Start by marking “The Hidden Treasure of Glaston” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Treasure of Glaston

The Hidden Treasure of Glaston

Amidst great mystery, Hugh is left in the care of Glastonbury Abbey by his father who must flee to England too swiftly to be burdened by a crippled son.

Dicckon struck flint and lit a candle, then led the way into the dark passage. "What is this place?" asked Hugh. A sudden turn and they were in a low stone-lined room, along two sides of which were heavy black oak chests. D
Published May 1st 2000 by Ignatius Press (first published August 30th 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Treasure of Glaston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Treasure of Glaston

Mary
I gave this two stars the other day, and I decided to come back and say why. Because I read this years ago, and I have no idea if I would actually rate it two stars if I had read it later on. I read it when I was in middle school, and even though I liked it somewhat, I didn't fully understand it or enjoy it that much. The two stars are for how much I liked it then. I have no idea if I might like it better at an older age. And I'm sure actually has merit, no matter what I thought, so I'm really g ...more
Thomas Bell
So what do you do if you murder the Archbishop of Canterbury, one of the most powerful and influential people in the world? Naturally you flee the country to go protect the Holy Land from the Infidels and abandon your crippled son with a bunch of monks in an Abbey in Wales.

Anyway, this story is about that son and his life for a couple years in the Abbey. Every once in the while it seems that there is a villain, but really this book doesn't have one. Just a life around a bunch of good people, mos
Allison Tebo
DNF. Just couldn't get into this re-read.
Katie
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lit-for-the-kids
This Newbery winner from 1947 is a hidden gem that the kids and I listened to while driving to/from CA (we finished it at home). It was an exciting tale and grew more interesting as it went along; the kids really enjoyed it and then we were able to look online at the ruins of the real Glastonbury Abby. So cool!
Shera
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of many books we have read that were surprisingly good reads. There is definitely a fair amount of sadness and many trials to endure... but unlike many other books, it has a decent mix of adventure/excitement, triumphs and sorrow.
Steve Ward
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: newbery-award
This is an enjoyable tale of mystery and adventure. It uses the legend of the Holy Grail as the quest for many of the characters in this intriguing story. The author added many details about life in an abbey especially the printing of books that provided a more quiet contrast to the more adventuresome portions. I'd recommend this book to any reader over 8 especially those who enjoy a good tale of intrigue.
Rebecca
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set in 1171, this adventure story gives insight into monastery life at that time, along with attitudes about knights, religion, and the king. There are secret passages and Arthurian legend to help make it appealing as well as relics, miracles, and visions. Aimed at middle to high school age.
Rose
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Very interesting and well written.
Ben Russell
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is one of the books my mother read to me when I was sick as a child. It's an excellent tale of two boys questing for the Sacred Cup, the Most Excellent Chalice, the Holy Grail.
Draper
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining, historically faithful in its context, and excellent themes. I enjoyed it far more than I expected.
Emma VR
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars
Adam
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars
Irene
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my children as part of our history lessons. We all really enjoyed the story.
Sofia Alessandrini
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Pretty good for a school book. I found it a bit hard to picture some parts though. Over all decent
MARY GRACE
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. Lots of history. I felt transported to England in the Middles Ages while reading this book.
Linette
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
So much to love. Growth, friendship, self-sacrifice.
ErikaWaz Wasielewski
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful! It's junior fiction, but it really didn't read like it to me. I bought this to read with the kids, because we were looking for an appropriate knight adventure. When I got the book, I saw it wasn't directly knights, and saw that a lot of the speech in the book was in Old English. So I decided to pre-read it first. And got promptly caught up in the adventure of young Hugh and his time with the monks in Glaston, and his own personal quest for the Holy Grail. I am definitely ...more
Monica Fastenau
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Read the full review here: http://newberyandbeyond.com/mini-newb...

I found this book interesting once I got into it, but it was pretty slow paced at the beginning. In the year 1171, Hugh is left at a monastery when his father has to flee England. Hugh and his new friend Dickon discover some forgotten treasures and think they might be on the path to one of the greatest treasures of all time–the Holy Grail.

