Start by marking “The Mystery Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #3)

The Mystery Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg #3)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  12,703 Ratings  ·  419 Reviews
The Mystery Knight is a novella published in 2010 as part of the Warriors anthology, edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois. It is the third in the series of "Dunk and Egg" stories. Previous stories are The Hedge Knight and The Sworn Sword.
Published March 16th 2010 (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery Knight, please sign up.
Rakibul Rabby No. Probably won't come out before the next Ice & Fire book

Hirondelle
Jul 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, short-pieces
The third Dunk&Egg story, and perhaps the most plot filled, and the one with a more obvious connection to the ASOIAF (Set a couple generations in the future). I think reading this helps to figure out a small mystery in the ASOIAF, particularly a ADWD revelation (view spoiler).

But my enjoyment of the Dunk&Egg stories is seems to be reverse chronology, I loved the first, liked a lot the second sto
Yvonne Mendez
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another delightful tale about Dunk and Egg. The relationship between knight and squire has grown, with Ser Duncan the Tall trying to give guidance and discipline to his young squire and Egg obeying in a smart-ass kinda way in spite of the empty threats of a "clout in the ear."
This tale gives us more of the Targaryen history, past rebellions and line of succession. Because of these tales I've been constantly looking at the Targaryen family tree, but it makes no difference, other than a few except
Ahmet
Another excellent story by GRRM!
How many eyes has Bloodraven? A thousand eyes, and one.
Terence
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
The Mystery Knight is my favorite novella in the Dunk and Egg prequel series to date. Dunk and Egg meet up with some fellow hedge knights and after learning of a wedding feast Dunk decides to come along in hopes of winning some money in a tournament. It's always great to read about Dunk and Egg and this novella is no excexption. The Mystery Knight is a great read for fans of Dunk and Egg and A Song of Ice and Fire.
Siobhan
The Mystery Knight is the third Dunk and Egg story, another fun novella telling the story of Westeros well before the A Song of Ice and Fire storyline started.

To completely understand The Mystery Knight, you first need to read The Hedge Knight and The Sworn Sword. This third story makes references to past events, carries on from events in the prior story, meaning a complete understanding will come from reading the books in order. As each story is a nice short read, adding together to make a sing
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Αυτό που προσωπικά θα κρατήσω από το βιβλίο αυτό, είναι η ιδέα της συντροφικότητας και το πως αυτή αποτυπώνεται μέσα από την σχέση και τις περιπέτειες των Ντάνκαν κι Εγκ. Άλλωστε, νομίζω πως στο σύνολο του έργου του Martin, οι ανθρώπινες σχέσεις είναι αυτές που πάντα βρίσκονται στο επίκεντρο και που ουσιαστικά καθορίζουν τα πάντα, ακόμα και την ίδια την πλοκή των γεγονότων και κατ' επέκτασιν, της ιστορίας της ίδιας. Ένα απολαυστικό ταξίδι, μια πολύ ωραία και προσεγμένη έκδοση, με τις εικόνες που ...more
Dani
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best of the prequels so far! ♥ Dunk & Egg's tales are over! :')

Review to come.
Sara
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read "The Mystery Knight," the 3rd novella featuring Dunk and Egg, in the Warriors anthology. It was along the same lines as the other two Dunk and Egg stories, and I enjoyed it.

In this tale, the hedge knight, Dunk, and his squire, Egg, head to a tournament (to get a free meal!) and end up accidentally getting involved in a big political maelstrom.

Again, by reading these books, a fan can learn more of the backstory of Westeros and the history of Targaryen rule. Again, these stories are not e
Alayne
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
4.25/5

No sabía que existía una tercera parte de estas aventuras hasta unos meses después de terminar La Espada Leal, y por cuestiones de tiempo y ganas, no lo busqué hasta hace unas semanas.
Al no haber sido publicado en español todavía, tuve que conformarme con un epub traducido por fans que tenía demasiados errores; apenas se entendía qué estaba pasando y me costó no sentirme incómoda en un principio , eso y todo sumado a los verbos mal conjugados y las faltas de ortografía y gramática me sup
Kaisersoze
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Decidedly better than the second novella in the series of Dunk and Egg, The Sworn Sword, this final outing for Martin's beloved characters from almost a hundred years before the events of A Song of Ice and Fire is nevertheless marred by far too many interchangeable characters that only the most rabid of fans will be able to discern, and still takes an awfully long time to set everything up.

