Start by marking “The Anti-Christ” as Want to Read:
The Anti-Christ

Read Book* *Different edition

The Anti-Christ

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  15,210 Ratings  ·  625 Reviews
The Christian concept of a god-the god as the patron of the sick, the god as a spinner of cobwebs, the god as a spirit-is one of the most corrupt concepts that has ever been set up in the world... In him nothingness is deified, and the will to nothingness is made holySee Sharp Press; Tuscon, AZ -from The Anti-Christ He's one of the most debated thinkers of the 19th century ...more
Published December 27th 2005 by Cosimo Classics (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Anti-Christ, please sign up.

Recent Questions

Ahmad Sharabiani
Der Antichrist = The Antichrist, Friedrich Nietzsche
The Antichrist (German: Der Antichrist) is a book by the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, originally published in 1895. Although it was written in 1888, its controversial content made Franz Overbeck and Heinrich Köselitz delay its publication, along with Ecce Homo. The German title can be translated into English as either The Anti-Christ or The Anti-Christian, depending on how the German word Christ is translated.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دوم ماه می
Fabian
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Antichrist" begins with the writer's egotistical pledge to become immortal, and then he pretty much backs his shit up. Masterfully. He identifies his readership & reading Nietzsche is like joining a secret club that's more than a century old. Indeed, one feels like a pariah when trying to discern the 2000+ year old lie.

So, after this, perhaps THE quintessential Anti-Christian argument, the question is-- why do people still believe? I believe that they have all, as its the most obvious c
Paquita Maria Sanchez
I will write a review of The Antichrist...it will involve growing up around my eloquent and Nietzsche-obsessed brother and the resulting aversion I have to every bit of his closet Libertarian, brazenly pro-Rand philosophy, and will break down the anti-humanitarian elements of Nietzche's diatribe which bother me, hinting at the seductive quality of his dominant, persuasive writing style and how I constantly struggle against disagreeing with him since he is, to all appearances, dead serious in bre ...more
Randy Hulshizer
Aug 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when i was in high school back the the late 80's. I was not certain about my philosophical or theological viewpoints at the time, and I expected to be met with a well thought out argument against Christianity. This is not what I found. Instead, I found the rantings of an angry man who was clearly reacting against Christians and the Church (proper) and wrongly leveling his disgust against Christianity itself. His arguments were weak and ill-formed at best. Needless to say, ...more
Tifnie
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Um, WOW!

The anti-christ is really anti-Christianity. Nietzsche talks about how Christianity is the religion of the weak, the low, the botched and the "outcast among men".

He asks the reader, "why labour together, trust one another, or concern one's self about the common welfare, when every man, because he has an "immortal soul" is as good as every other man...that insignificant bigots and the three-fouths insane may assume that the laws of nature are constantly suspended in their behalf."

He furt
Julie Rylie
I love Nietzsche jedes mal, what can I say. I love his witty, sarcastic and controvertional thoughts.

I love how he starts the book by clamming the reader has to have achieved a certain state of consciousness to be able to read him and that they need seven solitudes experience to understand him.

what is happiness? The sensation that power is growing and one resistance has been tamed (lovely)

