Start by marking “A Midsummer Night's Dream” as Want to Read:
A Midsummer Night's Dream

Read Book* *Different edition

A Midsummer Night's Dream

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  442,896 ratings  ·  8,121 reviews
Wordsworth Classics covers a huge list of beloved works of literature in English and translations. This growing series is rigorously updated, with scholarly introductions and notes added to new titles.
Mass Market Paperback, 120 pages
Published 2002 by Wordsworth Editions Limited (first published 1595)

To ask other readers questions about A Midsummer Night's Dream, please sign up.
xX_Cain_Xx Cause that's how books are made, they have pages.
emma zackarinaliest Various people fall in love in an eventful night in a forest near Athen but not all of them fall for the right person due to some misconceptions and a…moreVarious people fall in love in an eventful night in a forest near Athen but not all of them fall for the right person due to some misconceptions and an elve's mistakes...(less)

·  442,896 ratings  ·  8,121 reviews

Start your review of A Midsummer Night's Dream
Madeline
A Midsummer Night's Dream, abridged.

DEMETRIUS: I love Hermia!

LYSANDER: Shut up, I love her MORE. Anyway, you already hooked up with Helena.

DEMETRIUS: Who?

HERMIA: I want to marry Lysander but I'm already engaged to Demetrius and he won't leave me alone! Two hot boys are in love with me, WHY IS MY LIFE SO HARD?

HELENA: FUCK. YOU. ALL.

TITANIA: Hey Oberon, I got a new Indian baby from one of my dead servants.

OBERON: I want that kid - hand it over, or I'll punish you with bestiality.

PUCK: Holy shi
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Shakespeare

A Midsummer Night's Dream is a comedy written by William Shakespeare in 1595/96.

It portrays the events surrounding the marriage of Theseus, the Duke of Athens, to Hippolyta, the former queen of the Amazons.

These include the adventures of four young Athenian lovers and a group of six amateur actors (the mechanical's) who are controlled and manipulated by the fairies who inhabit the forest in which most of the play is set.

The play is one of Shakespe
Bill Kerwin

Re-reading the play this time, I couldn't stop thinking of of The Magic Flute.

Like Mozart's opera, Shakespeare's play may have a silly plot composed of fanciful, seemingly arbitrary elements, yet, through the power of absolute artistic mastery, the framework of what might otherwise be nothing but a second-rate masque is transformed, by the unwearied attention of genius--and in Shakespeare's case, sublime poetry--into a work of great resonance, an archetypal myth.
jessica
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
how to flirt, shakespeare style, a midsummer nights dream edition:
- elope with your love in a fairy wood

- follow your friends into the fairy wood with your ex-fiancé, who you still pine over even though he loves another woman

- become entranced by magic flower juice and chase after the wrong girl until you fall over with exhaustion

- call your girl an acorn

- realise your ex-fiancé is truly the one you love, even though you ditched her once you got to the woods

- have a double wedding with your love
İntellecta
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
"Ein Sommernachtstraum"is one of the top references as a classic. In the beginning, it is difficult to get there, but once you get used to the style, it is quite an entertaining, beautiful and confused story about the back and forth of the love affair. A must for interested in Shakespear and theater.
Ahmed  Ejaz
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, full-lengths
“Lord, what fools these mortals be!”
I became a fan of plays when I read a few of them in my English book. They were very good. I liked them. Ever since I wanted to read more of them and of course when I searched for them, Shakespeare’s name was on top.

A while ago I was afraid of reading them because of the classical English. But few days ago, I thought to try them and will use Google as a guide. And now I can’t explain how much happy I’m right now... Even though I faced difficulty
James
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to A Midsummer Night's Dream, a comedy written in 1595 by William Shakespeare. What a fun read! I first read this in high school and then again in college as part of a course on Shakespeare. Then I watched a few movie versions. It's full of so much humor and creativity. The plot is essentially the impacts of magic, as some fairy dust causes everyone to fall in love with the first person they see -- once the dust falls on them. Imagine the hilarity that ens
Henry Avila
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Shakespeare's most popular comic plays though a figment of the imagination an illusion, a delusion in actuality that's the pity... such a delectable world to inhabit. Essentially a love story between two couples, a thin plot device in a mythical Athens which never was . Lysander loves his girlfriend Hermia (they want to marry). However her father Egeus, does not consent, prefers the groom to be more prominent admittedly a common story. Threatening Hermia with death or being forced to beco ...more
Calista
My Favorite Play!

