Start by marking “Стартап. 11 мастер-классов от экс-евангелиста Apple и самого дерзкого венчурного капиталиста Кремниевой долины” as Want to Read:

Это уникальное руководство для начинающего любое дело: от разработки нового продукта в рамках существующей компании до создания интернациональной корпорации и церковной общины. Цель этой книги - помочь вам создать нечто великое, не завязнув в теории и ненужных деталях и получив при этом все необходимые знания.

Гай Кавасаки - авторитет для предпринимателей по всему миру - д
254 pages
Published 2010 by Юнайтед Пресс (first published September 9th 2004)

Chad Warner
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: Momentum MI
An excellent handbook for those starting a business or non-profit, stressing function over form and action over planning. The lessons apply to organizations whether they're bootstrapping or seeking funding from venture capitalists or angel investors. Kawasaki includes plenty of historical examples and firsthand experience, making this a practical real-world resource that's more valuable than a simply conceptual textbook.

Guy Kawasaki is a respected serial entrepreneur whose articles I've read in
Quinn
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmm... Pretty boring for a book that is suppose to light a fire. The real art of starting is starting, which I did, I just couldn't finish it.
Charles
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I'm utterly bewildered by the high ratings and rave reviews this book is getting. I'm not seeing anything that's new or thought-provoking from it and, instead, the book seems to hop randomly around the topic of startups without getting particularly deep into anything. A lot of it seems to be taken from the ideas of others, such as The Lean Startup and the works of Seth Godin, but at least Kawasaki attributes these ideas to them and refers to their books, so at least his readers can go off and re ...more
Conrad Zero
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business start ups planning to use venture capital to grow into a megacorp
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Not bad, but focused on a very niche market. The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki is subtitled "The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything." Unfortunately, that isn't entirely true, unless you consider reading only the chapters that pertain to you. The book does have a very specific audience in mind, and the subtitle should have been "How to take your start-up-business-idea and use venture capital to become the next Apple/Nike/Coke/Microsoft."

Like I said, pretty niche,
Anita Campbell
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is one of the best startup books out there -- and Kawasaki's best book. But it's not a book for everyone.

The focus is on tech entrepreneurs. While much of the advice is applicable to other industries, the book will hit the bullseye specifically with those starting technology businesses.

Another thing about this book: parts of it contain advice for those seeking funding from angel and VC investors. Since that covers a tiny percentage of the entrepreneurial population, it's really targ
John Montgomery
A book by Guy Kawasaki is always a fun read. Kawasaki has a great sense of humor and is not afraid to speak his truth. The Art of the Start and Rob Adams' A Good Hard Kick in the Ass are two of my favorite books about the process of starting a company. Both authors speak their truth.

Kawasaki has an innate sense of how much information the brain can absorb at any one time. This book is composed of lots of digestible nuggets of advice, which he brings to life with stories and quotations. Kawasaki'
Misha Kessler
I'm honestly quite confused by the high ratings, and unfortunately, I'll be adding an unpopular opinion.

I found this to be entirely too lazy. It's a collection blog posts copied and pasted into book form. (Did anyone else notice when the copyeditors didn't even take the time to convert lines like "Check out the source by clicking here" into footnoted links, which would at least allow us to write the link into an address bar to see it ourselves?? I would jokingly poke the pages and shout "DARN I
Lance
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up earlier in the year while browsing in the bookstore. That's partly why I picked up the book; I succumbed to a dangerous moment. Putting me in a bookstore is like putting an alcoholic in a bar -- we're both going to get something.

Yet I also found the subtitle enchanting. "The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything." I was initially intrigued by the idea of starting my life over again, so I sat down on the floor in the bookstore aisle to see what this
Stan Stinson
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My head is about to explode!

I am only half way through The Art of the Start 2.0 and it has put so much information into my head it is about to explode and I had to pause here and write this review. I don't often do reviews before I finish the book but this is an exception because this is an exceptional book. There is so much valuable information contained in this book if you have already started or are thinking about starting your own business you need to get your copy today. Use it as a referen
Matthew Cooney
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Accessible with great, practical advice, especially regarding the forming of a team and bootstrapping versus VC funding. Much of what he's written is consistent with what I'm learning on the Meetup/networking circuit here in Boston.

