Start by marking “Death to All Sacred Cows: How Successful Business People Put the Old Rules Out to Pasture” as Want to Read:

Three award-winning advertising executives prove that in business, Sacred Cows deserve to die. Don't get us wrong. While the authors have nothing against cows in general-they love steak-they do have a problem with Sacred Cows. Blindly doing things because...well...that's the way they've always been done. Formulas may be comforting, but they rarely work in the real world. F ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published March 15th 2008 by Tantor Audio (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Death to All Sacred Cows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death to All Sacred Cows

Start your review of Death to All Sacred Cows: How Successful Business People Put the Old Rules Out to Pasture
Sharon
I will say the fact that I read this is a loose term because I didn't read it. I couldn't. I read the first couple chapters all the way through and didn't like it. So then I skipped around reading snippets to see if maybe I was just stuck in the intro part before the book found its identity. But no, still no good. My major problems with this book include the constant joking and bizarre conversations in this book. I appreciate a sense of humor in a book, but this was so jokey that it made it hard ...more
Jes
More of a collection of stand-out anecdotes about breaking business convention than a book on theory, Death to All Sacred Cows reads much like a fun spiritual successor to Freakonomics. That isn't to say the book lacks practical application; the call to consider that rules are never absolute is a pragmatic one, and if nothing else it will likely serve as catharsis to anyone who has worked at a company for a time, with snarky little comments like "Overpaid consultants should have their own ring i ...more
Lisa
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winningly iconoclastic book about how not to suck in business by knowing when to break the rules. Nothing revolutionary here but an enjoyable read and I wish I worked in the same office as these guys. If you read Buckingham> you've got the idea. ...more
Igor Voloshin
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Читал эту кингу на русском языке. Издательство Манн Иванов и Фербер. Хорошая быстрая книга, которая просто может дать небольшую встряску тем, у кого бизне застоялся черезчур и надо что-то делать. А ещё хорошо для тех, кто любит сам себе придумывать правила, всегда им следовать и никогда не нарушать - это НЕПРАВИЛЬНО!
Unit of Raine
Nov 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I finished the book after 3 yrs. I think the concepts were interesting and the examples had merit, but the writing style was excruciating. I do not need a "humorous" aside, pun, or commentary in EVERY SINGLE sentence. The authors were exhausting to read; I can only shudder at what a dinner party must be like.
Paul
Jun 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shane Chesney
Certainly the most entertaining business book I ever read. Interestingly, the authors have my sense of humor about things. Is there anything earth shattering in here? Not really, but there wasn't anything I would label as "bull" either. And they didn't overdo it, meaning the book wasn't 300 pages when it could have been 30. Well done.
Brandon McKinniss
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great business book that takes a stance against so many business "norms" and brings a little common sense and logic to several major problems/situations that are common in the business world.
Maura
The book tried a little too hard to be comedic, but there were some good ideas. I listened to the audio version and the speaker did a good job of keeping the silliness in its place.
Carle
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My dad wrote it :-) Its awsome, inspiring and I'd highly recommend it!
Linda
Oct 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
While I agree with many of the points in the book, I think I was looking for something a bit more substantive. I'm not sure in what way. The writing was a little silly for me.
Marjorie Elwood
A quick, fun read, with a lot of common sense advice such as "don't put up with jerks in your organization", "the customer isn't always right". Not terribly revolutionary, but a good reminder.
Tim Chase
Mar 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a whole lot of new material, but presented in a witty way that made it far more digestable than the average business-productivity book
Dmitrii
May 31, 2019
Danielle
Feb 14, 2013
Jenna Copeland
rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2011

• Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and the New Science of Desire
  • Shadow Divers
  • New Hokkaido
  • Close to the Machine: Technophilia and Its Discontents
  • The Leader Who Had No Title: A Modern Fable on Real Success in Business and in Life
  • The Scholar (Cormac Reilly, #2)
  • Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success
  • Hitler's Cross: The Revealing Story of How the Cross of Christ was Used as a symbol of  the Nazi Agenda
  • The Man Who Loved Only Numbers: The Story of  Paul Erdős and the Search for Mathematical Truth
  • The Woman in Black
  • The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1)
  • The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway, #2)
  • Blackout (Dark Iceland #3)
  • Caught in the Web of Words: James Murray and the Oxford English Dictionary
  • The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything
  • The Friday Night Knitting Club (Friday Night Knitting Club, #1)
  • Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You