Start by marking “Hotblood (House of Slide, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hotblood (House of Slide, #1)

Hotblood

(House of Slide #1)

He stole a kiss from the wrong girl…
Left without a soul, 17-year-old Dariana Sanders waited to die. There was nothing left to live for, nothing to feel besides the aching cold that never stopped. Her parent’s marriage was in shambles, and her brother, the only one who understood, the only one who knew how to make the cold go away, was gone forever. The only thing Dariana k
Published May 10th 2011 (first published March 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hotblood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hotblood

Megs ♥
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book, but I don't think I would continue this series. At first when I started reading it I honestly thought it as a bit confusing. It took a while for the author to explain the Houses, and before that I didn't find the book to be too engaging. Another confusing thing was the POV changes. They just weren't clear, and it's not like I was was wanting each POV change to shout the characters name every time, but a quick sentence in the beginning of each that clearly shows who's POV it was would ...more
Nicole
Hotblood was a very different Paranormal or maybe Fantasy novel? Not sure where to classify it...

First we have 17 year old Dariana who is a hybrid Wild/Cool we meet her at her twin brothers funeral, she is a shell of a girl who is living without her soul. Then we have Lewis who is a Hotblood. I wont even start to try to explain the races here, while it is a bit confusing to begin with because the author just jumps into the story like we already know this world it did not take me that long to cat
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Unfortunately, while this book holds a lot of potential and is a fairly decent first book in a series, it is extremely difficult to get into. The problem is not that it is slow, the problem is that it is too fast. You’re pulled into a new imaginative world and terms such as Hotblood, Wild, Cool and Hollow are thrown at you without any full explanation of what it all means. Not to mention, the prologue just sort of throws you in the middle of a funeral without any explanation as to why Lewis is t ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: R2R
Shelves: reviewed
I received this book as a part of Read to Review.

The book was like an engaging, intriguing, yet challenging like 500 pieces puzzle in a good way. This book is unlike any book I’ve ever read. This is always a good thing. But with all the world building and no prior knowledge about this world, it was sometimes a little disconcerting not understanding at once. But for me the author did a great job of answers most of my question on her own terms in the story. And I enjoy a good puzzle immensely.

Dari
M.L. John
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Four houses, all alike in dignity, in the town of Sanders where we lay our scene…

Just kidding. You guys thought I was going to get all iambic pentameter for a minute there, didn’t you? How much work do you think that would be, to write a book review in iambic pentameter? And the Bard did whole plays! Sheesh. The Elizabethan era sounds like a lot of effort.

But to the point. I just finished reading Hotblood: A House of Slide novel, by Juliann Whicker. It is a YA paranormal romance set in a world
Sheri
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Hotblood is the story of seventeen-year-old Dariana. Dariana's brother, Devlin, had stolen her soul from her 10 years earlier. She had no idea of what had happened, of course, and thought he was the greatest brother for being so caring towards her, although the truth was he was barely keeping her alive. Dariana had gone through much of her life an empty shell. The story opens up on Devlin's funeral, and with him now gone, Dariana's existence was also going to be coming to an end.

Lewis, a Hotblo
Candis
I received this book as an R2R - as always, thanks to the hard working folks that allow us to read these books.

This story follows Dariana, a girl with a very sad past, and even more perplexing future. She awakens one day trying to learn how to live again. Sent to her Father for one summer, then back to her mother Dari must learn to adapt and control her fury. If she doesn't...someone could get hurt, or worse. Now enter Lewis, the boy she's been dreaming about she's came back from virtual death.
Jade
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy, ya, r-t-r
Reading this felt like being a kid eavesdropping a really cool conversation but only catching bribes of the discussion. I felt like I was thrown in the middle of a complex, compelling world and nobody would explain things to me. It was quite frustrating because I just felt like I missed a lot. It's still a great story and the worlbuilding is original, the characters compelling. If the book was less confusing I'd rate it 4 or 5 stars because there are really cool stuffs in it. It has a lot of pot ...more
Ning
Dec 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow! Just Wow. I am surprised by how much I liked this book! The beginning was really confusing, because I was trying to keep up with who was who and what race was what and what house was what, but I really shouldn’t have tried so hard. It becomes so much clearer after the prologue.

Dari hasn’t had a soul for ten years. Normally, the soulless dies after a few weeks, but Devlin, her brother, the one who took her soul, kept her alive. Through a chance kiss with a stranger, she stole his soul witho
Marina
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Once upon a time there was a beautiful brilliant woman who gained the love of an immortal Nether. They had four children who are the parents of all the breeds in the world.

