Start by marking “Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers” as Want to Read:
Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers

Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers

Jeanne Liedtka and Tim Ogilvie educate readers in one of the hottest trends in business: "design thinking," or the ability to turn abstract ideas into practical applications for maximal business growth. Liedtka and Ogilvie cover the mind-set, techniques, and vocabulary of design thinking, unpack the mysterious connection between design and growth, and teach managers in a s ...more
Published June 2nd 2011 by Columbia Business School Publishing (first published May 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Designing for Growth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Designing for Growth

Aaron Bolin
My expectations for this book were quite high -- I wanted the promised thinking tool kit for managers in a fun-to-read package as advertised in the book title.

I was a little disappointed. It is a good read, and the authors did a nice job of making the book visually compelling. I was disappointed in the depth of the content though. The authors presented what I felt was a very surface-level explanation of the design process. The primary "tool" was a phased approach to design that separated creativ
Neda
طراحی، اوج هنر ذهن است. ذهنی که طراحی می کند یعنی از هیچ، چیزی می سازد. و طراح کسی ست که قدرت خلق دارد و از خلق کردن، لذت می برد.
تفکر طراحی، تکنیک نیست، روش هم نیست بلکه مهارت ذهنی است. ذهنی که قابلیت طراحی دارد می تواند میان پدیده ها ارتباط برقرار کند، نظم بدهد، پدیدههای جدید را تصور کند و فضاهای خالی ذهن را پر کند، خود را به جای دیگران قرار دهد و از منظر آنها پدیده ها را مشاهده کند، از خود منتزع شود، طرح بزند و بسازد. از متن کتاب

من طراح ام.
Pradyot
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a former management consultant, my dominant thinking is left-brained, linear, and very structured. However, through a 7+ year career post MBA, I found that I was weak when it came to generating creative yet business value generating ideas. I took up Prof. Liedtka's Coursera class on Design Thinking to supplement my arsenal of skills and found the design thinking approach in this book to be a great complement to my existing skill set.

The book is simple to read and understand; plenty of illust
Maria
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
ну наконец-то я тебя закончила, Откровение Капитана Очевидности

мусолила месяц, отлынивала и перепрыгивала через страницы. отметила закладками три места в книге - и это всё, что в принципе стоило бы читать (там были пошаговые инструкции некоторых процессов). всё остальное - вода, констатация общеизвестного, скучные до слёз примеры и рассусоливание. местами казалось, что авторы пишут для умственно отсталых. впрочем, знаю много менеджеров, у которых интеллектуальное развитие на уровне умственно отс
Michele
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this book for my online Design thinking class, am learning a lot from the course and forum thread discussions.
Christopher Willey
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of the first book recommendations from the Singularity University that I actually jumped on. Of course, I’m super late to this party. Turns out my colleagues in Design and Visual Communication have been teaching whole courses on this topic.

That said, it has been a minute since I finished this book, and I am ALREADY adopting techniques and behaviors the book relates and it all starts with these four questions:
What is?
What if?
What wows?
What works?

These are convergent divergent an
Brendan
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
Great primer on design thinking

If you look up design thinking on Google images, you'll see something with a bunch of hexagons or circles that each represent a step in the process. That part is pretty easy to find. The not so easy part to find is what each of those steps consist of. This book will help fill that void, and will provide some tools you can use to complete each of the steps of the design thinking process. I use the word process loosely, because as with any creative endeavor, there is
Thom Carey
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
I want to like design books so badly, but I am having a hard time. This book started off strong by describing design thinking, but got really prescriptive, really fast. In retrospect, I'm having a hard time picking out novel and useful concepts differing from AGILE thinking and Lean Startup methodology.

