Start by marking “A Little Book of Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Little Book of Christmas

A Little Book of Christmas

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Four short Christmas stories by author John Kendrick Bangs. Also includes a few Christmas poems by the author.
Published (first published September 1912)

To ask other readers questions about A Little Book of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Book of Christmas

Debbie Zapata
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gutenberg
Christmas in June? Yep. For a challenge I needed a book set during Christmas, and this was my choice. I had read and enjoyed another book by John Kendrick Bangs last year, so when I saw this title at Gutenberg, I was pretty sure I would have some nice stories to read and I was not disappointed.

Written in 1912, the four stories here take place in New York City. The mix of tension, humor and the joy of the season is perfect in each story. These are not religious tales, the main theme of the entire
Owlseyes

A TOAST TO SANTA CLAUS
Whene'er I find a man who don't Believe in Santa Claus, And spite of all remonstrance won't Yield up to logic's laws, And see in things that lie about The proof by no means dim, I straightway cut that fellow out, And don't believe in him.
The good old Saint is everywhere Along life's busy way

...
No, this ain’t a shades, ghosts or afterlife-conversations…story. It’s just a little Bangsian X’mas story --The conversion of Hetherington--I’ve found; especially sweet that letter
Karen
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 short Christmas stories written in 1912. It is a true picture of the times when 6 year old boys sold newspapers on the corner and slept on the streets. Heartrending, but heartwarming at the same time. Spirit of Christmas prevails throughout. Vocabulary outstanding. Free on my Kindle, so glad I took advantage of a wonderful read.
Samantha
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I suppose dated - but no more than Dickens which means they are timeless. Worth a reread as full of moralistic and hopeful Christmas cheer - worth a read certainly
Sam Woodfield
This is a lovely little book comprising a number of short stories and poems all in the spirit of Christmas. Each of the stories focuses on the real meaning of Christmas - good will to all men and helping those less fortunate than yourself. Each one really makes you think about what you can give to others and the things that are really important.
Although very short, each story is complete, we get to understand the characters and their social status - something which is important in this book and
Derek
Dec 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
"A Little Book of Christmas", or, "Rich Guys Save Little Boys", or "The Top 1% Have Feelings Too!" or "Wealthy White Dudes Like Toys!" This was a Bangsian attempt at modern Dickens without all the wit and panache I'm so fond of. These stories were a bit too sappy for me and without a lot of substance. There is one particular moment that sticks out to me: as a character plays with a lonely child, he creates a particularly violent, gory scene with some toy soldiers and "a bit of red ink". Military ...more
kelley
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, christmas, 2011
This antiquated work was first published in 1912 and contains four short Christmas stories. I listened to them while I baked my holiday pies. The stories were interesting and each contained a main character or characters that performed a good deed at Christmas time. I enjoyed the style of writing, the stories themselves and the little touch of the paranormal. My favorite story was Santa Claus and Little Billee.

Roberta
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: natale
A few short stories and poems about Christmas, in the american way. My favourite are the the last two: Santa Claus and Little Billie, where a poor man in a worn-out red suits pretend to be Santa and take homes a lost little boy, and The House of Seven Santa, where the members of a gentlemen club save a little news boy from the storm and give him the best Christmas of his life.
Nancy
I enjoyed the stories. One author used too many big words. I usually enjoy reading the older words, but one story was just too much through the first half. The last half of the story was much better. I really liked the last story in the book. I like sweet sentimental Christmas stories this time of year. This was a short quick read.
Shelly
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY liked this one! Except for the formatting at the very beginning, because it's a public domain book, this had all the Christmas messages and spirit you could want! Loved every story!
I'll be keeping this one to return to season after season.
Pam
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xmas, pam
This book published in 1912 is a delight! It contains four separate short stories about Christmas, and all are interesting. You might consider the stories quaint and sweet, but that is the draw. A great read for Christmas! The volume I read also contained several Christmas poems.
Mandy
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas-books
This was a compilation of Christmas poems and essay type stories. All of the short stories pull at your heart-strings and make you remember the true meaning of Christmas. I will definitely use these stories in the future in lessons and to tell my children.
Cait
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lovely little collection of Christmas stories, liked the poems too.

Three were very similar with people assuming the role of Santa Claus.

Liked 'The Child Who Had Everything But-' best.

Very quick read.

Good sense of humour, but tongue-in-cheek in places.
Mo
I got this for Kindle
Also downloaded it from Gutenberg to Adobe Digital Reader (laptop), but have not transferred it to my nook yet.
Naomi
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Family-friendly collection of short Christmas stories and poems, showing their age in some ways, but sweet nonetheless, and remaining relevant given our current economy.
Phoebe
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Quant Christmastime stories to get one in the festive mood, and spread the holiday cheer.
dee
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nice little Christmas book

I enjoyed reading this book. It is short and very sweet. I read a couple of the stories to my grandson...He, likewise, enjoyed them.
Laurel Wicke
This book lives up to its title. A little book full of Christmas stories and poems. Though a bit dated, it's sweet and nostalgic. I enjoyed reading it lying on the couch by the Christmas tree.
Heidi
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason this book had me thinking of Downtown Abbey while I read it. Written in 1912, this book of charming short stories will put you in the perfect holiday mood!
Naomi
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must read to give you the missing Christmas spirit.
Paul
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant quick read. I really enjoyed it.
Joey
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable.
Glenda
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Christmas short stories and poems..nice.
VeeAnn
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short stories to enjoy this time of the year.
Janelle
I enjoyed all these stories and poems, although the final story, The House of Seven Santas was really very special.
Sharon
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved these little short stories and poems. Just perfect for Christmas.
Dec 02, 2012
Yuliya Polivanova
Sep 21, 2015
Camilla
Dec 29, 2013
Cheryl A.Pepiton
Jun 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Bride For Christmas (Regency Christmas Brides, #1)
  • The Christmas Angel
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch
  • Miss Kane's Christmas
  • Old Christmas: From the Sketch Book
  • The Bird's Christmas Carol
  • Christmas Every Day
  • A Regency Christmas II
  • Aunt Jane's Nieces (Aunt Jane's Nieces, #1)
  • Let Every Heart Prepare Him Room: Daily Family Devotions for Advent
  • Behind a Mask, Or, a Woman's Power
  • A Garfield Christmas
  • The Heavenly Christmas Tree
  • A Family for Christmas
  • A House to Let
  • Sweet Christmas Kisses: Fourteen Sweet Christmas Romances
  • A Victorian Christmas
John Kendrick Bangs was an American author and satirist, and the creator of modern Bangsian fantasy, the school of fantasy writing that sets the plot wholly or partially in the afterlife.
More about John Kendrick Bangs...