Start by marking “Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)

Storm Front

(The Dresden Files #1)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  244,135 Ratings  ·  13,404 Reviews
As in the audio adaptation of Butcher's first Dresden Files novel, Storm Front, Marsters (who played Spike on Buffy the Vampire Slayer) slips easily into the role of down-on-his-luck wizard Harry Dresden. Marsters's self-deprecating tone fits the character perfectly; he reads with a dry, ironic humor that doesn't mask Harry's genuine concern for the lives of innocents. Mar ...more
Published March 4th 2010 by Orbit (first published April 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Storm Front, please sign up.
Catherine My advice is to not be a helicopter parent. Let your child read whatever they want. I read worse when I was 10. Sex and gore is probably what got me…moreMy advice is to not be a helicopter parent. Let your child read whatever they want. I read worse when I was 10. Sex and gore is probably what got me more interested in reading. I went from remedial reader in elementary school to English Major because I discovered the types of books I found compelling. My early forays into the world of reading started with R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike. Better they read books with violence and sex than become mindless internet zombies like most kids these days. (less)
Christie Buchovecky "just left it because it looked like any other urban fantasy." These were the books that introduced me to urban fantasy and I've yet to find another…more"just left it because it looked like any other urban fantasy." These were the books that introduced me to urban fantasy and I've yet to find another series that I like as much. At the time, the first book in the series felt to me like a PI novel written by some college student. Turns out that's exactly what it was. It really does get better. The writing is a little better in book 2, though I didn't like the plot as much (never been into werewolves). For me, the series picked up in book 3 and I fell in love in book 4 (I've seen others say book 5). I'd say skip to there if you really want to see if you like it, but there are SO many important things that happen in book 3, it would really be a shame for you to not know about the various (metaphorical) locks when Dresden finally picks up the key books down the series.

And if that's not enough to convince you, consider this line: "Here's something else I bet you didn't know about Tyrannosaurs: they don't corner well." Whatever you're thinking might lead to that, it's more awesome and entertaining. (less)

Siria
Apr 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not a single person.
Patrick
Dec 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I never got around to reading these books until The Name of the Wind was published. And when I first did, I was a little pissed. First person point of view. Magic based on thermodynamics. Gritty, realistic world. Arrogant wizard who doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. It struck rather close to home....

Some people say that the first few books of this series were kinda rough. But I didn't notice anything particularly untoward about them. In fact, I burned through the whole series (11 books
Nataliya
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of humorous urban fantasy
Let me tell you how a wisecracking Chicago wizard-for-hire with the most rotten luck imaginable won a permanent spot in my heart, making me a devout Dresdenite.

'Twas a week before USMLE Step 1, the most important test for any medical school student as it pretty much determines which medical specialty you are supposedly smart enough to pursue. Basically, the stakes were high and the stress reached the previously unknown heights. By then my poor average-sized brain has been fully stuffed with all
Jesse
Jun 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of bad writing and raping of the noir genre
You know, the premise of this book actually sounded good. A wizard P.I., sure why not. I like wizards and I like P.I.s, so what could be the problem. The problem was I over estimated this author's abilities.

The main character is like some kind of emotionally retarded uber-geek's idealized life. He lives in a basement and subbasement. He ALWAYS wears a black duster and cowboy boots (even when he's wearing sweats and a t-shirt). He has an abnormally large alley cat that likes to drink coke and doe
Kat Kennedy
The Dresden Files is one of those books that's intimidating to approach. It has a hard-core fan group that will scream its praises from the top of the roof. Usually, I would approach with extreme caution. I rarely read a series when I've been assured that it gets good after six books. When people tell me that, I simply quietly encourage them to read the Fever Series and avert eye contact.

However, after a discussion regarding male readers and writers of the Urban Fantasy genre, I felt I should gi
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
2/7/18 - ON SALE for $2.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Lover of Urban Fantasy that I am, it may come as a surprise that before now . . . I have never actually . . . read Jim Butcher . . .

I KNOW. I'm such a poser.

In my defense, I haven't had much luck with male authors in the genre, and come on . . . we're up to what? FIFTEEN installments, with the SIXTEENTH already in the works, so yeah--DAUNTING. Cut me some slack.  And besides, better late than never, right?

Also, I
Lyn
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Urban fantasy is a sub-genre that I have been very much enjoying for a few of years and Jim Butcher’s Harry Dresden series usually tops the lists of readers’ favorites and it has proven wildly popular.

For good reason.

Butcher first published Storm Front in 2000 and it was in this first edition that Butcher introduced readers to Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, Wizard.

