Start by marking “Buffettology: The Previously Unexplained Techniques That Have Made Warren Buffett the World's Most Famous Investor ” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  1,755 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
In the world of investing, the name Warren Buffett is synonymous with success and prosperity. Learn how Warren Buffett did it—and how you can too.

Building from the ground up, Buffett chose wisely and picked his stocks with care, in turn amassing the huge fortune for which he is now famous. Mary Buffett, former daughter-in-law of this legendary financial genius and a succes
Published June 8th 1999 by Scribner (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Buffettology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buffettology

David Sarkies
Jul 23, 2011 David Sarkies rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People interested in finance
Recommended to David by: Morgan
Shelves: how-to
A beginners guide to value investing
21 April 2014

I just clicked on Mary Buffett's name on Goodreads and discovered that she is actually the author of quite a large number of books, and each of those books has the name 'Warren Buffett' somewhere in the title (though in reality there are only four books). To be honest with you I am not really sure who Mary Buffett is because she is not one of Warren's children, nor is she his ex-wife (who is dead, by the way) but from what I can remember when I r
Darius
Nov 22, 2012 Darius rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
I figure the only reason it sells is that people like me are curious if the author -- being Buffett's daughter-in-law -- can provide insights not available elsewhere. In this regard, and almost every other, the book was a miserable failure. All the true advice in the book is pretty obvious and better available elsewhere.
Rahul Bohara
Jul 21, 2011 Rahul Bohara rated it it was amazing
After Intelligent Investor, The best book i have read so far on value investing.
Adam
Dec 31, 2015 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: investing
If you are looking for some ground-breaking Buffett investment revelation in this book, you'll be disappointed. But if you follow Warren Buffett, then you know that very little of his investment philosophy is truly ground-breaking, but that's the point. It's simple, but difficult to apply.

What you will find in this book is what I have found to be difficult to find elsewhere. This book essentially combines the qualitative investment philosophy that Warren talks about a great deal about publicly w
Alvin Lim
Sep 05, 2012 Alvin Lim rated it really liked it
Shelves: investing-books
Buffettology is the first book from someone who, thanks to personal and professional access to Warren Buffett, has been uniquely positioned to learn from the master. Mary Buffett had the privilege -- during her twelve years as his daughter-in-law -- of sharing some of this very private genius's informal discussions of his investing philosophy, and now she shares some of her invaluable observations with us.
This breakthrough book offers a full-blown explanation of how Buffett uses Business Perspe
Bill
Aug 28, 2013 Bill rated it it was ok
Very poorly written overall. Perhaps the most annoying tic is to ascribe Corporate Finance 101 ideas to Mr. Buffett. This would be like a book about a physicist, let's call him Mr. Smith, believing in gravity. "Mr. smith believes that gravity is a force that attracts objects in relation to their mass." the key ideas of the book are merely asserted, backed up with one example or anecdotes. Contradictory ideas are not explained.
Sharang Limaye
Jul 09, 2014 Sharang Limaye rated it liked it
There's nothing groundbreaking here. It works more as a primer for economics at large and the stock market in particular. The later half of the book is full of mathematical equations, designed to help wannabe Buffetts in making sound stock-buying calls. For the casual reader though, its the first half which is interesting as it provides an insight into the mind of the world's most successful investor.
Branden
Jul 16, 2010 Branden rated it it was amazing
Everyone in America should read the first 190 pages of this book before they invest their first penny in stocks/mutual funds or consider contributing to a 401(k).
Tim Carter
Dec 30, 2013 Tim Carter rated it it was ok
I have a different edition. Well, what can I say. I'd say it clearly is the work of an ex family member, trying hard...
Jonathan Perez
Mar 28, 2015 Jonathan Perez rated it really liked it
I picked up this little book Buffettology last year in early 2016. At the time I had probably already passed the 30+ mark for the number of books I had read about value investing. Once you’ve read Hagstrom, Lowenstein, Graham, Greenblatt, Janet Lowe, Schroders, you pretty much know what that is all about.

I had also read by then a couple of other books from Mary Buffett (The Oracle’s ex-daughter in law, his son’s Peter ex-wife). She wrote several. This one will remind you, that when buying great
Maarten Koller
Dec 15, 2012 Maarten Koller rated it liked it
There are some good points in this book, like not forgetting about taxes and inflation, which most people do not consider in their calculations when determining if they made a profit. But there are also some misses. I read the dutch translation which was sloppy here and there and I don't know if the original has the same problems. The greatest flaw in my opinion was that some of the calculations are repeated a few times too many and also that the formula's aren't provided.

I liked it but would on
Robert Henrich
May 21, 2013 Robert Henrich rated it liked it
The thing about reading an investing-oriented book 15 years after it was published is that you can judge the projections and assumptions made in the book. Buffetology was generally a decent book, but many of the suggestions and insights are overly simplistic and could have led to disasterous results over the last decade (suggesting investments in Bear Stearns and Freddie Mac). Additionally, I did not particularly care for the informal, peppy tone of the authors. I have the distinct feeling that ...more
Douglass Gaking
Nov 25, 2016 Douglass Gaking rated it really liked it
There are plenty of books about Warren Buffett available at any bookstore or library. What makes this one unique is that it is not written from the perspective of Warren Buffett's cult following. After her divorce with Warren Buffett's son, Mary Buffett capitalized on a rare opportunity to publish insider information about one of the richest people in the world and his investment strategies. Rather than quote Warren Buffett's shareholder letters to death like most authors, Mary sticks to the det ...more
Tenio Latev
Jan 16, 2013 Tenio Latev rated it it was amazing
tenio latev
a quick and good read about buy and hold strategy.. unfortunatelly the world does not work like that anymore. warren buffet made his fortune in the 25 year long super bull market.. we live in a diffrent world today where we see highly volatile markets going sidewards for years and years.. the rules of the game have changed and so did the players.. warren buffedt is a great value investor and his success will be never reached again by any one who tries his value investment approach.
Christian
Jan 07, 2011 Christian rated it really liked it
Intro to discounted price of future earnings. I've applied the formulas to several large cap stocks in a fantasy portfolio. My performance currently matches the S&P 500 pretty closely (including brokerage fees) but a lot of my success is due to one speculative stock that I could barely justify using the recommendations in this book.

