Start by marking “Wish You Were Here” as Want to Read:
Wish You Were Here

Wish You Were Here

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  688 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Can a whirlwind romance ever go the distance?

When Jack proposes to Beth at the end of a holiday romance, she doesn't think twice--she knows he's The One. But then Jack walks out soon after their return, with no explanation, no nothing.

Eight years on and Beth finds a fantastic new job--working for Jack. She could definitely do without having to face him everyday, but then s
Published (first published June 14th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wish You Were Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish You Were Here

Lady Heather

3 Stars

I liked this story, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't 'love it'.
The writing and story were really good, but I had a hard time connnecting with the characters.
Kate
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: asdf
The story had such great potential in the beginning, but the author failed to push the novel to the next level. Everything was safe, there was too much dialog, too much in depth office-related goings on and there were several editing mistakes.

I would have liked the author to have abided by the rule "Show, Don't Tell." Jack had all this mysterious history surrounding him and only once did the author allude to the truth of it. I wish that more and more of his history had been revealed slowly throu
Jinky
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, won
It was the last third of the book that rocked for me! I was swept away with the love story. The sensual tension between Beth and Jack was intense. I found myself characterizing Jack as debonair. Heck, I'd take him back!! That's how good the teasing was presented. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the "will they get back together" scenario played out as foreplay. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this fits the erotic genre. Not at all. Merely, a chick lit that made me want to cheer ...more
Dori
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing you have to know about this book is that you have to accept it for what it is and more importantly for what it is not before you even begin to read it. This story is not a "sweeping generational family saga." It is not a "Nail biting on the edge of your seat legal thriller." Nor is it a "love story for the ages" This book is not "The Paris Wife" or "Defending Jacob" or "Memoirs of a Geisha" What it is, however is a light simple modern romance story. When you know that and read it ...more
Kim
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, kindle, net-galley, 2015
I really enjoyed this one on a recent camping trip.

Reread 19th May 2015
This is an ideal holiday read- pack it in your suitcase now! I can just imagine losing myself in this one on the beach with the sun shining down and imagining exotic corners of the world!
Beth and Jack met eight years ago and fell in love in Corsica. A whirlwind engagement followed- but when they got back to the UK Jack disappeared without trace leaving Beth very sad.
She is now engaged again and ends up working for Jack’s comp
Chanpreet
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been eagerly looking froward to the release of Phillipa Ashley's book here in the US. I made myself wait and not devour it when it arrived.

I love the premise of lovers being reunited. Beth and Jack met 8 years ago on a trek in Corsica and fell madly in love. Jack proposed and Beth accepted. Then Jack disappeared without a word and left Beth behind heartbroken. Now Beth has re-entered Jack's life and both dance wearily around the other trying to upset the delicate balance between them.

I fe
Irene
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Jack and Beth already knew each other before she turned up for an interview at his travel company. He had left her high and dry with a broken heart so she wasn't too pleased to see him again. Of course that soon changed. Definitely a holiday read - easy, light and entertaining. Book provided by publisher and Netgalley.
Connie
Beth and Jack met eight years ago on an outdoor travel trip to Corsica, and the sparks flew between them. Now she's applying for a job, and he's her future boss in the travel company. This is a hot and humorous romance set in both London and beautiful Corsica.
Kathryn
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this fun read, and managed to whiz through it in a couple of days. A perfect romance story!
Olayemi
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So basic. It killed me.
Patti TheLoveJunkee
Beth Allen works in the travel industry; she does backpacking trips in various parts of the world. She'd been working her father's small local company until he had a serious accident six months ago; while he's been recovering the business has slowly wound down. Now her younger sister has been accepted to an expensive college, and Beth is looking for temporary work in London to help with her sister's college expenses.

Jack Thornfield is the newest CEO at Big Outdoors travel company. When his perso
Tash
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed @ Confessions From Romaholics
Review copy kindly provided by publisher in exchange for a honest review
This has been on to the read list for a long time and I thought it about time to read it so I could cross of it my list. So I dove in with any expectations not knowing anything about the book or the author and hoped for the best.
Engaging from the beginning, we are introduced to Beth who is struggling to keep things all together. A few months ago she left her perfect job and dreams behi
Jeannie Zelos
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish you were here, Phillipa Ashley

Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews
Genre:  Romance, Women’s Fiction
I love this sort of read sometimes, funny, light, and with a holiday feel to it. The kind of book you want for a beach read. It sounded so promising and it was a decent read but for me it could have been a five star one if certain areas were a bit stronger...still, I’m not the author – I can’t write! and it’s clearly going to be five star for many other readers. Everyone likes something di
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted at: http://lauragerold.blogspot.com/2011/...

