Start by marking “Teatime in Mogadishu: My Journey as a Peace Ambassador in the World of Islam” as Want to Read:
Teatime in Mogadishu: My Journey as a Peace Ambassador in the World of Islam

Teatime in Mogadishu: My Journey as a Peace Ambassador in the World of Islam

In 1991, Ahmed Ali Haile returned to the chaos of his native Somalia with a clear mission: to bring warring clans together to find new paths of peace—often over a cup of tea. A grenade thrown by a detractor cost Haile his leg and almost his life, but his stature as a peacemaker remained.

Whether in Somali’s capital, Mogadishu, or among Somalis in Kenya, Europe, and the Unit
Published July 1st 2011 by Herald Press (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Teatime in Mogadishu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teatime in Mogadishu

Start your review of Teatime in Mogadishu: My Journey as a Peace Ambassador in the World of Islam
Andrea
I hate to rate someone's story with two stars because I always appreciate someone taking the time to share their life and work with others. If I follow the Goodreads guide, though, the two-star "it was ok" reaction was closest to my experience with the book.

This book was mentioned by someone who visited our church who is working with Somalis in our state. I believe the person knew a family member of the author. I was interested to read the story of how a Muslim converted to Christianity and con
Grant Fawcett
Oct 02, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s important to remember that this is primarily a narrative. It’s the life story of a dear Christian brother in his journey in Christ. Throughout his story, he elaborates philosophically frequently and theologically occasionally. It can be challenging to determine where his methodological values end and theology begins, but by the end it is clear that he holds to the centrality of Christ to the gospel.

Anthropologically this is an exceptionally helpful introduction to Somalian Muslim culture an
Stephanie C
I live in the Twin Cities where we have a large Somali population and I'm happy to know a bit more about Somali culture. I'm inspired to keep learning!

I enjoyed the stories Ahmed Ali Haile shared and also his perspective on how Islam prepared him to receive Christ. It was not a perspective I had heard before.

I also found it interesting to read about how many stages their ministry went through. It wasn't that they moved to Somalia and worked at one thing for many years. Rather, they did this fo
Dean Mundy
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short biography on the author's life and work. Having been born in a Muslim home in Somalia, Ahmed finds Christ and begins a mission of reconciliation among peoples in east Africa. One may not agree with everything found here, but it's a fascinating story of the power of Christ for good. I received this book free at a Perspectives on the World Christian Movement class. ...more
Jeremy
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent insights into how Islam prepared him to receive the Gospel. Respectful of Islam, firm on the Gospel, with an emphasis on peacemaking. Also good insights on how missionaries have positive and negative effects on their contexts.
Lynne
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Great memoir. inspiring and thought provoking
Rachel
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read.
Stephanie
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Memoir of a Somali Muslim who found Jesus and became a peacemaker, often at great cost.
Joel Newby
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Inspirational story of redemption and restoration.
Lydia Nkutha
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting memoir of a Muslim who converted to Christianity, & his journey in helping others to experience Christ-centered peace.
J. Alfred
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Short, very cool autobiography of a Somali Mennonite convert from Islam. He talks about some of the ways to engage Muslims in spiritual conversation and practice peacemaking.
Raquel Buzogany

• Haile Selassie's War: The Ethiopian-Italian Campaign, 1935-1941
  • Lost Lions of Judah: Haile Selassie's Mongrel Foreign Legion 1935-41
  • Wild at Heart Revised and Updated: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul
  • Strengths Finder 2.0
  • From Seed to Fruit: Global Trends, Fruitful Practices, and Emerging Issues Among Muslims
  • Zondervan NIV Study Bible