Jump to ratings and reviews

Rose Blossom

This love comes with a high price...immortality or death.

High school senior Rhodanthe Watson dreams of a life like any other girl her age; boyfriend, pick the right college and find the perfect shade of lip gloss. But her reality is an overbearing and overprotective mom, and wondering how much longer she has to live.

Meeting and falling in love with Julian, a handsome and mysterious new boy at school, isn't on the list, neither is finding out that he’s a vampire.

Being the girlfriend of a vampire has its dark side; especially when a jealous classmate decides to interfere and threatens to destroy the dreams within Rhodanthe’s grasp.

Can she leave her family behind?

What is she willing to risk for true love?

What if she refuses to die?

184 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2011

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Renee Lake

14 books119 followers
Renee Lake is a 39-year-old Puerto Rican from Utah.
Renee has four children.
She is married to a fellow book lover and their house has more bookshelves than anything else.

Renee loves bats halloween, dinosaurs and is passionate about women's reproductive rights and equality.

As a small child, she wanted to be a vampire more than a princess and filled notebooks and old floppy disks with stories. She prefers to lend a dark tinge to her writing.

Her stupid super-hero power is the ability to hear a song once and be able to sing it back.

When she's not taming crazy kids or working full time she is writing. You can also find her exploring the wilds of Thedas or shopping at the Citadel.

She has several novels for sale through Smashwords and amazon.com. Some under her maiden name: Renee Travis

Her newest novel The Infested will be released Oct 2023 from Hansen House

You can see more of her flash fiction soon at Spider Road Press and Nightingale and Sparrow.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Aditi.
920 reviews1,321 followers
October 21, 2014
While reading Rose Blossom by Renee Travis, please shut all your thoughts and opinions about Twilight series aside, because the author, has profoundly mentioned that she has penned down this story, even before Stephanie Meyer's Twilight has got published. So out of respect, Please Do Not Compare This Book to Twilight Series. It was a mere coincidence that both the stories are quite similar. Let's talk about Rose blossom; it's very beautiful, romantic and quite scary too!

A 17year old girl, Rhodanthe Watson, was diagnosed with a rare heart disease and a quite deadly one too at a very tender age. The doctors have already chalked out her life-plans for her and her over-protective mother makes sure, that Rhodanthe follows through all very strict rules and regulations, thereby making Rhodanthe's life boring and miserable. But in her senior year, she develops a crush for a very mysterious guy named, Julian. And instantaneously, all of a sudden, her dream comes true, when Julian asks her out, followed by the Homecoming Dance. Slowly, Rho got a feeling that Julian is mysterious as well as different and soon her doubt becomes a reality. Along with her boyfriend, she decides to change herself. But her plan gets messy and scary, when she got abducted by a jealous lover! Read it to find out more.

Reading this story, made me sure that the author is quite proficient. The romantic angle that the author has portrayed is quite sweet and very striking. All the characters are quite noteworthy. Rhodanthe, a.k.a, Rose is portrayed as a physically weak teenage girl, but she is one hell of a brave girl, not giving a second thought while stepping into a house full of vampires. And Julian turns out to be a perfect boyfriend cum monster, who is equally caring as well as deadly.

The best part about the book is that the behavior of the vampires is entirely different from what we read in Twilight or what we see in The Vampire Diaries. And I really loved how the author has distinctly and uniquely explained those aspects. Moreover the dialogues are quite engrossing and you can't stop until you get to know what happens with Rhodanthe.

Only disappointment would be that the plot is way too predictable, way too cheesy at times, way too flat, and has a very uninteresting climax.

P.S. The book cover picture is quite remarkable and eye-catching, which intrigues you to open the first page of the book.

Thanks to the author for giving me an opportunity to read and review her book.
Profile Image for Renee.
Author 14 books119 followers
November 20, 2022
I started wiritng this before Twilight got published (honestly) but it wasn't finished until after New Moon came out and by the time I was ready to send it to LA's there were too many vamp books out. So it does have a Twilight feel, though, hopefully, without some of the worse Twilight qualities (sparkly vampies, stalking boyfriends). Self Published, so editing wise, be kind. Thanks for reading.

As always is most vampire books you will find;

1)no eating or drinking
2)cool to the touch skin, unless recently fed.
3)Nests or kisses (groups of vamps who live together.)
4)Psychic powers
5)Enhanced senses.

These are NOT just Twilight things.
Profile Image for Alstroe.
3 reviews
April 10, 2013
Unfortunately, this author is very clearly self-published. The author could use the structure and aid of a good editor and publisher.

Rose Blossom is like, in my opinion, a combination of Taming of the Shrew, Twilight and A Walk to Remember. In retrospect, it has some nice plot-points and some good characters, for a teen novel. Unfortunately, the writing is a bit pedestrian and often awkward and there is almost no proper punctuation anywhere in the novel. Some of these errors are entirely fixable, while others are not.

I did enjoy the ending of the book; the way Rodanthe does end up with what she truly wants, and how much Julian, the main vampire character, does seem to love her. I liked the way Julian does seem to genuinely care for, and want the best for Rodanthe. In this way, this book is much less like Twilight, in which Edward seems to simply want to control Bella.

