Start by marking “The Dead Zone” as Want to Read:
The Dead Zone

The Dead Zone

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  153,250 ratings  ·  3,074 reviews

The two things that conjured up that horrible night were his run of luck at the Wheel of Fortune, and the mask…
Meet Johnny Smith. A young man whose streak of luck ends dramatically in a major car crash. Followed by blackness. A long, long time in cold limbo.
When he wakes up life has been turned upside down. His fiancée has met someone else. And Johnny is cursed with the po

Published March 22nd 2010 by Hodder (first published August 30th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Dead Zone, please sign up.
SmarterLilac Yeah, yeah, It is fine. And very relevant to a whole swath of major social issues affecting the psychology of an entire generation.

So is The Dead Zone…more

So is The Dead Zone. In a big way. Really a transgenerational condemnation of how our parents (and grandparents) effed up our society and what it would take if anyone wanted to (or could) avoid the worst. But I don't think about this novel as mere social commentary, (even the important, non-sentimental kind) but as a brutally insightful discussion of the burden of Knowing, either as a psychic, a prophet, a scientist, an historian or anyone else, that Bad Things are coming and You are the sole obstacle in their way. It is a heavy and hard responsibility to carry, and very few will be able to wield it well. Even John Smith, though he makes the right choice (just barely) finds his 'luck' run out eventually. And what of those who remain? The other characters have all chosen to try to save society in other ways--but we know how well conventional approaches worked out for the Boomers, don't we?

Pennywise? Has nothing on Frank Dodd. What Bill, Beverly, et al experience? Has never moved me the way John Smith's last stand(s) did.

What's past is prologue. The Dead Zone is every bit as important to 2016 readers as it ever was. (less)

·  153,250 ratings  ·  3,074 reviews

Carol
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Florence
WOW! No horror or gore here, just bits of well done paranormal and one hell of an excellent story!

Meet John Smith, he is a good guy.......you'll like him. He has a great sense of humor, loves his parents (including his lunatic mother) and Sarah. Even after life deals him a devastating blow with recurring consequences and difficult challenges, Johnny still perseveres.

Visit a carnival and spin the wheel of fortune, see inside the mind of a sick serial killer, and watch a dangerously radical politi

Jeffrey Keeten
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, book-to-film

photo 1239f876-1169-4e93-ba31-3efb5dcb1290_zps6iebs0gr.jpg
Who else but Christopher Walken could play Johnny Smith in the highly praised David Cronenberg film?

Johnny Smith is a rookie teacher with $8 in his pocket, just enough money to take his best girl Sarah, also a new teacher, to the local county fair. Sarah is coming off a couple of recent relationships that were exciting with aggressive, unpredictable men. Johnny is a step in a new direction, maybe a
Kemper
Johnny Smith is one bad-luck bastard.

He starts off well enough as a nice guy with a talent for teaching and is in the early stages of what looks to be a very promising relationship with Sarah. However, a car accident leaves Johnny in a coma which nobody thinks he’ll recover from. Miraculously, he wakes up 4 years later, but he finds that Sarah has married someone else, his mother has turned into a religious lunatic, he’s got a long and painful rehab to endure, and he faces a mountain of debt fro
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
In my own personal opinion, this is the best story Stephen King has ever written. Not the most frightening, not the most thrilling, no: but this novel has true literary merit. And a tragic hero (not a mere "protagonist, mind you) who really qualifies for the title.