Good story, but only for those kids who have the patience to work through the slower-paced w
Phair
I've kept this book for well over 40 years having purchased it in one of those school book clubs and recall it fondly but have not re-read it in recent memory. I do know that it had a lot of adventure & that it piqued my life-long interest in the King Arthur legends and in the "discovery" of his grave at Glastonbury in the 12thc. Was prompted to dig the book out after reading Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin which features a mystery surrounding this same discovery. Will have to re-read to see ...more
Moira
Apr 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children and young teens who like historical/adventure
A wonderful little book. While it is most definitely a YA book, I still thumb through it now and then to remember some of the details of the story. When I first read it I loved the imagery and the excitement of the tale. Now, when I look back on it, I appreciate it for being a well-written and engaging book for young kids, especially those interested in history. (Uncommon these days, but I do happen to know quite a few.)
LeAnne
The writing style is dated (1946). The dialog is stilted and the plot sometimes contrived, but hidden passages and treasure alway appeal. The historical facts of Glastonbury have been rearranged to make the the story more compact. (The tomb of Arthur is found before the fire and he is reinterred by Henry II.) It probably would not have held my attention if I were not committed to Glastonbury as a setting.
Rose
Young Hugh de Morville was left in a monastery by his father when the death of Thomas Moore disgraces the family. Hugh, being lame, cannot leave England with his father, but the kindly monks try to make him feel welcomed. Unable to be very active, Hugh tries to make himself useful in the aumbry. As he helps recycle parchment, he starts to find clues to the burial place of Arthur and Guenivere in the ancient pages. But the hunt for Arthur's grave might lead to an even greater treasure.
Rachel
Dec 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Set in Glastonbury, England in 1171. A story of life in a monastery complex in the middle ages--we follow Hugh, the book-loving boy left at the monastery by his father, and Dickon, an oblate, as they sort out mysteries in the natural and spiritual worlds. I'm guessing it's fully period, but there's a lot of Catholic superstition--visions, miracles and such are very important to the people, and do seem to happen. Interesting picture of an interesting time period.
Gabri Alessandrini
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I had to read this book for school but I still enjoyed it. It was a mysterious and religious book. It was so good because of the mystery! It was one of those books that something huge happens at the end of the chapter and it makes up want to read more! You should read this book. I read this book when I was in 8th grade but my younger sis is reading it for-oh wait-shes in 8th grade too, never mind! But this book is good for, I woud say, 8th grade and up.
Henry
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it
The Hidden Treasure of Glaston was a superb book with equal parts Arthurian and holy grail legend. Disgraced by the murder of Thomas á Becket, Hugh’s father sets off for the holy land leaving him in the care of the monks. Hugh and his newfound friend Dickon decide to search for the Holy Grail. I enjoyed this book although it was not one I would normally choose myself.
Brett's Books
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
My daughter and I enjoyed reading this semi-historical Arthurian Grail Legend together. THToG involved several different elements together into a satisfying tale: coming of age, redemption, forgiveness, adventure, Arthurian myth, Catholic and English History. On the balance we found this story of "finding" the Holy Grail to be charming, Faith promoting and suitable for the whole family
Amy
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We are studying the middle ages this year and this is one of the books of required reading in the program.

Never boring and intensely exciting, the book itself is a treasure!

Full of adventure and mystery this book will keep you hooked. It's an easy read because you don't want to put it down.

Wonderful!
Emily
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Proof that truly good books stand the test of time. This was a discard from my library and the copyright on this edition is 1943. Still, it is a Newbery Honor and its story is as good today as it was in 1943. King Arthur and British history are two of my great loves, and this book with its mystery and awe was a perfect Christmas break read.
Carolyn
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This adventurous book set in 1184 is filled with good characters, great imagery and mysterious plot development. Some of the medieval church vocabulary had me reaching for my dictionary. Would make a nice read aloud for older boys.
Debbie
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
A most excellent book. Geared for kids, probably young readers up to young adults, but thoroughly engrossing and enjoyable for adults as well. A fictional story that interweaves the various legends of Glastonbury Abbey, located in southwest England.

• The Old Tobacco Shop: A True Account of What Befell a Little Boy in Search of Adventure
  • The Winged Girl of Knossos
  • Hurry Home, Candy
  • All Sail Set: A Romance of the Flying Cloud
  • Thistle and Thyme: Tales and Legends from Scotland
  • Tree of Freedom
  • The Golden Name Day (Golden Name Day #1)
Eleanore Myers Jewett grew up in New York City and loved it, but spent every summer in Cape Ann, Massachusetts, where she was a member of a "summer gang" much like that in Cobbler's Knob. An old sea captain used to take them all out sailing, and she liked best to sit in front of the mast, reveling in the motion of the boat and the long sweep of the blue sea.

After she grew up she taught for four ye