The comparison to Taming of the Shrew (or, in hindsight 10 Things I Hate About You) is in the strict rules enforced on Rodanthe throughout the book by her overbearing mother. In fact, her mother was the only character I truly disliked, but also the only one that felt truly organic in the entire book. The comparison I've made to A Walk to Remember is really just in Rodanthe's fatal illness and the fact that the boy (Julian) loves her despite it and attempts to be a part of her life no matter what. It is also somewhat echoed in Rodanthe's relationship with her father; though only in the kindness and caring her father shows her. The true test of comparison lies in how much this book is like Twilight. Although I understand it was written before Twilight, it is very similar - even eerily so. I am, however, very happy Travis' vampires do not shimmer and shine.

Another aspect that really needs work is in the character development of Athol, Rodanthe's supposed friend who eventually terrifies her. He has almost no character development and the frightening way he treats Rodanthe in the book doesn't make a lot of sense and isn't developed well enough for the late hasty explanations to be enough for any sense of understanding.

Considering that it is a fairly short book, I would recommend that it be rewritten to add depth, punctuation (run-on sentences are not good writing), more complex character development, and an additional plot line or two. It is entirely too focused on the Rodanthe and Julian storyline and solves none of the other plot-points, which should be addressed. There are glaring errors and missteps throughout the book that could truly benefit from an editor.

Two stars for the characters of Rodanthe's parents and the somewhat creative descriptions of the vampires. This rating has also been established because it is clear the author is really trying to give you a view of a different world. It is also clear that this book could be improved, and room for improvement should always earn points. You can tell this author has a passion for writing, and for these characters, but this book needs work.
Profile Image for Lisa.
Author 1 book6 followers
May 19, 2013
A vampire novel with a twist- I liked the love story of Rose and Julian and felt the author captured a teenage girl's voice well. Julian's voice was a little more awkward sounding but he was still a good character. There were a few editing mistakes but I didn't find them distracting. I've read books published by major publishing houses that has more mistakes in them. Yes it reminded me some of Twilight, but that's not a bad thing. It was a quick, light read and overall I enjoyed it.
Profile Image for Kathy Stewart.
4 reviews2 followers
October 7, 2020
Love

Love this story of vampires and humans. Makes love seem stronger. Look forward to more from this author. Great read
Profile Image for Katie.
Author 1 book11 followers
March 9, 2018
(((While I'm aware that other readers have compared this to Twilight (blech!) and even the author mentioned that it was written prior-Twilight....other then mentioning Meyer's book here, I'm not going to mention that particular book in my review... I try not to compare books to other authors' writings unless it is a SERIOUS bout of plagiarism)))

Rhodanthe (which actually means "rose blossom", which is pretty cool) is a late-aged teen with a heart condition that falls in love with a teenage-looking vampire Julian. Basically anything that gets her excited (namely, Julian, lol) causes her problems with breathing and her heart. Her mom is overprotective and her best friend reacts badly when she gets involved with Julian. It's not that Angel is worried about her condition; it's more that she thinks Rhodanthe is ignoring and avoiding her.

I liked the interplay of relationships between everyone. They all were very believable. I could easily see the realness of the overprotective mom and the giving-over father (not that he was a push-over when it came to his little girl's health but he definitely helped make Rhodanthe's life not complete hell). Julian had that traditional vampiric protectiveness towards Rhodanthe and his "family". Angel reminded me of a friend I had in high school.

There were definite unique aspects that I enjoyed. For one, each vampire's breath smelled like a different flower and when you were "turned", your breath took that same scent. I liked that Rhodanthe comments on when Julian uses current slang it sounded odd. Or when Rhodanthe was questioning Avalon (Julian's "sister") about how to become a vampire, it was done in a roundabout hypothetical fashion. And the reason that Julian and his family could go out into sunlight (except for one) was because they refrained from drinking human blood.

I think one of the best parts was that her childhood friend turned out to be a vampire hunter from a family of vampire hunters. (And the ending was his entire fault.) Also that Julian's breath (and to a lesser extent, the rest of his family's) helped calmed Rhodanthe's erratic heart.

The writing style was good though at some parts you could tell it was self-published. The rough parts in that instance and the fact that it was a vampire teen novel (not my favorite genre, but it was recommended) was the reasoning for four stars instead of five.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
21 reviews
June 10, 2013
Okay I know it's taken me a while to write this but here it goes...

Review: When I first recieved this book, I didn't know what to expect, it seemed pretty good in the summary and the cover had a good call out. I honestly did love the book, and the general plot of how Julian's love for Rhodanthe kept growing with each passing day and how he tried to always be there for her due to her illness. I liked how there was that present feeling of trying to figure out why she kept talking about her heart, and that automatic care that Julian presented towards Rhodanthe. There was still an internal and external conflict which always makes a good impression on the book. It flowed for the most part, as in the story did have continuity, which is always good and maintains the readers attention. I liked the background story referrences, such as Rhodanthes illness, anf also Julian's family.

What I didn't like: If I had to say what I didn't like was probably how the story just jumped into the situation with Julian, it did give a few referrences to the impression he gave off, but I would have liked alittle further explaination in referrencce to that. Such as a previous meeting between the two or a situation unto which they would have had to 'deal" with eachother.

Bottom Line Rose Bloosom has a very intreging love fantasy story. With a story I won't forget. Partly due to the fact that I have reread it multiple times.

Rating Breakdown:

Overall: 8/10
Creativity: 7/10
Characters: 10/10
Engrossing: 6/10
Writing: 8/10
Appeal to teens: 7/10
Appropriate length to tell the story: 5/10

Content

Language:Good
Sexuality: light; minus short make-out scene
Violence: mild; Fight
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.