John Smith (his name immediately marks him out as the "common man") is blessed and cursed with second sight. It began as a minor ability due to a skating accident in his childhood; but when he wins big time at the roulette wheel in a v
Nayra.Hassan
اعمل الخير و القيه في البحر ..نعم!ا
جون مدرس علوم يحب مهنته..يعتني بطلبته ..يعشق خطيبته ..عالمه ينهار ذات ليلة بعد حادث مروع..يدخله في غيبوبة لخمس سنوات. .يصحو منها ليجد انه صاحب قدرات .تخيفه قبل غيره
Screenshot_2018_07_15_05_40_55_1
.تنبؤ..تخاطب..قراءة ماضي..سايكومتري ..و اجمل ما في القصة انها حدثت بالفعل و لم يتعب كينج كثيرا في تأليف احداث مثيرة

ا"لماذا انا"سؤال إنساني يتبادر إلى ذهن البشر ..كلما اصابتهم مصيبة..و هل هناك مصيبة اكبر ..من الاصطدام بالشر في أعتى صوره؟..
كلما مسست بشر ستجد مصاءبهم تهبط على عقلك..و بالطبع الرواية مأ
Leo .
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. Sixth sense. Teacher in an accident. Visions of the future. Great film too starring Christopher Walken.🐯👍

Loved the scene in the film when Christopher Walken is talking to Herbert Lom, his doctor.

He asks him, being that he is a Jew, if he could go back in time and get close to Adolf Hitler...Would he kill him?

Herbert Lom replies that he is a doctor and his job is to save lives...And finished by saying he would kill the son of a bitch! Classic Stephen King!

Imagine if you could go
Dan Schwent
May 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2013
Johnny Smith wakes from a coma with the psychic ability to read a person when he touches them. Will he use this ability for good or for selfish reasons? And what's the deal with this Greg Stillson character that's swiftly becoming a heavy hitter in the political realm?

Sometime in early 2013, I resolved to read some of the Stephen King books I missed during my binge around the turn of the century. Along with The Shining and It, the Dead Zone is something I'm surprised I hadn't read years ago.

The
I've read some of Stephen King's titles but nowhere near enough, so I have made it a personal goal to read little by little until I get caught up...if that is even possible. This genius of a man has written a lot of books! I chose The Dead Zone for my next King novel simply because of the recently released audiobook. It's narrated by James Franco!! I absolutely adore him. Seriously, he could do a Pepsi commercial and I would DVR that sucker! Not only did he do a superb job in his narration in th ...more
R.K. Gold
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay here we go Mr. John Smith. I know you have this strange ability to see into the future but did you see this review coming? Well, did ya? You feeling lucky John? Cause I sure as hell am after reading this. I'm not as sad to finish it as I was the dark tower series (because i poured so much emotion into finishing those damn books) but this was quite an enjoyable read; one I could really sink my teeth into when given a full day to do so.
The development of John, his relationship with his famil
AMEERA
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing really enjoyed 💕'
Edward Lorn
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: King fans and fans of politics
For Goodreads: 2.5 stars.

I think I dislike this book a little more every time I read it. The Dead Zone is, for the most part, boring setups that lead to lackluster climaxes, if they can be called climaxes at all. Maybe "payoffs" would be a better word... But I think what I dislike the most about this book is all the political mumbo jumbo. I simply don't give a shit about politics, and this book is full of it. If Johnny Smith isn't thinking about how shitty he has it, he's ruminating on the polit
Delee
THE DEAD ZONE was my very first Stephen King book, and I would like to thank David Cronenberg, Christopher Walken, and one of my high school best friends- Natalie Kowalski- for introducing me to the world of John Smith, and in turn the world of Stephen King.

[image error] photo 7944f53f-01da-402e-bfc1-0d0e2bc6f0d4_zpsec2f5fa1.jpg

After watching and falling for the character John Smith- in the 1983 movie THE DEAD ZONE, I decided to search out the book that it was based on. I had never heard of Stephen King- I had read a lot of mysteries, but had never read
Rebecca McNutt
I have the film adaptation of this on VHS (it's one of my few tapes I haven't watched yet), and reading The Dead Zone really makes me want to watch it now. As is often the case in King's books, the characters have supernatural powers, but something about John Smith's abilities stand out high above those of Charlie McGee's pyrokinesis. King focuses less on shady people who want to use this power for evil, and more on John Smith himself and what his own conscience is telling him to do.

