Start by marking “Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World

Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World

Since the beginning of time, the same mysteries have puzzled people on every continent; the same fears have beset them. They have attempted to explain the mysteries and allay the fears in the same way - through the worship of gods. Deities have been identified with the human psyche for at least 60,000 years. Encyclopedia of Gods offers concise information on more than ...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 352 pages
Published June 1st 1993 by Facts on File (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia of Gods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia of Gods

Start your review of Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
Terence
While none of the entries are terribly extensive, this is an interesting little reference book showing just how many ways humans have attempted to come to terms with their universe.
Terra Bosart
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent resource for the obscure references I encounter during research projects. When I read a document that expects me to be familiar with deities I have never heard of, the Encyclopedia of Gods has come through for me more often than not.
Tara Dobbs
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual
Missing a lot more Gods and spirits from other cultures. Needs a revised updated reprint.
Mark
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
I suppose it is hard to catalog all the gods, and author Michael Jordan (not that Michael Jordan) does a decent job gathering up over a couple thousand gods, which I am sure was no easy task.

However, the book isn't really that thorough in its scope nor in its descriptions of the gods. Some quick checks showed missing gods right away. Ask any fan of Mayan mythology about the Popol Vuh and the hero twins, and they will tell you about Hunapu and Xbalanque and their adventures in the underworld.
Sagan
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference-only
I got this from the library to see if it was worth buying. It is. You'd need to find some dedicated books for full details, but entries are long enough to get the idea and short enough for further explanation of mythology and folklore to a child when you encounter gods and goddesses as characters in read-aloud time. Or Marvel movies.
Aryanne
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Many interesting little facts. More a reference book than anything else.
J.
Oct 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Invaluable reference
Nicollette
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Religion seekers
This book is helpful, especially for people who are trying to understand more than one religion. I use this book as a compass on finding out all I can about the gods and goddesses.
Aaron Meyer
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mythology
A useful dictionary of gods from throughout the world. Not a complete listing but good enough for a reference.
Darlene
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have skipped through this book as a reference book. A lot of good stuff. Will be using it through the year so I'm declaring it read.
Serena
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
My Rating System:
Steig
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
as reference, used often, especially when Lara names her doggesses.
Patricia Della-Piana
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a go-to book of information not findable anyplace else. He did his homework, and now I can do mine.
Brycsyn Hampton
Bernice
Dec 25, 2018
Tyler-l
Apr 02, 2009

• Encyclopedia of Spirits: The Ultimate Guide to the Magic of Fairies, Genies, Demons, Ghosts, Gods  Goddesses
  • The Witch: A History of Fear, from Ancient Times to the Present
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • The Masonic Myth: Unlocking the Truth About the Symbols, the Secret Rites, and the History of Freemasonry
  • Crewel Lye: A Caustic Yarn (Xanth #8)
  • Noir Fatale
  • Secret Societies: The Complete Guide to Histories, Rites, and Rituals
  • Paper Girls #2
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • How Not to Kill Yourself: A Survival Guide for Imaginative Pessimists
  • Blackbird, Vol. 1
  • Changeling: The Lost
  • Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • The Book of Lilith
Michael Jordan was born in Lancashire, England, in 1941. He studied Natural Sciences at London University, and went on to become a successful BBC television presenter of wildlife programs in the 1980s. His love of writing began at about that time, when his focus of interest switched to ancient religions and cults, for which today he is best known as a non-fiction author. He has a current list of ...more