Start by marking “Ghosts Can Bleed” as Want to Read:
Ghosts Can Bleed

Ghosts Can Bleed

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  27 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Alien landscapes and mythic societies…creatures of the night and the more terrifying monsters of the human psyche…
Be warned: Ghosts Can Bleed… but it’s not just the blood you should be worried about…

Last Chance To See – what if you had a chance to attend your own funeral? A reincarnation facility offers this opportunity, but you won’t be quite as your family remembered…
Published April 26th 2011 by Dark Continents Publishing, Inc. (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts Can Bleed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts Can Bleed

Tracie McBride
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'm biased because I wrote it...
Rituraj Verma
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Witch craft on paper.

Witchcraft is the only way to describe the book. Don't go by the title or by the cover- they will mislead you into thinking that Tracie writes horror stories, when what she has really produced is suspiciously like black magic. Each sentence creates an ethereal world where settings, characters and plots evolve with every new clause, often forcing readers to question their own assumptions about what they thought the story was about until they encounter the next sentence.

Just w
Pete Aldin
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Horror. Scifi. Fantasy. Tracie McBride does them all and does them well. I've found this selection of speculative fiction short stories perfect for filling in train trips, reading during breakfast and helping me escape reality after a long day at work.

My favorite story sees a woman temporarily resurrected to attend her own funeral. Gold.

Do yourself a favour. Buy it.
Hal Bodner
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every once in awhile a short fiction collection comes along which eschews vanity in favor of bowling the reader over with the talent of an author. Jack Ketchum's "Peaceable Kingdom" was one such collection and Tracie McBride's "Ghosts Can Bleed" is another.

McBride's literary voice is as strong as it is variegated. Though like all readers I found I enjoyed some stories better than others, there's not a dud between these covers. Each piece is a delightful little gem, complete and compact, some sp
Matthew Tait
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are many writers in the Australian echelon that I am familiar enough to know by name but not by craft. Tracie McBride (originally from New Zealand), has spent the last few years cutting an impressive swath into the community with a staple brand of schizophrenic dark fiction tales. Ghosts Can Bleed is the weighty culmination of a hybrid of stories spanning years, with all the pieces here intertwined with short macabre poetry.

One of the things I noticed straight away: Tracie does not follow
Rob Grimes
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book as part of a competition that the publisher, Dark Continents, ran earlier in the year.

And I'm very glad that I did. I'm a big fan of the Speculative Fiction genre and, due to me being currently in the process of writing another book myself, I find that I increasingly only having time to read short fiction. Tracie McBride's collection was perfect for me, it fit into my hectic schedule and it offered many genuinely original and shocking story-lines. I lost count
Adrian Chamberlin
The true essence of dark speculative fiction.

I hesitated to give this a review for some time, because I'm part of the publishing firm that gave birth to this volume and I'm aware my review may not seem impartial.

However, as Dark Continents Publishing turns one year old I decided to revisit the collection I read last year with a view to reviewing it. I'm pleased to say I enjoyed this book even more the second time around. Make no mistake, this is a collection that will stand up to repeated readin
Leadie
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rather enjoyed this book. Since I read on the metro there are a lot of short stories and poems where I didn't have to stop in the middle of one. the tone and tempo change as you move through the book always leading to something a little different from what you just read.
While I enjoy this type of book it isn't something that everyone will get into. If you want a major story plot that let's you escape from the real world you might want something else.
But if you want those snippets for your sh
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Katharine is a judge for the Aurealis Awards. This review is the personal opinion of Katharine herself, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of any judging panel, the judging coordinator or the Aurealis Awards management team.

To be safe, I won't be recording my review here until after the AA are over.

Though the cover put me off a little (shouldn't judge, yet it simply does sway you a little) I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this collection. I felt it was cohesive and a high level o
Kelly
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ghosts Can Bleed is an artful blend of Sci-Fi, Horror and Fantasy in the form of short stories and poems (see synopsis for a more thorough breakdown). All I can think of to say is that I LOVED it! Tracie McBride provides a refreshing take on all three genres. Some of the short stores are actually very short, and it's a testament to Ms. McBride's writing style that I never felt a story ended too soon. I cannot recommend this book enough, and I can't wait to read more from Ms. McBride!
Pierre Mare
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well thought through, highly imaginative short stories, with strong storytelling elements. Misleadingly lumped under the horror genre. If you are waiting for the next Neil Gaiman, this will fill the hole.
connie
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty darn good

5. stars the short stories wasn't boring they were about the right length. I especially liked the very short ones that ended oddly. thank yo
Noor Jahangir
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Ghosts Can Bleed is an eclectic collection of short stories and poems, in fantasy, horror and sf genres, by New Zealander, Tracie McBride. The titular story is about a chap called Maurice, who believes he is dead and is trying to convince his wife of this fact but all is not as it seems. The opening story, Last Chance to See is about a recently deceased woman that has been brought back temporarily through an avatar programme so that she can say good-bye to her loved ones, but instead is exposed ...more
Suzanne
I couldnt finish this book so I dont think it is fair to rate it. It was the first short story book of this type, science fiction/horror,that I have read and it just didnt appeal to me. The stories were good enough but not riveting and exciting enough for me to want to keep reading. The poems werent really my kind of thing either.

I got this book through a goodreads giveaway.
Roy Huff
Brittni
May 03, 2013
Dana
May 24, 2013
  • Nightsiders (Twelve Planets book 1)
  • More Scary Kisses
  • Eclipse Four: New Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Hall of Lost Footsteps
  • Love and Romanpunk (Twelve Planets, #2)
  • Terminally Beautiful
  • One Small Step: An Anthology of Discoveries
  • The Gate: 13 Dark and Odd Tales
  • Shivers VI
  • Ariel
  • The Wicked Wood (Tales from the Tower, #2)
  • Things to Do in Denver When You're Un-Dead
  • The Crooked God Machine
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • The Human (War of the Seasons, #1)
  • Warmed and Bound: A Velvet Anthology
  • The Girl with No Hands (and Other Tales)
  • Returning My Sister's Face and Other Far Eastern Tales of Whimsy and Malice
Tracie McBride is a New Zealander who lives in Melbourne, Australia with her husband and three children. Her work has appeared or is forthcoming in over 80 print and electronic publications, including Bleed, FISH and the Stoker Award-nominated anthologies Horror for Good and Horror Library Volume 5. Her debut collection Ghosts Can Bleed contains much of the work that earned her a Sir Julius Vogel ...more
More about Tracie McBride...