Start by marking “Beloved” as Want to Read:
Beloved

Beloved (The Trilogy #1)

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  253,782 Ratings  ·  8,079 Reviews
Winner of the Pulitzer Prize, Toni Morrison’s Beloved is a spellbinding and dazzlingly innovative portrait of a woman haunted by the past.

Sethe was born a slave and escaped to Ohio, but eighteen years later she is still not free. She has borne the unthinkable and not gone mad, yet she is still held captive by memories of Sweet Home, the beautiful farm where so many hideous
Hardcover, Everyman's Library Classics, #268, 360 pages
Published October 17th 2006 by Everyman's Library (first published September 2nd 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Beloved, please sign up.

Trena Reed Toni Morrison has a unique way of using the language. My husband felt the same way about the book at first, but I encouraged him to continue reading…moreToni Morrison has a unique way of using the language. My husband felt the same way about the book at first, but I encouraged him to continue reading and by the end he understood and enjoyed it.

Some of the illusions she makes at the beginning of the book are foreshadowing--glimpses of future events. The book has a kind of rhythm that may feel unfamiliar, but if you stick with it, by the end, you may find an appreciation for her unique style.

Some books, and this may be one, are better the second time you read them when you know the full story and can appreciate the depth of meaning. I encourage you to continue reading, but in the end, it's okay to say this style/book is not for me.

Good luck.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tiombe Jones I think the author also evidences some discomfort with occupying the space in Sethe's mind when she commits this act. The description of this scene is…moreI think the author also evidences some discomfort with occupying the space in Sethe's mind when she commits this act. The description of this scene is not typical throughout the book. It is graphic and TM really attempts to inhabit it, but it lacks the unquestioned understanding evident in other scenes. When she speaks of atrocities done to Sethe, she can speak as Sethe. But when she speaks of atrocities done by Sethe, she just is not able to inhabit that space but instead places the storytelling with the actor who she does see as violent. In other words, Sethe is only violent as a reflection of the violence of slavery and whiteness; she cannot tell Sethe's violence independent of that narrative because she doesn't imagine it independent of that narrative.(less)

Jessica
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: makes a nice mother's day present
Recommended to Jessica by: "recommended" is putting it mildly
Beloved is the Great American Horror Novel. Sorry Stephen King: evil clowns and alcoholic would-be writers are pretty creepy, but they just got nothing on the terrifying specter of American slavery! I literally got chills -- physical chills -- over and over while reading this book. To me, great horror has the scary element (e.g., a ghost) and then, lurking behind it, something so vast and evil that trying to think about it can make you go insane. Beloved did that! It worked as horror! And then a ...more
Samadrita
"Beloved

You are my sister

You are my daughter

You are my face; you are me

I have found you again; you have come back to me

You are my beloved

You are mine

You are mine"

It's 6 o'clock in the morning and I have finished with one of the best books I have ever read in the course of my short life.
I am sleepless and I need a moment to organize my thoughts, sort out my feelings. Come back to real life. But I can't.

A part of me is still with Sethe and her daughters, Denver and Beloved at 124. A part of me
Mark Stone
Jul 31, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody.
I don't give books low marks lightly. If anything, I am prone to being carried away by the author's enthusaism and rate books more highly than they deserve. I am an aspiring author, myself, and that also leads me to be kind to the books.

That being said, I really hated this book.

I like fantasy and magical realism. I find the dreams and allegories that live just underneath the skin of the world we can more readily see and touch endlessly fascinating. I like my stories intense and emotional, and I
Glenn Sumi
Over the past 15 years, I’ve tried a couple of times to read Toni Morrison’s epic, Pulitzer Prize-winning novel about murder, guilt, ghosts and the brutal, complex physical and psychological legacy of slavery.

Something about the dense, poetic prose and the elliptical nature of the storytelling made it impenetrable. After a chapter or two, I’d give up, perplexed. And I’ve read William Faulkner and Virginia Woolf! This made Oprah’s Book Club?

I’m so glad I persevered.

About a third of the way in, I
Bookdragon Sean
Beloved is a novel about haunting; it is a novel about the human inability to move on from the past and how easily it can resurface. We may try to move on, but it never really leaves us. And when the past is painful and full of blood it literally echoes for an eternity.

“You know as well as I do that people who die bad don’t stay in the ground.”

Enter Beloved, daughter of Sethe, a girl killed by her mother many years previous to escape the shackles of slavery. Was it murder? Was it mercy? Was i
Lisa
Sometimes reality is too painful to address in plain, simple narrative.

Sometimes truth has to be approached in circling movements, slowly getting to the heart of the matter through shifting, loosely linked stories that touch on the wound ever so lightly, without getting too close too fast.

Sometimes I read to escape my reality, only to find myself in a universe endlessly more complicated, more painful, more difficult to understand and follow.

Sometimes basic statements like "I could never under
Harpal
Aug 25, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: school
This is probably my least favorite book I have ever read. I think I hate it even more because so many people like it so much. Unlike really trashy novels, people actually try to argue that this is a great book. But it definitely embodies all the things that make me hate books. It's heavy handed with its message, which ultimately ruins some pretty spectacular imagery. Its also just a giant pastiche of people who can actually write, which makes it just feel disjointed and annoying since it switche ...more
Fabian
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I last was online (according to this computer's calculations: thirteen days ago) & since then I have finished the monumental "Beloved."

The only way I can describe this sure classic is: "it's a mix between the most brilliant of Hawthorne (his Scarlet Letter bears plenty of similarities to Beloved since it too deals with a time of intense persecution in this country; the roles women played at such historical crossroads; the ghosts of the burdensome past making cameos
Dolors
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Broken hearts in search of mending
Rowena
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Working dough. Working, working dough. Nothing better than that to start the day's serious work of beating back the past."- Toni Morrison, Beloved

"Beloved" focuses on the psychological trauma of slavery which permeates the very atmosphere and even emerges in ghost form. It seems to be a good book to read in the light of the recent discussion on the Roots reboot, as well as the recent New York Times article which discusses how African-American DNA bears signs of slavery. I feel that for many thi
Play Book Tag: Beloved by Toni Morrison 2 stars 2 10 Dec 23, 2017 11:40AM
Around the Year i...: Beloved, by Toni Morrison 15 79 Dec 05, 2017 05:36PM
Reading 1001: Beloved by Toni Morrison 1 4 Nov 17, 2017 12:03PM
Play Book Tag: Beloved - Toni Morrison 5/5 8 17 Jul 24, 2017 06:39AM
Catching up on Cl...: Beloved - SPOILERS 21 76 May 04, 2017 07:52AM
  • Possessing the Secret of Joy
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Elbow Room
  • Rabbit Is Rich (Rabbit Angstrom, #3)
  • Lamb in His Bosom
  • The Collected Stories of Jean Stafford
  • The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love
  • The Store
  • Dragon's Teeth I (World's End)
  • The Collected Stories of Katherine Anne Porter
  • Play It as It Lays
  • Native Son
  • Years of Grace
  • The Fixer
Toni Morrison (born Chloe Anthony Wofford), is an American author, editor, and professor who won the 1993 Nobel Prize in Literature for being an author "who in novels characterized by visionary force and poetic import, gives life to an essential aspect of American reality."

Her novels are known for their epic themes, vivid dialogue, and richly detailed African American characters; among the best k
More about Toni Morrison...

The Trilogy (3 books)
  • Jazz
  • Paradise
“Freeing yourself was one thing, claiming ownership of that freed self was another.” 2371 likes
“Love is or it ain't. Thin love ain't love at all.” 1733 likes