Start by marking “Claudine in Paris” as Want to Read:
Claudine in Paris

Claudine in Paris

(Claudine #2)

At the age of seventeen Claudine is in despair having left her beloved Montigny for a new life in Paris. Comforted by her devoted maid Melie, her slug-obsessed Papa, and the trustworthy cat Fanchette, Claudine's instinctive curiosity gradually leads to an awakened interest in the city. Ruthless, impetuous and chastely sensual Claudine records her witty observations and adv ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 176 pages
Published November 12th 1982 by Ballantine Books (first published 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Claudine in Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudine in Paris

Beth Bonini
In the second of the Claudine novels, 17 year old Claudine is transplanted (rather unwillingly) from her country home in Montigny to a “dark flat” in the “dismal, shabby Rue Jacob” in Paris. Having left school and her country home, the beginning of Claudine’s transformation to a young woman in Paris begins with a long illness which leaves her thin and weak. Her long hair has been chopped off into a rough curly mop, but her initial opinion of this unfortunate event - “transformed into a boy!” - c ...more
Ella
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: francais, classics
Aaaah, Claudine, ma très chère Claudine!

Encore une fois je suis surprise par la modernité de ce roman! Publié à 1901, il parvient quand même à me faire sourciller en 2016. Ce n'est pas tant qu'il est choquant pour le 21e siècle, mais je suis étonnée de la popularité de ce roman dans une époque qui était pourtant toute autre. LGBT, inceste, prostitution dans le Paris de la Belle Époque, c'est un délice!

Nous retrouvons donc Claudine, adolescente par excellece, à Paris. Adieu, Claire, Luce, la peti
Mel
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In Claudine in Paris I was a little dissapointed that she had lost some of her self assuredness of the first book. Her illness and moving to the big city seemed to take it's toll on Claudine which made me sad. That and her increased prudishness in this book made me like her a little less. The scenes between her and her young gay nephew were great though. I loved how he was so worried other people would find out, and scolded her for teasing him about it, when everyone already knew. I thought it w ...more
Lobo
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Klaudyna w Paryżu, wyrwana ze swojego naturalnego środowiska, nie traci uroku.
W drugim tomie zaczęłam bardziej zwracać uwagę na język i muszę przyznać, że tłumaczka się spisała. Colette niezwykle sprawnie operuje językiem, ironicznie i nostalgicznie jednocześnie, powielając schematy powieści sentymentalnej i nabijając się z nich w tym samym zdaniu. Dystans do siebie Klaudyny, zarówno jako bohaterki, jak i zachowany w strukturze tekstu, jest do pozazdroszczenia. Innymi słowy, Klaudyna pisana jes
Disha Bose O'Shea
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, humour
Claudine in Paris is the second book in the series while continuing to be a sheer joy to read.

Here, Claudine is seventeen and still ruthless and has moved from her sheltered life in Montigny to Paris. Colette’s prose is witty and sparkling, and there wasn’t a single page I didn’t turn without arching my eyebrows. Only in France could this book have been published way back in 1901, although I believe it still did cause quite the stir.

This second book follows a similar theme; with Claudine obser
rosamund
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Claudine's father, a neglectful and forgetful parent, brings Claudine with him to Paris, where he has travelled in order to further his own studies. Claudine, at 17, no longer goes to school, and is separated from her dear friends and the village and countryside she loves best. She suffers a severe illness ("brain fever"), and struggles with loneliness and lack of affection in the Parisian setting. When she meets Renaud, a distant relation, she is entranced by his kindness and affection. She vie ...more
Rambling Reviews
Dec 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Truly, while the writing is lovely, I just cannot understand why these books are so popular, when the protagonist is so snarky and unpleasant. She leaves such a bad taste in my mouth, I thoroughly dislike being inside her head, even if she does have a lovely turn of phrase. Not sure if I'll continue with the next one. There are so many other books I would rather read.
Margaret Christison
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have just discovered Colette and I am overwhelmed. Her outrageousness is a delight- Claudine, is in every sense ,a teenager -before the word was invented and her adolescent observations of the characters, who people her life are drawn with such acerbic humour that I found myself smiling through almost every page.
Born in the last twenty years of the Victorian era, Colette has conjured prose that sparkles with wit and mischievous disregard for convention and in 'Claudine in Paris', This child is
fiafia
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
C'est encore mieux que "Claudine à l'école" et quel dommage que je ne l'aie pas lu bien plus tôt!
Amidala
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odnośnie pierwszego tomu ten jest o wiele lepszy pod względem postaci i wydarzeń, bardziej mnie zaciekawił. Jednak Colette pisze trochę tak staromodnie i ciężko ją czasami zrozumieć ;)
Li Sian
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
You really can see the dreaded Hand of Willy in here, what with all the nonsensical Sapphic titillations (I say, as a nonsensical Sapphic myself) and the in some ways really rather excellent sulky gay dude getting turned on by said titillations. And, you know, identifying the characters in Claudine fully with their real-life counterparts - I loathed Renaud (loathed!) and so objectively any ending that shoves Claudine and Renaud together is a terrible ending. Can't wait for her to kill him off, e ...more
Geoff Wooldridge
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second in Colette's 'Claudine' series, published initially in 1901 and attributed to her then husband, 'Willy'. In time, these short and endearing novels were correctly attributed to Colette, the true author.

