Start by marking “Chew, Vol. 4: Flambé” as Want to Read:
Chew, Vol. 4: Flambé

Chew, Vol. 4: Flambé

(Chew #4)

These are strange times for Tony Chu, the cibopathic federal agent with the ability to get psychic impressions from the things he eats. Strange writing in extraterrestrial script has appeared in the skies of Planet Earth - and stayed there! People don''t know if the end days are upon them or not, but they don''t seem terribly concerned about the laws of the FDA, and what w ...more
Published October 4th 2011 by Image Comics (first published August 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Chew, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chew, Vol. 4

karen
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
blah blah blah this is all the same:

i burned through all ten published volumes of this series in a matter of months, and while i managed a fairly coherent review of the first volume, i am overwhelmed by the thought of going back and reviewing volumes 2-10, trying to recapture that innocent mindset that didn't know what happened in subsequent volumes and trying to stay within the lines of the volume i'd be reviewing.

my hat is off to you serial comic book/graphic novel reviewers who are able to c
Dan Schwent
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2018-comics
Chu and Agent Valenzano go looking for a missing voresophic named Daniel Migdalo, a man with super genius intelligence while he's eating. What does Migalo's disappearance have to do with the mysterious alien writing burning in the sky?

Here we are, the fourth entry in the Chew series. Chew, Colby, and sometimes Valenzano go up against an enormous man, a kid named Peter Pilaf, and team up with the USDA. More of Chew's family history is explored and the secret of the writing in the sky is revealed.
Matthew
This series is already extremely bizarre, and it just got much weirder really quickly! Sometimes when stores go off the rails and into left field, I start to lose interest. With this series I expect to spend my time out in left field!

Aliens, anti-egg religious zealots, ticked off ninja chickens, and all manner of people with weird side effects when they eat. Irreverent and hilarious - I continue to be extremely entertained!

Also, I continue to love the kooky artwork in this series. Often times th
Joy
"What the fuck was that?"
"Concentrated mayhem. Feathers, rage and hate. POYO!!!"

Now this was one hell of a rollercoaster ride, and I still have no idea what the main plot was (maybe there wasn't one?). I feel like this volume was just a couple random - and VERY weird - cases all thrown together. But it was still enjoyable and hilarious, and I live for randomness so yes, another solid volume of Chew!

I recommend this graphic novel to lovers of weird and funny stories that probably won't make a lot
Lindsey Rey
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novels
I'M OBSESSED!
Raeleen Lemay
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
This series is great but it’s starting to feel a bit repetitive. Hopefully things shake up a bit soon!
StoryTellerShannon
In this volume Chu finds himself working with an old partner who used to pair up with Mason Savoy, Chu's former mentor turned nemesis. USDA agents, similar to the one in the second volume, show up but this time in great mass. I found some of the humor to be spot on with their characters and man do they love their special pets. Chu's sister makes a more substantial appearance this time, introducing us to Area 51.

We also get to know two new types of characters: A Voresoph becomes smarter the more
Jedi JC Daquis
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Personally, this is the weakest arc yet of Chew. Chew volume 4 didn't sell to me as much as the previous three volumes. The fun and the wit are still there, though in a less cohesive story. It serves mainly as a thick teaser on what will happen in the next issues.

The space letters are now gone and nothing has been revealed that can explain their appearance in the first place. Although Savoy might have some clues about it. On the other hand, our duo Chu and Colby pursues other cases which are som
Sercan Vatansever
Yine çok hoştu ama biraz hızlı mı gelişti her şey?
Sam Quixote
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you're a casual reader of comics and have a vague interest in this story but haven't really started to read it, or if you've just stumbled across this by chance, stop reading this review and pick up the first volume, "Taster's Choice", trust me, I'm doing you a favour `cos I might just spill some spoilers in this review.

That's right, a new volume of the best damn original comics series going at the moment is out and that means one thing for a review about it - load up the superlatives! Fanta
Kaitlin
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-sff-faves
This is Volume 4 in this wacky series and once more we're following Tony Chu. I read this as a part of the #Rainbowthon and I am very glad that I added it in to break up some of the longer reads and keep me motivated and excited for the first day.

This volume didn't quite compare to the third one (which is so far my favourite) but it still had a few interesting developments and as always the artwork is fun. The story follows Chu and his co worker as they try to investigate the strange appearance
Kurt
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love Chew, and this volume was a great example of the best aspects of the series. Each issue has a self-contained story, but there is something of a linking device in that bizarre fiery writing floats in the sky in the background of each story (many of the plot points relate to the strange writing, but not all). Layman also takes some time in these issues to spin out more foodie wierdos (a kid who is able to influence behavior through his cooking, a voresoph who is superhumanly brilliant but o ...more
Grissel
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
-2.75-

El que menos me ha gustado hasta ahora. Me aburrió un poco. Y buscaba algo entretenido y rápido para el fin de semana, así que mejor volveré a mis lecturas.

Y qué pasa con las mujeres de USDA que todas tienen los atributos de Sofía Vergara. Si una mujer dibujara esto, ¿Todos los hombres tendrían los atributos de Michael Fassbender?
Rhiannon
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Fans of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Invader Zim need to get on this. Foodies and the food-movement people need to get on this. Anyone who likes fun... needs to get on this. Like now.

If you don't know what Chew is, "it is a story about an FDA Agent who solves crimes by getting psychic impressions by eating things, including people."

