Start by marking “The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters (Secret McQueen, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters (Secret McQueen, #0.5)

The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters

(Secret McQueen 0.5)

Are blind dates supposed to be this bloody?

A "Secret McQueen" Story

They say it's impossible to find a man in New York City. Secret McQueen needs to find two in one night. Of course, it ll mean pulling off the impossible find and kill a displaced rogue vampire without disrupting the first promising date she s had in ages. As a werewolf hybrid used to walking a fine line of
Published July 1st 2011 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters

Prince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisShiver by Maggie StiefvaterBlood Rites by Quinn LoftisNightshade by Andrea CremerLinger by Maggie Stiefvater
Werewolves
794 books — 1,191 voters
Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDark Lover by J.R. WardLover Eternal by J.R. WardLover Awakened by J.R. WardMy Healer by Alanea Alder
Bestest Paranormal Books
340 books — 406 voters

More lists with this book...

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Prequels are a good way of testing any unknown series. If done right, you continue reading.
The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters does its job pretty well. The protagonist, a glimpse of vampire politics, hints to various other beings like the fae and a promise of romance are all as entertaining as you can get in a shorter story. There is a threat of a love triangle, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Don't expect too much from this story. It has just enough to make you want to see this wo
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: werewolves
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I was really excited when I received this one for review. I haven't come across a werewolf-vampire hybrid heroine since Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson Guardian series. The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters is a short prequel to Something Secret This Way Comes. I haven't read the full length novel yet but after reading this one I have every intention on getting to it sooner rather than later. I really enjoyed this novella. It's action-packed, with great characters and Sierra Dea
Julie
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters. I actually read it before Something Secret This Way Comes, but I don’t think it matters which way you go. Sierra does an excellent job introducing us to Secret and giving us a bit of her background without it feeling like she is giving us a huge back story. And that is important in a novella because you don’t want to be spending half the book learning about a character you may have already read anyways. Holden is in this story too and ...more
Kelly
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Guys, there's a kiss in this story that will knock your socks off. It's smoking. I think Secret walked away from it a little addled. It was just... whoa. Honestly, the story could have stopped at that kiss and I would have been happy. Yes, it was that good. Thank you, Sierra Dean. Thank you.

The good news is that the kiss isn't the be all and end all of this story. It was just the cherry on top. So to speak. I mean, Secret gets to kick some ass. And kiss a guy. And kick some more ass. And go on a
Ronda
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ronda by: Carmel (Rabid Reads)
A lot of action, some romantic possibilities and a lot of openings for future books.

I picked this one up because of the review I've read by a friend on my list (Carmel Rabid Reads), her point of view on these books had/has me curious and I'm glad because this was a great first read... So although Carmel hasn't directly recommended me this book, her review is the reason I picked it up.

I really enjoyed this prequel to Secret's world and it's a world I will definitely be visiting!!! I'm already wan
Isa Lavinia
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Seems promising, Secret is not a Mary-Sue and, even though she's a vampire/werewolf hybrid, doesn't have any out-of-this-world powers to make her special. Also, so far she's not one of those UF heroines who are always cracking stupid jokes and acting like they can't be bothered with basic social skills just so they appear "tough", she's pretty likeable and believable.

Let's hope it holds throughout the series.
SheLove2Read
Aug 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Interesting read. I had hoped it would be a little more romance than it was, but I did enjoy it. I'll be looking for the next book soon.
Rachel- Goodbye Borders
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
Secret is 1/2 vampire and 1/2 werewolf. No many know of her mixed heritage. She happens to be an assassin who kills vampires are dictated by the vampire counsel. She's out on a date and is also trying to kill her next job.
This was a great introduction and I'm interested in learning about Secret, this world, Holden, and anything else that pops up.
Stella
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As my enthusiasm was quite exuberant, you must know how much I luurved Sierra Dean’s debut novel, the first book in the Secret McQueen series: Something Secret This Way Comes (but if you somehow managed to miss it, you can find my fan girl-like gushing review here).

So after loving Something Secret This Way Comes to pieces I have to say it wasn’t easy for Sierra Dean to floor me as my expectations were skyscraper high, but she not only met but even surpassed them!

The Secret Guide to Dating Monste
Lisa
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters is a short little novella by author Sierra Dean. Her other book "Something Secret This way Comes" was reviewed on the blog a while back and you can find that review here. Let me give you the blurb.

The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters

A Secret McQueen Novella

Coming July 19, 2011

Are blind dates supposed to be this bloody?

They say it’s impossible to find a man in New York City. Secret McQueen needs to find two in one night. Of course, it’ll mean pulling off the imp
Kristen
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vamps, romance, wolves
GENRE: Paranormal Romance
THEME: Werewolves and Vampires
RECEIVED: Received for review
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
The prequel to Something Scecret This Way Comes, The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters follows Secret McQueen on one of her job for the council of Vampire council during a date.

I loved this novella because it helped me better understand what Secret has do go through on a daily bases when she’s working. While trying to go on a date with a guy her friend set her up with Se
Jenne
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75
I'm not much for novellas but this does make some referenced events throughout the series, make sense. Lots of my favorite vampire in this one too! Holden rocks :)
Secret just stays in trouble which is always fun. I don't think you have to read it before starting the series. I'd pick it up after a book or two.
Alisha
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of feisty UF heroines
What a freakin' surprise this little story was! The premise to this story seemed pretty no-nonsense, nice and straightforward. While that's exactly what it ended up being, I was charmed by the characters and quirky style of the protagonist, Secret McQueen.

The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters didn't have a whole lot in the way of exposition and world building, but I think that's the whole point. I hear that it was written (and certainly published) after the first full-length book in the series was
Nicole
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2011/07/14/...

Publisher: Samhain
Publish Date: July 19th
How I got this book: eARC from author

This is a short but very action packed novella featuring Secret kicking ass and taking names. Secret’s best friend has set her up on a blind date, and the last thing she wants to do is suffer through it. When Holden shows up with an assignment, it might provide Secret with the perfect change to ditch her date and go out doing what she loves.

But once
Sierra Dean
Feb 26, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Re-reading for re-release purposes. No rating, because I wrote it.
(That said, Secret is a lot of fun to read)
Jen Davis
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a great introduction to the world of Secret McQueen! It's full of action, violence, and just a hint of romance -- perfect for a novella. And it managed to give me a taste for the series, without any big info dumps or backstory.

Secret is part-vamp, part-werewolf, and all ass-kicking bounty hunter. She works for the vampire council, dispatching rouge vamps who need to be put down. Her job and her supernatural side have made it difficult to hold down a relationship, but her friend Mercedes is
Pia
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
3,5 stars, maybe?

Short stories never really do it for me, because of the format, but I wanted to read the prequel before giving the first book of the series a chance.

So far, I'm intrigued enough to keep on reading. Good start.
Vannessa
This short novella was brilliant! The introduction to Secret and her date with Detective Tyler certainly explains his manner with her in later books. If you haven't read any of this series, start with this book to give you a taste of what is to come in the rest of it.
Patricia
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patricia by: Melanie
This is how novellas should be. Teasing, with an actual plot, giving the readers a glimpse at what the real thing might be like.

I *LOVED* it!
Mitabird
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Re-read: 5/10/14 - 3.5 stars

Original read: 4/6/12 - 4 stars
Lorre
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this prequel! It's a great intro to the world of Secret McQueen and I'm looking forward to read the rest of the series!
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One word AWESOME!

Fans of the series: Riley Jensen {by Keri Author}, Jaz Parks {by Jennifer Rardin} and The Chicagoland Vampires {by Chloe Neill} will want to read this series by Sierra Dean.
Julie Read Our Lips! Book Review Blog
The Secret... features:

paranormal romance
no sexual content
kissing
vampires
suspense

The subway incident is finally explained.
Larry Pearson
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining novella

I usually select longer reads than this, but I enjoyed this book. I found the main character to be both kickass and sympathetic.
Cheryl
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5
Alex Latham
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 81 complete.

I was told that since I completed the challenge, that no matter how big or small a book was I could post it. Thank you for the permission (you know who you are). :P
Kendra
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Please visit Reader's Edyn for full review including excerpts and dialogue highlights:

So technically speaking this novella is number two in the Secret McQueen series when searching by publication date. However, I have dubbed this novella 0.5. *loud applause and cheers* I know, I know. The brilliance is awesomesauce! *takes a bow* The reason for such brilliance is that The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters is more of a prequel to book 1, Something Secret This Way Comes.

Secret
Deanna Perkins
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This story gives you a great introduction to Secret McQueen who is an assassin for the vampire council hired to take out rouge vampires who are threatening to expose them. Secret is half werewolf and half vampire, however the vampires do not realize that her other half is werewolf and keeping it that way is her best option.

Secret has a great personality on her and you really get to hear that throughout this novella. She’s also kick ass with her fighting style and the reputation that precedes her
Tori
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Originally reviewed at http://www.smexybooks.com/2011/07/rev...

Favorite Quote: “Girls who think boobs are their most distracting assets haven’t been watched by a vampire.”

Secret’s best friend, Mercedes, has the perfect man for her. Secret’s life doesn’t lend itself to many possible romantic interests so she decides to accept the latest blind date offering. When Secret meets her blind date, the luscious Detective Tyler Nowakowski, she decides that perhaps the Gods are finally smiling down on her.

• The Weird Girls (Weird Girls, #0.5)
  • Quinn's Quest (Legacy, #4)
  • Blood Passage (Blood Destiny, #2)
  • To Catch A Vampire (F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad Investigation, #2)
  • Blooded (Jessica McClain, #0.5)
  • Bitter Disenchantment (Coveted, #0.4)
  • Forbidden Drink (Kindred, #3)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • The Zero Dog War (Zero Dog Missions, #1)
  • Semi-Human (Harper Hall Investigations, #2)
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
  • Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)
  • Kissed by Fire (Sunwalker Saga #2)
  • Wild & Steamy (Includes: Iron Seas #0.4; The Disillusionists Trilogy #2.5)
  • Redemption (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #4)
  • Sabine (And the Beast, #1)
  • Necromancing Nim (Necromancing Nim, #1)
  • Thread of Death (Elemental Assassin, #5.5)
Sierra Dean is a reformed historian. She was born and raised in the Canadian prairies and is allowed annual exit visas in order to continue her quest of steadily conquering the world one city at a time. Making the best of the cold Canadian winters, Sierra indulges in her less global interests: drinking too much tea and writing urban fantasy.

Ever since she was a young girl she has loved the idea of

Secret McQueen (9 books)
  • Something Secret This Way Comes (Secret McQueen, #1)
  • A Bloody Good Secret (Secret McQueen, #2)
  • Deep Dark Secret (Secret McQueen, #3)
  • Keeping Secret (Secret McQueen, #4)
  • Grave Secret (Secret McQueen, #5)
  • Secret Unleashed (Secret McQueen, #6)
  • Cold Hard Secret  (Secret McQueen, #7)
  • A Secret to Die For (Secret McQueen #8)
  • Secret Lives (Secret McQueen, #9)