I can defini
Justin
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first part of Stephen King’s The Dead Zone was just straight-up fun to read. It had that Something Wicked This Way Comes vibe to it with the spinning wheel, the creepy carnival worker, and Johnny Smith pressing his luck and drawing a crowd. It was the first chapter in what ultimately becomes The Saga of John Smith, Psychic or Something.

The rest of the book walks through events where this psychic ability becomes useful in a number of ways, ultimately leading up to a thrilling, larger-than-li
Wilier
Este es justamente el Stephen King que no me gusta...

Quienes me conocen saben que soy fan de este autor, muchos de sus libros son increíbles, lamentablemente este no es el caso. Sólo déjenme explicarles un poco de mi problema con este en particular.

Para empezar leemos bien claro en la sinopsis que se trata de un tipo que comienza a tener unas especies de visiones acerca del futuro luego de salir de un coma y que pronto descubre que debe asesinar a alguien que provocará una especie de fin de mund
Kostas Papadatos
Συγκλονιστικό βιβλίο. Ο Τζόνι Σμιθ ξυπνά από ένα βαθύ κώμα που κράτησε τέσσερα και κάτι έτη, έχοντας αποκτήσει τη δύναμη να βλέπει το μέλλον.
Από τα καλύτερα του King. Ά... και απίστευτα μελαγχολικό (χωρίς να είμαι σίγουρος καθώς τελευταία συγκινούμαι και με κατάλογο από τα πράκτικερ).
Paul Nelson
Next up on my Stephen King quest is The Dead Zone, again it’s not a review as such but a collection of my thoughts on the book. So there may well be spoilers but I think pretty much everyone has read it a long time ago anyway, all except me.

After reading The Stand & Salem’s Lot in quick succession, you start to appreciate what a spellbinding storyteller The King can be and I can compare these to the other end of the spectrum, his newly released material, Mr Mercedes & Doctor Sleep. The o
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
January 2016-
Oh man! I totally read this book in January of 2014! I even wrote that in the book so I wouldn't forget. I mean, the minute I read the prologue, I knew I had read it recently. Johnny Smith, falls down ice skating and his world is never the same again. How can I forget that I read this? It wasn't even that long ago-two(ish) years ago?
So let me give more of a review though:
This is one of King's greatest character developments. The protagonist is someone we find ourselves very connecte
Kathryn
What comes from knowing things? Nothing. What is the purpose of knowing the future? So you can change it? But wouldn't what you knew about the future and the change you were going to bring to the future, be the way it was supposed to be anyways? Just think about it...

I think in the case of Johnny Smith and The Dead Zone , I would have to say what happened to Johnny and the events surrounding him, happened for a reason.

This is not a horror novel, in my opinion. This is more of a sci-fi novel do
diegomarcapaginas
Oscura, fascinante y enigmática. Conocía esta historia por su serie pero me ha sorprendido bastante. Con aire irreverente King en estado puro y con un final de infarto.
Franco  Santos
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Espectacular libro de King. Es uno de mis favoritos de él. Muy humano, conmovedor, profundo y, aunque sea un poco pesado en algunas partes, adictivo. En La zona muerta, King toca temas como la religión, el desencuentro, la soledad y el poder de forma madura y concisa. Una obra maestra.
Laura Noggle
2.5 Stars: Not bad, not great, but still entertaining.

“Tears streamed down her face, sliding over the smooth hard surface of the nightpack like rain on chrome.” (Blade Runner, anyone?)

This audiobook is excellent, and I would definitely recommend it to someone who is a fan of James Franco (he reads it with such vervre! much accent!) and who also enjoyed the John Travolta movie "Phenomenon."

However, it is my least favorite Stephen King book to date. It's not bad, per se, but not especially grippin
Jadranka
Dobri, stari King.
Bettie☯

Description: Johnny, the small boy who skated at breakneck speed into an accident that for one horrifying moment plunged him into The Dead Zone.

