Start by marking “The Widower's Two-Step (Tres Navarre, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Widower's Two-Step (Tres Navarre, #2)

The Widower's Two-Step

(Tres Navarre #2)

Tres Navarre has just hours of apprenticeship time to serve before he can go for his P.I. license. Staking out a musician suspected of stealing a demo tape should be a piece of pan dulce. But his attention wanders just long enough for fiddle player Julie Kearnes to be gunned down before his eyes. He should just back away and let the cops investigate, but backing away has ...more
Published May 4th 1998 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Widower's Two-Step, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Widower's Two-Step

Start your review of The Widower's Two-Step (Tres Navarre, #2)
Karyl
Sep 18, 2011 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book so much. I adore Riordan's Percy Jackson series, with its tight, witty writing that has me laughing out loud in places. But unfortunately this book isn't up to the same quality. For one thing, there are so many characters, few of them fully fleshed out, that it's hard to remember who's who, or how they're related. Secondly, the events that occur can be somewhat confusing. I just couldn't follow along exactly what was going on, but I caught the gist of it with wide ...more
Michael
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
PI in-training Tres Navarre, while working on a stolen demo tape for a promising female country star, stumbles upon the murder of a musician in San Antonio. As the plot thickens, the reader gets a tour of competitive forces in the music industry in Austin and a great cast of high rollers and low-life denizens of South Texas, with frequent side trips for Mexican food. The hero has a PhD in English, a a scintillating wit, and a sensitive heart, which doesn't help him avoid danger or entangling ...more
Katy-Del
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Rick Riordan is so descriptive, I feel like I am in San Antonio or Austin. I love that.

It was good, but I hated the people Tres was around in the book. Everyone Tres was supposed to be helping, Milo, the band, the boss's wife, they all just seemed like such bad, manipulative people. I was really just cheering for Tres to satisfy his curiosity and move on.

He did manage to not get hit in the face until about page 200.
Melani
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
There's something comforting to me about these books. They're not great, but they're good enough. And as I said before, Riordan's narrative voice is extremely strong.
Spuddie
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This review applies to the audio version.

#2 in the Tres Navarre PI series set in Texas. Tres, with his PhD in English, is using his degree in the way many English majors do--by doing something totally unrelated to their studies. He's almost got enough hours logged in with his mentor to apply for an official Private Investigator's license when a person he's staking out is shot right while he's (supposed to be) watching.

Julie Kearns was a fiddle player, suspected of stealing the demo tape of an
Jeremy
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: P.I. fans, martial arts fans, English majors.
Recommended to Jeremy by: My goofy parents.
Absolutely zero complaints. While not quite as personal as the first book in the series, the craft is undiminished. All the characters seem very real, and the plot moves at a breakneck pace. Dialogue is sharp and narration flawless, and often laugh-out-loud, especially in regards to stupid people and his cat. I also love the little nods to Chaucer and Beowulf and so forth. I majored in English at the same college Tres interviews for a job at.

Having lived in San Antonio eleven years (Erainya's
LeeAnne
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it
While I love Tres Navarre and his cat Robert Johnson, this book dragged a bit for me. I guess the country music business of Texas just doesn't interest me that much. Regardless, the writing is good and the snark is snarky so I'll keep reading about the trials and tribulations of Tres.
Becky
I wanted to love this because of my love for Percy Jackson and company. I didn't. It's like Chet and Bernie without the canine charm. Very straight-forward mystery with the overly macho dude sleeping with too many women. Ugh.
Maggie
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book opens with Tres Navarre on a surveillance of a woman whom Tres suspects of stealing an audio recording of a musicians's session. When that woman is assassinated while he's watching her, Tres has to solve the mystery of why she was the target, even though he is warned off the case buy multiple people, including his employer. This leads his to interview all sorts in the music scene in San Antonio and Austin and leads his to more mayhem and fun for the reader.
Brenda
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
In a like/hate relationship with this series. There's time's I really like Tres, then there's time's I am reading it because I love his cat Robert Johnson. Tres is a drunk who bumbles around and trips over the truth. He really needs to stop drinking and keep his pants on. The best scene in this book hands down is the scene with a very loud boombox and a parrot.
Linda Thompson
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this Tres Navarre book better than the first.
I still think Tres would not be able to function if he were a real person. He drinks more than eating or sleeping.
I agree with other reviews, besides Tres and Robert Johnson and Jem, the characters were not likable.
I’m still not sure about Miranda.
I will say the end was a surprise and mildly satisfying.
Sunil
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DarkHorseMBA

