Start by marking “Chiva: A Village Takes on the Global Heroin Trade” as Want to Read:
Chiva: A Village Takes on the Global Heroin Trade

Chiva: A Village Takes on the Global Heroin Trade

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Its use as a narcotic is on a precipitous rise. Worldwide heroin production has doubled in the last decade, and the United Nations estimates more than 15 million users are addicted—up to 3 million in the United States. It’s big business, too, with yearly global sales of $500 billion—up to $22 billion in the U.S. Enmeshed with terrorism, crime, government collaboration, cor ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Chiva, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chiva

Scott
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
One of those small gems of a book, with a sweeping vision for story and plot. Glendinning takes the local travails of a village (and a love affair with a junky) and ties it to the worldwide big business of dope (8 % of the global economy). Chiva is one of the street names for heroin, a Latino slang word, and is used particularly appropriately here, since the book surrounds and embraces Hispaño culture and the village of Chimayo, New Mexico.

Chellis is weakest when she gets into rants about the lo
Jess
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Was asked to review this book for a prize:

Glendilling's passion for her subject is patently clear throughout the whole book. She tackles the so-called “war against drugs” as it plays out in her own small New Mexico town in an emotional, personal, and oftentimes poetic treatment of an issue which is usually seen only from a distance. Overall, her writing style is very clear with a pleasing balance of personal anecdotes, philosophy and external data and perspective.

Weaknesses:

The first thing that
Rebecca Garcia
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
(c says 3.5 stars)

my first encounter with Chellis was her book My name is Chellis and I'm in Recovery from Western Civilization. I read it in 2006 when I too was in a similar fragile state of recovery. it was a life altering read for me.

this book, chiva, took c and me back to Espanola and the area in NM I have especially come to love. as the overall description explains- you will get to know the small village of Chimayo, what it is like living in the number one state, the number one county for d
Trent Rock
Dec 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I drive through Espanola a few times a year.....I remember hearing about how it was the heroin OD capital of the US...Always wanted to know what the real story was..so I bought the book...It is about 50% Chimayo and it's heroin problem and 50% of the GLOBAL heroin trade...With conspiracies, CIA, rebels, etc. thrown in..The organization is kinda weird...The writing style is kinda weird as well...but, she is a good a good writer.....I really liked the part about Chimayo, the march, The Great Bust ...more
Stace ginsburg
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
an incredible take on the global heroin trade and the way in which a village 30 miles from me, fought it. a sober perspective on the relationship between people of the land and the governments seedy and unseen ability to grow addicts and subsequently dehumanize them as well as split their connection from the earth.

also potent confirmation of the power of community, prayer and ritual to fight a global war on anything.
Rick
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This tells the small-scale story of real people in a very small town struggling with addiction and the business of addiction. The magical front that this town presents to visitors isn't a part of the book at all. Grueling.
Sep 09, 2013