Start by marking “Puppies For Dummies” as Want to Read:
Puppies For Dummies

Puppies For Dummies (For Dummies)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  409 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Features a new 8-page color section
The bestselling guide to making the most of puppy's first year
Bringing home a puppy? This fun, friendly guide to puppyhood prepares you for this tough but terrific time. From the basics -- housebreaking, feeding, training -- to the latest on doggie day care, traveling with a puppy, and the new designer breeds, you get everything you nee
ebook, Second Edition, 384 pages
Published March 3rd 2011 by For Dummies (first published June 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Puppies For Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puppies For Dummies

Kristin R
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Good book, covers all things puppy. Easy to read and understand. Hopefully in a few months it will prove to be successful!
Jen
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an invaluable resource/lifeline when my husband and I suddenly adopted our first puppy this summer at the age of 38. The little 12-week-old lab was taking over and we had no idea where to start! I really like that Hodgson focuses on positive reinforcement instead of negative training. There are lots of terrific pointers for newbies - housetraining alone was worth the price! (Look at the dog when it goes - they crave eye contact - and repeat the bathroom word you use.) Coupled with ...more
Kiri
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a quality work of reference! Covers tons of stuff, organized in a useful way. It has been a godsend over the last three weeks of puppy-care! Sometimes it helps to just know that other people have dealt with things like chewing and biting, and that there are techniques to deal. Good stuff.
Mary Beth
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is timely as we just got a puppy! Sarah is a good friend of mine and the best dog trainer ever!
Lynn
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
We bought this book because my wife Jane and I had just gotten our first puppy in 30 years (a Cair Terrier) and thought we could use a refresher course. I can't count the number of times I almost quit reading it. I kept at it because I try to always finish books and because for the first half about every 20 pages or so I'd find something helpful. The second half of the book offers a lot more useful information about having a new puppy, but the first half was marred for me by her approach to dog ...more
Jina
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puppies are like babies - there’s SO much advice out there on the best way to raise your dog and there’s really no scientific evidence for any of it. Anyways, this book was rather repetitive, but I could see why as many people probably use it as quick reference guide. Also, Sarah walks a thin line between “positive training” and “wolf pack” training. While she advertises her book as being “positive reinforcement” she mentions tugging/yanking your dog's leash as well as forcing your dog to do thi ...more
Amanda
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just got my first dog, and this book is so helpful. I am still reading this book as my puppy is still in training and we have a lot of work ahead of us.
Sara
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, manuali
AGGIORNAMENTO: il cagnetto è arrivato e da quando ha messo la zampa in casa, questo è il manuale che consulto OGNI GORNO. Ho scritto che è "metodologia asettica", ma funziona e soprattutto spiega settimana dopo settimana cosa aspettarsi e come reagire. Utile e tanto.

I volumi della serie “For Dummies” sono sempre precisi, dettagliatissimi e ripieni di utili informazioni. Anche stavolta si parte bene e dopo un’ottima introduzione su cosa voglia dire portarsi a casa un adorabile sacchetto di pulci,
Abby Lyn
This is a very thorough introduction to dog care by an obviously knowledgeable trainer who focuses less on the Dog Whisperer's style of loving dominance over the dog and more on general puppy-family bonding and positive reinforcement. There are a lot of great pointers in here, from how to select a puppy from the litter (less useful to our family, however, since we were relying on online videos posted by the breeder and couldn't perform some of the in-person submissiveness tests she recommends - ...more
Ms. Mulhern Gross
A reread as we train Navan.
Becky
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Myself being a first time puppy and dog owner I found it full of pleasant information about how to positively train my puppy. I've been using some of the suggestions like the "Looking for rain," and the treat cups for my 11 week old Pekingese. At the end of the book it had a chapter devoted to fun tricks you can teach your dog, or games to play with them. I wish I had known about this book before I got my puppy because I really like the puppy personality test that can be performed as early as 8 ...more
Caralee
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much of this information was nice and useful. However, they try to break down some of the different commands and give set amount of repetitions and days for your dog to learn the skill. It seemed like that was unproductive to me since dogs, like people, learn at different rates, so doing 5 repetitions for 3 days may be too little for some dogs and could lead to frustration on the part of the puppy and owner.
Newfiekidd92
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was helpful but there are so many other books I wish I would have read earlier, so I probably wouldn't recommend this one.

