Start by marking “Heinous” as Want to Read:
Heinous

Heinous

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  23 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
HEINOUS- An ancient evil born in the fire at the dawn of time with an insatiable hunger for violence and dread. Cursed with a weak physical form in our plane of reality HEINOUS seeks out hosts to do his bidding and feed his need for brutality and atrocity. Gavin Wagner is a decent kid from a happy home-not exactly the kind of person you think of as an instrument of evil. G ...more
Published May 5th 2011 by Createspace (first published July 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Heinous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heinous

Patrick D'Orazio
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Before I started on Heinous, I assumed it was going to be something like Mr. Moon's Nightmares, which was a series of short stories and novellas with some intertwined themes to it. Instead, this was a single tale-a tale about Gavin, a somewhat normal teenager that occasionally has dark visions of torture and other disturbing things run through his mind. Still, he seems relatively innocent, and carefree, living his life in a college town hanging out with his best friend and not worry about much o ...more
William III
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you are reading this, then chances are that you are a big fan of horror. You like to be scared. You like to feel uncomfortable. You like to see and read things that make you squirm. But being the big fan of horror that you are, you've probably seen it all and haven't seen or read anything that has truly terrified you in years. I get it, I feel the same way. It's hard to be shocking in today's world.

Jonathan Moon has found a way to be shocking in today's world.

Even if you've read his collectio
Rodney
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am picky when it comes to horror. Many of us grew up on Stephen King and while I would not change that personally, I have little interest in a repeat of those types of stories these days. I bring this up because I wasn’t sure about this one after the long dream sequence which opens the book. I set it aside for a bit and had a feeling it would be overly descriptive and fail to pull me in. I was so wrong, and I should have known better, considering who wrote it. Moon consistently delivers in his ...more
Donald Armfield
Mr. Moon takes demon possession to an extreme horrorcore level. Leaving behind hundreds of scattered bodies, tortured, decapitated, raped and buried.

This is a story of death from within, crawling through the mind and giving your fingertips and eyes a blood thirsty vivid visual of what Mr. Moon can write.
Damn this is a great book.
Nicolas Wilson
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review from the wife:
Very vivid, well written horror. The first sequence felt overly long(A quarter of the book?!) but the stream-of-consciousness style of it was well done. She said it was very gruesome, very over-the-top in the depravity- exactly her style of horror! She said Moon may be her new favorite horror author. She said that his mise-en-scene was reminiscent of Clive Barker, with an extra helping of sexual openness, and that his tone was perfect for it-clear and concise, but with a ver
Jason Armstrong
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Usually when something is over hyped I tend to end up feeling let down. But in this case I found myself woefully unprepared by the hype and praise when I read Heinous. I was told by everyone how gory and disturbing it was but I figured I've been into horror since grade school and nothing really ever gets to me. Don't get me wrong, this book is terribly gory and brutal but what is truly scary about it is the humanity the Jonathan Moon puts into it.

I can't think of the last time I've liked a book
Jason Allen
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Moon is one of the best and most consistent horror writers currently operating in independent fiction and Heinous is a perfect example of that.
The easiest way I can describe Heinous is, take a little bit of Stephen King, circa: The Body, add in some Clive Barker, hellish, grotesquely beautiful, nightmare imagery, ala': Maybe, The Hellbound Heart and you have a horror story with a lot of heart and devastation.
Whereas most of Moon's contemporary peers tend to wade in the B-movie/comic boo
Clyde Wolfe
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mr. Moon's Heinous is, indeed summed up by his own descriptor---Horrorcore!

Though the beginning of the book seems to unfold in a foggy haze, one in which you have no idea what direction the tale is about to take, it quickly steamrolls into an ocean of blood. Moments of twisted levity drive the characters home and make you chuckle with macabre glee at the oddest of moments---in a good way.

By the end I was wishing there was MORE of the story to read. Especially regarding the latter half of the mai
Bryan Hall
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It isn't just the story that stands out in Mr. Moon's stellar book - It's the writing itself. It's rare for a debut novel to include such great prose. The book moves back and forth from dreams to reality, and the writing is so strong that the two blend together and create a brutal, haunting story that stays with you.

It may take a bit of adjusting to the present tense style that the book's written in, and it isn't my favorite style, but it's done well and actually serves the book by adding an et
FabulousRaye
Jul 04, 2011 marked it as to-read
I'm moving this week. I can't give Mr. Moon's books the time they deserve. When I'm settled in, It's MOONFEST 2011!
Adam House
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Moon is consistent in many ways: he's original, he blends scares and gruesome imagery with the best of them, and his writing is excellent. On the outside, Heinous is a tale of possession, but it's not the kind you've read about time and time again. It is more among of the lines of Blatty's Exorcist but with cosmic-like demon's worthy of Lovecraft's Old Ones, and dripping with Barker's taste for blood. Heinous is so much more than a possession tale--its fresh, exciting, and terrifying!

H