Start by marking “Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers” as Want to Read:
Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers

Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  761 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Jeanne Liedtka and Tim Ogilvie educate readers in one of the hottest trends in business: "design thinking," or the ability to turn abstract ideas into practical applications for maximal business growth. Liedtka and Ogilvie cover the mind-set, techniques, and vocabulary of design thinking, unpack the mysterious connection between design and growth, and teach managers in a s ...more
Published June 2nd 2011 by Columbia Business School Publishing (first published May 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Designing for Growth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing for Growth

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers
Aaron Bolin
My expectations for this book were quite high -- I wanted the promised thinking tool kit for managers in a fun-to-read package as advertised in the book title.

I was a little disappointed. It is a good read, and the authors did a nice job of making the book visually compelling. I was disappointed in the depth of the content though. The authors presented what I felt was a very surface-level explanation of the design process. The primary "tool" was a phased approach to design that separated creativ
Christopher Willey
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of the first book recommendations from the Singularity University that I actually jumped on. Of course, I’m super late to this party. Turns out my colleagues in Design and Visual Communication have been teaching whole courses on this topic.

That said, it has been a minute since I finished this book, and I am ALREADY adopting techniques and behaviors the book relates and it all starts with these four questions:
What is?
What if?
What wows?
What works?

These are convergent divergent an
Adoptry
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a former management consultant, my dominant thinking is left-brained, linear, and very structured. However, through a 7+ year career post MBA, I found that I was weak when it came to generating creative yet business value generating ideas. I took up Prof. Liedtka's Coursera class on Design Thinking to supplement my arsenal of skills and found the design thinking approach in this book to be a great complement to my existing skill set.

The book is simple to read and understand; plenty of illust
Michele
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this book for my online Design thinking class, am learning a lot from the course and forum thread discussions.
vibhor jain
The modern business conducting methodologies have definitely changed the landscape of how the industry works today. The ecosystem of combining market research with lean management techniques have come a long way in minimising the scope of error across multiple façade of business zone, around the world. Who would had thought that corporates would become so customer centric that before even launching any product, the co-creation with consumers would become such an important point that they would i ...more
Brendan
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
Great primer on design thinking

If you look up design thinking on Google images, you'll see something with a bunch of hexagons or circles that each represent a step in the process. That part is pretty easy to find. The not so easy part to find is what each of those steps consist of. This book will help fill that void, and will provide some tools you can use to complete each of the steps of the design thinking process. I use the word process loosely, because as with any creative endeavor, there is
Andrew
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed, business
This is a decent overview of how to design a product with the consumer in mind. The authors don't clearly define "design thinking" but I think that's what they mean.

The authors provide a nine-step path for product development, from putting yourself in the customer's shoes to a soft launch of your product. They ask four questions along the way - what is (problem statement), what if, what wows, and what works? It seems like pretty reasonable stuff.

I finished the book without any strong takeaways.
Tommy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
I want to like design books so badly, but I am having a hard time. This book started off strong by describing design thinking, but got really prescriptive, really fast. In retrospect, I'm having a hard time picking out novel and useful concepts differing from AGILE thinking and Lean Startup methodology.

I do think there are a few concepts in this book--a few tools rather--that I may revisit.
George Velez
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whoa! What a deep study of a cohesive way to structure growth with a design basis. This is the perfect framework and set of tools any leader seeking true scalable growth should be using. Wonderful information and so creatively exposed. Loved the images and colors and the way the information was displayed on the pages.
Jeffrey
Read this as a supplement to the MOOC run out of Darden. The subject matter was great, and the format helped with placing the learning into action. I felt there were too many stories, and many of them unqualified, and uninteresting.
Shrikant Navelkar
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, management
Excellent primer for your first "dive in" in Design Thinking concepts. The book scores high because it is based on successful case studies of Design Thinking. I am sure you will be able to relate at least one of them with your problem.
Partha
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recommend that this book be read right after Tim Brown's 'Change by design'. When observed together they form a strong base for design thinking driven work. By itself this book is direct and crisp to follow.
Deborah
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: it-business
Good supplement to an online course. This is just an introduction to the subject. But it does have some pointers and some tings I could try now at work. The authors suggest you start small until you get familiar with the process.
Juan Manuel Vera
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good, very complete

This really is an excellent book. You can learn from source of design thinking. The tools are very well explained, the home exercises help you to better understanding of concepts. I really enjoy the actual stories about design thinking implementation.
Satyajit Lele
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book, even if you don’t have intentions of doing design thinking, the book offers quite a lot of useful tools and techniques which we can use in our professions. You need not be working on a life changing project, the tools and techniques are pretty much practical and useful even on a routine project.
Anu George
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
some good tools on how to practice design thinking. Also liked the model of Design for Growth .. what is, what if, what wows, what now
Sertac
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are very useful tools and tips for managers and designers who want to establish better relationships with managements, clients.
Natalia Rox
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little dry, but the concepts are so important. Glad I read it .
Ashraf Helal
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A simple/rich read for people interested in design thinking approach
Cliff Mccollum
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
I couldn’t finish this. Perhaps I’ve already read too many books on this topic, but the material was trivial and pedantic. Perhaps if the ideas are all new to you this would be much better.
Fred Zimny
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My rating

4,5 on a scale 0-5.

