodney by: 100
I was an enjoyable read. The main characters were well developed and interesting. There was tension and suspense with a surprise ending.
Phyllis Peterson
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Decent story but preachy
Dolores Madden
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved,loved,loved the book ,the character's,the plotline ,everything ,just sorry to finish it ,looking forward to more .
Bettie
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.9 stars. Really enjoy his books...this one especially
Aubrey Odom
Focused way too much on racism. Otherwise, a good read.
Jon
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never read anything by Joseph Flynn. After this book I am off to find more of his books. Really good mystery writer.
Patricia Eichenlaub
Improbable but imaginative!
Julie
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ron Ketchum is the Chief of Police in Goldstrike California. He is a good cop, formerly of LAPD. Deputy Chief Oliver Gosden is also from the LAPD, a black cop whose life was once saved by Ron. Mayor for Life is Clay Steadman, an actor, recovering drug addict and very popular in Goldstrike. The 2 cops driving down the mountain and chance upon a black man nailed to a dead tree. While they start working the crime scene, another local is attacked by a mountain lion while jogging. Now we have the bas ...more
Danita Nelson
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Captivating

Twists and turns keep the pages flying!
Superb storytelling, thrilling plot, and memorable characters make this book hard to put down.
Dolly
Good, solid, entertaining read!

Mr. Flynn is an author I will continue to read. I've read the available books in his other two series, Jim McGill and John Tall Wolf and new at some point I'd read this series.

What I liked: The biggest thing I enjoyed about Nailed were of course, the characters. Give me a character driven book with interesting, developing people and I'll read them, no questions asked. You don't get an info dump but while fleshing out the characters and plot, Mr. Flynn still keeps y
Jan Reid
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Not a typical, who-done-it!

I was expecting this book to be another typical, who-done-it, detective story, although that wouldn’t have been an altogether bad thing, because I enjoy crime mysteries. Who doesn’t like to try to guess the guilty party and see justice prevail? However, by the time I was about a third of the way into the book, I realised there was nothing typical about this detective story at all. The author has taken an intriguing crime mystery, plus interwoven issues of racism and re
Sally Malkowski
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nailed … a standalone by Joseph Flynn … is totally unlike anything I’ve read by him so far. Let me tell you the bad news first: I have finished it … and there is no sequel.

Now for the good news: if you like personable characters … an intricate plot … riddled with suspense … and an unpredictable ending … chances are you’ve read Joseph Flynn before. But if you haven’t, you’re in for a treat and have so many of his books to look forward to.

Nailed centers around a modern day crucifixion, which appe
Merle
Ron Ketchum is a former LAPD cop who has left LA for the affluent mountain town of Goldstrike. He finds a body nailed to a tree one day while riding with his deputy. There is a subtext throughout this book of big city folk coming to a small town and making it their own, for good and bad.

The case affords all sorts of opportunities for ill feelings, racial hatred and personal vendettas among townspeople, so Ron is left with a simmering pot that might boil over - and does in one gruesome instance.
Huub Nollet
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Spannend verhaal over black and white in Californie, vooroordelen etc.
Jim A
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A murder mystery and the hunt for a rogue mountain lion are the two themes for this novel.

The murder centers on a minister, having been killed is then nailed to a dead tree crucifixion style. As the victim is black, the door is opened for racial overtones. This gives the author, Flynn, a platform for his social commentary on race relations in the country. The chief of police of the community of Goldstrike is a self proclaimed recovering bigot, as an example.

The hunt for the mountain lion is ve
  • Dire Means
  • A Man Overboard
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Blood Red Turns Dollar Green
  • Revenant (Paskagankee #2)
  • Iced
  • Illegal
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Read No Evil
  • Trust No One (Vista Security, #2)
  • Liquid Lies
  • Apocalypse Island (Blue Light #1)
  • The Commission (Sam Kincaid, #1)
  • No Such Thing
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • The River
  • A Reason to Live (Marty Singer, #1)
  • Swan Loch
Joseph Flynn has been published both traditionally — Signet Books, Bantam Books and Variance Publishing — and through his own imprint, Stray Dog Press, Inc. Both major media reviews and reader reviews have praised his work. Booklist said, “Flynn is an excellent storyteller.” The Chicago Tribune said, “Flynn [is] a master of high-octane plotting.” The most repeated reader comment is: Write faster, ...more
More about Joseph Flynn...

Ron Ketchum Mystery (3 books)
  • Defiled, featuring John Tall Wolf (Ron Ketchum Mystery, #2)
  • Impaled (Ron Ketchum Mystery, #3)