Start by marking “Body of Water (The Orcadian Novels, #1)” as Want to Read:
Body of Water (The Orcadian Novels, #1)

Body of Water (The Orcadian Novels #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  114 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The #1 Kindle Gay Fiction Best Seller, Body of Water, is the first novel in the Orcadian Trilogy, and 1 of 10 books long-listed for the Polari First Book Prize for a first book which explores the LGBT experience:

“Fear the water.”

Leven has never forgotten his mother’s terrible warning. So how can he explain his strange attraction to water, his powerful sensitivity to it, hi
Published August 13th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Body of Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body of Water

Mark
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I found this book quite interesting. It is not like the novels I normally read and I do not feel it is likely to change my reading habits but that is the joy of Goodreads. It is that indulging the opportunity to explore new writers and genres some of which become new addictions and others which engender the hand at the horizontal gently tipping to left and right whilst saying 'ehm?'.

Wakefield's novel started as what I would guess is a typical churned out story of young gay man angst and fury co
Bruin Fisher
Jan 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Some reviews here have commented that the mix of fantasy and reality threw them. The book combines scottish mythical super-beings with the very prosaic angst of a gay schoolboy lusting after his neighbour. Sorry, folks, but I didn't have a problem with that at all. Stuart Wakefield's first novel is original, exciting, romantic and adventurous and the characters, while not described for us in much detail, come alive and make their presence felt. Several of the minor characters seem to have more t ...more
Phil Ansell
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
I really enjoyed Body of Water. The first half, set in London, was a great way to get to know the character of Leven and understand how he was the way he was. The second part set in the Orkney islands was fantastic. The atmosphere that Stuart Wakefield created with his writing was vivid and striking, I could feel the isolation and coldness of the place within me. I particularly loved the Scottish legends that were an integral part of the story, it's not everyday that you get to read about selkie ...more
Ayanna
Dec 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is, by far, one of the most scatter-shot, confusing, patchwork stories I have ever read. I almost feel like each chapter - sometimes not even that - was written by a different author. A bunch of shit happens, but it's all thrown together kind of at random and awkwardly cobbled together by virtue of proximity.
Either that or it was a NaNoWriMo story, which is probably the only way to explain why the author keeps going even when it seems like xe has absolutely no idea where xe is going either.
Pia Veleno
Part of the blurb reads: "Thrown together with the handsome but volatile Dom, a series of strange and terrifying encounters lead Leven to the reason the rule existed."

We don't meet Dom until the halfway point, so huge spoiler when Lev is hooking up with Shaun in the first half of the book. Oh, and at the 50% point, nothing terrifying has occurred unless you count having to read dialogue out loud to figure out "accents".

The prologue caught my attention, but as is the bane of prologues, the story
Emily G
Oct 30, 2011 rated it really liked it

Good premise, as I do love tales involving Celtic myths, however, as much as I liked the characters, the story didn't entirely hang together for me. And I really wanted to love it after all the rave reviews I've read!

There were a number of instances in the book that threw me out of the story while I pondered what had happened. Two that spring to mind are: Shaun giving a blow job but not swallowing but then talking. So what happened to it? Then there was a scene where Dom pulls Leven out
Martin
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gay
What a disappointment. I think the main issue with this story is that it seems to be a badly-worded first draft. It feels disjointed. Few of the characters' emotions are plausible. The descriptions of people and events are inadequate which makes it unsatisfying and, at times, frustrating. There seem to be quite a few novels in this series. Are they all churned out without much thought? I won't be reading more to find out.
Kate Tenbeth
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Take one angry young man who is trying to understand who and what he is and combine it with the dark, mystical legends of the Orkney islands. Yes, it is an unusual combination but it's one that works brilliantly due to the strength of the characters and the author's excellent story telling ability. The book is fast paced and absorbing. The story contains anger, violence, love, friendship, despair and hope - and I'm genuinely looking forward to the next in the series!
Tamarrion Lash
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Хорошая задумка, но очень плохое исполнение. Повествование рассыпается на куски, такое впечатление, что автора взял и выпустил под одной обложкой два несвязанных между собой рассказа про одного и того же героя.
Была бы интересная история, если бы первой части не было вообще, а во второй убраны промахи с логикой и выправлен язык.
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very intriguing story. My first Selkie story and I enjoyed it ;)
Jenre
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I met Stuart whilst we were at the UK meet and had a nice chat with him about the perils or positives of self-publishing.  Body of Water is (I think) his first self-published novel and I was keen to read.

The story is set partly in London and partly in Orkney. The first part, set in London, follows our hero Leven through his late teens. He's had a troubled childhood passed from foster home to foster home when his anger issues meant that he was difficult to reach. He finally finds love and accepta
Mara Ismine
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A lot was packed into a fairly short novel without it seeming rushed or too 'busy'. It is a well written blend of contemporary and dark paranormal themes spread between London and Orkney.

The main character Leven grows up in London, finding a foster home where he is accepted and understood after several years of mismatches and childrens' homes. He isn't always a very nice person at first as he acts up with his foster parents in a very understandable attempt to push them away before they decide to
Lisa ~ Books Are My Drugs ~
Genre M/M Paranormal

MC1 Leven
MC2 Dom

Storyline
Leven grew up being told to stay away from water, but not why. When he's a teen he meets Shaun & quickly falls in love with him; but when he & Shaun are caught trysting by Shaun's father, Leven is kicked out of Shaun's home & he's no longer allowed to visit him or Shaun's sister. Then his adoptive mother dies & Leven gets a letter from the man he believes is his bio dad asking him to travel to Scotland to visit. This is where he meets
Emily
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book which never falters. Brought it purely based on the reviews, small description and the cover! Read the first few pages on here and thought what the hell.. its cheap.

