Start by marking “Small Medium at Large” as Want to Read:
Small Medium at Large

Small Medium at Large

After she’s hit by lightning at a wedding, twelve-year-old Lilah Bloom develops a new talent: she can hear dead people. Among them, there’s her overopinionated Bubby Dora; a prissy fashion designer; and an approval-seeking clown who livens up a séance. With Bubby Dora leading the way, these and other sweetly imperfect ghosts haunt Lilah through seventh grade, and help her ...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Small Medium at Large, please sign up.

Start your review of Small Medium at Large
Lisa
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is a funny, sweet paranormal with a touch of romance, perfect for the YA paranormal lover's little sister.
Erika Marks
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One recently-divorced Dad whose dating prospects are slim to none. A cute boy crush who doesn’t know she exists. And did we mention Know-It-All eight grader Dolly Madison?

Seventh-grader Lilah Bloom thought she already had enough problems.

Then at her mother’s wedding, she’s struck by lightning. But it’s after she wakes up that the real trouble starts. Suddenly Lilah can communicate with ghosts. The good news? Her late Bubby Dora reappears in her life. The bad news? Bubby brings a troupe of often
Gina
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE by Joanne Levy - (Bloomsbury-7/3/12)

SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE (SMaL) first caught my eye when I was reading through the Publisher's Marketplace New Deals several months ago (the title is just so brilliant!) so I was thrilled when Joanne Levy joined the Class of 2k12 debut authors group. I am the lucky first Class of 2k12 author to read the ARC of SMaL and since I have a 7th grade daughter (like M/C Lilah), I asked my daughter if she would like to read it before I did.

My daughte
Sarvenaz Tash
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Adorable, quirky and oh-so-funny. This charming middle-grade book is a surefire winner with a premise that lives up to its fabulous title. Not only is its depiction of 12-year-old girl woes spot-on, but the ghosts that haunt (small) medium Lilah are hilariously delightful. I predict many, many readers will simply adore this book (this one already does).
Kate
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book (even though my 10-year-old daughter swiped it from me when I was halfway through, so she could read it a second time...it's that kind of book.) The premise is great - middle-school-kid Lilah is struck by lightning and can suddenly hear ghosts, including her dead grandmother and a famous, long-departed fashionista who team up to tkae Lilah bra-shopping. (Best. Scene, Ever.) This book is exactly what it promises to be - warm, wonderful, hilarious, and so much fun. Hig ...more
Cheryl
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
(Not sure why there's a comparison to Judy Blume - I didn't notice anything about menstruation or bullying or anything... and the paranormal bit focuses on the loving Bubby, is not the least 'satanic'... except if it's meant that the girl is Jewish....)

Light, quick, and often very funny. And clever. I love that, for once, the girl is not an outsider, does not have issues, has plenty of friends and a good relationship with her parents. Even the fact that her parents are divorced seems to be contr
Rebecca McNutt
I love books featuring ghosts in a more positive, happy light and Small Medium at Large is no exception. Each of the spirits in this story, reminiscent of TV shows like Are You Afraid of the Dark? and Eerie Indiana, are flawed yet lovable in their own way.
Philippa Dowding
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Small Medium at Large, apart from having a clever title and a wonderful premise, is also hilarious and probably the least-scary ghost story ever written for middle graders. Lilah Bloom gets hit by lightning, then she starts to hear people talking to her. Which is fine, except they aren't actually living people. After her brush with death, Lilah can hear ghosts! She starts to have conversations, loud and clear conversations, with her grandmother, her teacher's ex-band mate, a fashion maven, a dea ...more
Jenny Franklin
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought that Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy was a very fun book about a 12 year old girl who starts to hear dead people. The book was so well written, when you start be prepared to sit there and read all of it. There were some laugh out loud moments. I think any young girl would love the book and even adults as well, I know I did.The characters we all very well described and it was easy to get pulled into the story.
Rachel
May 31, 2012 added it
Such a fun book! I devoured it in a single afternoon, and now I just wish I knew more "middle grade" kids to recommend it to! I can totally see a series out of this... I'd love to hear about Lilah's other escapades with her "voices." Fingers crossed that Levy decides to keep us updated on Lilah....
Makenna Brantley
The book Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy caught my eye and seemed very interesting because I like some things that are paranormal. I started reading this book and I wasn’t expecting it to be as good as it is. I would read it in the car, at school, and at home. I just couldn’t seem to stop. Interesting books are hard for me to find, so when I found this one, I knew that it was going to be good when I was only a few pages in.

Small Medium at Large is about a girl named Lilah who gets struck by
Kevin Craig
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This review is from my book review blog: http://trythisbookonforsize.blogspot.ca

It has been a while since I read a middle grade novel…at least a few months. My first thoughts on Small Medium at Large were; kid-friendly, a delight to read, fun and funny, well written in a great age-appropriate voice and, well…FUN (It bears repeating).

Lilah Bloom is 12. She comes from a broken family (that term really needs to be refreshed—a lot of families these days are not so much broken, as they are realigned)
Sarah (YA Love)
Review originally posted at Y.A. Love

In all honesty, I’m really picky about middle grade novels. I don’t know if it’s just that I’m a high school English teacher and therefore more interested in young adult novels, or what, but I don’t always like middle grade novels. I have a really difficult time connecting with them and enjoying them, so when I find one that I like I want to spread the word all over the place. I didn’t just like Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy, I loved it.