You can skim through the social media chapters (it's dated - particular emphasis on Google+).

I recommend to anyone considering taking the plunge or actually plunging.
Alison P
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read the first 20 pages of a lot of supposedly similar books and given up on them. Time, after all, is one of the most valuable assets to an entrepreneur, and I won't have mine wasted. But with The Art of the Start I was learning and thinking on every page, and genuinely got excited about my own business by reading this book; it doesn't get much better than that.

Guy Kawasaki has a gift for getting right to the heart of an issue, in a no-nonsense way, which of course every entrpreneur needs;
Michael Finocchiaro
The Art of the Start (2004) is another killer crash course but this time in starting stuff. It is clear that Guy took away wheelbarrows of experience and war stories from his stint at Apple and that he has turned that into gold at his current venture, http://www.garages.com – who, incidentally, helps find venture capital for startups in SillyValley. This book is short, witty, readable and an essential “pump you up” for those thinking of starting a business or a venture or a project or whatever. ...more
Emily
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Fun, informative read from someone who knows what he's talking about. He includes interesting and memorable stories to illustrate his points. He also provides enough examples and details that you feel that you have a chance of actually implementing what he suggests without belaboring it or overgeneralizing to the point of uselessness.

Particularly liked the chapters on "being a mensch" and rainmaking. He advocates a boot-strapping, "get it done" business mentality with a solid core of integrity.

C
Lynn
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The draw back of listening to this on audiobook as opposed to reading it in print was that I didn't do the exercises or write down ideas of things that I really thought were important ... it is hard to do when driving 65 miles per hour down the highway!

But it is my hope to re-listen to this book soon so that ideas can percolate in my head and turn into action.

This breaks the project into many points. If you are starting a business or a church group or a new hobby; you need a plan. All projects s
Deogratias Rweyemamu
An entrepreneur's handbook

Funny thing about this book is that I stumbled upon it. I was initially convinced to read the Lean Startup. As usual, I thought I'd read a few critical Amazon reviews. All it took was the first review, and thanks to that random guy, I've enjoyed quite a wealth a knowledge. This is not to take away anything from the Lean Startup, in fact, I admit that I'm pretty biased since I haven't read it. But compared to many entrepreneurship books I've read in the past, none of the
kareem
Aug 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
original review:

I first heard of Guy Kawasaki when his brilliant college graduation speech passed through my email client several years ago. His speech impressed with his practical insight, entertainment value, and conciseness. I later learned that he had evangelized the original Macintosh while at Apple, which made his book on startups a no-brainer read for me.

The Art of the Start is a quick read, and is written in Kawasaki's entertaining and informative
Heba
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the most beautiful stories in this book "Daniel J. Simons of the University of Illinois and Christopher F.
Chabris of Harvard University ran an interesting experiment that has
rainmaking implications. They asked students to watch a video of
two teams of players throwing basketballs to one another. The students'
task was to count how many passes one team made to their
teammates.Thirty-five seconds into the video, an actor dressed as a gorilla
entered the room the players were in, thumped his chest, and
Liz
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intelligent, straightforward practices

Kawasaki is an incredibly intelligent guy who's learned from his own practices - that includes successes AND failures, which is really the best way to learn. Entrepreneurs will learn how to get their ducks in a row before simply diving into their new business, which is the most important way to do it right. I can't wait to reread my bookmarked pages as I create my own small business. His straightforward approach avoids technical jargon, instead taking us ri
Herve
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Art of the Start is a great book because it inspires. Guy Kawasaki, the author, does tell you how to build a convincing vision, a convincing pitch. It is not about writing a 40-page business plan. It is about the “value of making meaning” which may induce making money. The book is clear, simple and once you have read it, you will not see things the same way… go, run and buy it!

A brief quote from the book which illustrates why start-ups are important.

