Start by marking “The Windward Road: Adventures of a Naturalist on Remote Caribbean Shores” as Want to Read:
The Windward Road: Adventures of a Naturalist on Remote Caribbean Shores

The Windward Road: Adventures of a Naturalist on Remote Caribbean Shores

The Windward Road, published in 1956, made history. When Archie Carr began to rove the Caribbean to write about sea turtles, he saw that their numbers were dwindling. Out of this appeal to save them grew the first ventures in international sea turtle conservation and the establishment of the Caribbean Conservation Corporation.

In addition to sea turtle biology, Carr rec
Published March 1st 1980 by University Press of Florida (first published March 28th 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Windward Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Windward Road

Jeremy Evans
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking you back to an unfamiliar world and and set in another time period, Archie Carr expertly narrates his travels throughout the Caribbean seas. From patiently watching the lively Petes (sloths) and strolling the turtle beaches of Costa Rica, Carr permits the reader to see the world through his trained naturalist eyes. Covering stories from one journey and expedition to another on various islands and coasts, his quest for filling in the gaps of scientific knowledge are made known to through c ...more
David Desautels
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While in undergrad in Zoology at UF I never had a class with Archie Carr, however we did study him in English Lit. That's how well he wrote. Been many years since I read the last book of his. This brought back many memories. He was an exceptional man both in the wild in academia.
Melanie Wegner
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A book from my husband's shelves.
Full of small and important stories about the beginning of the discovery of ocean life.
Written in the 40's. A time I will not know but have a small understanding of now.
Devin
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great travelogue. Story of sea turtle conservation from pioneer in this field. Great way to voyage to the tropics, especially central america, without leaving a couch. Excellent writing - kinda in the line of Aldo Leopold writing - strong spark of naturalist/nature throughout.
Melanie
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What an insight into the life and thinking processes of a natural scientist in the golden age of 50s. How amazing to see the life and style of a world past. It made me think of the knowledge that we take for granted today. Very enjoyable.
Rosemary
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely book. I read it my preteen son who also loved it.
Lucas Miller
Jun 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Archi Carr was my idol in my late college days. The founder of sea turtle conservation and a great nature writer.
Ths
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you feel like taking a trip to warm, sandy beaches, this book will take you there.
Bruna Pernas
Matthew Ignoffo
Dec 04, 2013
Kase Sauvage
May 21, 2012
Dr. Archie Fairly Carr, Jr. was a Professor of Zoology at the University of Florida, a herpetologist, ecologist and a pioneering conservationist. In 1987 he was awarded the Eminent Ecologist Award by the Ecological Society of America. He made extraordinary contribution to sea turtle conservation by way of bringing attention to the world's declining turtle populations due to over-exploitation and l ...more