Start by marking “Das fliegende Klassenzimmer” as Want to Read:
Das fliegende Klassenzimmer

Das fliegende Klassenzimmer

Seit Jahren sind die Schüler des Internats Kirchberg und der benachbarten Realschule verfeindet. Beide Gruppen denken sich die verrücktesten Streiche aus, um die anderen zu ärgern. Als die Realschüler die Diktathefte der Gymnasiasten klauen und dabei auch noch einen Schüler gefangen nehmen, hört der Spaß allerdings auf!

Mit leiser Melancholie und warmem Humor erzählt
Published 2006 by Dressler Verlag (first published January 1st 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Das fliegende Klassenzimmer, please sign up.
Tevfik İŞcan As I understand, the author is the third best friend with Dr. Bökh and the other man (I couldn't remember his name because I read the book in Turkish…moreAs I understand, the author is the third best friend with Dr. Bökh and the other man (I couldn't remember his name because I read the book in Turkish and he called "nonsmoker" mostly) so author told us a real story by learning from his close friends imo. (less)

Start your review of Das fliegende Klassenzimmer
Manny
There were two episodes in this German children's classic that really stayed with me. The first occurs early in the book. The narrator tells you about a little boy called Johnny, who was born in New York. His father is German and his mother is American, and they really don't get on. Mom leaves. And when Johnny is four, his father puts him on a boat to Hamburg, with a label round his neck on which he's written Johnny's name. He tells the Captain that Johnny's grandparents will meet him at the ...more
Manybooks
With novels that have been perennial favourites since childhood, I often find it both nigh impossible to in any way post a review that is for one adequately laudatory of either the author or his/her story (at least according to my own rather stringent criteria) and for two is in any manner even remotely critical (even with regard to parts that do in fact warrant this). And with this in mind, I have had my probably very favourite German language Christmas-themed children's classic, Erich ...more
Jan-Maat
Children's story set in a boy's boarding school, focusing on a group of friends.

The title comes from the story within the story - the group of friends are preparing a play to be performed before the Christmas holidays, it is called ?, the idea of this play is that in the school of the future, learning will be experiential, you want to teach children about volcanos - well you'll pack them into a plane and fly to one, history - fly to the pyramids and so on.

In the time honoured way of plays within
Tyas
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-children
The first time I read this book was about 20 years ago, and I have loved the book ever since. Probably apart from my textbooks which, whether I like or not, I had to read repeatedly in high school and college, this is the book that I’ve been reading again and again from the first to the last page for most times.

The story is set in an all-male boarding school – or to be exact a Gymnasium called Johann-Sigismund in Germany. Unlike many other books about teens living in dorms, the story does not
Ms. Smartarse
Translated into English as The Flying Classroom.

For the longest time I've always associated the 'right books' with immense bouts of depression. Since I was a kid, I would happily spend the day reading tonnes of charming little tales about brave princes, mysterious elves and clever talking tigers. But then some busybody teacher would inevitably ruin my enjoyment by letting me know that these books were not age-appropriate anymore. I needed to read stories with more depth! I would generally relent
Nika
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a bout of nostalgia the other day, and just had to read this again. Still love it, still cried.
hanhilhen
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: somebody who wants to preserve their childhood memory
Well, I know I like children book. They are all special for a person like me (who doesn't really want to grow up). But this book is so unique and the way Erich Kaestner wrote his dry humor in this book is really one of his kind.
You will meet the little Uli von Simmern, a wanna be a boxer Matthias Selbmann, the smartest Martin Thaler, the sarcastic Sebastian Frank and the author Johnny Trotz in this Germany boys boarding school story.
All of them are mixed up together. From funny story when
Elleonora Tambunan
Four stars for the heart-melting factor as the ending!:). I read the book for the first time years ago, its Indonesian translation, to be exact. The book is about a group of students in Johann-Sigismund Gymnasium, in the last days before their Christmas break. Erich Kastner was superb in creating so humanly characters, the plot is fantastic, and to this day I am still heartened by the boys' friendship. One question remains lingering on my mind, though: are the school principal and his long-lost ...more
Katy Noyes
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner that should be better known outside of its home country. By the author of Emil and the Detectives, this story is just as enjoyable.

Bookended by a writer trying to come up with a Christmas story, the book is then set in a boarding school in Germany, with a period feeling of Tom Brown's Schooldays, Morpurgo's The War of Jenkins' Ear and Kipling's Stalky and Co as well as the fun of Harry Potter and Matilda.

It's a little adventure of the boys there, with stolen exercise books, a
Angela Jr.
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A genuinely heart-warming story.
Alexa
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.5*
I really enjoyed the first half of this book with all the fights between the students of the two schools. But the second half just didn't interest me at all and was kinda boring.
Bottom line: Eisern!
Amanda Northrup
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Erich Kastner's The Flying Classroom, was originally published in German in 1933. Last year I read (and enjoyed) his classic, Emil and the Detectives. So I was curious to see if The Flying Classroom would have the same charm.

