Start by marking “Arizona Guy” as Want to Read:
Arizona Guy

Arizona Guy

Ted White, a high school band director from California, comes to Ajo, Arizona to house-sit for his aunt and uncle, hoping to get some space from a failed relationship.

But something isn’t right. Ted’s relatives, not scheduled to leave until he arrived, are gone. They left no note, no key, they don’t answer their phones. And no one in this small town seems to know where they
Published April 15th 2011 by WiDo Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Arizona Guy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arizona Guy

Joe Boudreault
Arizona Guy is set in southern Arizona (of course) and it reads more like a slight travelogue than anything else. This is okay for some people but not quite my cup of tea. I found the country here scorching hot when I visited the Tucson area, and I was not enamored of it. Spitzer seems to be delving into some autobiography in this. The story itself is shallow, repetitive and uninspiring as detective tales go. Young man tries house-sitting for a missing uncle and aunt. Meets the locals, eventuall ...more
Karen
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a different kind of regional mystery-- one with a young guy as the protagonist rather than an elderly lady or a young hip woman-- and that added to my enjoyment of it. Ted White comes from California to house sit for his aunt and uncle in Ajo, Arizona. Problem is, they're missing, and no one in this small, close-knit border town seems to know where they are. As Ted traipses all over town, dealing with a very confused neighbor lady and an angry teen who seems to want him out of the way at ...more
Evelyn
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
Arizona Guy is a great book! Its a fast read and is so good that you just can't put it down. I found myself reading into the next chapter a few pages just to see what happened after the cliff hanger of the previous chapter. I found I wasn't getting anything else done, as I wanted to know what happened next in the small Arizona town of Ajo. Being an Arizona native, I found that I could relate to everything he put in his book. I am a retired Teacher and its great to find a mystery book that appeal ...more
Douglas Cook
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Thin plot line. Characters were not well developed.

First paragraph
I didn’t consider becoming an Arizona guy until I was called a California guy. I drove alone out of Greenwood City, California, in my dark blue Toyota pickup, leaving behind its green lawns, leaves, and moss. I didn’t realize how sick of green I had become until I found it growing in the back of my closet. Give me anything but green!

Spitzer, Raymond (2011-05-04). Arizona Guy (A Ted White Mystery #1) (Kindle Locations 30-33). WiDo
David Bergsland
I downloaded the book as Christian fiction. It is a good story, good people, entertaining, but there is no spiritual content. There is quite a bit of religious information, Mormon. But, there is nothing about a person's relationship with God, and certainly nothing about Jesus or the Holy Spirit. Other than the spiritual disappointment, this was a quick fun read. Almost a Jesse Stone type of experience, but of the religious "nice guy" genre.

It is sad to see how diluted so-called Christian fiction
Ron
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good. I once lived in Southern Arizona and when I read this book, I could not put it down. It reminded me of my childhood years of growing up in the desert. The author really knows his Arizona and Ajo area geography and writes a mystery that kept me on edge. Why are the the relatives missing? Was it murder? The amount of detail and variety of characters is great. All the characters are easily kept track of too, so there is no confusion. What happens next? Raymond Spitzer, ple ...more
Charissa
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Ted White moves to Ajo, Arizona to watch his aunt and uncle's home for the summer. He arrives there to an empty house, a break-in, and mysterious happenings. Not knowing where his aunt and uncle are, and suspecting foul play, he enlists the police and the whole town to find his missing relatives...and in the process, finds friends and peace. The writing was fine, but the plot didn't suck me in like I wish it had.
Raymond Spitzer
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I may be biased since I wrote it, but Arizona Guy is top notch in my opinion. The editors helped me refine my vision and make this the first book of the Arizona Guy series. It has everything: mystery, music, Mormons, humor, and even some spirituality. But for those who don't want to be preached at, be assured that the editors made me take out all the preachy parts. It is short and sweet.
Nancy H
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent mystery. Having been a teacher, and having been at one time married to a band director, there were a lot of things that resonated with me in this story. I thought the writing was really good and the plot had just the right amount of twists and turns to make it a page-turned. I will definitely be reading any sequels that come along.
Sharon Michael
Nov 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting storyline, reasonably well developed characters, and although I found the eventual solution somewhat on the weak side, it did work and provided different twist.

I was particularly impressed by the very accurate 'feel' of the desert from a newcomer's point of view.
T.K.
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a quiet charm with its myriad of oddball characters. I was hoping for a little more excitement and peril, but it's still a pleasant read.
Angie
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jill
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Quick read - real page turner .
Tyrone
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Good book. My mom got my an autographed copy. I have good memories of Ajo as a kid.
Karen Chism
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to an exciting mystery, this didn't even come close for me. I gave it up when I was 50% invested.
Jera Gunther
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. I know the author and grew up in the town that makes the setting for this book. I don't read mysteries too much, but I enjoyed it.
Maggie
Sep 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting another Hillerman or Jance type novel but was disappointed. It was a free book....
Marilyn
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great

this book was so interesting that I had to read I to the night.the people were so real and the excitement kept going.
Linda Frost