I do think there are a few concepts in this book--a few tools rather--that I may revisit.
Farhad Azadjoo
كتاب تفكر طراحي در كسب و كار براي من مثل كتاب هاي برايان تريسي بود. يك فضاي فكري رو ترسيم ميكرد و به تحليل فوايد اون مي پرداخت. پياده سازي بعضي از اون گفته ها در كسب و كار در ايران سخت هست. ولي نكته جالب براي من اين بود كه تو شركت هاي چابك نا خودآگاه ميزاني از تفكر طراحي وجود دارد.
اين كتاب رو به كساني كه فراغت دارند و زمان كافي پيشنهاد ميكنم. ولي انتظار مطالب طلايي از كتاب نداشته باشين
Nikki Baker
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
My team read this as a book study. Talking it through with colleagues helped us all make more educational connections. I love the premise of approaching problems from the design persective as "mysteries" rather than "puzzles".
Partha
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recommend that this book be read right after Tim Brown's 'Change by design'. When observed together they form a strong base for design thinking driven work. By itself this book is direct and crisp to follow.
Jeffrey
Read this as a supplement to the MOOC run out of Darden. The subject matter was great, and the format helped with placing the learning into action. I felt there were too many stories, and many of them unqualified, and uninteresting.
Shrikant Navelkar
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, management
Excellent primer for your first "dive in" in Design Thinking concepts. The book scores high because it is based on successful case studies of Design Thinking. I am sure you will be able to relate at least one of them with your problem.
Anu George
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
some good tools on how to practice design thinking. Also liked the model of Design for Growth .. what is, what if, what wows, what now
Sertac
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are very useful tools and tips for managers and designers who want to establish better relationships with managements, clients.
Natalia Rox
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A little dry, but the concepts are so important. Glad I read it .
Fred Zimny
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My rating

4,5 on a scale 0-5.

For me it was Roger Martin who outlined the importance of embedding design thinking in my role as operational manager. Up to then, it was not my league to unleash creative innovation and growth from a designers perspective. After reading this book, I also realized that as operational manager or progam/project manager I have been practicing design thinking (as outlined in this book) all along.

The authors outline a new managerial approach and claim to assemble a new too
Synexe
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
THE MAIN IDEA

This book is a ‘one-stop’ tool kit for managers wanting to utilize design and design-thinking in their work. From visualization strategies all the way through to product launch the book provides a how-to guide and associated frameworks and tools to help managers incorporate design thinking into all stages of their business operations.

INTERESTING TIDBIT

“Designing for Growth” was awarded 2011 Best Business Book for Management by 800-CEO-READ.

WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW

Design thi
Dennis Deery
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good introduction to applying design thinking principles to business. While it's focused mainly on business growth, I think it can easily be applied to any facet of business.

Design thinking entails a set of skills different than what most business people use on a daily basis. The authors lay out an easy-to-follow set of steps that can be applied to any business problem. The steps walk the users through soliciting ideas from a wide-ranging group of people and using those ideas as
Nicholas
Apr 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Awesome book, the authors really break down the steps of Design Thinking and emphasize the importance of starting with human needs (which is what other books miss) A lot of books talk about the value of having a 'Massive Idea' or starting by 'Thinking Big' but this book shows that it's better to start small and find a deep underlying human need to connect with and that you should observe current reality (What is) and focus on meeting genuine human needs. Which means so much.

I can tell the author
Christophe Addinquy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: requirements, agile
There is not so many books out there about Design Thinking. On the "plus side" of this one, there is a Coursera training course following the approach of the text. The book was for me a supporting material for the course. The author proposes a clear framework on top of the Design Thinking philosophy, which could save the beginner's day. However, the whole book misses a running example to make the text less abstract.
Ma note de lecture en Français ici
Fred Rose
Sep 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
While this book doesn't break any new ground, if you have any experience with design/design thinking, it is a nice book for the non-designer and especially for the corporate manager. It's really written for that audience and covers the spectrum of using design thinking from early visualization through to prototype/pilot design. It of course has its own process (all consultants do) but it makes sense and could be fit into a corporate process fairly easily. Overall a well written book and if you a ...more
Sandra
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to design thinking for managers or anyone a bit uncomfortable or new to the concepts of design thinking. The authors make a solid argument for design thinking vs. business thinking while being honest with its faults.