Being Nietzsche the anti Christ himself, he puts Christianity into such a down level that it’s impossibl
Ahmed Oraby
كان نبتشه يحمل في داخله مسيحًا أعظم، مسيحًا أفضل، مسيحًا أعرق من يسوع.
لو كان المسيح قد صلب، فنيتشه، هو الآخر قد صلب، ولكن على العكس من يسوع، الذي أحيط بالتقديس والتعظيم، لم يحظ نيتشه بشيء، على الرغم من كونه تحمّل - حيًّا -، ولكل يوم، آلام الصلب، ولكل يوم من حياته دفن حقده وغيظه، حتى مرضه ووفاته.
كان نيتشه، على الرغم من كل ما قال، يحمل شيئًا ما - غير الحقد والكره والضغينة - للمسيح يسوع المصلوب. شيئًا آخر غير الاحتقار، شيئًا لم يستطع هو حتى أن يفهمه، بله، قراؤه.
في نهاية حياته، أرسل نيتشه رسائل عدة
Katsumicchi
May 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Unlike many other people who have reviewed this book, I do not believe that Nietzsche was an idiot. It is extremely obvious in The Antichrist, that Nietzsche was strongly right-wing, and therefore had a strongly right-wing outlook on life. This is NOT a book for someone who is NOT right-wing themself, and also CLOSED-MINDED TOWARD OTHER WAYS OF THINKING.
Its true, Nietzsche's beliefs are not democratic. He did not believe that all men were created equal. He believed that strength was good, that
فاروق الفرشيشي
أعتقد أن العنوان الثاني أكثر بلاغة : هذا الكتاب عبارة عن لعنة فلسفية للمسيحية. كل هذا الحقد يثير الدهشة بالفعل. و لا يمكن أن أتفهمه الا لو تعرّفت على النمط الاجتماعي السائد في المانيا القرن التاسع عشر. لكن عموما ففلسفة الاحتقار النيتشوية، لم تكن المسيحية ضحيتها الوحيدة و ان كانت أشدها.

يدهشني نيتشه في هذا الكتاب بأنه كملحد لا أخلاقيّ، لا يعادي الأديان تماما، و رغم سلسلة اللعنات التي يطلقها على المسيحية في هذا الكتاب، فهو يقرّ أيضا بأهميّة الإله الذي قدمته بعض الثقافات الأخرى. المهمّ بالنسبة لنيتش
Hadrian
An intense and damning work - one not to be caught reading in public where I live.

A fearsome, angry, snarl against Christianity, as it was at the time. Rails and rambles against the decadence and nihilism of Christianity, of weakness, of parasitism, of the promise of eternal life, the corruption of the Church and priesthood, and of the evils justified by religion. It is a means for which the weak can resent and dominate or refuse the strong, or the ways of the world, as he says.

As for Jesus? A m
Hafeth
كتاب جريء و شديد في انتقاده للمسيحية.
أعتقد أن الكتاب اكتسب الأهمية في وقت صدوره في اوروبا في بداية القرن العشرين,و لا شك أنه كان جريئا في طرحه و إثارته للأسئلة

يبدو الكتاب كخواطر تخلو من التدقيق و التوثيق. فيه إنصاف للإسلام و إنتقاد لمحاكم التفتيش.

إليكم بعض الفقرات التي رأيتها صادمة و مثيرة

Alex
Jul 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a structured, rigorous, and objective argument against Christianity. Instead I found an anti-Semitic, sexist, elitist, emotionally garbled, and unstructured list of insults and rants degrading any religious or spiritual individual to an inherently weak, even sub-human entity. Considered by Mencken to be his magnum opus, the very death of God... personally, the only thing his work devours is its own very weak arguments.
Mohamed Shady
أقرأ ل "نيتشه" وأسمع صراخه في أذني.
Mina Villalobos
As an atheist, I wish I had liked this better but it's too full of crazy name-calling and smug self congratulating and angry bellowing, leaving about only 1/3 of the book to explain his ideas. Which I can't say are super crazy, I mean, when it boils down to it, he says Catholicism is the anti-christ because it never understood Jesus's real message, which was to live naturally and in a sort of live-and-let-live(or die) way, and instead perverted the message and turned it into shenanigans about he ...more
Shradhanjali  Lama
I Give this one a 5 star based not merely on his merits of writing but because of his radical ideas. I will not, however, review the book. I am just flabbergasted at his ideas and how his psyche worked. I loved this book not just because I am an atheist but because some of the points that he makes are actually true. Oh! and the dry sarcasm that surfaces every now and then were as wonderful as his ideas.

