Start by marking “The Change: Women, Ageing, and the Menopause” as Want to Read:
The Change: Women, Ageing, and the Menopause

The Change: Women, Ageing, and the Menopause

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"A brilliant, gutsy, exhilarating, exasperating fury of a book."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW
In this compulsively readable, fascinating account of menopause, renowned feminist and author Germaine Greer gives us so much more than the medical facts. She has gone back into history, read textbooks, explored novels and poems, and has written a wholly extraordinary account of w
Published 1992

To ask other readers questions about The Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Change

Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Hard to review.  Toward the end, she got so "right on!" that I wanted to cheer.  I wanted to pull out quotes and send them to friends.  To cherish the book forever for reading and re-reading.

But then again, maybe I should just get on with my life.

Anyway, her initial chapters dealing with the history of menopause, or the climeractic as she prefers to call it, are as sad as you would expect.  The tendency of male doctors and philosophers to view the female body as a frail, diseased version of a ma
Linda Robinson
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Nobody knows what to do with a woman who is not perpetually fawning. Calm, grave, quiet women drive anophobes [sic:] to desperation. Women who refuse even to try to empower the penis are old bats and old bags, crones, mothers-in-law, castrating women and so forth. Though female culture cannot afford to give such attitudes even token respectability, we could see our way to exploit male panic if we dared."
Syd
Sep 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: feminist
I was really disappointed in this book. Not only is it rather poorly written, it spends very little time on what is actually happening to our bodies from a medical point of view. The history of the horrific experiments that women have been subjected to was the most interesting part, but then a huge part of the book was dedicated to women feeling worthless because of lost sex appeal. I mean, I get that for a lot of women, especially more traditional heterosexual women this would be a difficult th ...more
Pauline Esson
Feb 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I'm going against the grain here, I know pretty much everyone who has reviewed this raves about it but I didn't recognise any of this as my experience.
I persisted, coming back again and again thinking the tide would surely turn and I'd find some resonance in the next few pages, but never did.
Officially throwing in the towel at page 104.
If anyone tells me there's a radical change at some point after that I'll come back and resume reading, otherwise, I'm moving on.
Amanda
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
An important subject and all credit to her for trying to make women feel better about the menopause. Quite academic with lots of research (although a lot of this is now probably a bit out of date, first published in the 90s I think) - but she seems to think homeopathy is perfectly acceptable! Also she is very serious. Banging on about 'the death of the womb' which didn't make me feel very joyful...I shall search out something else on the same subject but a bit more recent and a bit less fierce.
Brook Clinton
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Although quite well researched it is far too long. Not a bad book for anyone considering having a worthwhile life as an older woman (she often strays into general discussions of feminisim from the older woman's perspective).
Harley
Apr 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Germaine Greer, still liberating. I love this woman. And I just found out she wrote a 2000 book called The Whole Woman, which I'm going to get ASAP. She's a million times smarter and two years older than I am, and she's my almost-forgotten goddess.
Caroline
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So relevant it was scary.
Susan
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
review to follow, still trying to absorb a lot of what she writes about................hmmm...why does it seem to apply to my Mom more than me......
Shelley
Jan 01, 2017
Nurkish
Oct 05, 2013
Jelena Nolan MIljevic
rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2016
  • Femininity
  • The Dangerous Old Woman
  • The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power
  • Live Raw: Raw Food Recipes for Good Health and Timeless Beauty
  • Ani's Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food
  • The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability: For All of Us Who Live with Disabilities, Chronic Pain, and Illness
  • Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book
  • Hotel Bemelmans
  • Unto This Last and Other Writings
  • Fire with Fire: New Female Power and How It Will Change the Twenty-First Century
Germaine Greer is an Australian born writer, journalist and scholar of early modern English literature, widely regarded as one of the most significant feminist voices of the later 20th century.

Greer's ideas have created controversy ever since her ground-breaking The Female Eunuch became an international best-seller in 1970, turning her overnight into a household name and bringing her both adulatio
More about Germaine Greer...

“Sorrow is not itself evidence of maladjustment but of the adjustment process itself.” 0 likes