Start by marking “The Lovers of Pound Hill” as Want to Read:
The Lovers of Pound Hill

The Lovers of Pound Hill

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
When city girl Molly Bonner arrives in the village of Lufferton Boney, she creates quite a stir. With her non-country-style boots, determined manner and alluring looks, she sets off a wave of intrigue that ripples through the lives of everyone there, from Julie the barmaid at the Holly Bush to antiques dealer Dryden Fellows and Montmorency the cat. Nobody knows exactly wha ...more
Published May 5th 2011 by Hutchinson

To ask other readers questions about The Lovers of Pound Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lovers of Pound Hill

Cath Hughes
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved it. So amusing. Excellent characters. Laugh out loud throughout
Mollie completely transforms the village bringing joy all around.
I loved this book.
Nora Branch Library
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't like all of Mavis Cheek's books, though I think she's a very gifted writer - sometimes the themes just don't appeal to me. However, I LOVE the Lovers of Pound Hill. Not only is the prose Absolutely Brilliant, the characters are beautifully fleshed out and the outcome just makes me feel cozy. There are a lot of alleged "feel good" books out there, but most are by terrible writers like Jan Karon or Debbie Macomber. For some reason, more skilled authors prefer tackle depressing subjects. I ...more
Dorothy
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It has an air of Midsomer Murders about it - a cosy English-village mystery, except that this is an archaeological mystery not a murder. It had a multiplicity of characters but they were all well drawn and therefore easy to keep track of. A nice easy summer escape.
Harriet
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Although I like the concept of this book I disliked the style of story telling. I cannot bear it when the author's voice is omnipresent; playing god with the characters, each personality completely summed up. It just made me dislike the characters and detached me from the plot.
Ronnie
Jun 21, 2013 added it
Not my choice, this is a book club read
Clare Coffey
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am usually quite a big fan of Mavis Cheek. However, I could not get into this title at all. I read the first fifty pages and then gave up. I will try another time.
Sam Colloff
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
really enjoyed this. wickedly amusing, clever concept, great read. can just see this as one of those wonderful english movies- the judi dench, dame maggie smith type.
Alison Smith
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Textbook example of how to write about a saucy subject in the most delicate of terms, whilst making the meaning abundantly clear! Thoroughly entertaining but perhaps not one of Mavis Cheek's best.
Jill
May 02, 2014 rated it liked it
A quaint little light hearted farce for an easy reading escape.
Barbara Hodkinson
Really enjoyed this book. Love the author.
Liz
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Enjoyed the style of the book, the omnipresent narrator. It fitted in well with the mystical flavour of the story. Nice for a change to have the loose ends all tied up.
Kristina Gill
Sep 25, 2018
Jill Yates
Dec 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Born in Wimbledon, now part of London, Mavis left school at 16 to do office work with Editions Alecto, a Kensington publishing company. She later moved to the firm's gallery in Albemarle Street, where she met artists such as David Hockney, Allen Jones, Patrick Caulfield and Gillian Ayres. In 1969 she married a "childhood sweetheart", Chris Cheek, a physicist, whom she had met at a meeting of the Y ...more