After reading all Shakespeare plays, I wonder why schools focus so much on the tragedies and not so much on the comedies. We were never assigned a comedy to read in school, but to me, this is by far Shakes' best play, hands down. I'll take this over Hamlet, Macbeth or Romeo.

I love the Puck and he has so many great lines in the stories. This work gives me life. I have seen several movie versions of this, but I haven't seen the play in person - bucket list.

One of my favorite quot
Elle (ellexamines)
“Though she be but little, she is fierce!”

A Midsummer Night’s Dream is Shakespeare’s funniest comedy, honestly. When a couple tries to run away, they get followed by a man in love with them, and then by a woman in love with him. And a fairy fucking around makes it all go to shit. As you do!

This play is probably funniest because of its excellent set of characters, including:
✔Hermia – is 4’9” and could kick your ass. runs a feminist blog
✔Lysander – is so beautiful and so, so useless
✔H
Riku Sayuj

Man, being reasonable, must get drunk;

The best of life is but intoxication:

Glory, the grape, love, gold, in these are sunk

The hopes of all men and of every nation;

Without their sap, how branchless were the trunk

Of life's strange tree, so fruitful on occasion:

But to return,—Get very drunk; and when

You wake with headache, you shall see what then.

~ Lord Byron, Don Juan, Canto II, Stanza 179.

If we offend, it is with our good will.

That you should think, we come not to offend,

But with good will. To sh
emma
mini-review, as I do for classics:
this was my first time reading Shakespeare on my own, and I kind of...saw that as a negative. I like discussing Shakespeare in a classroom setting, and being motivated to mark up the text and otherwise process it fully. I felt like I missed out on stuff here.
also, this play felt so short. maybe it's my edition's fault, for being 111 pages. maybe it's how abrupt the ending was (which is very). or how flat the characters were, or how there were a sh*t ton of them.
Rachel Feryus
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m glad I decided to do a reread of this.. I always thought this play was a lot of fun, and who doesn’t love some Fae trickery and drama?
Ted
3 1/2 stars
3 3/4
Upped the rating when I realized that I'd given 3 1/2 to King John, Pericles, and The Taming of the Shrew

Been a while since I've visited this review. This play was the first I read in a project to read all the Bard's plays before I kicked the proverbial bucket wherever you're supposed to kick it. I'm probably behind on this goal by now (of reading/reviewing four plays a year). Ah well.

There are multitudes of rather innocuous comments inside this spoiler. It can safely be skip
Kat Kennedy
It's still as awesome as I remember. Though, unfortunately, causes me some initial irritation with The Iron King.

Robbie Goodfellow is a wicked spirit running around having fun and pulling ridiculous pranks. He's not a serious teenage boy who is dramatic and suspenseful or mysterious or sexy.

Why do we have to turn everything into sexy these days? Why does every male character have to suddenly fit the romantic male archetype?

Why are mythological creatures becoming obsessed with teenage girls?
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

I’m sure there’s some keyboard commando all primed and ready just waiting for a chance to chime in about how “this isn’t Facebook” or “talk about books and don’t post stupid pictures.” To him/her/them I shall quote ol’ Bill himself and say . . . .

Fucketh off with thee!

Because I have read A Midsummer Night’s Dream and I’ve read it more than once. Originally I read it back in the stone age as a high schooler who opted for additional
Whitney Atkinson
if i had a professor who actually talked about this and made it interesting then im sure i wouldve liked it more but i was just like ?????????
Bionic Jean
"The course of true love never did run smooth;" is a famous, often-quoted line - a truism throughout all ages and cultures. Where does it come from? It is spoken by a character called Lysander, in Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream, and articulates possibly the play's most important theme.

A Midsummer Night's Dream is a fanciful tale, full of poetry and beautiful imagery, such as,

"I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows,
Quite over-canopied with
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Such a fun, whimsical, hilarious play full of meddling characters, mix ups, and clueless clowns who made me chuckle openly and scream when mischief ensued. I can’t believe it took me this long to read this play!
Piyangie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most hilarious comedies of Shakespeare that I have read, even funnier than A Comedy of Errors . Combining fantasy and reality and setting in Athens at the time of the wedding of the Duke of Athens, Theseus to Hippolyta, the Queen of Amazon, the play revolves around the adventures of the four young Athenian lovers, a group of performers who plan to put on a play for the wedding of the Duke and the Queen, and the meddling acts of fairies, especially those of the Fairy King's th ...more
Emma
Aug 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"And with her height, forsooth, she hath prevailed with him.
How low am I? I am not yet so low
But that my nails can reach unto thine eyes."
i felt that Hermia
Manuel Antão
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

The Physics of the Impossible: "A Midsummer Night's Dream" by William Shakespeare, Burton Raffel, Harold Bloom

I have had a most rare vision. I have had a dream, past the
wit of man to say what dream it was. Man is but an ass, if
he go about to expound this dream. Methought I was—
there is no man can tell what. Methought I was—and
methought I had—but man is but a patch’d fool, if he
will offer to say what methought I had. The eye of man
hath
mayy
"Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind"

I love this play so much. I love William Shakespeare more than life itself.