I'm not going to give a review on what happens..you can read the other reviews or just buy the book. All I'm going to say is this :
I'm addicted to this book and am so happy to know there's going to be another one. I could probably read this book every week for the rest of my life and still get shocked/angry/
David Menon
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
i knew this was going to be special but I didn't quite expect it to be as different as it is. I was enthralled from beginning to end. What starts out as a young man's coming out story in dificult circumstanes ends up in mystical landscapes and timeless legends in the seas off the Orkney islands. Stuart had created a JK Rowling type of character who accepts his destiny despite not understanding initially what his life is all about. The book also illustrates how a book that features the love affai ...more
Elin
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Stuart Wakefield's debut novel is a stonking good read on several levels. The tangled emotions of the adolescent hero are drawn very well and I love that Stuart has allowed secondary characters to grow and develop as well, rather than just be the back drop against which the hero can shine.

Leven, the hero, has a rough time throughout most of the story. Initially, it's very much a contemporary tale with something a little uncanny working away behind it. Later, when the scene moves to Orkney, the p
Benjamin
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gay-fantasy
I'm rather unsure about this novel, It starts off well with an interesting foster-child's view of life and perceptive reasoning as to why he behaved as he did. But beyond that and overall it does not hold together well being an odd mix of teen romance which latter moves off to dark dealings involving sea creatures morphing into humans. I found it at times a little confusing to follow, and difficult to create consistent images of places and characters.
Mac Mathis
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet and strange

Though there were times I wasn't sure I wanted to continue to read, I kept having to come back. It's not the kind of book I normally read. The pacing is off-putting at times, and perhaps because it's not my usual genre, I wasn't always sure where the story was going. Lastly,the end seemn both rushed and incomplete. I still don't understand the Shaun thing. But all in all I enjoyed it and recommend it.
Jane A
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I haven't read any stories like this as a m/m romance. I thought that was what made it so cool. At some points I was getting annoyed by Leven because his prejudice self wouldn't give Dom a chance. But then I just shrugged it off because it wasn't so bad and the mystery of the Island kept me from thinking much about the characters. It was a great read and I really hope I can find more stories like this.
Josephine Myles
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*

Captivating - this was a really breathless read I found hard to put down. I'll admit, I was occasionally confused about how much time was passing and what exactly was going on, but the energy carried me on regardless.

Stuart Wakefield has a great way with words and has created a compelling fantasy world here. Recommended to anyone with an interest in fantasy adventures, and who likes them dark and Scottish!
Snowtulip
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, urban-fant
3.5

What I love about challenges is picking up books that were never on your radar...like this enjoyable book. The story interweaves urban setting and Scottish mythology to create a unique and interesting story. Sometimes there is a lot happening and some disjointed moments in the story, but that pales in comparison to the overall. This was a unique read for me and I enjoyed it. The last part of the book was full throttle and I loved Leven and Dom. Anxiously await book two.
James Clark
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sadly compelling a love story that takes you from the heartache of a teen romance into the strange world of magic, Scottish kelpies and sea creatures. Spanning the pain of loss, the misery of heartache and the feeling of loss. This story is captivating enough to over look certain more graphic elements.

Nicole Lungeanu
I really don't know what to say about this book. It started very good and all the riddles and questions really kept me going on, but everything ended too soon and too quick and left me with more questions than answers. While many parts were great others were confusing. I don't know if I'll read the second book.
Terry
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This story is based around Orkney myths and legends and was ingenious in its combining real life and fantasy. I would have given it 5 stars but for the difficulty of reading quasi-scottish text as in the novel 'Trainspotting'.
Definitely a must read for fans of M/M Fantasy novels.
Jon O
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
The beginning was slow. After I was done with the book, I realized that the second part of the book would have been done just nicely even without the first few chapters, guess the first few chapters spoilt it for me because I was not expecting the book to become more indulging in the fairy tale.
Eric Arvin
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
A dark mythic love story told with some powerful imagery and a real sense of place. Quite wonderful!
Mandy
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pcs
Love!
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Species-Merman
Yvonne
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I got lost a number of times & struggled with this one when we got to the Scottish folklore type stuff at the midway point. It did pull together for a decent enough ending.
Shaz
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, paranormal
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Tourist
  • Wild Passions
  • Bound for the Forest (The Greenwood, #1)
  • The Seventh Veil (Etsey Novels, #1)
  • A Blast from the Past (Lars and Rael, #2)
  • Breaking Faith (Breaking Faith, #1)
  • Guardian (Aisling, #1)
  • Hue, Tint and Shade (Petit Morts, #1)
  • Tainted Blood (Tainted, #1)
  • The Back Stairs (Sundown, #1)
  • The Cross of Sins (Fathom's Five, #1)
  • Rearranging Stars
  • Critic's Choice (Petit Morts, #9)
  • The Secret of Talmor Manor
  • Tea and Crumpet
  • Art of Death (Death #1)
  • The Red Thread of Forever Love
  • Angels of the Deep
Stuart wants to live in a world where toys are free, washing machines never break down, and everybody gets a happy ending.

As an author, he's written Kindle best-sellers, been nominated for the Polari First Book Prize and People’s Book Prize, and experienced the all-consuming fear of reading his work at London’s Southbank Centre.

He holds a Masters Degree in Professional Writing from Falmouth Univer
More about Stuart Wakefield

The Orcadian Novels (2 books)
  • Memory of Water (The Orcadian Novels, #2)
“A water birth was all she could think about apart from getting away from her husband, Mackay, the knight in shining armour who had proved to be a metal-plated misogynist.” 1 likes