Start by marking “Masquerade” as Want to Read:
Masquerade

Masquerade

Somewhere in Britain Jack Hare lost the Moon's gift to the sun. Solve the riddles, unravel the puzzles, and see if you can figure out where. ...more
Published January 13th 1987 by Schocken (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Masquerade, please sign up.
WhiteHeather This is an old question, but hopefully you still find my answer helpful!

The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base is a …more
This is an old question, but hopefully you still find my answer helpful!

The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base is a gorgeous picture book with lots of challenging puzzles to figure out the mystery of who ate the birthday feast. I spent a ton of time with my mom as a kid figuring out the puzzles in the book! The puzzles were challenging for both of us. There are solutions in a sealed section at the end if you do get stumped.(less)

Start your review of Masquerade
Melissa Cuevas
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Certain books are just shot through with nostalgia, to the point where all you have to do is open them, and you're transported back to childhood. Masquerade is one of those books for me, I had the great luck to have been living on an RAF base in the UK when this came out, and my elementary school class fell immediately to solving it.

Obviously we were quite unsuccessful, but it was the first time that I'd ever felt any level of camaraderie when it came to my classmates actually reading with me.
Sammy
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: puzzles
A fascinating little mystery. At the time of this book's publication, the entire world devoured it in hopes of uncovering the buried treasure - it took a few years and led to much controversy, as explained in Bamber Gascoigne's follow-up book Quest for the Golden Hare. (Although Wikipedia can elaborate on the much greater controversy that developed years later).

I'd suggest buying either Gascoigne's book, or the "Answers" edition of 'Masquerade', since otherwise you'll never figure out the answer
Mir
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
I'm really not sure how much sense this made, but the paintings were fascinating. ...more
Eyehavenofilter
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully designed puzzle on each page.jampacked with images that are incredibly mind boggling. Every time I looked at these pages I found a hidden jem, a secret within. It was such a pleasure to see something new. This was not the only book that Williams has created, thank goodness, but it was a real breakthrough in this type of artwork. It was so masterfully done, and vivid in its execution.
Many others have followed, but this is the first in this genre, to be accepted as puzzle artwork wi
Mrs.Lady
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Seems like a million years ago that I bought this book when it first came out back in 1979. It was a very big deal and sold like hotcakes. The clues to the riddle are hidden in the gorgeous illustrations. I never figured it out. Somebody finally did and won some sort of fabulous prize. I will have to do a search to see if this book had any follow ups. I sure hope I still have it with all my old belongings. It's a real keeper. ...more
Gala
Jun 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
the writing is entirely opaque, but i still give it five stars because the illustrations are so top-notch and the element of buried treasure (the book holds clues to a hidden jeweled hare that was found a year after the book was published) is fantastically engaging.
Jeffrey
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Like many another person I looked at this picture book and tried to find the clues to solving the mystery, but it was way too complex and obscure for me.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books
I had to read it in a bookstore. I don't even remember what the puzzle was, but I do still recall the excitement of a treasure hunt. ...more
H
Jul 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dropped
Marsha
This puzzle of a book poses a many-layered tale. On the surface, it’s a simple story of a bumbling rabbit that’s supposed to give a present to the sun. But the sumptuous pictures and accompanying sentences are meant to provide clues to a lost treasure. Riddles abound (most easily enough solved) but the main mystery remains inexplicable. The pictures seem allegorical in nature but the human faces are often so detailed, they seem like portraits of real people.

Wherever this lost jewel is, the myste
Andrew
"Somewhere in Britain Jack Hare lost the Moon's gift to the sun. Solve the riddles, unravel the puzzles, and see if you can figure out where."

The book is very....to put it mildly, STRANGE. I'm so glad I got the companion book that actually answers the questions of the puzzle, hidden in the beautiful illustrations and calligraphy throughout. The language is poetic. However, the distraction of both the story and its companion guide to solve the riddles and puzzles of the Lady of the Moon's lost gi
Deb
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Best seller in the year of my birth! Fun read. Would be fun to read again and try to solve all the riddles and clues.