Cools, Hotbloods, Wilds and Hollows.
Cools can manipulate the emotions and desires of those around them.
Wilds are obsessive planners and have power over physical world.
Hollows can manipulate souls, take one and absorb its energy.
Hotbloods are physical and emotional.

There is only one rule. Breeds do not mix.

Until one day one of
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hotblood (House of Slide #1) is about Dariana and Lewis. Dariana is a young girl whose soul was stolen from her by her twin brother Devlin 10 years ago. She is the daughter of the House of Slide who is one of the 4 houses (Wilds, cools, hotbloods, and Hollows) Her brother has died and since he has stolen her soul she doesn't have much time. A few days after her brother's funeral she meets Lewis, who is a hotblood. She goes out for a walk to the place that her and Devlin used to go together and L ...more
Francisca Darko
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Hotblood by Juliann Whicker was a good change from the usual books I have been reading recently.
I thought the idea was very original even though some parts were quite confusing and I found myself having to read over a couple of pages.
The beginning of the story was really interesting and all the secrets and the new world that was being created intrigued me especially the idea of Devlin stealing Dariana's soul.
I loved the characters! My favorite character was probably satan and Grim and I have to
Shy The WidowMaker
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this book once I got into it. The beginning was a little slow for me until we got to know more about Dari. I loved learning about all the different people with the Wilds,Cools,Hotbloods and even liked the Nether creature. I have to say I didnt really start caring about Dari until she further into the book. I loved the dynamics of her and Lewis and it was a nice twist to his backstory. I even loved the character of Satan because under all that gruffiness he really was a softy when it came ...more
Lovey Dovey Books
Hotblood is a very original story. At some points throughout the story it was hard to keep up with the different Houses, but it came together in the last few chapters.

The story seemed to not have a concrete point: Were they looking for Devlin's killer, did the Nether want something, are the Houses secret or does everyone know about them? Most of the questions are basically answered in the same event in the story. The characters kept the story rolling, especially Dari and Lewis. Hotblood didn't m
Samantha
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really liked Hotblood.
The concept is well executed and different than what is out right now. I like that you begin with lots of questions and slowly throughout the book, the answers are revealed. The characters in this book are excellent, all well developed and intersting. I liked the House of Slide brothers the best:) The book throws you a few surprises here and there and keeps it interesting.
I'm excited for the next book.
I would definitely recommend.
Billy Bob
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I is the best book i read this year i rat it 50 tsars
Jen
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jen by: Juliann Whicker
Be careful who you kiss - they could steal your soul !

BWAHAHAHAHA!

I seriously didn't want this book to end - WOW!
This book is beyond what I thought it would be - I was so confused in the Prologue - First of all I didn't know who was telling the story - Girls POV or Guys POV -

In the beginning – we hear from Lewis - you are being taken to a cemetery with an old man. He won’t tell who died, or anything about it - but Lewis goes anyways.
While at the funeral, it starts to rain. He sees someone -
Fathima
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Honest confession #1 : This book was sooo not what i thought it would be!
Honest confession #2 : I will definitely read the second book in this series because the sneak peak at the end of book one was just amazing !!
Wow , wow and i mean wow ! This book is so different from anything i've read before . At a time where we mostly read about vampire's , werewolves and fairies , this one sure came across as an exciting change and a wonderful surprise . Lets take a look at the good points in this book
Suki
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So.... when can I read the next book?

I love reading books that draw me in until I realize I have read for a long time. A long time is relative, of course. Prior to having kids, a long time would be hours on end and that was fairly frequent. 30 minutes seems to be a long time nowadays. Life just isn't the same with kids.

Back to Hotblood...

I won't even begin to give a synopsis of this book. I told my husband that I thought he would like this book and he asked what it was about. I think my mouth op
Bryer
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, my-r2rs
I really enjoyed the concept of this book! The idea was original but not overwhelmingly so. It didn't try too hard to be something it wasn't, which I respect in a book. It was wonderfully crafted and easy to follow, for the most part. I was shocked how easy it was to really put yourself into the character's roles and how flawless it was to identify with them. There was a very real element to the people Whicker created.

The plot was exaggerated in a dramatic way that added this edgy and dangerous
Sara Chatfield
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had been bashing the helpless whiny heroine in another book not seconds before reading this book so I was in the mood to be overly critical. But although she goes through some pretty challenging discoveries and drastic changes that fundamentally shake what normal people believe makes up their character her approach to her own life is believable and likeable. The other characters in the book aren't half bad either.

