Start by marking “Dinosaur vs. the Library” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur vs. the Library

Dinosaur vs. the Library

(Dinosaur vs.)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  1,259 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
Dinosaur is going to one of his favorite places: the library! On the way, he invites his friends--a lonesome turtle, a sad owl and more-- to roar along with him. But how will his roaring go over at the library? Has Dinosaur finally met his match in Storytime? By combining everyone's favorite feisty red dinosaur with a variety of animals and a celebration of reading, author ...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur vs. the Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur vs. the Library

Heather
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is the best book in the series yet. When dinosaur visits the library will he remember to use his "inside roar"? The illustration of Dinosaur trying to stay quiet during storytime is priceless! You'll have to read it to see whether Dinosaur or the Library wins, but one thing's for certain... the reader is definitely wins by checking out this excellent picture book.
Colby Sharp
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
My four year old is the reason for the 4 stars. I wasn't completely sold, but he went nuts. He read it for a solid 45 minutes in bed tonight, complete with gigantic roars.

Sometimes I feel like in order to understand a books quality you need to read it to its intended audience.
Melissa
May 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Like other reviewers, I wanted more library in this library book! I did notice that all the animals he met on the way TO the library showed up as friends at storytime, so there was a slight connection between the walk to the library and the library itself. The "inside roar" is good, as is "Okay, they both win" at the end. The first one is the best!
Kaethe
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
January 9, 2013

I am charmed by the small growly dino. He is up against a worthy opponent.

***

July 11, 2014

My favorite of the series, because library.

Library copy.
Sara
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
I was going to go with three stars, but we turned the page and *gasp* there was ballet cat. My 7 yr. old and I were both so excited, that was a 5 star moment!
Carly Reighard
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As a Children's librarian, I LOVE this book!

As the dinosaur makes his way to the library, he meets many shy and quiet animals. After having a roaring contest with each of them, he's left them in quite a tizzy. And now, they're all roaring, too! But once he arrives at the library for storytime, he has to choose whether or not he will have a roaring contest with his library friends.

The illustrations in this book are phenomenal and I felt as though I could really relate to the book. Although the d
Mary
This is a fantastic read-aloud for preschool listeners. Bright illustrations and a big roaring dinosaur make this a great participation story. Also there is a gentle reminder about storytime manners thrown in.
Shannon
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Happy National Picture Book Month! Perfect to kick off the month with.
Katy
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Once again, I just kind of wish there was more here for storytime use. I think kids will like these, but they are a bit repetitive and fluffy for me to want to use them.
Laurie
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jessica
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
The ending of Dinosaur vs. the Library was a bit of a letdown, and you could tell by the reactions of the storytime kids, but overall, it was the most successful book of the books/libraries themed storytime. It mainly consists of roaring like a dinosaur, and I made sure that every time the dinosaur roared (almost everyone at storytime was over five and could read already, so they knew when the ROAR!s were coming), they made a "scary dinosaur face" and ROARed their little hearts out. Much of it c ...more
Dolly
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens, library
We've read both Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and Dinosaur vs. the Potty and while our girls are getting a little too big for these books, they still find them to be quite humorous. The loud roaring and the all-too apt description of toddler/preschooler behavior is fun. And since the dinosaur is the one with the focus on him, children won't feel like the spotlight is on their own behavior.

We saw the author, Bob Shea, at the 2011 National Book Festival at the National Mall in Washington DC on 25 Septembe
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Dinosaur takes a walk to the library and meets friends along the way. He wins with his animal friends and everyone starts roaring. At the library, the roars need to quiet and can a dinosaur roar during a story?

It's fun to roar along with Dinosaur. We practice all types of roars - loud, soft, small, etc. It is also important to count and roar so it's not just a dino zoo. The end of the book show which book they listened to at the library - New Socks by Bob Shea. (Another fun story to share at sto
Emilia P
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Errol read this to me. Errol is amazing and an amazing book reader. Ooh ah. This book is also pretty nice and great. Especially the illustrations and the very very bold color choices. The narrative is fairly absurd throughout and devolves into nonsense in the best way ever at the end. A great book for weirdo parents and weirdo kids and weirdos period. Read: Us. And Sharka.