Yet the characters of Dunk and Egg carry this book on their more than capable shoulders, so much so that t
Kavita
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The third in the Dunk & Egg series, this book is a true delight from start to end. The book starts off with the two journeying on their way to The Wall, when they meet some knights on the way who tell them about a tourney. Seeing the chance to earn some money, Dunk & Egg make their way there and get embroiled in all sorts of adventures.

This book is my favourite of the three so far. As usual, I loved Egg's stubborn cheekiness and Dunk's straightforwardness. This story was far more complic
Jim
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was a good continuing adventure of Dunk & Egg right on par with the Hedge Knight. It takes place just a year or so after that story, not terribly long after the second, so about a century before the main series. Well worth reading.
Liam
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
My least favourite of the three to be honest, but still gooood! I love westeros so damn much!!!
Cheryl Hall
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this might have been my favourite Dunk & Egg novella, although this might be because I am interested by the Blackfyre rebellion.

Dunk and Egg have quickly made it to my list of fave ASOIAF characters and I await the next short story almost as much as The Winds of Winter.
krishna Fūjin
3.5*

It would be much better if Goodreads adds half star as well in their rating system.
terpkristin
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, fantasy, kindle, novella
This is so far the last story published in the Dunk and Egg world. As a whole, I thought the stories were pretty enjoyable. I liked seeing some of the history of Westeros through Dunk's eyes, seeing events that are referenced in the main A Song of Ice and Fire books. That said, of the three stories, this one was my least favorite (granted, 4 stars is pretty good, considering I trend low on ratings).

The Hedge Knight tells the story of a diversion Dunk and Egg take while en route to Winterfell and
Ish Healy
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Author: George R.R. Martin
Genre: Novella, Fantasy
Rating: A

Set in the same world as George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, “The Hedge Knight” is the first in a series of short stores (and graphic novels) about Ser Duncan the Tall, or Dunk, and his squire Egg. “The Hedge Knight,” and the other stories in the Tales of Dunk and Egg are set about a hundred years before the events of A Song of Ice and Fire.

As mentioned, “The Hedge Knight” is the first in this series and follows Dunk as he
Učitaj se!
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
U trećoj priči - 'Zagonetnom vitezu' - Dunk i Egg na putovanju na sjever sretnu nekoliko lutajućih vitezova koji su se zaputili na svadbu lorda Butterwella, te ih pozovu da pođu s njima. Isprva oklijevajući, Dunk i Egg ipak svrate u zamak lorda Butterwella, nakon što otkriju da se tamo u čast mladenaca planira održati viteško nadmetanje, čija je nagrada za pobjednika vrlo vrijedno zmajsko jaje. No, osim viteškog nadmetanja, Dunk otkrije da se u zamku sprema još nešto - urota protiv kralja Sedam ...more
Jaz
De los tres cuentos, este es el mejor, no hay dudas!
Personalmente en un comienzo no me convencía mucho nada Ser Duncan repitiendo constantemente:
"Dunk el Tocho, la mollera tan dura como la muralla de un castillo"
"Tanselle La Giganta era su nombre, pero no era tan alta para mí"
pero creo que el personaje crece a la par de los libros y en este ultimo fue muuuucho mas llevadero. Nada para decir de Egg, que es un niño pero no lo parece.
Mientras leía estos cuentos me daba nostalgia pensar en l
Aditya Ravindran
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my combined opinion about 3 books: The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight

It is very soothing to read a story that is free from chaos of the present-day Westeros. The story-telling in this is as good as any book from A Song of Ice and Fire. Short and interesting, and some crumbs that you can easily connect to the present. Characters are simple and easy to relate to. Also love the point that I don't have to wait for a sequel to enjoy a real good story. George R R Martin's
Lucile
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owning, fantasy
I just LOVED that last story !
The plot is really intense between the different Targaryen heirs, and we can fully understand the tension inside this large family. A war between Dragons, who wouldn't love that ? :D I won't spoil, but the mystery is kept until the final twist and I liked it (compared to the 2 other stories).
Dunk is better than ever, and I quite admired him for his loyalty, honesty and big-heart. Plus, Egg is just hilarious and is more implied in this story because of his origins,
Shey
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This wraps up the Tales of Dunk and Egg novella. Probably my second fave of the trilogy (The Hedge Knight being my top favorite), but still enjoyed reading it. There were some lines that felt repetitive since The Sworn Sword, like Ser Duncan's "clout in the ear" remarks and "died in the spring" or the Great Spring Sickness mentions.

I do like how the characters have developed here, especially Egg. The ending was good and it reminded me of the ending of A Storm of Swords, teehee!
Niksa Perovic
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. Compared to A Song of Ice and Fire, writing is more tale-like, and your heart will not be ripped out by velociraptors whenever you get attached to a character. At least not yet-more stories about Hedge knight and his squire are to be published soon.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Mystery Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg #3), George R.R. Martin
Adi
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the best Dunk and Egg story. I liked how tense it became at one point, and I also liked the ending.
Ashley
The Mystery Knight, the third novella in the Tales of Dunk and Egg series, is probably my favorite. There’s just something so fun about seeing Westeros like this after having lived in Martins’ A Song of Ice and Fire series for so long. All of the events in this series have long slipped into history, if not into legend, by the “present day”. It’s a different Westeros, one in peace (albeit threatening to break out into war), but it’s also the exact same Westeros. Still filled with petty humans sup ...more
Hardeep Singh
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story actually deserves five star no matter what. The previous two were just an introduction to the relationship of Duncan and Egg with a little plot story in it though they were an interesting read while this story actually got a rich plot with some twists and a lot of introduction to other characters of the seven kingdoms that connects other books in the Song of Ice and Fire.

Etienne
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent roman dans lequel on suit encore une fois Dunk et l'oeuf dans leurs aventures. Une bonne intrigue et la beauté tout comme la complexité de l'univers de Georges R. R. Martin font de ce court roman un plaisir de lecture.
Imogeneblue
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Probably my favourite tale from the Dunk and Egg series. Good to finally get an inside look at the Blackfyre supporters! Really interesting story.
Valar Morghulis--...: "The Mystery Knight" - Dunk & Egg #3 - *Marked* Spoilers 13 94 Jan 20, 2017 08:20PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 94 Mar 02, 2016 10:57AM
  • Sworn Sword (The Hedge Knight Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Tower of the Hand: A Flight of Sorrows
  • A Game of Thrones: Comic Book, Issue 10
  • Beyond the Wall: Exploring George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
  • The Wurms of Blearmouth (The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, #5)
  • The Second Draeken War (Combined Edition)
  • The Heroes (First Law World, #5)
  • Die Stimme der Magie (Ulldart - Die Dunkle Zeit, #5)
  • The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)
  • The Great Bazaar and Other Stories (Demon Cycle, #1.6)
  • The River of Shadows (The Chathrand Voyage, #3)
  • Until We Sleep (Dragon Age Graphic Novels #3)
  • The Fell Sword (The Traitor Son Cycle, #2)
  • The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime: Con Artists, Burglars, Rogues, and Scoundrels from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • Secret History (Mistborn, #3.5)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • The Sacred Band (Acacia, #3)
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin

The Tales of Dunk and Egg (3 books)
  • The Hedge Knight (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1)
  • The Sworn Sword (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“Wine makes all things possible.” 65 likes
“One-and-twenty sorts of birds,” said Ser Kyle.
“One-and-twenty sorts of bird droppings,” said Ser Maynard.
“You have no poetry in your heart, ser.”
“You have shit upon your shoulder.”
19 likes