Johnny Smith, the small-town schoolteacher who spun the wheel of fortune and won a four-and-a-half-year trip into The Dead Zone.

John Smith, who awakened from an interminable coma with an accursed power—the power to see the future and the terrible fate awaiting mankind in The Dead Zone.

No, not this, nor indeed this:

or this:

Will the real Johnny Smith plea
Scott
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
** The Stephen King Goodreads Discussion Group is doing a re-read of his works from the beginning to the end. It’s been a long time since I have really immersed myself in Uncle Stevie’s world, but a rate of a book a month, I am all in. My goal is to read and review each one with as much honesty and reflection that I can give. **

Background – “The Dead Zone” was originally published in 1979. It was adapted not only into a fairly successful movie in 1983, but also a cable network television series
Micaela Alvi
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, stephen-king
4.5 stars. Johnny has become one of my favourite King characters. This book was so moving, I absolutely loved it.
Glire
¡Último libro del 2015!
“Johnny deseó estar muerto. Si su talento era un don divino, Dios era un lunático peligroso al que había que apagarle el carro.”

La Zona Muerta es mi tercer libro de Stephen King y aún me sigue asombrando su habilidad de mezclar religión, política, hechos paranormales y psicología en una única trama... ¡y hacer que funcione! Su talento si que es un don divino.

La historia resulta un poco predecible, casi desde el comienzo ya puedes adivinar como va a terminar todo: no h
F.R.
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the reason Stephen King was so loudly vociferous against Donald Trump in 2016 is that he actually predicted him. In The Dead Zone he conjures up Greg Stillson, a maverick politician who doesn’t play by the rules and who, with his poking the establishment in the eye stance, wins himself a huge following. Moreover, much like Trump, Stillson is initially dismissed as an amusing distraction:

“The reporters should have had a field day with Stillson. His colourful, controversial personality se
Ashley
I decided like, I don’t know, six months ago? that I was going to read ALL THE STEPHEN KING, so I was eventually going to read this book (and all his others) no matter what. Deciding which books to read first was the main thing. I decided to read this one first (and Misery and The Stand, come to think of it) because I read his On Writing back in November, and he talks about the process of writing all three of them. The way he talked about them made me want to read them more. Anyway, the point of ...more
Metodi Markov
Nov 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classy, favorites, usa, sci-fi
Първата книга на Краля, която прочетох още като младеж (тогава тийнове нямаше).

Естествено, бях запленен и съм му заклет почитател, ако и през годините понякога да не са ми допадали творбите му.

Но "Мъртвата зона" си остана една от любимите ми книги, заради интересните герои и страхотно развитата история. Многократно съм я препрочитал, винаги с голямо удоволствие.

И не веднъж съм се чудел, как ли щях да действам, ако аз бях на мястото на Джони и какви избори бих направил.

Да успееш читателят да с
Stephen King Fans: The Dead Zone-Book 8 46 159 Jan 25, 2019 07:40PM
Stephen King Fans: Dead Zone 95 518 Oct 24, 2018 10:17PM
Georgette Arnold 1 3 Sep 01, 2018 09:47AM
STEPHEN KING PROJECT: THE DEAD ZONE [NO SPOILERS] 1 4 Feb 26, 2018 01:59AM
STEPHEN KING PROJECT: THE DEAD ZONE [SPOILERS] 1 7 Feb 26, 2018 01:58AM
  • Roadwork
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Dark Tower: Treachery
  • The Inhuman Condition (Books of Blood, #4)
  • Stephen King: The Art of Darkness
  • Dark Forces: New Stories of Suspense and Supernatural Horror
  • Guardian
  • Charlie the Choo-Choo
  • Dark Rivers of the Heart
  • Nightmare At 20,000 Feet
  • Floating Dragon
“Some things were better lost than found.” 169 likes
“We all do what we can, and it has to be good enough, and if it isn't good enough, it has to do.” 56 likes