Start by marking “House of Mystery, Volume 7: Conception” as Want to Read:
House of Mystery, Volume 7: Conception

House of Mystery, Volume 7: Conception

(House of Mystery #7)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  381 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Fig learns why the Pair of Conception chased her into the House of Mystery.

Collecting: House of Mystery 31-35, Halloween Annual 2
Published January 3rd 2012 by Vertigo (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about House of Mystery, Volume 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Mystery, Volume 7

Bradley
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I want to like this weird series more, but it's either less weird than I want, less coherent in story, or it's just not digging into my psyche.

That's not to say it isn't pretty damn creative, because it is. But it seems to be strange without the coherency that I've grown to love in, say, Sandman, with deep themes that can be dug up with a bit of effort on the part of the reader.

Just having a main character that calls not only the superego and id into being just by believing it or having wars in
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
This was definitely an improvement over #6. We got to see a lot of Fig's backstory and history, and I loved watching Cain following her around and commenting on said history.

I'll be interested to see how things go. The various characters are, seemingly, going their separate ways, and we're left with the words "things are about to get weird" - which is promising/terrifying for a series which has been weird and jumbled from the beginning.

And, speaking of weird, wtf was up with the Conception twin
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
A lot of stuff getting explored in this one or just in the past volumes. Got to say that I'm liking it. This one however it seems it was all over the place, one too many characters. But I did like the one page recap of explaining who the main characters we know or are to look out for are. So thank you for that. And well, different stories going on, and I did like the back story concerning Fig and of course Cain being his usual self and his commentary. Need that balance you know? Looks like one m ...more
Alex Sarll
At this point I've almost entirely lost the thread of the overarching plot, but there are some lovely lines along the way ("Remember, books are not food. Sometimes customers try to eat them because they look like sandwiches"), and the short stories within the story include extra slices of Hellblazer, Lucifer and iZombie by the appropriate creative teams. Have I mentioned before how I miss proper John Constantine? I have, haven't I?
Jim
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Definitely not my favorite volume in this series. Frankly, I thought the side stories a bit lame, as was the overarching theme. I am also weary of the constantly changing artistic styles. Gaiman did this a lot. It starts to give me a headache. I am wondering if this series hasn't run its course and needs to end on a bang.
Janet Jay
Still love the premise, am having more trouble seeing where this all goes
Matt Sautman
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Meran
This volume begins to answer some of the mystery of the House, its origins, its reason for being, as well as those of Fig herself. Yes, the storyline has strayed a bit from the original first stories of the House, but I still like the series. There's less of the Cain and Able part, which I always enjoyed quite a lot, but I believe that mythos was begun and probably continued by other writers. Matthew Sturges has a different view on the House of Mystery; like the previous writers, he's exploring ...more
Alan
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I know Matthew Sturges and company had said they decided the series had hit the end. Yet, much like life the end is not all tied up neatly in a bow. Many, if not most, of the characters we have come to know over the course of seven volumes remain, and one literally is, adrift as sea. Perhaps, metaphorically speaking the series ended much like life.

It just ends. Its over. A little messy, some things concluded, and some wondering what more you could have done. I do like Fig, and the house's quirk
S.M.M. Lindström
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fantasy
The introduction of _yet another_ very central character this late in the series made the series go down one star for me. That, along with the "big reveal" (that I think a lot of people saw coming around vol.3), made this volume feel jumbled. Characters run left and right and do things that sometimes have consequences and sometimes don't, and there seems to be no real logic to which action will have influence and which won't. (view spoiler) ...more
Jamie Rosen
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Going into this, I thought it was the final volume -- which made the non-ending rather confusing. Turns out volume 8 is still to come.

Not the best volume of the series, by any means, and while the Halloween stories at the end are cute enough, they felt out of place and only tangentially related to the series itself.
Learned more about the Conception in this volume of the series.

Harry and Fig come close to their big reunion - but not without consequences.

And, Jordan tells another story . . . and, seriously, Jordan's stories should be turned into a spin-off because they never fail to make me laugh.

Straightforward horror stuff - nothing amazing, but not terrible either.

I'll keep reading.
Aldi
I was going to give it five stars for the cool meta/introspective Buffy-esque mental health stuff, but then the crappy manipulative "this is where it gets weird" sidebar yanked it down to three stars and only the Gaudium cameo hitched it back up to four. The most schizophrenic volume so far, but also one of my favourites.
Morgan
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, vertigo
Overall, this volume was one of the weaker ones and a little confusing to me. I could be the fact it took me a while to read since the last volume. The story is 3 stars, but I liked some of the artwork and the Halloween story was fun, so it gets a 4 star review.
Donald
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Finally finished up the House of Mystery, reading volumes 6, 7, and 8 over the last week (about two years after reading the first five).

Didn’t enjoy the whole Summerland/Thinking Man bit as much, but the rest was a rollicking finish to the series, bravo!
Shannon Appelcline
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
As with many of the other volumes, the core story here is pretty decompressed due to the substories within and the story ends right in the middle, but this is nonetheless an enjoyable continuation of the House's story that is clearly moving toward conclusion. The Annual at the end was only so-so.
Matt
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Muuuuuuch better. The story moves along at a nice clip, characters seem to regain their personality, and even the short stories seem to have a little more vim to them.
reqbat
May 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
a whole lot of nothing. they need to get on with the story or quit publishing. not worth the time OR the money. it's too bad because it started of so strongly.
Kevin
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: alternate-worlds
Not great, House of Mystery has been getting more obscure with every issue. I didn't find this book made much sense.
Jaime
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
No me gustó como terminó, no queda claro si lo cerró y las razones para cerrarlo parecen flojas y ambiguas.
Nicole
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
It would have been three stars, but the mini stories at the back were just too fun. Solidly good series that just keeps chugging along.
Lara
May 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Guh. This series started out really strong, but it seriously lost steam towards the end; they probably should have just ended it after volume 3. :(
Jaimie
Sep 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
This series has gotten increasingly non-sensical as it has gone on, to the point of not wanting to continue reading... But I will, because I'm too close to the end not to just finish it off!
Nicole *{Lady Aribeth}*
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 8: Orpheus in the Underworld
  • The Boys, Volume 12: The Bloody Doors Off
  • The Fate of Mice
  • Fables, Vol. 16: Super Team
  • Wasteland Book 2: Shades of God (Wasteland, #2)
  • Oglaf Book Two
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 4
  • Air, Volume 2: Flying Machine
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 2: The Face and the Brute
  • Revival, Vol. 5 : Gathering Of Waters
  • Angel & Faith: What You Want, Not What You Need (Angel & Faith, Volume 5)
  • The Books of Faerie: Auberon's Tale

House of Mystery (8 books)
  • House of Mystery, Volume 1: Room and Boredom
  • House of Mystery, Volume 2: Love Stories for Dead People
  • House of Mystery, Volume 3: The Space Between
  • House of Mystery, Volume 4: The Beauty of Decay
  • House of Mystery, Volume 5: Under New Management
  • House of Mystery, Volume 6: Safe as Houses
  • House of Mystery, Volume 8: Desolation

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)