Although The Flying Classroom had some memorable scenes, overall it was really disappointing. While this book will certainly appeal to an adult audience looking to relive older-styled stories, I doubt it will find much of an audience in the US in 2015.

But there are lots of
David Koblos
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
Another great classic I'd missed out and caught up on with an adult head. Not sure if I really liked it that much. It's cute and all, but I think there are too many story threads for the short volume. Also, I couldn't help being reminded of another school-boy classic from Hungary, which I happened to read as a kid. It's a bit older than this one, and the focus is entirely on the two rivaling youth gangs.
Emily
This is my second time reading The Flying Classroom, I truly wish the reality of American schools could be just like what it is described in the fiction...but I guess the society is made up of difference people and things don't always go your way, so you have to learn to accept your surroundings in order to make yourself happy.
Stefani Akins
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Erich Kästner. This particular book of his and another children's classic, Pünktchen und Anton, have long been on my perennial favorites list. Reading it today, you also get some incidental insight into life in Germany in the early 1930s.
Duru Haru
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a homework that my teacher gave me. Be honest, I always hate the reading homeworks because i can not get the motivation or the feeling when i want to read somthing so bad. But this book changed my thoughts on the read works. This book is actually one of the bests.
Dessi Walsh
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely and totally wonderful.
Vessela Desheva
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I've read this book as a child but it was such a pleasure to re-discover it with my children!:) Such a beautiful, touching, hearth-warming story!:)))
Julie
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Kastner’s 1933 novel about a group of very young male students that live at a boarding school in Germany and which highlights their camaraderie as the grow up and learn about life and how they learn to rely on their classmates and their teachers. This was just okay for me. However, when I researched the author; he became more interesting than this story. He was German and his books were burned in 1933 when the Goebbels instigated the book burnings pre WWII. Now I want to read a biography ...more
Sara
Jan 09, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Very fun, different school boys and Christmas story. Love the boys freedom to grow as independent, thinking humans with agency. Love the male head of school and his old best friend who is scraping by. Love the male friendships and rough tenderness. Read this aloud with boys ( and parts of original German version). Kästner is one of the only authors whose books were burned by the Nazi party who stayed in Germany through the war, watched the book burning and documented in his writing but this book ...more
Dominika
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this story, it was so charming, moving and simply wonderful, I couldn't stop reading it! It's a school story, a group of boys living in a boarding school and their teachers and their adventures in a week before Christmas. If you want to read a heart-warming story in which teachers are supportive and love their job, I highly recommend this book.
Eric Hinkle
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely wonderful little book, full of laughter and sadness. And lots of honesty and even more heart.

Kästner is clearly the kind of author I could fall in love with! Gimme more.
Valentina
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really nice and kind book for children. As well as for older readers ;-)
Mary Taitt
This book got off to a slow start but then was kind of fun.
Sara
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this first in English then tried to test my reading skills in German. Tough! This author uses a ton of idiom and figurine language.
Kıymetlimiss
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading this book I was sad to think that our class was boring :))
Mirko
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
outstanding!
Isaac Peter
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great especially when a teacher punished himself in third person
Mectua
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
THE BEST CHILDREN'S BOOK I've ever read! I was either 12 or 13 years old when I've read the book. I am in love with the book!
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
An odd little school story. The boys have their notions of decency (no tattling, no crying, don't bully those younger than you). Some of their notions, upheld by their teachers, would have modern parents getting the authorities involved, such as: physical violence is a viable way of settling differences between schoolboys, whether it be a battle with snowballs (rocks included) or a one-on-one punchup; doing something dangerous and stupid that ends in personal injury is better than thinking ...more

• Der Räuber Hotzenplotz (Hotzenplotz, #1)
  • Max und Moritz. Eine Bubengeschichte in sieben Streichen
  • Der kleine Wassermann
  • The Little Ghost
  • Krabat
  • Der Struwwelpeter
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Eine Woche voller Samstage (Sams, #1)
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Die Wilden Hühner (Die Wilden Hühner, #1)
  • Die rote Zora und ihre Bande
  • Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer
  • Die Verwandlung
  • Biedermann und die Brandstifter
  • Timm Thaler oder Das verkaufte Lachen
  • Meister Eder und sein Pumuckl (Pumuckl #1)
  • Urmel aus dem Eis (Urmel, #1)
Erich Kästner (1899 – 1974) was a German author, poet, screenwriter and satirist, known for his humorous, socially astute poetry and children's literature.

A stout pacifist and democrat, he was expelled from the national writers' guild during the Nazi era, with many of his books being burned in public. Today, he is widely regarded as one of Germany's most prolific and beloved children's book
“Трябва да се научите твърдо да преглъщате ударите, както се изразяват боксьорите. Трябва да се научите да ги преглъщате и да ги смилате. Инак още при първата плесница, която ви залепи животът, ще бъдете „гроги“. Защото боксьорските ръкавици на живота са дяволски големи, момчета. Ако изядеш една такава плесница, без да си подготвен за нея, достатъчно е след това само някоя от малките стайни мушици да кихне, за да се проснеш с цялата си дължина.” 0 likes