Start by marking “Skeleton Meets the Mummy” as Want to Read:
Skeleton Meets the Mummy

Skeleton Meets the Mummy

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
This spooky new read-aloud story is perfect for Halloween!

On Halloween night, Sammy has to make a quick trip through the dark woods before he can go trick-or-treating. But someone--or something--is following him. Scritch! Scratch! What could it be?

Bold, vibrant illustations make this spooky story a perfect Halloween tale that kids will want to read again and again.
Published August 1st 2011 by Cartwheel Books

To ask other readers questions about Skeleton Meets the Mummy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skeleton Meets the Mummy

M.M. Hudson
I wish I could say that I was overly enthralled with the story line of this book, I wasn't. The story is so-so in my mind and could have been something a bit better. However, that does not mean it is a completely terrible book.

The illustrations are bold and a bit fun. It is fun to see a skeleton be scared.
Like the story line, the illustrations could have added more but still cute none-the-less.

The twist at the end was actually not predictable as I would have expected and truly was surprised.

I w
Rosa Cline
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, halloween, kids
This was a fun Halloween storybook that my 20 year old special needs son giggled through as I read it to him. The story itself is a nice one along with the great illustrations as well. This has a 'little' bit of stuff that might scare a little one but not really. If you don't read it scary then they won't be scary. The little mummy is walking through the woods and hears strange sounds that scare him and thus might scare the listener-reader but in the end it's just his friend dressed up.
Steve Holden
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
This is themed book I got at a book fair years ago. It's always out during the month of October in my room, and I notice some interest in this one. The illustrations are colorful and cutesy - it's fun to look at and through. It's not a favorite read aloud during the season for me.
Thabata
Sep 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I’m sorry to say I did not see the novelty or fun this book was supposed to deliver. The color scheme of the illustrations are all right as they follow the fall/halloween pattern. The plot was meek, the characters bland and the illustrations not remarkable.
Amy "the book-bat"
cute. I enjoyed the illustrations. The story was simple and good for younger children.
Scott Waldie
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SO TENSE AND TERRIFYING! Nah, but a cute book to read to my young songs, they love Halloween and this is just about the weight of what they can handle. Art is great.
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun read for younger kids. Makes a great read aloud. Teaches kids not to be scared because there's always an explanation. Halloween can be quite scary for young children.
Dena (Batch of Books)
My daughter picked this story out of her Scholastic book club order catalog. She loves Halloween and she loves skeletons and mummies, so this one really appealed to her.

This is a really fun book to read. The author used a lot of onomatopoeia (sound words) to enhance the spooky experience of Halloween. The story was fun, exciting, and a little scary. But not too scary. I thought it contained the right amount of spook for the age group it's aimed at.

I absolutely loved loved loved the illustrations
Stacey
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sammy is excited for Halloween, and trick-or-treating. But before he can go he needs to bring his grandmother some hot soup for her cold bones (it’s a family of skeletons) and his grandmother lives through the woods on a dark, windy night.
Adorable illustrations and easy reading. The words flow quite well with the story and illustrations. The illustrations are bright and colorful and the face expressions are the best. This is cute book, especially for Halloween and children who do not in anyway w
Lesley
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 544
This books starts out like Little Red Riding Hood except the author uses a skeleton Sammy to take some soup to grandma's house. As he travels through the woods encounters alot of scary things but faces them along the way. Then he meets the scariest thing in the woods his friend Derek dressed as a mummy. Great book to teach students about facing her/his fears.

Published: 2010
Genre: Mystery, Halloween, adventure
Kristen
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: elementary, holiday
This book had the traditional feel of a Halloween book that is supposed to "scare" younger children, but has a much different appearance. Instead of soft colors and realistic drawings, this book has angular shapes and vibrant colors. In Skeleton Meets the Mummy, Skeleton has to go out into the woods before he can go trick-or-treating but soon he senses something following him! This is a short but cute book to use at Halloween time. It was good, but not the best.
Joey Fong
This is agreat boko to read during October when Halloween is coming. It is part of the spooky, mystery genere that students will appreciate. THe story forces students to make prediction of the things "Skeleton" might encounter on the way to Grandma's house. fun book to read during free time as well.
Mekia
great book! A little boy is sent by his mother on halloween to give his grandmother some soup. He must take the route through the woods, and when in the woods he hears some things that frighten him. When someone starts to chase him wearing a mummy costume, he eventually says that he's tired of running and solves the problem.
Seher Patka
The Little Skeleton boy takes a walk through the forest to get to grandma's house before he goes trick-o-treating. On the way, he meets a mummy that frightens him. This book is perfect to include in your fall collection. It works on phonics, fluency, and has oversized words so children can follow along while you read aloud.
Penny
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
My kids got a kick out of this book. They loved all the sounds described in the story. The only down side is it was a bit too predictable. My four year old had it all figured out early on. That was a bit disappointing.
Mary
This is an amusing story about two friends on Halloween. One decides to scare the other, and they both end up having a good laugh about it. It is a lighthearted story--I thought the ending was somewhat lackluster after the buildup of the beginning. The pictures are great, though!
Kim
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Pre-K Halloween book, simply written, lots of words that sound like sounds, cute illustrations

themes: bravery, dark woods, friends, Halloween, mummies, skeletons
Rida
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really really cute! Adorable!
Pema Jampa
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cool Halloween read! Cutest illustrations!
Bridget
Nov 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very cute illustrations and cute story about a little skeleton that is scared of his Halloween surroundings.
Debbie
Feb 02, 2013 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
idc
Miss Ryoko
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Who knew that skeletons could be so adorable!!! Hahaha! The illustrations were super cute!!
Brianna Dietz
This is a fun book to read during Halloween! Great for students to learn differences in appearances.
Rachel
Like the shading on the illustrations, but other than that nothing really remarkable.
Cadence
Sep 14, 2016
Lj
Apr 18, 2012
Justin
rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I grew up in Queens, NY in the 1950s with my “baby” sister, Lois. She is now a wonderful writer of young adult novels and nonfiction. My mother was born in Vienna, Austria, and my father came from Brooklyn – an interesting match! My best friends were Neil, Robbie, Krebs, and Paul. I’m still good friends with most of these guys. It was less hectic in those days – no computers, no emails, fewer TV c ...more