Start by marking “The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice, #11)

The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice #11)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  19,174 Ratings  ·  859 Reviews
Unconfirmed accounts of a group of Araluen warriors - tales of adventure, battle, and triumph over evil - have spread for centuries throughout the known world. Most notable is a clan shrouded in mystery, phantom warriors known as the Rangers.

Two names pass the lips of every storyteller: Halt, and his apprentice, Will. They and their comrades in arms are said to have trave
Published October 4th 2011 by Philomel (first published October 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Stories, please sign up.

Kyle
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

If you loved the series, you'll love The Lost Stories, I know I did.

The Lost Stories are just a series of short stories that answer some of the questions left unanswered by the series. Most are only two or three chapters long and can be finished off pretty quickly. Personally, I normally skip these types of releases. Most that I've read in the past have felt more like "money-makers" for the author than anything with real content for the reader.

I really enjoyed the Ranger's Apprentice series tho

Jonathan
This is yet another (the eleventh in fact) addition to a wonderful series of YA books. I love them for their characterisation, for the rich world, for the fact that both men and women are heroes in this world, for the fact that it is set in a more pure older time with a clear distinction between good and evil and just because it's great entertainment as a series. And like all great book series both the target audience of 12-16 year olds and adult readers can enjoy them. I know this to be true be ...more
C.B. Cook
Good grief, I love these books. This one was just a collection of short stories related to the series, but it was so good!!! Lots of feels (as in, fangirl squeals and sobs...), although the last one didn't excite me that much (as I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of Alyss). (view spoiler) To make this review easie ...more
Becca
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Firstly, just a warning, this review contains spoilers.

Secondly, for the record, I would actually give this book 3.5 stars, which I rounded up to four.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this book - it is really well written, and I incredibly enjoyed seeing all the characters again, and getting all my questions answered, and seeing the marriages between Cassandra and Horace, Will and Alyss, and seeing the continuing relationship between Gilan and Jenny. But I give the book 3.5 stars for two re
Avalley
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book, just not as much as I have liked the other ones. The only reason for that is because someone dies that is important to the main character, but i don't wan't to spoil anything.
kelley
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Stories is a unique book. The author John Flanagan writes a series of short stories that answer questions sent to him by his fans.

1. Death of a Hero--How Halt finds Will.
2. The Inkwell and the Dagger--What happened to Gilan when Halt and Horace went to Gallica to rescue Will in The Icebound Land.
3. The Roamers--an adventure that Alyss and Will have together.
4. Purple Prose--is an assignment Will and Halt have to capture some moondarkers who have been wrecking and plundering ships.
5. Di
Kathy Davie
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An omnibus of ten stories revolving around the Ranger Corps in the Kingdom of Araluen.

Flanagan takes an unique approach introducing this collection of short stories he has written around the Ranger's Apprentice by having an archeology professor in 1896 dig up a chest full of reports at a dig site. He ends with a fragment/afterword that introduces his new series, The Brotherband Chronicles.

All are in the Ranger's Apprentice series
"Hibernian", 0.25
"Death of a Hero", 0.5
"Inkwell and the Dagger", 3.
Rachel Lightwood
I'm really not a fan of short story anthologies so I am a bit nervous for this!

Discoveries | 1 star - This is me being completely selfish. I hate the idea of our characters being dead so that no one even remembers them, and all their things are buried and dead and gone, with these strange people digging them up and going through it.

Death of a Hero | 4 stars - I am so glad that we got to learn more about Will's biological family, and don't think it could have be explained in a better way.

The Inkw
Dan
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adventure, 2016
This would have gotten 4 stars, but the stories just were too "uneven". One or two I really enjoyed, and would have preferred to have had them expanded to a whole novel. Others seemed to me to be nearly "filler", even if they did flush out aspects of the over arching story.
Kathleen
3.5 stars for this enjoyable collection of short adventure stories set in medieval England (but called Araluen). These tales feature mostly Will and Halt, but also Crowley, Gilan, Alyss, Horace, etc. Will's dog Ebony and his horse Tug play key roles, too.

1. Death of a Hero--Halt finally tells Will the whole story of how both of Will's parents died and how Halt brought baby Will to Redmont Castle
2. The Inkwell and the Dagger-- Gilan deals with loose ends and fallout from book 2, The Burning Bridg
Cordelianne
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Some of these stories were awesome and really added something to the overall story. But other stories were boring and did not really add anything. One of my favorites was definitely the wedding story! It was so cute, but still action packed!
Kat
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Basic Premise: This volume is a collection of short stories set in the world of the Ranger's Apprentice series. They fill in some of the gaps on reader questions that aren't specifically addressed in the novels of the series.

Flanagan's short fiction works well, but if you haven't read the series, you won't have a clue what's going on in the stories. This was definitely intended for people who are already fans. The stories cover most of the logical questions readers would ask: what happens to Ran
Lexie ~ semi-hiatus ~
8/10. A collection of relatively short stories, and they were all great. I barely got bored with this book and there was a lot of humour in this one. I loved reading in some different characters POV's, especially Gilan's haha, and loved reading about stuff that happened in between throughout the rest of the series. And some of the beautiful things that happened in this book oh! I really liked this one. Have reread each of the stories multiple times!
Amber
Melina
So I've finally finished the published Ranger's Apprentice books (don't fear - John Flanagan pointed out in the talk I was at on Thursday that there will be at least one more). I'll start with my thoughts on the Lost Stories and then move back to the series as a whole.