"I dont know either the way out or the way in; I am whatever doesn't know the way out or in

Luís C.
The book is very realistic and direct

"The Antichrist" is an insolent charge against Christianity, or more precisely against what became Christian morality at the time of Nietzsche. He accuses particularly priests of having perverted the original message of Christ to be ideal in the negation of life and leave the real world to take refuge in an imaginary and deceitful world.
The references to previous works are many, and I had the impression of being a bad student who has learned his lessons bad
Said Abuzeineh
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
أشهد أن هذا الكتاب من أمتع ما قرأت لنيتشة وأكثره خطرا وبيانا، فهو خلاصة فهمه لدور المسيحية في الحضارة الإنسانية وما الذي جنته في صورتها المحرفة على قيم التوحش والعصبية والنبالة.
وفيه كان مصداق هاجس اعتمل في نفسي من كون نيتشه لا بد أنه قرأ عن الإسلام ولا بد أن ذكائه كان سيلفته إلى التفريق بين المسيحية والإسلام.
وهذا ما حصل فعلا في الشذرتين 59 و 60 ،، مدح للإسلام في مواجهة المسيحية من كونه يشترط "فحول رجال شرطا لوجوده" . ولكون ثقافة الموريسكيين (مسلمو الأندلس) هي ثقافة النبلاء التي تقول نعم للحياة.
Isabel
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Soy católica y me pareció interesante este libro, hay aspectos, o mejor dicho ideas con las que no estoy de acuerdo, como ideas que si apoyo. El autor es un poco extremista en su odio, lo cual nunca es bueno, hay que encontrar un equilibrio. Lo recomiendo.
Tabark Khaled
Jul 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ليس من العدل ان يكون نيتشه بهذا المستوى من الشهرة وهو بهذا المستوى من التعصب
وليس من العدل ان ترضى بما يقوله لكونك لست مسيحيا فقط
Muhammad Arqum
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phew!
Nietzsche shows no mercy! Nietzsche takes no prisoners! He goes all cut throat, guns blazing, shrapnel flying all bad ass against Christianity and the Christian God. Nietzsche is what the modern day junior-level atheists like Dawkins and what not want to be like but obviously can't, for they lack the "madness" Nietzsche had! Oh when that sinks in it gives you shudders.
Religion requires reformers every now and then. The world requires people like Nietzsche to pull their shit together. His a
Omnipotent Dystopian Now
"Christianity remains to this day the greatest misfortune of humanity."

If that pissed you off, then this book IS NOT for you. However, if it has sparked your curiosity-if you have always been a bit suspicious about the fact that all religion was created by man and not God-this book IS for you. Nietzsche suggests that religion (specifically Christianity) promotes ignorance and arrogance, that "faith vetoes science" while the intellectual mind is frowned upon, and that the creators of our religiou
ahmed Eid
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

نيتشه
تبًا لك

مسيح نيتشه أكثر إنسانية و أكثر حكمة و أكثر وعيًا ممن رسمه الكهنة في أذهاننا

أعتقد أني سأكتب فكرة مطولة عما يدور في ذهني و أحرقها

David
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Nietzsche scrutinizes the Christian religion. He uses his familiar weapons - his logic, sharp wit, and bold satire - to present a case to the reader for growing out of this old belief system. There is no doubt Nietzsche tries to provoke those sympathetic to Christianity and those readers might perhaps find his rhetoric bullying at times. And, I would be quite surprised if a fundamentalist Christian made it past the first few pages. However, this work is not a series of mean potshot ...more
Mohamed elbeshbeeshy
الإيمان لا يحرك الجبال وإنما يقيم جبالا حيث لا توجد جبال .. هكذا يردد فريدريك في كتاب هو أشبه بغضب فلسفي عارم يحط على المسيحية بادئا بتعريفه للخير والشر والسعادة وربطهم بالقوة وتجاوز الضعف ليقرر قاعدة تنص على :
( الضعفاء والفاشلون يجب أن يهلكوا )
ليؤكد على أن الشفقة تجور على قانون التطور الذي هو قانون الإنتخاب لتحافظ على ما صار مهيأ لغروبه
ومن هنا يكون مدخل نقد المسيحية بيت احتقار الجسد والركن المظلم ..
ويدلل بان الكنيسة تقاوم النظافة بحادثة اغلاقها للحمامات بقرطبة كاول عمل بعد غزوها قرطبة .. 270 حم
Débora Viegas
Aug 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english, ebooks
Esta leitura pode ter parecido estranha para quem conhece as minhas convicções religiosas; quem me conhece bem não deve ter sentido estranheza, pois conhece a minha natureza curiosa.

