Start by marking “Draconian Measures (Gaven, #3)” as Want to Read:
Draconian Measures (Gaven, #3)

Draconian Measures (Gaven #3)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,147 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
The immortal Finnarians mate for life and once they find their mate, nothing on earth can make them leave them. But what about when that mate is not Finnarian at all, but a stubborn, fiery, extremely irritable Draconian? What if that Draconian wants nothing at all to do with his Finnarian mate? It seems the Finnarian prince, Sadan, is going to have his work cut out for him ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Loose ID

To ask other readers questions about Draconian Measures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Draconian Measures

Julio Genao
Oct 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Julio by: MostlyDelores
One Talon, Two Talons, Three Talons—Cock.

I should have known.

The title is a pun that only makes sense to certain human beings on Earth, not the world this story is set in.

But the premise! Surely....?

A dragon and a vampire walk into a bar...

...I mean, doesn't that sound novel? Doesn't that sound refreshing?

Well, it was. For a minute.

And then it was the MM-Standard™ foolishness.

Like fucking with river water as lube. Like elaborate displays of antipathy despite mutual attraction.

Like dragon-flounci
Simsala
A wonderful and totally captivating love story!
The best book by J.C. Owens that I`ve read so far.I fell hopelessly in love
with the Finnarian prince Sadan and his stubborn,grumpy,fierce - and incredibly cute - Draconian mate Graitaan.
Draconian Measures is the sequel AND a prequel to Gaven 1+2 and should not be read as a standalone.Most of the worldbuilding,description of the Finnarian culture and introducing of the Mc`s takes place in Gaven 1+2! Btw...Vlar as kid is adorable.
HIGHLY recommended!
Vivian
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-pn
To the pursuit of happiness.

Alone, the last of an imperial gift Graitaan serves a human king. The years of military service bereft of his peers has isolated him. With none of his kind left all he has is a promise made.

Sadan is arrogant and overbearing and when this Draconian warrior is assigned to his unit he finds great pleasure in tormenting. Taking advantage of his superior position he pushes, a gambit.

Totally bought into the concept of vastly different species finding commonality in sexual
Diane
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, m-m-romance
It’s your classic bodice ripper romance with a prince vigorously perusing his love… but in this case his love is a six foot tall humanoid dragon warrior complete with wings and a tail. There is a lot of humor, emotion and hot interspecies sex. Recommended.
Lilia Ford
J. C. Owens’ books are on a short list of automatic-buys for me --I have loved almost everything I’ve read by her, but I probably enjoyed Draconian Measures the best. The juxtaposition of the two first-person perspectives is unusually clever and well done. On one page, poor Graitaan is fuming about the obnoxiousness of Finnarians in general and his commander in particular. On the next, we hear Sadan’s musings on how adorable his “little Draconian’s” temper is. The back and forth between them is ...more
Feliz
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons, m-m, fantasy
*sigh*
Graitaan - I wasn't sure I could like a lizard as a romantic hero, but here I am. Such a beautiful, tortured soul...almost counteracted by his prick Finnarian mate. Hadn't it been for Sadan's deep grieving in the end, I'd have surely detested him. What is he, Graitaan's lord and master? A stalker? No wonder the Finnarian women prefer the company of their own gender if they'd have to deal with such ruthless macho men otherwise...

First read 9-15-2011

ETA Reread it and still felt the same abou
Jenre
Jun 06, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is the prequel to the two other books in this fantasy series: Gaven and Gaven 2: The Bonding. However, whereas the first two books were very series in tone and dealt with themes such as slavery and dubious consent, the tone of this book is entirely different. Instead of angst and emotional turmoil, this book is very lighthearted in tone and deals in an almost comic fashion with the relationship between Sadan, the father of the hero of the previous book, and the grumpy Graitaan.

We first
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

I'll tell you right away that the little something I didn't like in this book was that Graitaan, the Draconian, sometimes reminded me too much of a feisty heroine than a fierce and fearsome hero.