This is a series of short stories covering everything from how Will's parents really died, through to random adventures through to more important milestones. The stories are short and easily digestible, which was good because there
Jacob Copps
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantasy novel written by John Flanagan. It is the 11th book in The Rangers Apprentice series. It is not a continuation of the series, instead it is a collection of stories that explains questions from fans of things that weren't covered in the series. For example it includes stories about what happened at the wedding of Hoarce and Cassandra. Also it explains what happened when Halt and Will left Gavin. It also includes another story that explains how Halt became a ranger, and another s ...more
Luann
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a joy it was to be back in the Ranger's Apprentice world with Will and Halt and all the others. I had resigned myself to the fact that book 10 would be the last, so this was a very pleasant surprise! And while a series of short stories isn't quite the same as a full-length book, I still enjoyed it VERY much. I think my favorite was the story about Halt before he became a Ranger - probably because I've always thought that a series about his younger years would be just as great as the books w ...more
Tricia Mingerink
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoy some of the short stories in this book. Others, not so much.

I like the ones leading up to Horace's wedding and the actual wedding. I like the short clip of Will's wedding and Jenny's and Gilan's romantic dinner that never was. The first time I read this book, I really liked the short stories with Halt's backstories. Those stories are now partially repeated in the two prequel books, so I ended up skipping them this time while re-listening because I'd just listened to the prequels.

I'll a
Dana
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has been the cutest, sweetest, and funniest sequel in the whole series! I've never laughed nor was I touched like I did in The Lost Stories! A loot of progress that a reader can't help but tear up as he sees the characters mature page by.page and feel proud of them. That a reader can magically connect with the characters of a story is what made Ranger's Apprentice survive till the 12th book and enjoy such a loyal fandom ^_^ Well done, John!
Kylia
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think there should be more stories about Will and Alyss.
Mari
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muito, muito bom! Uma história mais interessante e divertida que a outra, todas lindamente interligadas, tornando a leitura ainda mais gostosa!
Anke Sietinga
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Yes, this book took me forever to read. And I have a reason for that, I didn't find the book that interesting as all the others books before this one. I really liked some of the stories, but most of them I found boring. I think if I hadn't read this book I would have missed something, but next time I'm only gonna read the stories that I really like.
But I think if I had read this a few years ago I would have loved it!
Kyle Neil
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
It wasn't terrible, but it didn't have the same excitement of the other books. I know this was kind of designed to wrap up what the books failed to cover, but it should of been written better I guess?
Ashley
Aug 03, 2017 added it
I didn't like the bit about the horses.
Victoria
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the micro stories.
LiamB
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young adults. Ages 12-18
The Lost Stories is the last book in the Rangers Apprentice series. The book tells different experiences and stories of several different characters. I would recommend this for young adults. It can be violent and hard to follow, which can shaft your mind, I know it did mine. The book has a lot of action though which keeps it very exciting throughout the book
Daphne
Since these are a bunch of short stories, I'll rate them individually. I'm not a huge fan of this format and I didn't really enjoy the book in general. What I did like was the glimpse into the future, I almost wish that had been explored more instead of the stories.

1. Death of a Hero. 2/5 stars.
We have basically heard this story already, the only thing that was suddenly changed was how Will's mother died, and honestly, I think it was a bad change. Not everyone has to die in a herioc sacrifice t
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
A collection of short stories set in the Ranger's Apprentice universe - one of my favorite series.

Overall comments:

I went in thinking the set was mostly filling in various gaps of the other stories, and there are a few stories that do that, but a lot of the stories took place after book 10, and I almost feel like Flanagan wanted to write another book but knew he'd said it was done, so went this route instead. It would be ironic if that was the case, since another book is coming out now. ^_^

Samantha
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I find it harder to review a book full of short stories than I do a novel, as some stories work well, while others fall short. I really love Flanagan's work, which also makes it harder to judge this book. I enjoyed reading all of these short stories--most written in response to questions/comments he's received from fans--but none of them were groundbreaking.

The humor, as always, was amazing, and I love the way the characters are written. These short stories stayed true to the Ranger's Apprentice
Tincangoat
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Mr. Flanagan’s written better, much better, and this book is quite frankly one a fan could skip. I know fan’s question things authors have written and some fan demand answers, but to me it’s often times better when the questions we have go unanswered. Some things are better left unsaid. Or in this case, unwritten. Even so, there are two stories in here that I loved. The rest were cannon fodder to fill the pages, in my opinion.

[[SPOILER]]

For example, I didn’t need to know that the ranger’s horses
Oakleaf Bearers: The Lost Stories 3 4 Sep 11, 2017 11:35AM
Ranger's Apprenti...: How old is Will ? 19 85 Jul 24, 2015 03:10PM
  • The Whisperer
  • Apartment 255
  • The Wizard of Rondo (Rondo, #2)
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • Halo
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • City of Lies (The Keepers, #2)
  • A Rose for the ANZAC Boys
  • DragonKnight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #3)
  • Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)
  • The Book of Lies
  • Isle of Fire (Isle of Swords, #2)
  • The Mystery  (Troubletwisters, #3)
  • The Locket of Dreams
  • War of the Werelords (Wereworld, #6)
  • To Darkness Fled (Blood of Kings, #2)

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It
More about John Flanagan...

Ranger's Apprentice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)
“Crowley shook his head. "I sometimes wonder if it was a good idea having Halt train apprentices. He seems to teach them no respect for authority."

"Oh, he teaches us to respect authority," Gilan said innocently. "He just teaches us to ignore it when necessary.”
88 likes