Start by marking “Murder in the Rue Dauphine” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Rue Dauphine

Murder in the Rue Dauphine (Chanse MacLeod #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  241 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Librarian's Note: alternate cover edition of ISBN 9781555835859 with original blurb on back cover

For gay New Orleans private eye Chanse MacLeod, it seems like a simple case: Find out who is blackmailing his pretty-boy client's rich, closeted boyfriend, collect a nice fat check, and take some much-needed time off. But then the pretty boy turns up dead in what appears to be
Paperback, Alternate cover edition, 227 pages
Published January 2002 by Alyson Publications

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Rue Dauphine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Rue Dauphine

Richard Derus
Rating: 3.5* of five

In honor of LGBT Pride2016, I'm reposting my review of MURDER IN THE RUE DAUPHINE at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud. This is the book in which Greg Herren gives Chanse MacLeod his 1st case. I'm reading the series all over again. Love revisiting familiar friends.

Ije the Devourer of Books
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this story and I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Ex-cop and private investigator Chanse Macleod finds himself trying to solve the murder of a young gay man who had hired Chanse to find a blackmailer. Chanse doesn't like murder cases and he left the police force to concentrate on easy to solve crime such as insurance fraud. Now he finds himself trying to solve what could be a hate crime, a crime of passion, or blackmail gone wrong.

The story takes place in New
Nathan Burgoine
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The idea of #ThrowBookThursday was a hashtag I bumped into on a virtual book club, and I love it. Instead of a Throwback Thursday photograph, you post a book you loved from back when. You all know how I feel about book reviews and bringing attention to missed gems, so…

(review from April, 2006):

I read this in the space of a day. Sometimes that makes me feel guilty - writers work for months on a novel and then I tear through it - but when the book is good, the mystery catches me, and I'm intrigued
Joan
Chanse MacLeod used to be a New Orleans police officer. Now he's a private detective. One day, he's hired by a young gay man, Mike Hansen, to try to find, and stop, the person who his blackmailing Mike and his older, rich, closeted lover. Before Chanse can get his teeth into the case, though, Mike is murdered, and the words "Faggots die" is written in blood on the wall. Though MacLeod (and the police) believe that the murder is more likely connected to the blackmail, the leader of a local gay ri ...more
Writerlibrarian
First novel. Set in New Orleans, we follow Chanse MacLeod, private detective, ex cop. The plot is paper thin, the setting in New Orleans is well done, the characters are interesting but needed to be flesh out a lot more. We don't really care about Chanse or his absent new boyfriend Paul, the bad guys are mostly cardboard villains. This book needed a good editor. The ideas are there, the characters are there but there are a lot of mystery cliches and the fact that the detective is gay doesn't add ...more
Karen
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars--This is definitely a gay mystery not a romance. The writing isn't eloquent; it doesn't flow. It's very hard boiled--which suits the MC and the genre. Herren had an annoying tendency, especially early in the book, to repeat himself--frequently and with little time lapse. I correctly pegged the murderer very early in the read, although to be fair, I did occasionally question my choice, but I never changed it. With all that said, I liked Murder in the Rue Dauphine and plan to read more b ...more
Love Bytes Reviews
5 Heart Review by Kimberley

I didn’t expect this book to be as entertaining as it was and I didn’t expect to be as engrossed as quickly as I was. I started reading and found myself immersed in this mystery and before I knew it, I had reached the end.

Once you start this book, you truly won’t be able to put it away as you are swept up into the story of this Private Investigator and his case, which involves an escort and his rich client being blackmailed. The story takes off after the escort was mur
Jimmy
This was a fantastic story! I’m looking forward to reading all the Chanse MacLeod books! I wish there was one or two sex scenes, but the talk about sex will have to do.
Chanse MacLeod is an ex-cop who has moved recently to New Orleans, and is working as a PI. His 6-week old relationship with Paul is starting to raise questions. Is he a sky slut ? Chanse is approached by Mike at the gym to take up a blackmail case. But when they meet later that afternoon to discuss the details further, he finds M
Suze
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suze by: With BSB vchr from TRR summer party 2014
I enjoyed this murder-mystery.
New Orleans in early 2000's and the living is not pretty!! This is a look at NO at a level under the glitzy surface (and I'm sure there are worse levels!).
The gay community is bitchy, everyone knows each other, secrets are wide known. Chanse is an ex cop turned PI - which is lucky as he is smoking marijuana a lot! Despite his best intentions he gets tangled up with murder and the bitchy gets worse! Either the victim was a nice guy or the worst hussler of them all, e
Jon
I'm so glad Murder In The Rue Dauphine was released recently via ebook - as it was the only Chanse MacLeod private-eye, murder-mystery in the series - the one that started it all, no doubt - I had missed out on. This novel sets up the awesome series and fans of Greg Herren will not be disappointed at all; awesome mystery and introduction to such a wonderful cast of characters - especially Chanse and Venus!

Mercedes Hightower
I really liked this book well developed characters and mystery plot. I think the end seemed a little rushed but still good and worth reading. I do plan on reading the next in the series. I will say I could not STAND Paige, I don't know what it was about her but I found her exceptionally annoying and felt she took something away from the story for me, not saying she's not a decently done character but as a person I just really didn't like her because I thought she was dramatic and arrogant. Just ...more
Brian
May 29, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rue Dauphine is a trashy gay murder mystery. But why are all the characters totally gorgeous? Life isn’t like that. It gets boring reading descriptions of the same looking men. But sometimes trashy is what I want to read. Chanse McLeod, Private Eye and ex-cop, discovers his latest client dead. “Faggots Die” was written in blood staining the wall. The client claims his closeted boy friend is being blackmailed. But how does the organization GRN, Gay Rights Now, fund raise so much money?

