Start by marking “Her Secret Desire (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Secret Desire (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)

Her Secret Desire

(Lord Hawkesbury's Players #1)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  711 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Minerva Peabody needs a man. Unfortunately she picked the wrong one. The impoverished playwright has a dream to see her plays performed on stage but in Elizabethan England, not only are women considered the inferior sex, they simply do NOT write plays. Faced with rejection after rejection, she decides to take one more chance with the most desperate theater manager in Londo ...more
Kindle Edition
Published May 10th 2011 (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Her Secret Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Secret Desire

April
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent, sweet romance. The first of Lord Hawkesbury's Players, stories of romance in and around a group of theater players with an amusing cameo by Shakespeare of course.

Warning for those who prefer 'fade to black' - two hot and sexy scenes are included in the tale.
Eva
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this romantic romp. Devoured it in one sitting. Loved the hero. Enjoyed the wander through Elizabethan London and intend to look up the author's other works.
Jan
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prepare for a romp through Elizabethan England, where finding love is written in the stars...

Comely, courageous Minerva “Min” Peabody, a poor but passionate playwright, is determined to make her mark. Ill-fated to live in Elizabethan England, when women—deemed the inferior sex—most assuredly did not write plays, Min will prevail. With her finished play in hand, she implores Roger Style, a local theatre manager in London, to read it. Though desperate in his own right—due to a string of commercial
Kristen
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I wouldn't say this is a page-turner, or even especially inventive, but it was pleasant enough. The female protagonist character was likable but not charming or offensive, which is too bad. Having a protagonist who is one or the other makes for a good story, but stories starring characters in-between are generally a snooze-fest for me. I found Minerva's earnest doggedness more annoying than inspiring, which is a shame. I love a good period piece where females pursue intellectual things that they ...more
Carol
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Pleasant Read

Set in Elizabethan London, a young woman writes a play. The story continues to introduce an unsuitable husband and an unreachable one too. Who will she choose, and what will she do about her father's work? It has enough variety to hold one's interest,and besides, you'll even meet Shakespeare.
Melissa
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sassy, sexy and frustrating

I'm sure lots of people are gonna love this series, but this book had waaaay too much sex for me. The time period drives me nuts with its ridiculous rules and crazy ideas. The narrator is Excellent and it was a "read and listen for free" kindle unlimited, that is why I gave this book a try. Oh well.
Michelle Fritz PA
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!

If the rest of the series is as entertaining and romantic as this one I'm certainly in for a treat! Min and Blake were meant to be! This was one very intriguing, well plotted and thought out novel ♡ Ms. Archer never fails to offer up witty, heartfelt and intelligent material. Whenever I'm asked for a book recommendation, I always ask, "Have you ever read C.J. Archer?"
Shawn Dennard
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read couldn't put it down

I've read many of Archer's series and decided to go back to the start. As always you push through to the first few chapters and then theres the first twist that captures you and you cannot break free. A funny historical romnce.
Deanna Whitacre
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty awesome world

I like how the author puts me in this work and how I can’t seem to leave it until the last . in the book!
Steph Lichtenauer
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy read

Easy read. Held my attention. Rushed through some parts. I wanted more depth in some spots. Overall, a good story!
John
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grabbed this book as an afterthought. It was a great read. I loved the way the storyline played out. Look forward to reading more of her books.
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Cheerful romantic fluff. An easy fun read that gives you exactly what you're expecting in a sweet and funny way.
Bridgett
Aug 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
I could not get myself to finish this book. As much as I liked the characters, it was just a bit long winded....

I liked the premise of the book. I really did. I do love historical fiction. I do! Just not this one! It was soooooo boring at times. I tried hard to get past it, tried to give it another benefit of the doubt, another chapter and it might get interesting finally... nope...

I am really sorry and I usually try not to write bad reviews, but this book was one big snooze.

I got it free ( I bo
Donna
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I picked this as an audiobook because of the wonderful narrator, Justine Eyre. And she didn't disappoint - her narration was lovely. However, the book itself was entirely forgettable. I was hoping for something a little more immersive for the time period, but the book focused almost entirely on the relationship, missing numerous opportunities to provide some historical detail. It also seemed like the book took a left turn at some point during the editing process.

******* Mild Spoiler Alert ******
Tara Chevrestt
This was a very fun read with a spunky heroine and a unique story line.

It's the time of Shakespeare. Matter of fact, he's even a young actor/playwriter in this. A young woman, Minerva, writes poetry and plays in the flickering of her candlelight, but upon presenting it to a troupe manager, is told women are too dumb basically to write plays.

It's just not acceptable.

Enter Blake. The handsome privateer needs way into Hawkesburry's Players and happens to be in the right place at the right time. Min
Michelle
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute story, but the historical inaccuracies made me cringe, and I normally don't give a fig about those. Really, the meet and kiss on Day One, she uses the kiss to finish her play, and decides she needs more experience so Day Two they end up in bed together. This is so wrong for so many reasons, primarily the fact that they have known each other for (say it with me) TWO DAYS!! Not to mention the time period where women DID NOT even think of doing stuff like that within their father's hearing ran ...more
Daisey
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a cute fluffy romance story set in Elizabethan England. The heroine, Min, is a playwright that can't get her plays performed and she finagles the hero, Blake, into pretending to be the author of her latest play. The plot is pretty straightforward. A lot of situations that are unlikely given the historical setting but, I was able to overlook them for the most part. I liked a lot of the supporting characters more than I did Min and Blake. I think this was a free download to my Kindle so I ...more
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: C.J. Archer
First things first: The author contacted me to see if I would review this (since I've enjoyed her previous work) I agreed and she sent me a copy.

