Start by marking “The Way of the Hen: Zen and the Art of Raising Chickens” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Hen: Zen and the Art of Raising Chickens

The Way of the Hen: Zen and the Art of Raising Chickens

How raising chickens can help us reconnect with the simpler joys of life.
Published October 4th 2011 by Lyons Press (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of the Hen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of the Hen

Start your review of The Way of the Hen: Zen and the Art of Raising Chickens
Kim
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has a lot to do with chicken (we have around 100), I thoroughly enjoyed the book because I found my own points of views in it. It was very entertaining to read because it's a different kind of chicken book. Perfect for someone who loves chicken and enjoys their company.
Leslie
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Chicken-raising advice, anecdotes, quotes, and thoughts combined with Buddhist philosophy and meditations. A strange little book, but not unenjoyable. Bought it (used) for a friend, read it before passing along, and ended up skimming portions that were too much about children or were a little more woo-woo than I am.
Martha☀
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, farming
As a chicken keeper and a bona-fida crazy chicken lady, I can attest that there is nothing that parallels the joy of raising backyard chickens. Personally, I can sit on my porch with a cup of tea and watch 'chicken TV' for hours. But Danaan has taken this kind of adoration a step too far in this book. Her "wealth of knowledge" about chickens comes from watching her three hens in her city-lot coop and she makes it all seem pretty ideal. Her daily chores are as simple as opening a door and sprinkl ...more
James Tomasino
There wasn't much to mark this book as special, really. It had some interesting thoughts on our relationship with nature and homesteading, but the organization of the book felt as meandering as a chicken scratching at the ground. Toward the latter half of the book the author started losing her focus from the Way of the Hen into a general disorder of new age themed sentiments that didn't mesh with the message and detracted from her ability to connect on a wide scale.

One nice note is that for some
Rebecca Stark
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The author and I worked with a wonderful community to legalize chickens in our city. I'm grateful to say we succeeded and I read this sweet book after obtaining my own chickens. A worthy read for crazy chickens ladies (and men) alike!
T. Strange
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review
It's nice to read a book by someone who really loves and appreciates chickens (like me!). Thought provoking. The sidebars are a little distracting. Ironically, I kind of rushed through it. I keep meaning to reread it more slowly.
Lisa
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I don't care how cute the cover is, if you're writing a book about chickens there should be pictures of chickens inside!
Amy
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Backyard chickens crossing the path to enlightenment.
Middlethought
Jan 27, 2019
Ellen Cummings
Aug 08, 2017
Sylvie
rated it did not like it
Jun 16, 2014
Jan 05, 2014
Mitsy
Oct 30, 2011
Clea Danaan
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My ecospiritual books grew out of a winding path, from my childhood in the Pacific Northwest and integral studies at Fairhaven College, on to massage school and Reiki training, and then graduate studies in Wisdom Traditions, somatic psychology, education, and creative writing. My dream is that all people would find their soul work, which heals people and our fellow earthlings on many levels. Visit ...more

News & Interviews