Start by marking “Building Below the Waterline: Shoring Up the Foundations of Leadership” as Want to Read:
Building Below the Waterline: Shoring Up the Foundations of Leadership

Building Below the Waterline: Shoring Up the Foundations of Leadership

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Anchored in Biblical truth, spiritual guidance and life experience, this collection of essays covers a wide range of matters: spiritual formation, pastoral duties, personal restoration and renewal, difficult issues and troublesome people.
Published April 1st 2011 by Hendrickson Publishers (first published March 14th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Building Below the Waterline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building Below the Waterline

Andy Anderson
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book that is written primarily for pastors, but the first 11 chapters (part 1) have to do with spiritual growth and disciplines. Then part 2 has to do with pastoral issues such as: prayer, when things get ugly, telling the hard truth, handling church conflict and when to leave.

One of the chapter in part one is the chapter titled "What I Want to Be When I Grow Up". What do your want to look like later in life? Questions to ask: Am I too defensive? Am I putting in free time to the schedule
Rick
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Although I am not in the core audience for this book, there was something in every chapter which was helpful. This book, the third I've read from MacDonald, is aimed primarily at pastors although much of his contnet applies in a general sense to anyone on the journey of faith.
Phil
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this perspective & insights offered from MacDonald...wow! I feel like he could be saving me 10 years of dumb decisions & chasing my tail when it comes to ministry & leadership. Thanks for writing this book!
Chris
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every pastor should read this book. Gordon MacDonald's heart shines through in every chapter, and even if every morsel of insight and advice isn't germane to your situation, you can still find encouragement from a fellow sojourner's experience.
Dustin Bagby
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A great wealth of pastoral wisdom.
Lydia
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super Buch, aus meiner Sicht eine Art Themensammlung verschiedener relevanter Themen, die einem vollzeitlichen Dienst/Pastoraldienst begegnen. Der deutsche Titel: "Warum Jesus kein Burnout hatte" ist leider wieder einmal völlig irreführend. Der Leitgedanke ist, ins persönliche geistliche Lebensfundament zu investieren, um im Dienst nachhaltig und dauerhaft tätig zu sein. Für mich hat sich das Buch aufgrund vieler hilfreicher Denkanstöße definitiv gelohnt.
Joe Oaster
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book but the audience is more focused on people in Christian ministry. Though the book is written for that audience there a many good principles written here. I took a lot of notes on this book.
Mark
Sep 27, 2012
François Davel
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Gordon MacDonald has been a pastor and author for over forty years. For many years he pastored Grace Chapel in Lexington, Massacusetts and continues to serve as Pastor Emertius. He has also provided leadership to influential ministries such as Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, which he served as President for three years, and World Relief, which he currently serves as Chairman. Gordon’s best-sell ...more
More about Gordon MacDonald
“We can’t maintain the pace unless we pray, study Scripture, and read heavy doses of the classical spiritual literature.” 0 likes
“recognition that soul cultivation goes before institution building.” 0 likes