Now onto the review:

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I read it all in one sitting. The author really made you feel for the characters. However, I hated the antagonists more than I like the protagonists. I wanted to slap Min's father, throttle Style and stomp all over Ned. That being said, I did like Min and Blake, they seemed to connect from the first, I
Jenn
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, novella, romance
I am pretty sure that this is full of anachronisms, but it was a fun story as it was. I thought it would be awful, but it was amusing enough that I was thinking about it when I wasn't reading it, wondering what would happen next. The character of Min's father in particular was very interesting. And while it was clear that the author was setting up Alice to be a character who would get her own story next, I was okay with that, too. I would read another story in this series, definitely, the charac ...more
Aug 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was a really poorly thought out book. Actually, perhaps the thought was good but the execution was bad. It was set in Elizabethan England, yet it actually read like 18th century. The plot was weak, and the characters not clearly drawn.

Min, the main character is a virtuous young lady who invites strangers into her bedroom in order to sleep with him so that she can write better plays. What? That is just not believable at all.

Ned, the boy next door who is panting to marry Min suddenly turns i
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
A pretty good book over all, though slow at times. A little unbelievable at times, but nothing suspension of disbelief can't handle. My only real problem comes from the end of the book, which seems as though the author had tired of the story and was rushing to end it and tie things up in a neat package. Where a few parts of the story were slow, the end was a bit hurried, and I caught more than one typo in the last chapters.

I have to disagree with some reviewers who said that there were no hints
Read2review
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Her Secret Desire is a very interesting concept, I love the idea of a women secretly working as a play right in Shakespeare’s time. I loved a lot of the writing. Some of what I didn’t like were some of the things the main character does and some of the lack of historical accuracy. I wasn’t sure how to feel about the main character. In a way she is interesting, but in another way I wasn’t sure if she was really believable.

Either way, I thought it was at least original, if not executed perfectly.
Wylaina
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I happen to have won this book on this site. I'm not normally one to read a romance, but it's summer and I thought, "hey, it's free." I liked it! I was surprised that I liked it so much. The romantic bits were contrived, but overall it's a fun story. I really enjoyed that everything wasn't neat and clean at the end. I also liked the voice actress, Justine Eyre. Half of the enjoyment of an audiobook for me is the person who reads it. If you want something fun, historical, and and easy read, this ...more
Tracy T.
Jul 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow I feel like I wasted my time. This book was so full of nonsense and nothingness.. I skipped at least 10 chapters or more and missed nothing at all. Boring boring boring.
I do not recommend this book. Buy something worth reading.

I listened to this book via audible as I read along. Narration is okay its Justine Erye you you know you getting the same narration from her as always. Not the best but not the worst.
Leigh UK
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't stop listening!

Having just come out of a tedious historical romance series with dithering leading ladies who revelled in being damsels in distress, this was an absolute breath of fresh air. There was no filler, no repetition to make up page numbers and the characters were flawed but likeable. Absolutely loved it! I've already downloaded the next. Also, the narrator was perfect for this book. Again, absolutely loved it!
L.R.W. Lee
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Min was a strong female protagonist most of the time in a world before women were thought to have a brain for more than a hat rack. Very sweet romance even though the premise of what brings Blake and Min together is a bit random, but hey, I'm up for "not probable, but possible" introductions. I'm reading the next book in the series.
Kaye
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it
This book surprised me at how much I enjoyed it. The 660 page length seemed daunting at first but they just flew by. Although some of the scenarios are a bit hard to swallow, the story is still very entertaining.
Billie Jo
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
$5.00 Audible W/S deal Narrated by Justine Eyre. It was well worth the price and I really did enjoy listening to the audiobook but, in all honesty, it's one of those books that I will most likely quickly forget. It's simply a good story with a great narrator.
Chinpearl
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Story was very good. More than I expected from a free Kindle book.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 05, 2015 08:04AM
  • Her Master's Touch
  • Texas Hold Him
  • Legacy
  • Through a Dark Mist (Robin Hood, #1)
  • Silken Threads (Wexford Family, #1; Lords of Conquest, #1)
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • Heart of a Knight
  • On Falcon's Wings
  • The Mistress' House
  • The Privateer
  • Love's Magic (Boadicea, #1)
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • Love from the Ashes
  • Never a Bride
  • When Love is Enough (The Brotherhood #1)
  • Hawks Mountain
  • The Man of Their Lives
C.J. Archer has loved history and books for as long as she can remember and feels fortunate that she found a way to combine the two. She spent her early childhood in the dramatic beauty of outback Queensland, Australia, but now lives in suburban Melbourne with her husband, two children and a mischievous black & white cat named Coco.

While she has written historical romance in the past, she now

Lord Hawkesbury's Players (3 books)
  • Scandal's Mistress (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #2)
  • To Tempt the Devil (Lord Hawkesbury's Players #3)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
“Stories flowed in her blood and they would not stop until every drop had drained from her body.” 0 likes
“For the first time in many nights, Min didn’t sit down at her desk and write. She couldn’t. The words had all shriveled and died within her.” 0 likes