Start by marking “The 36-Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People Who Have Alzheimer Disease, Related Dementias, and Memory Loss” as Want to Read:

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  1,847 Ratings  ·  228 Reviews
Originally published in 1981, The 36-Hour Day was the first book of its kind. Thirty years later, with dozens of other books on the market, it remains the definitive guide for people caring for someone with dementia. Now in a new and updated edition, this best-selling book features thoroughly revised chapters on the causes of dementia, managing the early stages of dementi ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 648 pages
Published October 3rd 2011 by Johns Hopkins University Press (first published November 1st 1981)

Libby
I spent 18 years of my professional life as a social worker specializing in the problems of the aging. Thirteen of those years were in nursing homes and rehab facilities. I could always identify the families of residents with Alzheimer's: they had big black circles under their eyes from lack of sleep. The 36 Hour Day was and is still the best thing written for the loved ones and caregivers of dementia patients. This book will help you deal with the terrible burdens of anger, love, guilt and conf ...more
Deana
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who has a family member suffering from Alzheimer's disease.
Recommended to Deana by: mother-in-law
I picked up this book because it was recommended by the doctor who is helping keep up with the progress of my husband's grandfather's disease. He recommended that all family members read it, but much of the family was avoiding it, claiming it was horrible and too depressing. So I offered to read it and pass on the information that I found useful.

It was an extremely interesting book, though very, very repetitive in its mantra - there is no way that any human being will be able to take care of a l
Kevin
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful and well put together guide about the complex world of Alzheimer dementia and how to care for people who are suffering from it.
Jane Hoppe
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had heard that The 36-Hour Day is the Alzheimer's caregivers bible, and I can see why. Having read other books on the subject, I'd say The 36-Hour Day is a more complete reference guide, helpful in many different stages of caregiving. Chapter titles are Dementia, Getting Medical Help for the Person with Dementia, Characteristic Behavioral Symptoms of Dementia, Problems in Independent Living, Problems Arising in Daily Care, Medical Problems, Behavioral Symptoms of Dementia, Symptoms That Appear ...more
Mskychick
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook-owned
Damn depressing but darn useful
Teresa
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to begin? I read the 1990 version (16th printing) of this originally-printed in 1981 book to glean information in dealing with a loved one who suffers from dementia, so I knew going in that much of the information could potentially be outdated. Given how old it is, it's remarkably current in many/most ways that matter. (If the organization website URL'S and phone numbers are outdated, they're easy enough to find on the web.)

Overall, it was a most helpful read and am so grateful to have had
Crystal
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alzheimers
wow is all i can say.. i love this book will be buying it for references ..
One of the keys to the success of this book is their acceptance that caregivers are going to have emotions, unrealistic ideas about the prognosis, misinformation about the nature of dementia and will underestimate the diseases effects on them and their family. It's okay to feel guilty, it's okay to feel conflicted, it's okay that you eventually may be unable to care for this person you love, whose personality is changing
Abeer Hoque
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-recommend
This is a fabulous and exhaustive guide for families caring for people with Alzheimer's, dementia, and memory loss. It's been around and continually updated for the last 25 years and is couched in compassionate and clear language.

The book goes through all the stages of these tragic, often irreversible conditions, and how to deal with them in various ways, how to discuss and approach them, what (few) medications and (more) therapies are out there, the history and research behind the conditions a
Bea
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, non-fiction, esth
I can't imagine a more comprehensive and compassionate book on caring for a loved one with dementia. Even if you are not a primary caregiver, this will be of interest if you know someone who is or have someone with dementia in your life. The author describes the person is trying his/her best, often making an incredible effort to get through each day and the reasons people with dementia do many of the things they do. I am dealing with this right now and it was an eye-opener that made me more forg ...more
Lauren
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn’t had any practical knowledge of Alzheimer’s Disease beyond dealing with end-of-life dementia in my grandparents so I thought my common sense would steer me through this new journey our family is undertaking. It took a comment from a relative, who’s been dealing with neurological problems, for me to realize how inadequate my education was: when discussing getting lost while driving, I inquired why she didn’t just use her iPad? Exasperated, she replied, “Because it’s not that I couldn’t fi ...more
Cassie ♥
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Comments:

1. Some individuals may seem or even be healthy, but struggle with their "thinking going in circles". p.240

2. Be careful about medication. Each one should be specific for each type of symptoms. Some of these may make hallucinations worse.