Chew has been CONSISTENTLY the best graphic novel series I have read in the recent-times. Now, I love my Fables to bits and bits. And I love Rick Grimes and The Wa
Say
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ha!!! Who would have thought but Colby and Antonelle was my favorite here. They stood out in this volume. This might be my favourite so far. Good storyline and the secondary characters just stood out in this one, not so much Tony but hey that's ok. Enjoying this one a lot. =)
Mel
May 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Really like these but anxious to see where it's headed. A lot of filler in the last 2 graphic novels.
Andrew
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the final twist of the previous volume, the story resumes with more investigations full of mistery for the the F.D.A agent Tony Chu. This fourth chapter seems to be a tribute to science fiction, although some clues had already occurred in previous issues. Between secrets, mysterious written in the sky and a cult of eggs ‘s worshipper, Tony Chu and his colleague Colby will investigate several cases apparently disconnected.

There is some difficulty in following the various episodes, although
Ariel
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
These are just so well written and so much fun.
Mike
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Moves pretty quick - has it always been this smooth and action-y? I think so but I thought it took more time to get from start to finish of previous books. Subtle intrigues are sprinkled throughout, which means I'm anticipating some sinister payoff in the future.

I enjoyed it but something felt a little disjointed - going back and forth through timelines this much was new, and we're now trying to follow multiple underlying subplots that may or may not converge in some point in the readers' future
Alex Sarll
As with the late, lamented Exterminators, Chew initially looked like a series whose high concept, brilliant as it was, might not be enough to sustain a long run. And then it chucked in bonkers idea after brilliant idea, all of them somehow nonetheless maintaining a consistency of tone, and even a certain warped logic. And unlike The Exterminators, Chew is selling very well. I'm glad.
Vivian
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5
Eh, it was alright. Funny at times but the way its laid out feels a but disjointed. I don't think I ever really paid too much attention the art but I definitely have a newfound appreciation for it. I will be continuing on with the series, either way.
Sanaa
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
[3.5 Stars] This series keeps getting weirder and weirder... I like it though this was probably my least favorite out of the series so far because we don't get much explanation for anything. The meandering plot keeps meandering (though it straights up a little in later volumes)!
Scott
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Argh! The cliffhangers in this series! These are fun reads, but always feel like I want a bit more from it. I did like the Sci-Fi angle in this one. Good series that I'll keep on reading.
Barb (Boxermommyreads)
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
As I continue with this wonderful series, I'm finding it harder and harder to write reviews without giving away major components of the story line. That being said, "Flambe" brings about a whole new set of problems for our beloved Toby Chu. For some reason, the sky is now filled with untranslatable messages which stay for days and days and it's up to the FDA, with some assistance of some other government agencies, to determine what is happening and whether or not the Earth is in danger. Add to t ...more
Graham Wilhauk
The first half of this volume is EASILY the weakest part of the series so far. However, it got back on track for the last two issues. This volume saved itself, but it isn't the best. Hoping it stays good like the first three volumes.

I am giving this one a 3.5 out of 5 stars.
Roy
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wacky weird comedy crime. So really cool art in this. Still enjoying it alot. Interesting to see where this goes.
Clare Carter
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*

Since I still don't have time to read any book-books for fun, my graphic novel train continues. I didn't like this volume quite as much as the first three, but I have a feeling a lot of plotlines that were introduced here will continue and build in volume 5.

Even so, sometimes I am just blown away by how clever and ironic these graphic novels are! I am usually very bad about continuing graphic novel series, but I am dedicated to this one! (Also, I adore John.)
Margarida
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
um prato cheio :-D
de comer e chorar por mais.
Metin Yılmaz
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Chew'de değişen şeyler başlıyor bu ciltte. Sıradan gidiyor gibi olacak tekrara düşecek diye korkarak devam ediyorum seriye. Ama şaşırtacaklar diye düşünüyorum.
Comic Book Club: Chew. Still Reading? Finished? 6 7 Aug 23, 2018 11:33AM
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 3: P.E.
  • Sweet Tooth, Volume 4: Endangered Species
  • Revival, Vol. 4: Escape to Wisconsin
  • The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 2: They Rule
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 7: The Wound
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 2: Crossroads (The Sixth Gun, #2)
  • Fatale, Vol. 2: The Devil's Business (Fatale, #2)
  • American Vampire, Vol. 5
  • DMZ, Vol. 9: M.I.A.
  • Keys to the Kingdom (Locke & Key, #4)
  • Scalped, Vol. 6: The Gnawing (Scalped, #6)
  • Invincible, Vol. 15: Get Smart
John Steele Layman is an American comic book writer and letterer. Layman is most known for writing Chew, published by Image Comics.

Chew (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice
  • Chew, Vol. 2: International Flavor
  • Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts
  • Chew, Vol. 5: Major League
  • Chew, Vol. 6: Space Cakes
  • Chew, Vol. 7: Bad Apples
  • Chew, Vol. 8: Family Recipes
  • Chew, Vol. 9: Chicken Tenders
  • Chew, Vol. 10: Blood Puddin'
  • Chew, Vol. 11: The Last Suppers
“This is Poyo. Poyo was exposed to a near-lethal amount of radiation as an egg, during the first stages of a government experiment to create mutant super soldiers--trained in exotic martial arts technique by Tibetan Kung Fu fightin' monks--and given strange bio-enhancements during a rash of farm animal abductions by extra-terrestrials. Nah, just kidding. None of that shit is true. Poyo is just really, really bad ass.” 11 likes