Esta foi a minha primeira experiência com Nietzsche e devo dizer que foi... bem, acho que a palavra que procuro é "interessante", mas não um "interessante" do estilo "digo isto porque não tenho mais nada simpático para dizer". Foi interessante porque deu-me a oportunidade de espreitar a uma janela tão diferente da mi
9xthikteancode
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to 9xthikteancode by: Bảy
Lúc đọc không hiểu, đọc xong cũng ếch hiểu ._. (Xin cảm ơn anh Milan Kundera đã dắt mình tới gặp Ni Ét và cho mình nâng cao tầm ếch hỉu của mình...)

Nhưng cũng không quan trọng lắm đâu hẻ?

Chỉ còn lại nỗi xúc động khi nghĩ rằng năm đó, có lẽ cậu Bảy cho mình mượn sách vì muốn mình hiểu thêm về cậu. Nhưng đã tình cảm thầm lặng ra sao, khi chẳng nói lời nào, chỉ nhét sách vào một chồng lộn xộn :D. Thiệt đáng bùn là sau 3 năm con cũng lừi biếng ko hề đọc sách =))) đã trả lại cậu cả chồng...
Để rồi s
عبدالرحمن
ليس من العيب ألا تستوعب كل ما ورد في الكتاب
فالمؤلف يعتمد علي علمك المسبق ببعض من يستشهد بهم
هو يكفر بالدين المسيحي ويعتبر المؤمنين به أغبياء لا يستخدمون عقولهم ولا يتفكرون
ويرفض فكرة أن يكون المسيح فادياً للبشرية ومخلصاً لها من خطيئة آدم
ويرد الأمر كله إلي كتاب الأناجيل أنهم من أسس هذه القصص وابتكروها
وعلي سبيل المثال فهو يري أن القصة بعد موت المسييح تكون قد انتهت وبالتالي ابتكر أحدهم قصة القيام بعد الممات ليكمل الأسطورة

أما أنا -كمسلم- فأري أولاً أن المسيح لم يمت بل رفع إلي السماء معززاً مكرماً وأن
Joseph
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foreign, philosophy
A well thought out, harsh criticism of Christianity.

"Man himself had been his(God's)greatest blunder; he had created a rival to himself; science makes men godlike -- it is all up with priests and gods when man becomes scientific!"
Madalin Boboc
I liked the passion that his writing style managed to convey,I haven't read other philosophy book whit such intensity as this,it was a rush of blood from the guts to the head.
There where some really good arguments about how Christianity weakness the active and creative power in people and how the same goes for Schopenhauer's pessimism and Buddhism.Still,he regarded Buddhism above church Christianity,because Buddha talked against something real:suffering, and not an invented concept like sin,an
mile stone in the thinking of western 1 47 Sep 13, 2008 06:05AM
  • Essays and Aphorisms
  • Nietzsche: Philosopher, Psychologist, Antichrist
  • Religion within the Limits of Reason Alone
  • Culture and Value
  • Nietzsche and Philosophy (European Perspectives)
  • Monadology
  • The Sickness Unto Death: A Christian Psychological Exposition for Upbuilding and Awakening
  • Cartesian Meditations: An Introduction to Phenomenology
  • Theory of Religion
  • Fragments
  • The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche
1938
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche (1844–1900) is a German philosopher of the late 19th century who challenged the foundations of Christianity and traditional morality. He was interested in the enhancement of individual and cultural health, and believed in life, creativity, power, and the realities of the world we live in, rather than those situated in a world beyond. Central to his philosophy is the ide ...more
More about Friedrich Nietzsche...
“One must not let oneself be misled: they say 'Judge not!' but they send to Hell everything that stands in their way.” 184 likes
“The most spiritual men, as the strongest, find their happiness where others would find their destruction: in the labyrinth, in hardness against themselves and others, in experiments. Their joy is self-conquest: asceticism becomes in them nature, need, and instinct. Difficult tasks are a privilege to them; to play with burdens that crush others, a recreation. Knowledge–a form of asceticism. They are the most venerable kind of man: that does not preclude their being the most cheerful and the kindliest.” 153 likes