But this is suitable for those interested in positive dog training (basically I always thought of this as training your dog without hitting them: the attachment parenting for dogs).
I was also really happy she mentioned socialization.
Suzanne
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: others

Can say much about this can I?
I have 2 dogs, and I couldn't gone through it without the excellent help of this book.

Of course, read it if you have dogs xD otherwise will be pointless, unless you are a dog trainer or aiming to be one.

Great tips and great ways of helping us understand them!

Thank you.
Lindsay
Jul 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is currently the savior of my sanity. I love its gentle and loving approach, as opposed to "The Everything Puppy Book," which focuses more on how to show your puppy who is boss. Puppies for Dummies emphasizes the importance of bonding with your puppy, and making them feel comfortable and happy in their new home.
Theresa
Aug 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gets a 4 because one of Chase's favorite supervised games comes from this book: puppy soccer. Use empty plastic bottles with the labels removed. Everyone in the game gets a bottle. Start kicking your bottle around. When the dog becomes interested in your bottle, you let him have it and continue kicking another bottle. Chase loves it.
Tiffany Flowers
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book! I've already read a handful of articles on various topics, but it was great to have all of this information in one place. I will definitely be referring back to this over and over again.
Victoria
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got my first puppy a month ago and this book has been invaluable for help with him. Definitely a must-read for any first-time dog owners (or anyone who gets the first dog that is really theirs, after growing up with family dogs like I did).
Adrienne
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a dog of any age, not just puppies
This book tells you everything you need to pick a breed and then a particular puppy. Then, it gives very practical tools for training a dog of any age to have manners and do basic tricks: sit, down, stay, come, off, calm down, go to sleep, do your business. I used this book to train Zinfandog.
Hope
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a dog or thinking of getting a dog
Wow, there is a lot of information here. Never having brought up a puppy before it helped to understand so much in regards to relations with the dogs as well as training. This book is very thorough and sits close for quick reference.
Jaguar
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was informative and has a bunch of information on Puppies. If you are thinking about getting one, already have one, of just want to read for the information like me, read this book. The Pets Dummies books are pretty informative and helpful.

2014-Summer-Reading-Review
Kathy
Sep 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good tips on housebreaking and informative as to what to expect from your puppy.
Dorothy
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dorothy by: Emily
Some good tips, but what it's trying to do in comprehensiveness, it lacks in depth. Or something like that.
Amanda
Oct 01, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great tool for training and choosing our pups. The end of the book has a guide on how to choose the right pup for your family.
Peggy
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful guide; fun to read. Lots of info.
Kyarha
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
easy to read, great tips on how to introduce a puppy in hisnew home and on how to educate him.
Shelly
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first time through the book I picked up lots of interesting information and I liked it. However, when I run into a problem with my puppy, or wonder why she's doing something--zero help.
Kim
Sep 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-tos
Very helpful book and will be a resource for me even as my puppy grows up.
Deb Lonergan
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful and thorough. I appreciate the positive, gentle approach. Bring on the puppy!
Lindsay
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a new or existing puppy under 1 year!
Shelves: non-fiction
GREAT reference. Now I think I'm actually ready for my puppy!!
  • The Encyclopedia of the Dog
  • The Original Dog Bible: The Definitive New Source To All Things Dog (Original Dog Bible: The Definitive Source for All Things Dog)
  • Chihuahuas for Dummies
  • 97 Ways to Make a Dog Smile
  • My Smart Puppy: Fun, Effective, and Easy Puppy Training (Book & 60min DVD)
  • How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live with
  • Dogs for Dummies
  • Retired Racing Greyhounds For Dummies
  • Dog Training For Dummies
  • 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training (Howell reference books)
  • Art for Dummies
  • Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
  • Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men: Searching through Scotland for a Border Collie
  • Gray Dawn
  • The Intelligence of Dogs: A Guide to the Thoughts, Emotions, and Inner Lives of Our Canine Companions
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Science
  • It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 104 books)
  • Accounting for Dummies