3. When a person begins to say the same thing over and over---ask him to sing a familiar song or story. (Distraction)

4. Sundowning is normal. p. 137

Sharon
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is more helpful than anything I've ever read or an advice I have ever received on Alzheimer's disease. It is the ultimate help for family and caregivers.
Dorian Martin
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic! It's one of the best books in helping caregivers understand Alzheimer's disease and other types of dementia.
Larry Killion
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
“Mom is 87 and we've gone through a lot in the last year or so. She is diagnosed with AD and is at the point where she can't live by herself anymore. We attended an all day seminar on Dementia and Alzheimer Disease and they recommended this book. It is excellent and very thorough. It explains the different forms of dementia and all the various different problems that come with it. It covers research and suspected causes along with other medical problems. For me, the best part was when it dealt w ...more
Patty
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update: Taking this book off my "currently reading" shelf since my dad's struggle has ended. I hope to not ever have to return to it, but I will keep it around in case I am confronted with the need again. It is a wonderful and incredibly useful book. Please support the Alzheimer's Association in finding prevention and a cure for this terrible disease.

Original review: This is probably going to be on my "currently reading" list for as long as my dad has Alzheimer's. It's not a book you want to sit
Julie
An excellent guide for understanding and dealing with a loved one who has Alzheimer's/dementia. There has been a lot of frustration in my own family with my grandmother's condition, and this book really put things into perspective for me. Instead of being angry and frustrated, and reacting on raw emotion, I've been able to deal with problems as they arise and with clarity.
J.J.
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really useful reference book for those of us suddenly finding themselves as caregivers for our parents.
Danielle
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful!!!
Cindy
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good things to learn here, but I urge you to read the book, rather than listen to the audio version. It was read by the authors, with the guy taking the lead and the female reading the headings and subheads. The male reader sounded like he was reading his book report out loud to the class -- he sounded so very proud of the material, not to mention his reading of it. Despite his very best efforts to enunciate, his speech impediment caused him to swallow or slur some of the words. And to h ...more
Maria Peth
A wonderful guide for families and friends of people who have memory loss issues. The book is well categorized and therefore makes of easy reference when looking for a baseline of concerning issues which arise with individuals whom are showing signs of Dementia or Alzheimer's. I keep my copy handy.
Christina Dudley
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A helpful (and depressing) overview of what lies ahead and how best to handle it if someone you love has been diagnosed with dementia. There were some tips that I hope to put into practice, but basically you would have to been an angel never to get impatient and angry occasionally, if you're a caregiver 24/7/365.
Paula Schumm
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was reading this book in preparation for my mother's Alzheimer's care when she passed away suddenly. I also volunteer with hospice and see dementia patients on a weekly basis. This is a very informative book, and I recommend it for anyone who has a friend or relative with dementia of any kind.
Patty W
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives you a lot of examples of families that had different problems associated with dementia. The thing that I found the most interesting was the book told of different types of dementia. Not all dementia is Alzheimers.
Tiffany
More depressing than helpful at this point. Better to read at early stages of dementia so you can prepare for what lies ahead. If we didn't live in such a rural area than perhaps some of the resources they suggested would apply.
Gloria
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not really read, but rather skimmed for general structure, dipping into details where it seemed to apply to current situation.

Dense, informative and helpful. Suspect I will need to turn to it as time goes on.
Karen
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
An excellent resource for anyone experiencing this tragic life event. This book is very informative and offers helpful advice in how to communicate with a loved one experiencing memory loss. I highly recommend it.
Tracy
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read if you have a loved one with a dementing illness. The last few chapters about the research seem a little out-dated but the majority of the book is very informative.
Fit4life218
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An EXCELLENT resource for information on all things dementia/Alzheimer's related. It will comfort you when navigating the unknowns of this disease process.
Mary Lou
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this for anyone who works in elder care. I learned so much. It will be my go to book for families that are dealing with the illness. One of the best books I have read this year.
Phyllis Myers
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical advice on the challenges of Alzheimer's and managing your loved one's care.
  • Learning to Speak Alzheimer's: A Groundbreaking Approach for Everyone Dealing with the Disease
  • Creating Moments of Joy for the Person with Alzheimer's or Dementia: A Journal for Caregivers
  • The Forgetting: Alzheimer's: Portrait of an Epidemic
  • Dancing with Rose: Finding Life in the Land of Alzheimer's
  • How Loathsome
  • Where Did I Leave My Glasses?: The What, When, and Why of Normal Memory Loss
  • 10 Simple Solutions to Adult ADD: How to Overcome Chronic Distraction and Accomplish Your Goals
  • Elder Rage, or Take My Father... Please! How to Survive Caring for Aging Parents
  • Crockett's Victory Garden
  • Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul 2: More Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Mothers (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • The Salon
  • Fairy Tales
  • Adventures of a Cat-Whiskered Girl
  • Special Exits
  • Keeper: One House, Three Generations, and a Journey into Alzheimer's
  • The Needs of the Dying: A Guide for Bringing Hope, Comfort, and Love to Life’s Final Chapter
  • The Healing Herbs: The Ultimate Guide To The Curative Power Of Nature's Medicines
  • Healing the Soul in the Age of the Brain: Becoming Conscious in an Unconscious World