Wish You Were Here is a modern day tale of Persuasion with the thrill of a vacation travel adventure. Eight years ago, Beth Allen met and fell in love with Jack Thornfield while they were both on a vacation trekking through the island of Corsica. After a whirlwind romance and an engagement, Beth never heard from Jack again, breaking her heart. Now all of these years later, Beth discovers that Jack is head of the compan
Mary (BookHounds)
Jack and Beth share a summer romance 8 years prior and Beth never hears from Jack again which breaks her heart. Beth, in desperate need of a job, receives an offer from a firm where Jack is the CEO. Her family and financial life is crumbling after her mother dies, her father has an accident and her talented teenage sister wants to go to an expensive acting school. She settles into an unsatisfactory relationship with Marcus, who owns the local used car dealership. And yes, you are right in thinki ...more
Paula  Phillips
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Paula Phillips am a self-proclaimed lover of Chick Lit Books and I adore the books published by the company "Little Black Dress" for three simple reasons. They are easy-to-read , the stories are romantic and can keep you on edge as you know the way you want it to turn out but everytime you turn the page thinking this will be the moment something else happens and you sit there going will they ever find the right moment and when they do find that perfect moment , it's a special moment. The third ...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Beth’s father has had a stroke and her little sister is still in school, so Beth needs to find a job to help with expenses. But she never expected to work for Jack!

Ms. Ashley’s main female character is Beth, a strong young woman who is facing a lot of challenges at home and in her personal life. Beth is vulnerable, ready to find a man to settle down with but not satisfied with the one who wants her, and quite formidable at work.

The main male character is Jack, who is good looking and in great
Marsha Spohn
First reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

Eight years ago, Beth and Jack had everything going for them – fun, sun, each other’s love – until Jack disappeared.

Now Beth has the financial stability of her family on her shoulders, her ailing father and her sister who wants to attend the “best” school. It’s up to her to ensure that they are cared for. To do that she heads for an interview that will change her life.

When Jack and Beth meet up again after all this time, the sparks of interest are still there –
kristen
I got this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

This one just did not connect with me. I found the style of writing slightly choppy, but the characters were hard to root for. I am not a huge fan of stories based on deceptions, no matter how minor, and this one has one at it's key. If that trope does not bother you, then this can be a lovely second-chance story.

Jack and Beth met years ago on a sexy Corsican holiday but were separated quickly after. When Beth rocks up for a job in
Danielle
Beth Allen will do whatever she has to do. Since her father had an accident over six months ago she has been helping out in the family business. Now that business is slow she is looking to take on a part time position to earn money to send her younger sister to an expensive college. Who knew working in the travel industry could be interesting?

Jack Thornfield is the new CEO at Big Outdoors travel company. It just so happens his assistant shows him Beth Allen's resume for the temporary position t
Jenifer (JensCorner)
Phillipa Ashley is a wonderful romance storyteller. You connect with her characters, and find yourself routing for them. She weaves a story you are pulled into, and they are magical. In Wish You Were Here, she does so well what she always has. She makes you fall in love with her characters as they fall in love with each other.

Jack Thornfield runs a company called Big Outdoors. They don't offer your average vacation get away. However, if you want to white water raft on your vacation, they have yo
BecksBookPicks
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was hilarious! I don't get to read chick-lit as much as I used too and I really enjoyed getting in touch with this genre again. Jack and Beth were both fun characters. Jack being the "Big Bad Scary Boss", when you meet him as a reader he just seems so mellow.

When you start the book you know where its going of coarse. Beth is almost engaged to a man named Marcus who would like her to just be a stay at home wife, while Beth has other ideas. She wants to see the world. She just can't in
Jin
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, netgalley
Thanks for the Netgalley for my copy.