Earnings are only part of the picture in stock valuation. There are million other Warren wannabes out there that also have a big say in what a stock is worth.
pavana Kumar Varanasi
Its a good book (only for starters). This explains basic compounding and the importance of role played by ROE in an investment decision etc. However its a part of the puzzle of picking stocks. Don't think that you can pick stocks like buffet by reading this. Its just a small part. There is a lot more to it.
Krishna
Mar 27, 2015 Krishna rated it really liked it
A good book on how the legendary investor Warren Buffet plans his investments (which made him the 2nd richest person on planet), with heavy mathematical tools to identify good business opportunities, which seperates the good investments from the best or once in a life time investments. Author tried a lot to keep the book from being too technical and tried to make it interesting with numbers.
Gabriel
Una visión muy diferente sobre la inversión en acciones. Explica como invertir con éxito desde una perspectiva responsable, evitando la especulación.
Considero a este libro como un puntapié inicial y motivador para iniciarse en las inversiones, pero la formación adquirida es muy básica como para lanzarse al mercado. Muy recomendable.
Muy recomendable.
Mike
Apr 23, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it
If you are interested in investing in stocks, read this book. It teaches you some very important concepts that you will want to know before you put one single dollar down on any stock.

Well worth the read.

Obviously, this is not a novel, and likely not at all interested if not investing in stocks.
Jay
May 29, 2008 Jay rated it really liked it
If you are curious as to how the world's richest man did it, READ this book.

For all stock investors out there who are wondering how after giving away almost all of his wealth a few years back, Warren managed to overtake Bill gates as the man with the most wealth in this planet. That's quite a feat if you ask me! Well, don't ask me. Just read and learn my friend.
Ryotaro Nagasawa
Feb 28, 2016 Ryotaro Nagasawa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just skimmed through for the first time reading. Will dig into deeper next time. The "Buffet way" would help if you can pick up the next "Coke" like stock, but I'm not really sure that this type of screening really works as shown in the book. I'd say all the examples are hindsight of what Buffer did but none of the authors.
Lucas Remmerswaal
Sep 05, 2011 Lucas Remmerswaal rated it it was amazing
This is the first book on Buffett that I read, it is highly educational, together with Warren Buffett's own words of wisdom Berkshire Hathaway shareholders letters that are available free online, it gives you an introduction to how Warren Buffett thinks.
Tshering Pelmo
Nov 20, 2013 Tshering Pelmo rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-reviewed
Decent book for an insider to Warren Buffett's investment techniques. I made some improvement on my option stock, but I'm sure it was my strategic move of looking at the annually statement and not this book. This book was more of a biographical, philosophical and motivational genre for me.
Cody Meek
Jun 12, 2013 Cody Meek rated it it was amazing
A whole bunch of neat insight as the techniques are thoroughly demonstrated and explained. May be prone to a touch of "fluff", but the author makes sure to not only make points, but also drive in the nail. This is a great investing book for novices as well as studiers of Warren Buffett.
Terrance
Aug 01, 2008 Terrance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent workbook. Although I read the book in english. Goes over the theories of how the "master" himself chooses stocks. Is very insightful, and a great book for those curious how Warren Buffet has chosen stocks over the years.
Kenny Tang
Some basic concepts on how Buffet does what he does in a strange family member telling you a story kind of way. Buys companies below it's value, holds forever, spends little, always looks for opportunities. It's ok. You won't learn enough to actually do anything or be inspired for greatness.
Shirley
Sep 18, 2011 Shirley rated it really liked it
Mary Buffett (Warren Buffett's ex daughter-in-law) explains Warren Buffett's method for value investing. Simple theory but a little more complex to put into practice. The book is full of helpful formulas. A must read for those managing their own portfolios!
Arup Guha
Dec 25, 2014 Arup Guha rated it really liked it
its not about the price, its about the earnings stupid. Recommended as investing 101.
Carlos Effio
Nov 18, 2014 Carlos Effio rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. I wish I had read it a long time ago.
Frank Coleman
GREAT book...I am going to go through it again to take notes. This book is full of common sense that isn't common at all. Loved it!
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • The Warren Buffett Way: Investment Strategies of the World's Greatest Investor
  • How to Think Like Benjamin Graham and Invest Like Warren Buffett
  • Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond
  • The Aggressive Conservative Investor
  • Contrarian Investment Strategies: The Classic Edition
  • Hot Commodities : How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market
  • The Alchemy of Finance
  • God Wants You to Be Rich: How and Why Everyone Can Enjoy Material and Spiritual Wealth in Our Abundant World
  • Quality of Earnings
  • Learn to Earn: A Beginner's Guide to the Basics of Investing and Business
  • Theory of Investment Value
  • Valuation: Measuring and Managing the Value of Companies
  • The Little Book of Value Investing

“After all, you have just been sold a painting for $1 million, and the cost of making it was probably less than $500.” 0 likes