Ronald Wilcox
Enjoyable romp in New Orleans. Chanse MacLeod is a gay private detective and he is hired to investigate the blackmailer of a young pretty boy. When he goes to meet with the young man to see the blackmail evidence, he finds him murdered with hate speech written on the wall. Fun to read a story that takes place where I live by an author I know but even more fun because the protagonist is likable and the writing good.
Mark
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Satisfying detective story with gay New Orleans twist. I liked the detective's outsider on the inside parview and his backstory is interesting and believable without being maudlin--as are his musings on the plights and pleasures of the modern gay male. Lots of local color and sexiness and I loved the escallation of the action and intrigue. His world and its denizens are one I look forward to revisiting soon.
Dolphe
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Yes, it did start out rather cheap and tawdry (not like I've never seen that before!). The last quarter of the book seemed to find a nice balance; however, and I suspect that's what we're likely to find in the coming adventures. Of course, I may find myself missing the cheap and tawdry by then .....
Larry
Sep 14, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that I have written several things about gregs books and upon revisiting them,am wondering several things. Do people buy these books for the covers.In his biography why does he always put that he is a physical trainer first.Could he write a novel/mystery involving normal looking people or non gay community people. The women in his books are always more interesting to me than the men.
Michael Adam Reale
Greg Herren is an excellent author. He brings his characters to life with his pen. I particularly liked the crossover characters form his other books in the Scotty Bradley series. Another thing I enjoy about his mysteries is they are relatively easy to follow. I have yet to be disappointed by anything he writes. I whole heartedly recommend this book.
J.D.
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This book is hard for me to review. I liked it, the mystery part was good although I was starting to figure it out. In general the book is in need of some tight editing and the cliche gay men worked my nerves. I will read a couple more of the author's books to see if the writing matured.
LD  Durham
Sep 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to LD by: Carvedwood
Shelves: gay-fiction
This was an easy book to like. The characters were realistic, the setting was beautiful New Orleans, pre-Katrina. And the mystery, while not overly intricate, still had me pondering who did what. I'm very interested in following this series to see where it, and its characters, go.
Philip
Sep 28, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, lgbt-related
What began as a promising mystery series with likeable p.i. Chanse Macleod ended up in a pretty shabby plot with one dimensional characters. About a month after I read this book, I forgot that I had already read it.
Martina
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-orleans
This is a very easy, very enjoyable read. I picked it up at Garden District books in New Orleans and I wish I had bought more from this series. The story is set in present day New Orleans, and the author also put together an anthology of New Orleans stories, "Love, Bourbon Street".
Chris
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay, done, mystery, 2011
Good gay mystery about a New Orleans cop turned PI who shows up to meet a potential new client, only to find the client dead. Even without an actual client, he can't seem to avoid working on the case...
Rick Perez
Fun read. Having lived in New Orleans for eight years - just prior to the time the book seems to be written, it was a pleasure to revisit so many of the places where I'd spent so much time. Plan to read more of this author's titles.
Carol Eshaghy
I would give this mystery ofmurder in the gay community of New Orleans 3 1/2 stars. May not be for all readers as it thievery graphic when describing the gay lifestyle.
Todd
May 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting series and includes a lot of geographical sites from New Orleans
Nicholas Cavenagh
Not a bad contribution to the gay thriller genre. No long sentences and a rather self-righteous hero, but makes up for it with a well-constructed plot.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
The Characters are all cheerless and obsessed with looks and age. Overall I thought Herren had a good chance at a good mystery ruined by a sad environment and characters I didn't care about.
Joe Cosentino
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrific romantic mystery with the heart of New Orleans.
Drianne
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, mystery
Pretty good. Hard-boiled gay private eye investigates a client's murder in New Orleans. The book's summary gives too much away, IMO. Solution was too easy. Liked the writing style.
Chris
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and the entire series.
  • On the Other Hand, Death (Donald Strachey #2)
  • Aloha Candy Hearts (A Russell Quant Mystery, #6)
  • Howtown (Henry Rios Mystery, #3)
  • Fadeout (Dave Brandstetter, #1)
  • Simple Justice (Benjamin Justice, #1)
  • Mahu Surfer (Mahu #2)
  • The Actor's Guide To Murder (A Jarrod Jarvis Mystery #1)
231967
Greg Herren is a New Orleans-based author and editor. Former editor of Lambda Book Report, he is also a co-founder of the Saints and Sinners Literary Festival, which takes place in New Orleans every May. He is the author of ten novels, including the Lambda Literary Award winning Murder in the Rue Chartres, called by the New Orleans Times-Picayune “the most honest depiction of life in post-Katrina ...more
More about Greg Herren...

Chanse MacLeod (7 books)
  • Murder In The Rue St. Ann (Chanse MacLeod, #2)
  • Murder In The Rue Chartres (Chanse MacLeod, #3)
  • Murder In The Rue Ursulines (Chanse MacLeod, #4)
  • Murder In The Garden District (Chanse MacLeod, #5)
  • Murder in the Irish Channel (Chanse MacLeod, #6)
  • Murder in the Arts District (Chanse MacLeod, #7)