P.S. Errol's special note: Dinosaurs Rule.
Jessica
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Appeal Characteristics: THE LIBRARIAN ALWAYS WIN! Child Behaviors, Story Time etiquette, Great animal concept

If you have a noisy kid in storytime, or have a parent asking about story-time etiquette...this is the book! I loved the fact he was louder than all the other "animals" (kids) on his way to the library...but at the library... :) Well I'll leave that up to you to find out!
Heidi-Marie
My first "Dinosaur vs." book. I think I may be missing a few things about it, but it was still fun. I loved all the roaring and the animals with their roars. Some of the story didn't flow for me. I'd have to think how to read this with the kids (besides having them roar along). Loved the pictures--some of the expressions, especially of the dinosaur near the end, were great!
Kerrikoala
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
The pictures were cute, but I wasn't quite sold on the "battles". I personally would rather have a dinosaur come into the library and roar, instead of screaming kids, people with loud ringtones, people talking too loudly on their cellphones, and patrons who argue loudly over any- and everything. I don't have to do story time, though. :)
Meg McGregor
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Lexi loved the dinosaur roar and I tried to make it as ferocious as possible.

A great story to help show little ones the difference between their inside and outside voices.

A fun read with zany illustrations.
Anna
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a super cute book for library-themed storytime! It would have been perfect had I not lost my voice at the first ROAR. Oops.
Stacy Fetters
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Dinosaur vs.... maybe hes just a dick with a huge ego.

Guess what? I win!
Jessalyn King
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Cute! I love the word/picture balance and how little he has to write.
Ro  Long
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Roar...mediocrity wins. It was meh! I liked it but a little anti climactic.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Dinosaurs like to go to the library...I KNEW IT! Great book in this wonderful series.
Madeline
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute and silly way of teaching children what we do in libraries. Great for toddlers, as it's not a difficult plot.
Zainab
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: learning
Loved all the books in this series
Meghann Sniffen
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Awards the book has received (if any):none
Appropriate grade level(s):1-3rd
Original 3-line summary: Our favorite little dinosaur faces a new mission - the library! He calls on all his friends to go to story time in the library, but with his loud roaring in the hallways, how will he know how to act in the library.
Original 3-line review: This is another book within a series that is good for children. I like the topic of it because there is not a lot of books that help learn/ teach children how to a
Stephanielaurenwilling
Not as fun as Dinosaur vs. Santa, but still fun. It did not make me want to read it out loud to my husband, which is my current yardstick for PB greatness. I read it, smiled, and was done. But I will definitely keep an eye out for more Dinosaur vs. books. It's a delightful structure, and the art is super fun.
Karen
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the Dinosaur. And I love libraries. And I love Bob Shea's illustration and humor. (And I love Ballet Cat.) I pretty much love everything about this perfect picture book.
Samantha
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Roar!
Caitlin Ostberg
excellent when teaching using inside voices in the library
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Meeow and the Big Box
  • Book! Book! Book!
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • The Midnight Library
  • Huff & Puff
  • The Birthday Box
  • I'm Not.
  • Oh No, George!
  • The Purple Kangaroo
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Except If
  • Cat Secrets
  • The Foggy, Foggy Forest
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • Go! Go! Go! Stop!
  • Brief Thief
Bob Shea has written and illustrated over a dozen picture books including the popular Dinosaur vs. Bedtime and the cult favorite Big Plans illustrated by Lane Smith.

His characters and animations have appeared on Nick Jr, Playhouse Disney and PBS Kids.

Bob spends his days writing, drawing and having “conversations” with NPR.

Dinosaur vs. (6 books)