Small Medium at
Prishni
Apr 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Small Medium at Large by Joanne Levy was one of the 10 Red Maple fiction picks for 2014. This is a really girly book so in my opinion it shouldn’t have been picked as a Red maple. To enjoy this book you would really have to have an interest for hearing voices or for problems that Lilah Bloom the protagonist is going through.
After the survival of being struck by lightning, 12 year old Lilah Bloom has a new talent; she can hear dead people and surely are they real annoying. She can hear her over
Paige Bradish
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
So I just finished Small Medium At Large and after reading the book I finally understand the title! I never really understood them before but now I do! Small Medium At Large is a story about a girl named Lilah who while attending her mothers wedding she gets hit by lighting. When she wakes up in the hospital she starts hearing voices and she's confused because only her parents are in the room but neither of them are speaking. The voice finally reveals itself to us as Lilah's dead grandmother Bub ...more
Elizabethd.
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this fun and interesting book very much. What urged me to read it was the title, Small Medium at Large, because I have never heard of such an original name for a book. When I did start reading it, I realized that it was a good book for girls who are about the main character's age, because it helped those young developing girls not to feel ashamed or nervous about having to do something different than usual with their body.
Small Medium at Large was about a 12 year old girl named Lilah
Kayla
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Small Medium at Large was a funny middle grade novel. After finishing the book, I understand what the title means. I love the humor in the title. Once starting the book, the reader finds the same humor throughout the pages. The book made me laugh quite a bit. I don't think a chapter went by without me at least chuckling. The plot was well written. There weren't any plot holes. The story flowed well from beginning to end. It was entertaining. I stayed up late to finish the book because I wanted t ...more
S.O.
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: red-maple
A simple book about a young girl with young girl issues like dating and fashion who has a big secret. predictable! there really isn't annything new or unexspected in this book, and is sometimes even pianfully boring at times. there was nothing that interested me to keep reading. maybe this book just isn't ot my taste, becuase admititly i don't really like this genre to begin with, but it's still way to predictable. also the main characters seem to have 1 dimentional personalities that give no de ...more
Laima
When I was growing up, I read all the Judy Blume books for young adults. Loved all of them. In my opinion, Joanne Levy is the new, modern version of Judy Blume!!
"Small Medium at Large" reminds me of another book I loved, but with a supernatural twist.

"Are you there Bubby? It's me Lilah"....

Seriously, please write more novels!!

Joy Kirr
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
12-year-old Lilah gets struck by lightning at her mom's wedding, and suddenly she can hear dead people's voices in her head! This is a cute, tender, quick read for girls - if you like dances, the thought of hearing dead people (and all the issues that could pose!), and cutesy romances, you'll enjoy this book!
Canadian
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it
A light piece of tween chick-lit. It's well done for the sort of book it is, and no doubt many 9-12ish girls will relate to it. However, it's ultimately forgettable and insubstantial. It made the Ontario Library Association's grade 7 and 8 reading list. It should have been on a list for grade 5 and 6 girls instead.
Kiley
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it had points where it was serious but there were also parts that were funny and it's a book that you can enjoy. I liked how she helped the girl out with the fashion show and I think that showed a good side to her personality. I like her friend because she is what every good friend should be. I think this is a really girly book and might turn guys away.
Emily King
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
i thought that this book was reallly good. At the beginning it was kinda boaring but as i kept reading it got pretty good. In this book a girl is hit by lightning. After this she is able to talk to people that have passed including her grandma. when ever anything gets tough or she doesnt know what to do her grrandma is there to help her.
Krista
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Good story. Fast read, done in 4 hours. Book is more for teenagers but I really enjoyed it. I wish I was able to talk to the dead like the main character. I would like to hear more about what happens to the main character as she grows up. Is there another book on the way?
Lauren
Apr 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
I thought Small Medium at Large was a very cheesy book that was over dramatic and unrealistic. I believe the target audience should be people younger than those who read the red maple category. It was an easy read but not one that I enjoyed.
Evie
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list
Pure awesomeness! Everyone should read it- you'll laugh to tears!!!
Michelle
Jun 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is sweet and fun and super cute. The perfect book for upper elementary-aged girls who want a book with some romance. And ghosts!
Lynda
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing MG book, SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE--unique, funny, kid-friendly book with a few twists! Loved the main charater of Lilah--a "real" kid with an amazing gift!
Kaiya L.
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was such an inspiring book. I wonder if there will be a sequel. After I realized it was the end, I was so disappointed to figure out that there was cliffhanger, I didn’t even realize it. I just love the title Small Lilah being a Medium living Large! It just suits the title🤗
Scarlett
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Small Medium at Large--Spoilers 3 7 Dec 04, 2015 07:31PM
Small Medium at Large--Spoilers 1 6 Nov 08, 2012 12:54PM

• Because of Mr. Terupt (Mr. Terupt, #1)
  • Saving Mr. Terupt (Mr. Terupt, #3)
  • Mr. Terupt Falls Again (Mr. Terupt, #2)
  • Diana: Princess of the Amazons
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • Lodestar (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #5)
  • The Queen Bee and Me
  • Caterpillar Summer
  • Beyond the Kingdoms (The Land of Stories, #4)
  • The Cabinet of Wonders (The Kronos Chronicles, #1)
  • Becoming Brianna
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)
  • Nightfall (Keeper of the Lost Cities #6)
  • Amal Unbound
  • The Boy Across The Street
  • An Author's Odyssey (The Land of Stories, #5)
  • Interstellar
Joanne Levy’s love of books began at a very early age. Being the youngest and the only female among four children, and the daughter to voracious readers, she was often left to her own devices and could frequently be found sitting in a quiet corner with her nose in a book.

A survivor of the corporate world, Joanne now works from home, supporting other authors and creating the friends she wishes she

News & Interviews