The authors equip readers with 10 tools for the design process. Throughout, the authors provide real examples to illustrate the process with testimonials and quotes from people. The authors also give handy sample letters, forms, plans and agendas and plenty of t
Beth
Jul 07, 2011 marked it as reviews
Shelves: blog-review
Originally published at BethsBookReviews.com

This is certainly a book for business people, as in this was not light reading. Even with lots of sidebars, case studies and illustrations to explain the material this was still a chore to slog through. That said, if you can get through it the information is valuable and relevant to today's marketplace. The authors clearly know their topic and how to best present it to their target audience.
Carla
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great book! I wanted to read more about Design thinking and a more practical, how-to book. This book is aimed at managers, not at designers, so was exactly what I was looking for. I almost read it in one stretch, but will certainly come back to use one of the tools described. Most tools I knew, but this book put them all together. Highly recommended for any manager wanting to integrate design to the business.
Liz Giel
May 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great book for managers who are interested in applying the principles of design to their organization and fueling innovation. At times the chapters get long and convoluted, especially near the end, but it will serve as a good resource after the fact for anyone who hopes to bring design thinking to their organization. Solid practical advice for those new to the practice.
Eduardo
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I must to admit I was a little skeptical about this reading due to some former readings I found too much hype and not so practical, but, this one was really very entertaining, practical and straight to the point.

So, If youre are manager and practical thinker looking for some clear introduction to the Design Thinking topic this book is for you.
Gabriel
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Esperava mais, apesar do livro trazer ferramentas interessantes. Ela trás o design thinking muito como uma sequência de passos. Eu vejo ele mais como um processo iterativo. O curso online da autora foi mais interessante que o livro.
A tradução da HSM para o português decepcionou. Talvez a versão em inglês valesse 4 estrelas.
Olivia Gutierrez
Easy to apply techniques and exercises. Clearly outlines the common inaccurate assumptions made in traditional business thinking. Lacks depth for those already familiar with human-centered design approaches. Would probably recommend this to someone with little to no experience or the skeptics.
Ben Love
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm searching high and low for great references and there just aren't any. This comes closest so far, but it really fails to capture the emotive and human-centric qualities of Design Thinking methodologies. Perhaps more technical and formulaic than it should be.
  • Design Thinking: Integrating Innovation, Customer Experience, and Brand Value
  • This is Service Design Thinking: Basics – Tools – Cases
  • 101 Design Methods: A Structured Approach for Driving Innovation in Your Organization
  • The Design of Business: Why Design Thinking is the Next Competitive Advantage
  • Design Driven Innovation: Changing the Rules of Competition by Radically Innovating What Things Mean
  • Design Thinking for Strategic Innovation: What They Can't Teach You at Business or Design School
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • Make Space: How to Set the Stage for Creative Collaboration
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • Make It So: Interaction Design Lessons From Science Fiction
  • Ten Types of Innovation: The Discipline of Building Breakthroughs
  • Designing Visual Interfaces: Communication Oriented Techniques
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services
  • A Fine Line: How Design Strategies Are Shaping the Future of Business
  • The Connected Company
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: How to Create Extraordinary Products for Tomorrow's Customers
ِAn American strategist and professor of business administration at the Darden School of the University of Virginia, particularly known for her work on strategic thinking, design thinking and organic growth.
“Observing, it turns out, does more than activate our visual perceptions; observed actions are mapped onto our motor systems. So if you are watching someone hitting a baseball, you're actually practicing your swing in your head. You are working all the neurological connections that you need to actually stand up and swing the bat. And so seeing can be a powerful enabler of doing (as well as a powerful enabler of empathy).” 2 likes
“Storytelling is the difference between solving a problem and creating a cause. Lists solve a problem: Here's an issue we face, let's create a pro and con list about how to solve it and then pick the best option. A cause is something that ignites people and unites people. That is what a good story does: It creates a cause.” 1 likes