“Innovation often originates outside exist
Lamec Mariita
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was funny and inspiring. It gives you tips and advices on how to launch your company or project. A very quick read that cuts to the chase and provides insight that every Entrepreneur with or without a plan should read. The book written in a style that is very entertaining, yet contains so much wisdom that it feels like you have Guy sitting beside you as mentor. It's the book you should select if you want to read one book about start ups.
Dave Charbonneau
One of four books I recommend for taking ideas from mind to market. Kawasaki breaks things down into simple steps. This is the "How-To" outline to start any project; as well as how-to present the project to prospective partners, investors, or customers. Combined with the right philosophy, this book should help any project get off the ground without all the useless rhetoric.

You can see this book in action as I move projects forward at http://SelfEnterpriser.com
Loic Banet
Mar 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was quite disappointed with this book and found it empty. It's a good introduction without any particular ideas. I mean they are many challenging startups books with great ideas, from Eric Reis, Peter Thiel, Ben Horovitz.
This book is nothing but a summary of facts. The worst thing is that most of these facts are obvious or not true anymore. I mean who does a 30 pages business plan nowadays ?
In short only read this book if you want a new conversation topic at the dinner table.
Joe Robles
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: executive-shelf
There's a reason this book is recommended reading for anyone thinking of starting a business! It has great ideas that even an existing company could use to help make their business better.

The book is primarily focused on tech start-ups, which makes sense, but even if you're planning on starting a brick and mortar store you can adapt the ideas to fit your business.

Definitely read whether you're planning on selling cupcakes or software.
Luca Pennisi
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really well written book. It contains many useful information on how to start a company, it's a MUST for everyone who wants to start something. Another positive note is the writing style: easy to understand and absolutely not repetitive, which is rare for these kind of books and shows that the author knows a lot about the subject.
Todd Ramsey
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are very few books that I've read in one day. This is one of them. Simple, practical and incredibly valuable, this book is a straight forward guide to starting a company, non-profit or church – though the latter group will have to drawn some conclusions of their own, as the book is definitely targeted to those looking to create a new product or service.

I strongly recommend this book.
Jessica
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I'd heard good things about this book, but ultimately found it disappointing. Might be ideal for someone just entering the business world, but as the owner of a small design studio I found much of the advice to be useless or outdated.
Alena B.
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To start your business first of all you need the idea that will change the world. If you have it, this book will help you to represent it in the right way. The advises are simple and obvious but nonetheless are still brilliant. This is a desk book for all beginners
Mark Manderson
Nov 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this difficult to sit through. A lot of common sense advice such as "bounce ideas off of many people as you'll get more feedback".
Qwantu Amaru
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything you need

With this updated version, Guy Kawasaki has cornered the market on making meaning. So much helpful advice I gained from this, I took a note or highlight on almost every page! Well organized, easy to read, and a little something extra at the end! Thanks Guy!
Omar Halabieh
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Great companies. Great divisions. Great schools. Great churches. Great not-for-profits. When it comes to the fundamentals of starting up, they are more alike than they are different. The key to their success is to survive the microscope tasks while bringing the future closer."

2- "GIST (GREAT IDEAS FOR STARTING THINGS): 1. MAKE MEANING 2. MAKE MANTRA. 3. GET GOING. 4. DEFINE YOUR BUSINESS MODEL. No 5. WEAVE A MAT (MILES

• Essentials of Accounting
  • Growing a Business
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • The Knack: How Street-Smart Entrepreneurs Learn to Handle Whatever Comes Up
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • Eric Sink on the Business of Software
  • Principles of Statistics
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business with a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Seeing What's Next: Using the Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change
  • Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles
I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1954. My family lived in a tough part of Honolulu called Kalihi Valley. We weren’t rich, but I never felt poor-because my mother and father made many sacrifices for my sister and me. My mother was a housewife, and my father was a fireman, real estate broker, state senator, and government official during his long, distinguished career.

I attended Iolani School where
“The next time you think that there's something that you "can't live without", wait for a week and then see if you're still alive or not” 18 likes
“Many years ago Rudyard Kipling gave an address at McGill University in Montreal. He said one striking thing which deserves to be remembered. Warning the students against an over-concern for money, or position, or glory, he said: “Some day you will meet a man who cares for none of these things. Then you will know how poor you are.” —Halford E. Luccock” 4 likes