Start by marking “The Bride Price” as Want to Read:
The Bride Price

The Bride Price

Gently bred Bryna O'Toole had just arrived at her father's Tangier mansion when she was kidnapped and sold into slavery. She was bound for the glaring white sands of Arabia and the harem of lecherous wastrel Nassar bin Hamza.

Bryna's only hope of escape lay with Sheik Sharif Al Selim, noble lion of the desert. But Sharif's honor kept him far from his nephew's woman despite
Mass Market Paperback, 466 pages
Published January 1992 by HarperPrism

To ask other readers questions about The Bride Price, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bride Price

Start your review of The Bride Price
Misfit
Warning to potential readers - don't assume this is your run of the mill old-skool bodice ripper. Yes, the heroine is kidnapped and sold into slavery, but for reasons she's able to keep her virtue, so there's not all that rapey stuff one finds in most of the older harem/slave books from back in the day.

Hooray, some of you might say, but I'm going to have to burst that bubble, because unfortunately nothing else happens except our merry band of captives and captors do nothing for 95% of the book e
L.
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
1.5 Stars

American Bryna O'Toole gets kidnapped by slavers and eventually ends up owned by a Bedouin tribe ruled by Sharif Al Selim. Bryna's father and her fake fiance are in pursuit. The ensuing journey and hardships help the fake fiance have a change of heart. Too bad this happens off-screen as it sounds like it would have been potentially interesting to see the selfish young man become a thoughtful and caring person.

As another reviewer has already pointed out, about 80% of this story is nothin
Jaimie
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good I didn't want it to end.
Since there is no description of the book listed here I will give a brief one:

Bryna is an American who was raised in an convent/orphanage in Lousiana because her mother died and her father lives in the middle east and cannot raise her alone. Her father sends for her to live with him in Moracco when she is grown. On the ship she meets a Lt. in the British army and Bryna thinks she falls in love with him but really he is just using her for a distracti
Christine
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Really enjoyed this book and I think the author did a lot of research for it. I would definitely read more from this author.
Izzie d
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty miserable book. In this day and age and in the western world it's hard to understand the culture of many wives and selling women as slaves. Women having no rights and being bartered as the men see fit.
It's pretty depressing, it gets more interesting around 70%ish.
Cindy Woods
Could have been a good book

Disappointed with this attempt at a romantic tale....It was so boring at times throughout I almost didn't finish reading the entire book. It is a great plot but incredibly boring as written. I forced myself to plow through the first several chapters. It was dry and at times pointless. There was a lot of good material to work with here. Possibly a good editor may have made the difference. I wouldn't recommend this book...It will put you to sleep.
Rubia La Faye
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book. Not only does it tell a lot of historical (accurate sounding) information it also depicts quite believable how someone stranded in a foreign and scary situation might fall in love with someone over time. (And I do not mean two days like in some romance books). I also liked the idea of how the guy is struggling with his honour and what might be doing the right thing.
Jenyfer Matthews
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved the setting - both place and time - for this book but there were times that the author's attention to cultural detail overwhelmed the characters' story so that I couldn't quite lose myself. I enjoyed the book overall very much. ...more
Debbie Henderson
Nov 03, 2013
Adriana
Mar 23, 2012
Shannon
rated it did not like it
Aug 04, 2014
Pat
Feb 27, 2015
Jenna
Sep 07, 2013
Sydney
May 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: "The Bride Price" by Karen Jones Delk 1 1 Oct 03, 2013 04:12PM

• The Wildest Heart
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • True Love's Fire (Hell Yeah!, #12)
  • The Crucible
  • The Devil's Own (Hellraisers, #2)
  • The Fortunate Ones
  • Carolina Booty
  • Heat
  • Cottonwood
  • The Thorn Birds
  • Texas Born (Long, Tall Texans #46)
  • The Garment Maker's Daughter
  • Jasmine
  • Gilded Rose (Celestials, #1)
  • The Sins of Lord Easterbrook (Rothwell #4)
  • His Mistress' Baby
  • Destroyed (Omega’s Destruction, #3)
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
Two of my novels, Emerald Queen and The Bride Price, are currently available online. I have also written four historical romances for Harlequin Historicals, under the name Kate Kingsley: Ransom of the Heart, Season of Storms, The River Sprite and The Scout's Bride.

With my husband of 40 years, I have begun to split my time between Northern California and the Texas Gulf Coast and am re-learning how