Love the San Antonio references. Not sexual and a good clean read that way. There is a lot of adult language. Over all a little predictable.
Edward
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found I wasn't quite as interested in the country music plotline, but enjoyed the book once it got going. Moving on to the next Tres Navarre title.
Ksb Nh
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
More violence than I like, but a good twist on the plot.
Carol
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Re-Read.
San Antonio TX. Country music. Second in the Tres Navarre private eye series
Lynn Belisle is Rick Riordan's mother.
Lorrie
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tres Navarre is probably my favorite English Professor/detective! I love the stories - easy reads and lots of "home town" details. I always enjoy my adventures with Tres and his band of buddies!
Carol Hamilton
It's good, I liked it,

Kept reading, loved the San Antonio and South Texas details which I know well. Too formulaic to give it 4stars but don't stop!
Roy Christensen
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whoever's two step

Good tale but a little less surprising g than some I have read. Like Grisham on a less than average day
Renee Walz
It was worth the read, but too many characters I really didn't get to know!
Melva
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love reading about San Antonio!
Nicholas Bobbitt
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
As much as I adore Riordan's writing when it's for kids, this book just doesn't have the same qualities that I like about his writing to it.
Jack Heath
Nov 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Synopsis: Tres is staking out a musician suspected of stealing a demo tape when she is gunned down. He has entered a rattlesnake's nest of greed.
Rick Parsons
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable detective mystery about a music producer that disappeared mysteriously.
Michele Arduengo
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than the first Tres Navarre book--the action was fast paced and enjoyable. These are great, fun reads.
Michael Laughrin
Rick Riordan is, in my opinion, the best living American author of private eye novels.
Christy Esmahan
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
A consistently good writer. I like it when series continue with the same, comfortable story in an entertaining way. Will definitely read the third book!
Jonn
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining, a great Airport read, deep enough you need to think but not so onerous you cant remember what is happening.
Chris Birdy
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book was interesting with a Texas backdrop and a peek into the tough road breaking into the country music scene. Tres Navarro is a wannabe PI who has a penchant for violence and is sorely over-educated for that position. A manager disappears and Navarro must find him. While looking for the manager, Navarro comes across an assortment of characters, including women who will bed him and deceive him.
Carolyn
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
A good read, but the book was probably a hundred pages longer than it needed to be to tell the story. Also, the female protagonist, Miranda Daniels, became more and more annoying as the story progressed. Not as good as Big Red Tequila, but will still probably give the Tres Navarre series another go one day.
Robert
Aug 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Guyuuudi (happimood)
At first I thought that this was going to be one of those books where Riordan had to bring in all of the characters from Big Red Tequila. Well, there are some characters who make return appearances, but it isn't one of those books.

Then I thought it was going to be a formula book, basically the same plot as Big Red Tequila, but with different characters and different locations. Well, because the main character is who he is and his characterization is consistent, there is a little familiarity to
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sam Houston and the Alamo Avengers: The Texas Victory That Changed American History
  • Zombie Spaceship Wasteland
  • Last Words
  • Mourning Gloria (China Bayles, #19)
  • Miniatures: The Very Short Fiction of John Scalzi
  • No Is a Four-Letter Word: How I Failed Spelling but Succeeded in Life
  • An Idiot Abroad: The Travel Diaries of Karl Pilkington
  • Slobberknocker: My Life in Wrestling
  • A Ripple In Time: A Historical Novel Of Survival
  • Douglas Adams' Starship Titanic
  • The Man Who Watched Trains Go By
  • The Tournament
  • Death of a Macho Man (Hamish Macbeth, #12)
  • It's Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Shadows Still Remain
  • Love Hurts (The Dresden Files, #11.5)
  • Hidden War: How Special Operations Game Wardens Are Reclaiming America's Wildlands from the Drug Cartels

Tres Navarre (7 books)
  • Big Red Tequila (Tres Navarre, #1)
  • The Last King of Texas (Tres Navarre, #3)
  • The Devil Went Down to Austin (Tres Navarre, #4)
  • Southtown (Tres Navarre, #5)
  • Mission Road (Tres Navarre, #6)
  • Rebel Island (Tres Navarre, #7)
“You could hear the stereo from the downstairs neighbors just fine. They were playing Metallica. Playing isn't really the right verb for Metallica, I guess. Grinding, maybe. Extruding.” 5 likes
“I decided to keep my mouth shut. Sometimes I'm capable of it.” 2 likes