Butcher describes his protagonist as a kind of occult private investigator, being chiefly active in the Chicago area. Dresden
Bill  Kerwin

The first volume in the Dresden Files series introduces us to our hero, Harry Dresden, a wizard who is also a private investigator and police consultant. It is written in a breezy, colloquial style that makes you want to keep reading, but except for a few interesting magical twists on the private dick genre (e.g., Harry's tipster is a faery, lured with a bowl of milk and honey and confined within a magic circle until Harry gets the information he needs), the book is thin on plot, lacking in wit
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽

3.5 stars. Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Storm Front has been on my TBR list for ages, but I’ve dawdled in picking it up, given the many disappointed to mildly encouraging reviews for this first book in the DRESDEN FILES series, a mix of urban fantasy and the noir detective genre. A lot of fans of this series say it really only picks up with the 4th book, Summer Knight. (I tried reading Summer Knight out of order last year, and doing that didn’t really pan out for me. Apparent
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Unexpected BR with my girls Robin & Shelly. And some other people. But I have no idea who they are. I'm sure they're lovely. Then again they might not be. Oh well. It wouldn't make any difference if they were. I'm a total BR slut anyway.

Robin wants it known that she didn't recommend this to me. I wonder why. (view spoiler)

►► Pointless review #2586 coming right up! ◄◄

Ladies & gentlemen... Introducing… Harry Dresden, aka Book Boyf
Markus
"My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. I'm a wizard. I work out of an office in midtown Chicago. As far as I know, I'm the only openly practicing professional wizard in the country. You can find me in the yellow pages, under 'Wizards.' Believe it or not, I'm the only one there."

Harry Dresden is Chicago’s only wizard. One day he is contacted by a nervous woman who wants him to investigate the mysterious disappearance of her husband, whom she thinks has d
Mike (the Paladin)
Okay, some who have looked at my other reviews will immediately note I gave this book 5 stars which I noted earlier I save for very special books. I plan to give the Dresden books (so far anyway) 5 stars. Why? Well while they are not Dumas or Dickens (but then again...I'm not sure I'd regularly be giving Dickens 5 stars, how much Dickens can we all really take anyway???) these are wonderful absorbing reads. Special Books.

I won't be giving a long synopsis of each book... I will say they are an or
Amber
Dec 17, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: box-of-shame
This book was terrible. The kind of terrible where I had to force myself to read the last half in a day just so I could be done reading it. The kind of terrible that made me reevaluate all the ratings of books I have previously given because I remembered what type of book I save one star ratings for. The kind of terrible where I roll my eyes at least once per page. The kind of terrible where I literally throw the book across the room when I'm done both out of frustration and out of the primitive ...more
Imane
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
― Jim Butcher, Storm Front

🌟3.75/5🌟
So I heard that this series gets better after each release, i guess we shall see :)!!
Hannah Greendale
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy

Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert Books 1-6 together for $7.99 on 29Nov17 on Amazon

The buddy with a few of my friends at Buddies Books and Baubles

Harry Dresden is not your sauvé hero type, he has trouble with money, women, demons and keeping his clothing on. But he does have actual business cards.

description

Actually the clothing problem seemed almost worse then than some of his other dilemmas. You try fighting evil naked or in sweats and cowboy boots and see how well you fair. He does seem to have a few wizard tricks up his slee
Justin
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
March 2017 Review:

This is now my third time through Storm Front, and while my rating is holding tight at three stars, I enjoyed it more this time thanks to Spike from Buffy and Angel reading it to me. That guy nails Harry Dresden's character and breathes new life into him. His carefree "whatever yeah here I'm reading the book, alright?" tone was awesome. It made the story so much better.

It also made me realize how one of the only adjectives Butcher knows is the word "naked". Everything and ever
TS Chan
This is an updated review.

My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights, when no one else can help you, give me a call. I'm in the book.

Harry Dresden is a wizard living in modern Chicago who works as a private investigator for all things supernatural or paranormal. He wears a black duster coat, carries a staff (well, a blasting rod in his own words) and has a basement where he conc
Brooke
Jun 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buffy fans
Shelves: 2007, own, fantasy
Earlier this year, I greatly enjoyed the first season of the Sci Fi Channel's The Dresden Files. It certainly wasn't Buffy or X-Files caliber, as far as paranormal television goes, but it was great escapism fun with some interesting characters. As I'm likely to do after discovering that something I watched and enjoyed was based on a book, I went out and got the first book in the series.