Going into this I knew that 'A Midsummer Night’s Dream' was going to be a little bit different from the other Shakespeare plays I’ve read. It had a lot fantasy aspects to it and a interesting combination between a comedy and a drama. It worked really well and made the whole play confusing in a good way, if that makes sense.

Somethi
Geoff
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The moon methinks looks with a wat’ry eye;
And when she weeps, weeps every little flower”

(Titania)

Tomorrow night, when Phoebe doth behold
Her silver visage in the watery glass,
Decking with liquid pearl the bladed grass.

So quick bright things come to confusion
(Lysander)

Night and the ocean are the depthless things of the earth, where bright things come to confusion, become “undistinguishable, Like far-off mountains turned to clouds”. The unconscious, the sleep-world, the dream-world. Everywhere thro
Josh Caporale

Sometimes, I feel that I just do not get Shakespeare! This particular explanation, for its face value, is neutral in its tone and execution, for this play is so absurd, but it almost seems like it is trying to be as such. While Shakespeare has been known to borrow his plots, I would say that his tragedies are better than his comedies in the way that the elements to his tragedies are a bit more original (or is it the fact that we have seen elements of his comedies time and time again). I
Candace Robinson
I can’t do it! This has nothing to do with Shakespeare or his lovely writing. I just can’t ever understand it! I think if I were to watch the movie and see a visual I would know what was going on!!
myo 🍒 (myonna reads)
omg this book was so messy and funny!! i’m so happy i got the modern text because i sped right through this
Jason
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, for-kindle, 2014
Aww, this is a cute little play.

Which is a pretty condescending thing to say about a work of Shakespeare, right? Except it’s true! A Midsummer Night’s Dream is an aDORable piece of literature with elves and fairies and potions and magic—not something I typically go for, and a definite far cry from his more serious tragedies. In this play, a woman suffers whose love for her man lies in contrast to her father’s wishes, he having already promised his daughter’s hand to another, and if she refuses t
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
Just saw a performance of this and it has me all nostalgic. This has meddling fairies, ridiculous lovers and a donkey named Bottom. What's not to love?

Also fun fact, I played Titania once. I was volunteering as a stage hand when then original chick who was cast dropped out and so did her understudy and there I was organizing props back stage. (Was this my Disney-channel moment? Did I miss my cue??)

Oh yeah, it was also a Jersey Shore remix for some reason. ("A Midsummer Jersey" iirc)

So to this
Gary
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best film version is the RWC 1968 one. My favourite character being the beautiful Diana Rigg as Helena bur Judy Dench as Titania was also gorgeous! Ian Holm played a delightful Puck and Helen Mirren made a cute Hermia. And those little children who played the fairies - absolutely adorable.
Keto XP - Burn Your Fat Faster 1 2 Oct 27, 2020 04:40AM
Chiave di Lettura: Il sogno d'una notte di mezza estate 1 1 Oct 05, 2020 10:05AM
2020 Shakespeare ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. General Discussion 3 16 Jan 29, 2020 06:36PM
2020 Shakespeare ...: First Impressions on the Book 4 15 Dec 31, 2019 07:23AM
James Mustich's 1...: A Midsummer Night's Dream - December 2019 7 10 Dec 28, 2019 12:59AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add missing cover 2 225 Jun 24, 2019 06:57PM
Goodreads Librari...: Page count correction/clarification 8 17 Jun 05, 2019 11:38PM

• The Crucible
  • The Canterbury Tales
  • Beowulf
  • The Odyssey
  • The Iliad
  • The Importance of Being Earnest
  • The Scarlet Letter
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • Oedipus Rex  (The Theban Plays, #1)
  • A Christmas Carol
  • The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings
  • Oliver Twist
  • Antigone (The Theban Plays, #3)
  • Frankenstein: The 1818 Text
  • A Streetcar Named Desire
  • Great Expectations
  • Dr. Faustus
  • Romeo and Juliet
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more