I can hardly imagine what it would be like to wake up one day and realize that y
Jamio
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is available on Amazon and Smashwords as a self-published ebook, and it is well above average. The fantasy elements are original and imaginative, the adventure and suspense is well-paced, and the characters are solidly built. It is a breeze to read and the cliff-hanger ending will leave you with just enough to keep you until the second book in the series comes out.

The plot: Dariana Sanders had her soul stolen from her ten years ago by a brother who is now dead. When she wakes to discov
Kris
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow. I am always amazed by writers that can come up with such an elaborate world! It required some concentration through the first 1/3 of the book to really understand the different types of people. But, once I sorta figured it out, it was an interesting read. Not something I would normally gravitate towards but I enjoyed it. It was very "smartly" written which isn't something I can say about too many indie books. ;-)
Coyora Dokusho
Read 2 times

January 3, 2015

O.M.G. it was soooooo good. There were some discordant notes, but overall the whole thing was just so great - On to the next one!!!

January 25, 2016

Continued to be gloriously awesome. Actually ended up being hesitant to read the second book because felt like it couldn't possibly be as good as the first - BUT IT WAS. Noticed a handful of typos this time around. World-building: great. Characters: I love them with unholy love. Plot: Cool.
Shay
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
I could not get into this book. I was so confused right from the start and it got worse as I kept reading. I would have a hard time recommending this book.

My Daughter is a media specialist and I have been reading YA for many years. There are so many good series out there but this is definitely not one of them.
Vanya D.

Hotblood
A House of Slide Novel
By Juliann Whicker

Genre: Paranormal Upper YA

He stole a kiss from the wrong girl…

The
Christy
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was excited to be able to get this book as a read and review a few weeks ago. I couldn't get over the synopsis of the book and how good I thought it was going to be! Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed...however, I wasn't 5 star worthy pleased,either.

So, to say I was completely interested in this book from the beginning would be a complete lie. I want quick pace, amazing story line, extreme characters, and excitment the WHOLE way. Hotblood started out exciting, intriguing, and mysterious. I
Shelley
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Why I chose to review this book:

I’m shallow at times. I admit it. The cover with the tattoos grabbed my attention and the blurb sealed my fate. I had to read this book.

What I liked about this book:

1. The world building was very good and original. The Hotblood world is different from anything I’ve read before. I’m fairly new to the Young Adult genre, so it’s possible other readers might have read something similar, but I enjoyed reading about Ms. Whicker’s world.

The world is made up of Wilds who
Becket Morgan
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, e-book
Seventeen-year-old Dariana Sanders wandered through much of her life an empty shell. Her soul had been stolen from her as a child and now that her beloved brother was gone, it seemed that her cold, colorless existence was finally at its end. When Lewis Axel Nialls was drawn inexplicably to follow her into the woods, neither of them knew this stolen moment would be the start of so much chaos and destruction. Lewis might be perfectly placed to save Dariana from the cold, who will save them from ea ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Night of the Dragon
  • Girl vs Ghost (Misdirected Magic Trilogy, #1)
  • Her Dark Destiny (Hunters of the Dark, #1)
  • The Calling
  • Shooting Stars (Surah Stormsong, #1)
  • The Keeper (Mist, #1)
  • The Last Princess (Pack Seduction, #3)
  • Awakening the Nightmare (Symmetria #1)
  • Legacy (Tri-Realms Saga, #3)
  • Abithica
  • Bridger (Bridger, #1)
  • Succubus Lost (From the Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency, #2)
  • Eden-West (Eden, #2)
  • Eternal (Holloway Pack, #0.5)
  • Being
  • Taken (Channie, #2)
  • Dark Moon (Spirit Wild #3)
  • Elemental: The First (Primord, #1)
I am a lover of sunshine and flowers to combat the effects of my somewhat overwhelming imagination. I love daydreaming, reading, and eating watermelon in the bathtub while I write.

My favorite people in the world are my readers, those who 'get' me. I love hearing how I can improve my writing as well as what I'm doing right. I love to connect with my readers and hear your thoughts, and totally fangi

House of Slide (3 books)
  • Hybrid (House of Slide, #2)
  • House of Slide: Hunter (House of Slide Book #3)
“I stared at my broccoli with all kinds of menace.” 6 likes