Jack Thronfield is CEO of Big Outdoor and looking for a head of marketing. His PA recommends Beth Allen. They have a history together in Corsica. 8 years ago, Jack promised to call but he never called and she never have forgotten about that.
Beth Allen comes back to London for an interview without knowing Jack was interviewing her. She didn't realize how upset she was when she saw him again. She runs out. Feeling the regret, she went back for her interview a
Felicia (felso)
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, i-own
I enjoy Phillipa Ashley's stories so much I have the UK edition, US edition and it's also on my Kindle. Fun books to read and re-read over the weekend or in summer.

Jack Thornfield and Beth Allen fell in love on holiday in Corsica, 8 years ago. Jack leaves without an explanation.

8 years later, Beth's father has a serious accident and Beth leaves her job to help him, the family business and her sister. Beth then finds it necessary to take an exciting new job in London to help her sister through
Subroto Roy
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You meet your love 8 years after a very bad break up, what would you do ? Philipa Ashley has presented infront of us a similar situation, preoccupied with all her problems & responsibilities Beth find a job at London . Unaware of the fact that she's gonna meet her ex-boyfriend as her new boss , Jack who is totally disliked & hated by her because she thinks she had been cheated long ago. Jack knows that she needs the job like anything & so does Beth so they decide to keep their relati ...more
Michelle
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This was my first book by this author, attracted by the (kindle) cover, description and accompanying glowing readers remarks I settled down for a good read.

I liked the way the story started with Jack not Beth so showing his vulnerabilities as well as hers instead of casting him the standard macho male. Unfortunately despite this being a nice book I came away feeling a little disappointed.

Whilst I thought this was a new recently released kindle title I was mistaken, the original paperback was f
Meghan Cooper
Feb 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls who love their little black dress books
Any book that is a little black dress book, I will enjoy and I did enjoy this book. I thought it was funny, romantic and cleverly written, I only give it three stars because I thought I didn't really get into the story until the last 100 pages, I felt like it didn't get going until then. I think the trip should have been the main part of the story and not the end. I know that it needed the build up but I wanted more of the trip in which they get to know one another. I wanted more cute moments wh ...more
drey
Phillipa Ashley's latest offering is a tale of second chances--and whether you should take them. Beth met Jack when she was just nineteen and vacationing in Corsica. A whirlwind romance later, he asks her to marry him and she says "yes!" Then he disappears, and she's heartbroken. Fast forward eight years and Beth is walking into an interview for a job that she really needs. And guess who's on the other side of the desk? Jack, of course.

Taking this job might be the dumbest thing she ever did, but
Carol W
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beth travels to London for an important interview for a job, when she finds herself in the office of the man who dumped her 8 years earlier and finds out he is the CEO, and about to interview her for the position.

She is an adult, it was a long time ago, and she can put the past behind her. She wants no favours and is happy to keep things on a strictly professional basis with Jack when she gets the position.

Set in London, the story takes Beth and Jack off to Corsica to check out a new holiday pac
Staci
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
First thoughts after finishing this book: What a fun romantic read....

What I liked about the book:

the characters...I liked them and could even see myself being friends with Beth!
Location- I love books that take place in England. One of my biggest dreams is to one day visit there so for now I escape through my books.
Fun, romantic, and a story with a bit of a twist. This was one that you could just really get into...not a lot of fluff but just right!

What I didn't like:

I enjoyed all of it.

Recom
  • More Than Love Letters
  • Catriona
  • Making Waves
  • Just One Season in London
  • Mr. Darcy's Bite (Darcy Bites #1)
  • Fires of Winter (Tales of Jernaeve, #2)
  • Lord of the Black Isle (Black Douglas #3)
  • Jesse  (The Secret Life of Cowboys, #3)
  • Treasure Me (The Legend Hunters, #3)
  • Spirit Willing, Flesh Weak
  • Utterly Charming (Fates, #1)
  • One Fine Cowboy
  • Silver-Tongued Devil
  • Scrumptious (Sexy Chefs, #1)
  • A Gentleman Never Tells (The Rogues' Dynasty #4)
  • Catch Me a Catch
  • Swept off Her Feet
  • Best Friends
419233
Phillipa Ashley is an award-winning author of 17 novels under three pen-names.

The first two books in her hugely popular new Cornish Cafe series have been an Amazon Top 10 and Kobo number #1 best-sellers.

The third book, Confetti at the Cornish Cafe, is published on May 29th.

She also writes the Oxford Blue series as Pippa Croft.
More about Phillipa Ashley...