I really like the world building and in this book I think it's even richer than in the previous books. The story is a prequel for the other two books in the series. Graitaan, the last survivor of the Draconian company, and Sadan, the commander of the Finnarian army, have been fighting together
Sammy Goode
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy a novel that boasts a well-written changing point of view?? I do—very much so but the key is that it must flow seamlessly. As if you are standing in front of the characters and possess the extraordinary talent of being able to read their minds at the exact moment their thoughts enter their mind. Changing point of view is tricky and rarely done well. Often one or the other character seems fresher, more relatable, more fully fleshed out. You CAN learn so much ...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Loved this book. It was much different from the previous books in the Gaven series but I felt since this one focused on two new characters it fit and felt exactly right. As opposed to the previous two books, this one is light, funny and an easy read.

Sadan is an amusing character with his easy going attitude and his desire to conquer Graitaan. Graitaan is a more subdued character who hasn't had the best childhood growing up. He's lonely, a bit broken inside and can't admit the feelings he has fo
KimberlyRose
I can't rate this book with the star system: my responses were just too polarized!

On the one hand, it was an intense page-turner, full of emotional, lively characters. And the sex scenes were a fascinating and arousing combination of emotions and thoughts. The descriptions of the world and of the creative characters were wonderful!

But!

On the other hand, it was horrible how all Sadan ever really did to the Draconian was constantly rape him of his will and dignity. He talked down to him while mi
Kevin Orth
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Draconian Measures is a pretty substantial departure from the previous two Gaven books. It is equally, if not more so, engaging. I just love the characters J.C. draws - they have just the right amount of detail to get the reader invested and interested in their activities without droning on too long or being overly wordy.

I love how her Graitaan, the 'submissive' character in this novel, resists, rails against, fights, argues, and resists giving in. Ultimately releasing his inhibitions, concerns,
Adara
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think I enjoyed this one the most because of the switching points of view, and because watching Graitaan fight the attraction was more fun than watching Gaven fight his to Vlar. And, watching a young Vlar and Graitaan interact was sweet too. And the last scene of the book was hilarious. It's reminiscent of the relationship I have with my husband (though I wouldn't have thrown the table).

4.5 stars, rounded down to 4 until I see if it has the re-readability that will up it to 5.
Alyosha
A rom-com by J.C Owens? Who would have thought.

+ Enjoyable, hot, funny and light read.

- Lacked grittiness, the "feeling" and tune were completely different from the previous books. Also the dialogue (and inner monologue) were slightly repetitive.

Loederkoningin
Maybe I'll take back what I said about Owens writing before.
Kassa
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Draconian Measures is the third book in the Gaven series (I assume the last too) but is actually a prequel to the other two books. It can be read easily as a stand alone or in any combination with the two Gavin books. It tells the story of Vlar’s parents –really Vlar’s father and his partner- and their oft mentioned difficult courtship. It’s a cute book with a lot of humor but ultimately the book feels too introspective and repetitive to totally satisfy. It’s a nice easy read though and a welcom ...more
Dee Wy
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - I decided to start this series with this prequel, and I'm very glad I did. The fantasy world created here was simply amazing to me. Easy to understand and so interesting without overwhelming political detail or too many characters to keep straight. That seems to be tough to find in this kind of story, so, bonus points to the author.

Graitaan is a Draconian (dragon with scales, tail and wings) and has become quite grumpy in his solitary lifestyle now that all his Draconian mates have p
Lee
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Draconian Measures is hands-down the best book in the Gaven series. It's a love story between a Finnarian and a Draconian, and if you are asking yourself what the hell is a Finnarian and a Draconian then this is not the book for you. You should start reading the series with book one, Gaven, then read book two, The Bonding. After reading those books you will know what a Finnarian is, and what a Draconian is.

