Start by marking “No Rest for the Wicked” as Want to Read:
No Rest for the Wicked

No Rest for the Wicked

When fairy tale villains are real, and go bump in the night, who is going to bump back?

Veronica Grim has one objective: take out the villain by any means necessary. Anything goes in this grisly short story based on a Grimm's fairy tale.
Published April 17th 2011

To ask other readers questions about No Rest for the Wicked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Rest for the Wicked

Leah
.5 stars

What in the hell did I just read?
Carolyn F.
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short story

Veronica's job is to help out people that appear to be part of fairytales with whatever violent means she needs. Lots of action for such a short story.
Danielle
Read This Review & More Like It At Ageless Pages Reviews

First, this book is only two short stories and three ads. Second, the stories just aren't very well written. It seemed like there could be a good idea, although not overly original, in a detective agency/task force devoted to cleaning up fairy tale villains. Unfortunately, neither the world, nor Veronica, are given any depth, background, character... Are these villains modeling themselves after classic fairy tales? Is this a world where
Wendy
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Kindle free short stories, though I don't think that's reason enough to make about half of the 'book' teasers for other books.

This book is actually only 2 short stories, the first being really, really short. I liked Knight's writing style and modernisation of traditional fairy tale characters, but my main complaint is that the stories were too short. The main character and get world seem like they could be really interesting, but they aren't really described at all. We just need to assume she's
Christine
Really a 2.5. The first story is good, the second I didn't like.

I'm conflicted about these stories. I'll admit, I didn't pay for it; it was offered free for the kindle.

The first story concerns the hunting of a Bluebeard figure, and the modern tone feels right. It is well done. The writing and proofread, while not poetic, is good. I think what puts me off is that the stories seem to be trying too hard to few shocking. For some reason that doesn't work for me.

Idea is excellent though.
P.J. Jones
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent short story collection made me want much more. I've downloaded Legacy of the Empress after the teaser in No Rest. Can't wait to read it.
BookBunny
Jul 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
Poor writing, tons of distracting errors, and not a great plot. Did not enjoy.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This book was okay. It is a bit jarring because the transitions between chapters is abrupt. Or perhaps they weren't really chapters but individual stories. If so, then this is more disappointing because it appears the author is throwing several ideas together and not fleshing them out. What she does have is a good start. The ideas are good and like where she's going. If she could focus on each story with a beginning, middle and end, that would be good. For example, the Bluebeard one is just the ...more
Pen-rye-n
Here's my major complaint about this "book" of short stories: Half the book was a teaser for another book. The short stories consisted of two. And they were not kidding when they called them short. Super short. Like, I read both stories in 10 minutes.

The stories themselves, however, were pretty great. I like Knight's writing style and I loved the modernized take on classic fairy tales. Is there a full length story out there featuring Veronica? Because I'd snap that up in a heartbeat.

So, in concl
Robert Beveridge
Rebecca Knight, No Rest for the Wicked (Amazon Digital Services, 2011)

First in what looks like a series of short-short collections from Knight. Put me in mind of Seanana McGuire, save that the Toby Daye books are mystery, while these are more on the thriller side of things (urban fantasy? paranormal romance? you be the judge). As with a number of Kindle shorts I've read, the main problem here is that this, which clocks in at 14pp., is too short; there's a lot more to these characters, and I can'
Joeseph Simon
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
I've always enjoyed reading a good short story make the time on the bus or waiting for other things to happen. It helps pass the time, In the case of No Rest for the Wicked we what I believe is the start of a series of stories focusing on Veronica Grim, where at the end I am more than happy to so a search on occasion to see if any more Fairy Tale Assassin stories have come out (of which the story Carnivore is part of this series).
Ashley
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
So I can't say enough about how much I like the idea of this story. The story itself, two very short stories, were mostly well written, but fun, and interesting. I really wish she'd put more into them, they could be great. It would be a wonderful novel is she thickened it up, more back story, more character development, more description. Its just too short, too small. But I give it a big thumbs up for creativity.
Starla B
Sep 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
I liked the stories...but they were far too short, and as such characters were superficial and story lines were a bit predictable. I would be interested to see what this author could do with book...if the characters would actually be fleshed out and given more detail, if the story would be a little more twisted.
Kimberly
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
The reviews stated that it was full of sarcastic humor but i didn't feel as if the stories were long enough to set that up. What i saw, instead, was a small glimpse of possibility. It is as though they left off everything in the story except the violence. I would be interested in a full lenghth story that is able to set up the characters and the story.
Tara Chevrestt
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-release, kindle
The first story was too short and undeveloped. The second story, a twisted version of Snow White is a pretty rad idea, and though I normally love short "get to the point" stories, I think this one needs to be longer. The idea can be developed further into maybe a novella. This Grim chick can really turn into something if developed further.
Samantha Warren
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quick, excellent read. It draws you in right from the start and keeps your attention. My only complaint is that it's too short! I want to know about the girls in the closet and where Veronica goes next! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for more from this author.
MsBDiamondDiva1
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
***Kindle Freebie*** Alot of the reviews are right, this was too short to get a real feel for the books. I feel like they should have been broken the teasers up into 2 novellas. O well, this book was just ok.
Angie
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I was just expecting a short story and that's what I got so I wasn't bothered by the length. It was a cute story due to the fairytale characters but overall it was only so-so. Would've made a good premise for an actual novel and maybe better if it was developed more.
Diana
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I really enjoy the character Veronica Grimm, a sort of fairy tale assassin. I also enjoy the concept of fairy tale characters in (nearly) real world settings. What kept this from being 4 stars was the extreme brevity of the short stories. I needed a little more meat on the bone.
Josie
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Freebie for kindle. It's urban fantasy meets fairy tale -- Veronica Grim is the Fairy Tale Assassin. Remains me of Kelly Armstrong. Looking forward to reading more of Veronica's adventures!
Emily
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not an actual story more like a compilation of excepts of stories. All seemed interesting, will keep this author in mind for the future.
Audra
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Despite these being short stories and teasers, I liked them. They were well written and to an extent inter-connected.
Julia Rose
Dec 05, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Not bad, just really short and the first part of the story is not really explained. Although it is a great concept, an assassin/bounty hunter dealing with the fairytale vilains and victims.
Issa
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: other-fiction
Kindle freebie, it was pretty short but a bit entertaining. It's a good pick for people who like having fairy tales that take on more adult themes.
Greymalkin
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
A fun spin on a fairytale world but the writing is pretty awkward. It is a collection of short stories that feel more like sketches or blurbs. Would enjoy an actual longer story.
PepperP0t
i can't go higher on a rating because the 2books here were way too short. I'm glad it was a freebie or I would have been annoyed.

In all fairness what was there was good.
Jason Cowley
rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2015
Cheryl Harper
rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2014
Alice
Jan 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
No Rest for the Wicked Free on Smashwords! 1 10 Jun 30, 2011 01:09AM

• Jailbreak (Hungry, #0.5)
  • Victoria Gardella: Vampire Slayer (The Gardella Vampire Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Horror, Humor, and Heroes
  • First Flight
  • Mind Café
  • Swashbuckling Fantasy
  • Just One Taste (The V V Inn, #0.5)
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • A Day in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #5)
  • Unicorn Bait (Unicorn Bait #1)
  • Night's Deep Hush (Reveler, #4)
  • Toxicity (Georgia Davis, #3)
  • Spalding's Scary Shorts
  • Scottish Ghost Stories
  • The Dragon of the Dolomites
  • The Gods of Dream
  • The Undead: Zombie Anthology
  • Chicago Lightning: The Collected Nathan Heller Short Stories (Nathan Heller Short Stories, #3)