Also, I want to watch the documentary about this. It was a huge thing in the 80s and the scandal over the person who first found it and their cheating. Hmm. Also, it sold after at Sotheby’s for £31k!! Very interesting story.
Elizabeth
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I think someone gave this to me for a Highschool Graduation in 1981. I think maybe it had to do with finding a treasure. I could never figure this book out so I gave it away and then found it again. Now back in my library but looking at it today and re-reading it...I still don't get it. Oh well. ...more
Roberta
Jul 31, 2021 rated it it was ok
I found this book in my attic when I was cleaning out to donate items for a Flea Market. I don't remember buying it. I must have gotten it as a gift, although there was no inscription. I'm not a fan of riddles, so I found it pretty weird. The illustrations were interesting. ...more
Sylvia
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous. Enthralling.
Capnniknak
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated, we found this in a charity shop and felt very lucky to have found a copy of a book from childhood
Marlene
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book as a child - a beautiful, frustrating treasure map.
Karen Engel
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 🌟 for the amazing illustrations. When I studied the pictures carefully, I always found more and more things to look at.
Felicity
Jun 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
I can't wait to get my hands on another book written by Kit Williams. ...more
FANNY
Jun 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
The action moves very fast.
Fallon
Jul 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is fast moving and loved how technology is used in this thriller series.
Militello
Jul 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Some reviews have said that this book would appeal to fans of fictions. I would agree.
Bolick
Jul 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
The characters were complex with understandable motivations, and had their own flaws, making them human.
Gabrielle
Jul 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I am not usually a fan of art but really enjoyed this book.
Tracy
Beautifully illustrated, the riddle-filled tale follows Jack the hare on a mission to deliver a precious jewel to the Sun. The jewel was entrusted to Jack from the Moon, who has fallen in love with the Sun but can never meet him because they are never in the sky at the same time. Jack meets many people on the way who all spin him different riddles, and somewhere along the way loses the jewel. The author entrusts the reader to figure out the riddle and locate the jewel ... and if the person reall ...more
Belinda
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never in a million years would I ever solve this puzzle, and yet, even reading the solution I still wouldn't have had the patience to nut it out! Regardless of the mystery woven into the beautiful illustrations, the story Kit Williams has created of the love story between the sun and the moon is just sublime! I think the more you read this the more you will get out of it. With every reading will come a new clue or "a-ha!" moment. I cannot wait to read this to my girls, just for the beauty of the ...more
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this in a bunch of boxes of books in the garage which we've been accumulating for years. It looks like a kids book at first and then you get into the mystery of finding the fabulous doodad that the author made and buried. Unfortunately the attraction of that is 30-plus years too late.

The story of the romance between the sun and the moon is nice, and the mystery is understandably difficult to figure out, because of the prize involved, but my goodness! I like mysteries and puzzles but it w
Samantha
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
this was quite the phenomenon in the 80s. this very eccentric english guy smithed a golden piece and buried it somewhere in england, then made this book - the art is beautiful - which is surreal and doesn't really make sense and is full of code, etc. as a clue to where. my mother was pretty into it. we didn't get anywhere, but I spent a lot of time with the book. I think the jewel eventually got found by someone, but they didn't really figure out all the clues, just enough to get lucky. ...more
Melinda Trotter
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic illustrations that were super detailed. The book is mostly for adults but children can also appreciate the story. The author is also the illustrator and he created a very expensive jewel which he hid back in 1979. The book gave the clues (which were very difficult) to the location and the jewel was found not too long after the book came out.
Jaina Bee
May 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: untanglers of riddles
Recommended to Jaina Bee by: thanks, mom
When I was a kid, people around the world were driving themselves mad trying to crack the code hidden in the words and pictures in this book, in order to find the buried treasure. Totally changed my life.

• The Art of Faery
  • An Object of Beauty
  • Griffin and Sabine (Griffin & Sabine #1)
  • The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1)
  • Good Faeries Bad Faeries
  • PostSecret: Extraordinary Confessions from Ordinary Lives (PostSecret)
  • Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas: The Film, the Art, the Vision
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • Ways of Seeing
  • The Story of Art
  • Faeries
  • Amphigorey (Amphigorey, #1)
  • Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature