Start by marking “Ghosts of a Tired Universe” as Want to Read:
Ghosts of a Tired Universe

Ghosts of a Tired Universe

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  33 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
There are worlds where passion means more than action. There are places where time has no meaning, and anything is possible. When a heart-broken sculptor seeks them out, existence itself may crumble under the weight of his pain.

Extended Description:
Charles is a sculptor of unparalleled skill, obsessed with emphasizing the few beautiful aspects of what he considers to be a
Published (first published April 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of a Tired Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of a Tired Universe

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareDelirium by Lauren OliverSilence by Becca FitzpatrickThe Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
Best Books of 2011
2,391 books — 7,144 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Man Without Qualities by Robert MusilThe Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria RilkeThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Best Literary Fiction
842 books — 1,201 voters

More lists with this book...

Haresh Daswani
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jonas has written what is indeed a mind blowing material that is mixed with poetry in every line.

His piece just made me crazier in the past two days, seeing the world in a newfound confusion, staring at human mortals with the same question that lingers within my head as it all goes through. We seem to be mortals unaware of personal divine potential, or are we seeking to wish it so?

Page after page, word after word, Jonas has really thought well, pondered deep, and injected thoughts, concepts, a
Home. Love. Books.
This is very philosophical book outlining the journey of two friends, Dormius and Charles, although Charles is clearly the focal point of the book. Both men are artists, and as they say great pain breeds great art. Charles is in love with a woman named Mira, who is brutally raped and as a result of that assault loses her mind. This drives Charles into himself more than ever before.

Of course there is more to the story than that. Both Charles and Dormius are both gifted, Charles with the ability t
Melanie
Sep 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
There was something about this book that I just did not like. The story itself was interesting, and could have been great! There are layers upon layers in this story, starting with a desert wise man and a journalist, to Donatello and Gray (who's role isn't actually laid out until the very end), and then there is Charles and Dormius (and Mira, who reads more as a plot device than a character). Honestly, they were all kinda assholes (which is fine, but there really wasn't anything redeeming about ...more
Merce

The writing... it seems so beautiful. But confusing. And maybe even cryptic. For most the first half of the book I had a hard time following the story and struggled to read it. I had a feeling it was telling an amazing story I just wasn't sure what was going on. By the second half I started being able to understand more and that made me very happy because the story was amazing. But sadly, I was so confused throughout so much of the book that I didn't get a real feel for it overall so I can't sa
Eddie Retelj
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book with mind-bending depth that will mean different things to different people depending on where you are in your journey. I love books that make you see the world in a new way and Jonas' book certainly delivers in this respect. The often poetic narration is a thrill to read. The story will echo in my mind for some time...
Tasha
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is life-changing. Samuelle writes in an incredibly original style that is both whimsical and deeply concerned with the nature of being . . . destined to be the cornerstone of a new era in literature.
Shay
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
I could not follow the plot to well in the beginning of the book. It did get easier as you went along. As I read I kept thinking this is not my kind of book. It was to deep. I like to read to relax and this is not what this book did for me.

Elisa
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love it.
Julie
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A compelling fantasy that bounds across mysticism, theology, and the state of humanity in an elegant and thought-provoking tale. A “must read” for Neil Gaimon fans and a “should read” for everyone else.

In a wasted corner of Arizona that time can’t see, a journalist arrives for an interview more important that he knows. He has been sent to uncover the event now known as ‘The Forgetting’ but is, in fact, the mysterious disconnect of everyone in the world from his or her previous life. Though the j
Valerie Mcqueen
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
My review of Ghosts of a Tired Universe by Jonas Samuelle

Rating 4****
This book was provided free from the author in exchange for honest literary review
This is a story of Charles and his sidekick Dormius. It follows the two from a stint in a juvenile detention center on through adulthood. Both are artisans, focusing on sculpture and poetry/writing respectively. Their common threads seems to weave a strong but unlikely friendship.
After a brutal rape on his love Mira, which leaves here scarred f
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Creative Reviews: Review for Ghosts of a Tired Universe 4 15 Jul 23, 2012 09:38AM
Creative Reviews: Neil Gaiman-style contemporary fantasy 14 20 Sep 07, 2011 04:48PM
Jonas Samuelle awoke in an Arizona vineyard some years ago to find that he had no memory, a bleeding head-wound, and a shotgun leveled at him. Some of these issues have yet to be remedied.

More about Jonas Samuelle...
“If I do fall, it'll be the earth that dies on impact.” 4 likes
“As Donatello died, his essence echoed across the universe, and rolled back. It splintered into pieces of energy that crashed into the earth. The pieces broke on impact with the atmosphere, and rained down as one thousand and one lies, forty-six broken promises, and three people saying the words "I don't love you, anymore.” 2 likes