I read the 300-pages of Storm Front in less than 24 hours, and it was such a relief to read something light aft
Will M.
Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden is a wizard. He is also a detective, and he's best at what he does. When a suspicious magic related murder occurred, the Chicago P.D. comes to him for answers. Aside from that though, he also has other personal cases at hand.

My very first Urban Fantasy novel. I've been wanting to read this for months now, and I'm glad that I finally did. Crime/Detective-Fantasy is something new to me, but not anymore. Two of my favorite genres combined, and executed wonderfu
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Dear Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden,

description

First of all, the audiobook edition of this story is freaking incredible. James Marsters could recite the dictionary and I'd be hanging on his every word, but combine that voice with the awesome writing of Jim Butcher and I'm in heaven, I'm simply in HEAVEN!

The "first book info dump" wasn't too bad here. I easily kept up with the world-building and I loved what the author created. I loved everything about it, actually. My only issue with this story was
Emma
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of this series. I haven't caught up yet- I think the next I will be reading is Cold Days. Many of my goodread friends are also Harry Dresden fans and there seems to be a general acknowledgement that the first three books are good but the series gets better over time. I've always agreed with that. Then audible had an offer on Stormfront and as I had heard good stuff about the narrator for this series, I jumped in for a reread.
Well- this was fantastic the second time round. I remember w
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Urban fantasy about a modern day wizard who acts as a consultant for the Chicago police. Candy in book form but I enjoyed it. The narrator for the audio book managed to sound world weary and dour the entire time, which was actually rather impressive.

My favorite part is when Bob, the spirit of intellect that Harry keeps around as a sort of wizard computer/database, advised using tequila as the base for a love potion. Harry argues for the more traditional champagne but Bob shuts him down, saying s
Conor
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Storm Front is the first book in Jim Butcher’s genre-defining Urban Fantasy series ‘The Dresden Files’. Despite being the first in a 15 book series Storm Front was surprisingly easy to get into and even worked well as a standalone story. This was my first time reading Urban Fantasy and I found it to be an enjoyable read with a funny, likeable protagonist, fast placed plot filled with plenty of twists and turns and an extensive cast of diverse, well-written secondary characters. While I was frust ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Harry Dresden is a wizard for hire. His advert even says so. Enter a very interesting character in the urban fantasy genre. Having grown up in the Chicago area, it's very cool to see this fine city through the eyes of an interesting guy like Harry. In some respects, he's a very normal guy. However he truly is a wizard. He inherited his magical abilities from his deceased mother, and makes a living at it. Helping people. He also works for the Police Department solving crimes of an unusual nature. ...more
Laurel
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Hot damn, that was a fun read! I know full well the reason I've been avoiding the series was that I would get hooked, and have even more books on my to-read shelf, but I just can't help it! Dresden is a sarcastic, bitter, tongue in cheek rogue that would make Han Solo proud. The plot moves quickly, the action is imaginative, and the humor puts the perfect cherry on top. What a great character!
Robin Hobb
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid. A good introduction to the world, the character and the magic. It finished up the main plot nicely and left some very interesting threads dangling that are undoubtedly pursued in later books. Several people told me that this was one of the 'weaker' Dresden books. I'll take that to mean that they just get better and better, as I found nothing weak here to complain about.
Fey
Decided to try this series, as I keep hearing 'Dresden files' everywhere for some reason, and apparently it's even a tv series? I couldn't let an urban fantasy get so popular without knowing what its about!

There are many mixed reviews about this, some love it and some hate it. But I am suprised at the negative reviews, as many complaints could be raised against the genre as a whole, but if you pick up an urban fantasy book - don't you know what you're getting into? I've seen complaints about th
Lindsey Rey
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, mystery
I enjoyed this way more than I was expecting! I cannot wait to get my hands on the next one.
StoryTellerShannon
This is a revised review as of 4/14/2013. Several of the images were off Google Image detailing the graphic novel for visual impact but this is an actual review of the novel.

Tale focuses on a man, well, not just a man, but, a wizard in current day Chicago who uses his magical powers to solve mysteries. Most of them focus on the supernatural and there's a whole underbelly of mythical creatures which mortals are mostly unaware of . .. vampires, werewolves, enemy wizards, faeries, ghosts, etc.

ST
  • Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • An Artificial Night (October Daye, #3)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)
  • Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim, #3)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
“Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.” 1449 likes
“Have you ever felt despair? Absolute hopelessness? Have you ever stood in the darkness and known, deep in your heart, in your spirit, that it was never, ever going to get better? That something had been lost, forever, and that it wasn't coming back?” 363 likes