Draconian Measures is a prequel to the first two books and while its two MC are semi-inde

Bookbee
4.5 Stars

Never, in my wildest dreams, would I have envisioned loving a character sporting scales, wings and a tail...and not a shifter! But that is Graitaan, a Draconian warrior, the last of his kind, on a world far from home. We get a glimpse of Graitaan's early life which makes him a sympathetic character right away. We also get to see him through the eyes of Saddan, his Finnarian commander, his stalker and all around thorn-in-side! I loved Saddan's single-minded pursuit of Graitaan, his absol
Alex
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shifters, mm
Graitaan threw a pillow at me, followed by the glass on the small table by the bed, followed by the table. I caught them deftly and placed them carefully back just inside the door, turning to wait for more projectiles. My fiery little mate kept me on my toes, always trying to get my attention. If he only knew he already had it. He did not need to resort to such dramatic gestures.

Cute.

Poor Graitaan. I liked Sadan's attitude toward Graitaan - this "you little baby mine" attitude that pissed Grait
Shawn
I was so bored with this. The bickering can only go on so long. I liked Graitaan. But the whole "I'm like a real dragon person" was a bit too weird for me. Wings are cool. Scales are cool. Dragon heads? Hmmm icky kinda. I dunno. And Sadan calling him little one pissed me off. Ughy. I dunno the writing and the world is solid, but just not my cup of tea at all.
Tamela
I loved Sadan's wooing of Graitaan. I often found it humorous and always found it interesting and sexy. I was so happy that Graitaan found the cure for his loneliness... his own personal Prince Charming. Okay so maybe that's not exactly what Graitaan calls Sadan :)

Highly recommended and posted to my-6-star-favs shelf.
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
This book was a good as the last two books of the series but even for me it was hard to comprehend sex between Dragon and Vampire...okay I am twisted but this much nah no way but the banter between two MC was good.A must read if u can take it.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this. It is my favourite in the Gaven series. Enjoyable and funny too. I loved the snarky Draconian and i like the way this story gave us a glimpse of Vlar as a child. Thoroughly engaging.
Letti
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved Sadan and Graitaan's story those Freakin Finnarians are a trip... I Loved everything abt this book so going to read it again... It was funny and enchanting BRAVO J.C. Owens on your creative mind and world building I have become a fan
Deja Black
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Whyever did I wait so long to read this book? It was perfect! I laughed, I smiled, I sighed. Still fierce and wildly passionate are the characters. I shivered! Fantastic JC Owens! You never disappoint!
Seregil
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
In my opinon this was a bit longer and more entertaining than Gaven #1 and #2.
To reflect that I'm giving it 4 stars (though it's more of a 3.75 for me).
S.
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
cute easy read
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
Cute, sexy and light read!

Recommended to all those to enjoy this genre, and the previous books.
Maya
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
  • Dark Heart (Tales of Amaranth, #1)
  • By Chance Met (Chronicles of Ylandre, #3)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords #2)
  • Balancing Karma
  • Concubine
  • Spoils of War (Spoils of War, #1)
  • 'Til Kingdom Come
  • The Vanguard
  • Details of the Hunt (Details, #1)
  • Out of the Woods (Tarin's World, #1)
  • Bloodraven (Bloodraven #1)
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • An Uncommon Whore (An Uncommon Whore #1)
  • Snowflakes and Embers
  • Unforgiven (Fae, #3)
  • Soldier Mine (Thresl Chronicles, #1)
  • The Bastard Prince (Kria, #3)
  • Claimings, Tails, and Other Alien Artifacts (Claimings, #1)
Also known as J.C. McGuire.

J.C Owens lives in small town, rural Alberta and is a self confessed writing-a-holic. In the absence of help for this affliction…

I do indeed love to write and have over twenty books sitting idle in my computer, waiting… I love the genre of male/male stories and conflict in what a person thinks they want, versus what they truly need to become themselves. I think any writi
More about J.C. Owens

Gaven (4 books)
  • Gaven (Gaven, #1)
  • The Bonding (Gaven, #2)
  • Parting Truths (Gaven, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99