For me it was Roger Martin who outlined the importance of embedding design thinking in my role as operational manager. Up to then, it was not my league to unleash creative innovation and growth from a designers perspective. After reading this book, I also realized that as operational manager or progam/project manager I have been practicing design thinking (as outlined in this book) all along.

The authors outline a new managerial approach and claim to assemble a new too
Synexe
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
THE MAIN IDEA

This book is a ‘one-stop’ tool kit for managers wanting to utilize design and design-thinking in their work. From visualization strategies all the way through to product launch the book provides a how-to guide and associated frameworks and tools to help managers incorporate design thinking into all stages of their business operations.

INTERESTING TIDBIT

“Designing for Growth” was awarded 2011 Best Business Book for Management by 800-CEO-READ.

WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW

Design thi
Dennis Deery
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good introduction to applying design thinking principles to business. While it's focused mainly on business growth, I think it can easily be applied to any facet of business.

Design thinking entails a set of skills different than what most business people use on a daily basis. The authors lay out an easy-to-follow set of steps that can be applied to any business problem. The steps walk the users through soliciting ideas from a wide-ranging group of people and using those ideas as
Nicholas
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Awesome book, the authors really break down the steps of Design Thinking and emphasize the importance of starting with human needs (which is what other books miss) A lot of books talk about the value of having a 'Massive Idea' or starting by 'Thinking Big' but this book shows that it's better to start small and find a deep underlying human need to connect with and that you should observe current reality (What is) and focus on meeting genuine human needs. Which means so much.

I can tell the author
Christophe Addinquy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: agile, requirements
There is not so many books out there about Design Thinking. On the "plus side" of this one, there is a Coursera training course following the approach of the text. The book was for me a supporting material for the course. The author proposes a clear framework on top of the Design Thinking philosophy, which could save the beginner's day. However, the whole book misses a running example to make the text less abstract.
Ma note de lecture en Français ici
Fred Rose
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
While this book doesn't break any new ground, if you have any experience with design/design thinking, it is a nice book for the non-designer and especially for the corporate manager. It's really written for that audience and covers the spectrum of using design thinking from early visualization through to prototype/pilot design. It of course has its own process (all consultants do) but it makes sense and could be fit into a corporate process fairly easily. Overall a well written book and if you a ...more
Beth
Jul 07, 2011 marked it as reviews
Shelves: blog-review
Originally published at BethsBookReviews.com

This is certainly a book for business people, as in this was not light reading. Even with lots of sidebars, case studies and illustrations to explain the material this was still a chore to slog through. That said, if you can get through it the information is valuable and relevant to today's marketplace. The authors clearly know their topic and how to best present it to their target audience.
Carla
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book! I wanted to read more about Design thinking and a more practical, how-to book. This book is aimed at managers, not at designers, so was exactly what I was looking for. I almost read it in one stretch, but will certainly come back to use one of the tools described. Most tools I knew, but this book put them all together. Highly recommended for any manager wanting to integrate design to the business.
Eduardo
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I must to admit I was a little skeptical about this reading due to some former readings I found too much hype and not so practical, but, this one was really very entertaining, practical and straight to the point.

So, If you´re are manager and practical thinker looking for some clear introduction to the Design Thinking topic this book is for you.
Liz Giel
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great book for managers who are interested in applying the principles of design to their organization and fueling innovation. At times the chapters get long and convoluted, especially near the end, but it will serve as a good resource after the fact for anyone who hopes to bring design thinking to their organization. Solid practical advice for those new to the practice.

• Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Business Model Generation
  • The Ten Faces of Innovation: IDEO's Strategies for Defeating the Devil's Advocate and Driving Creativity Throughout Your Organization
  • Ten Types of Innovation: The Discipline of Building Breakthroughs
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
  • This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services
  • 101 Design Methods: A Structured Approach for Driving Innovation in Your Organization
  • Business Model You: A One-Page Method for Reinventing Your Career
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
  • Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration
ِAn American strategist and professor of business administration at the Darden School of the University of Virginia, particularly known for her work on strategic thinking, design thinking and organic growth.

News & Interviews

“Observing, it turns out, does more than activate our visual perceptions; observed actions are mapped onto our motor systems. So if you are watching someone hitting a baseball, you're actually practicing your swing in your head. You are working all the neurological connections that you need to actually stand up and swing the bat. And so seeing can be a powerful enabler of doing (as well as a powerful enabler of empathy).” 2 likes
“Storytelling is the difference between solving a problem and creating a cause. Lists solve a problem: Here's an issue we face, let's create a pro and con list about how to solve it and then pick the best option. A cause is something that ignites people and unites people. That is what a good story does: It creates a cause.” 1 likes