Partly autobiographical - Willy encouraged his wife to write about her youth, but to spice things up a little - the novel is presented partly like the diary entries of a young girl, wherein Claudine often refers to herself in the third person.

Claudine is aged 17 in this novel, wh
Kelly Buchanan
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leaving behind her school days, Claudine is thrust into the whirlwind of Paris and all of its temptations and delights. Though still pining for her rural retreat at Montingy, she still finds time to make conquests and experience city life to the full. As in the first novel, the main driving force here is Claudine's voice - assured and exuberant. Though the story here is small, confined mostly to the claustrophobic flat Claudine shares with her disinterested father, the energy hums along to make ...more
Melanie
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
In Claudine in Paris our heroine seems to lose some of her self confidence from the first book. This made sense to me as she is obviously new to a big city and no longer the leader of all those around her. In this book she at times was a bit more prude and it was funny to see how scandalized she was by the actions of her cousin Marcel and her dear friend Luce. For it's time it is obvious that the book was very scandalous and it was a fun read.
Renee Svendsen
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second of the Claudine series and it kept my interest as much (or more) than the setting in her school. It is, again, a general diary form and takes us through leaving her home area and moving to Paris where she finds infatuations (maybe love?) and spreads her wings as she reaches young womanhood. An intriguing read and has me ready for #3!
Mellejoliemome
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah ce roman est tellement moderne pour son temps ! Claudine est une héroïne tellement irrésistible !
Voss
May 22, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: narrativa, mainstream
La vecchia Claudine compare di tanto in tanto, ma per la gran parte del tempo è solo una adolescente lagnosa e rompipalle. :( Peccato.
Speriamo nel terzo capitolo.
Jonathan Bradley
How did Paris greet Claudine? In this book, published in 1901 and the second in a series, the eponymous lead visits a milliner who, upon outfitting her, exclaims, "You look exactly like Polaire!" Two years later, Polaire, the star of the Parisian stage, took the title role in an adaptation of this series.

Colette, who only regained authorship of the Claudine novels after separating from her domineering plagiarist husband Willy — he initially put his name to her work — is known in the anglosphere
Jasmin
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Borrowed this book from a community bookshelf while travelling. It was what I needed: easy to digest, but not boring (there was *almost* enough homosexuality and sadism to keep me going (oh but I wish there were more...)). I hadn't read any Colette before this. I'm absolutely charmed by Claudine!

Claudine is very particular. Her descriptions are endlessly amusing (little kittens as slugs), and she says things like "tell me about the Good Country Housewife and her ingenuity in the matter of cesspo
patrycja polczyk
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I`m finally done! It took me quite a while, but when I`ve finally sat down to reading it, it went quickly. I liked it, though less than first part. In this part - there`s too much Claudine`s musings about life. Meeting with Luce was quite strange... I liked the ending and I`m looking forward to reading 3rd book. ...more
Patricia
I've been wanting to read Colette and this was a quick glance at one of her many volumes of work. Imagine the scandal that the book must have raised when first published in 1901 - covering mistresses, homosexuality, a bit of sadomasochism!
Jbondandrews
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed reading about Claudine though it was a pity she had two of Franchette's kittens. And to be honest I'm not sure why she chose Renaud. Not that any of the men she knew seemed worthy enough .
Lora
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I started with this, the second book in the series. As I noted at the time, I disliked the older men in the book who preyed on the sexual curiosity and economic security of young women (in their own extended family!).
Bonnie
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, french
I liked Claudine better in this than in Claudine at School, because she's not quite so abusive. I also enjoy and empathize with her fascination with her only Paris friend, the delicate but unavailable Marcel. To me, this story is mostly just a set-up of the scandalous next book: Claudine Married.
Marti Graham
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: france

It was enlightening to read something from that era in descriptions never imagined. She was upbeat about life despite the things that she had to confront.
Marysia
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Think of the story of Anne of Green Gables, only set in the early 1900's Paris and juicier! I actually love it.
Dvora
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: france
Even though I found her even more charming in the first of the series, Claudine at 17 is still charming (if a little bit raunchy).
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • Return to the Chateau (Story of O #2)
  • Roads of Destiny
  • Trouble for Lucia (Lucia, #6)
  • Daring Spectacle: Adventures in Deviant Journalism
  • Green Mountain, White Cloud: A Novel of Love in the Ming Dynasty
  • St. Mawr/The Man Who Died
  • Poésies / Une saison en enfer / Illuminations
  • Fureur et mystère
  • Cligès
  • Comrade Loves of the Samurai
  • Le Démon de la Tour Eiffel (Adèle Blanc-Sec #2)
  • Diamantsvärdet och träsvärdet I (Svärdens väktare, #1)
  • La Vénus d'Ille
  • Aphrodite
  • A Sentimental Journey and Other Writings
  • Louisa May Alcott: An Intimate Anthology
  • The Complete War Memoirs of Charles de Gaulle
Colette was the pen name of the French novelist and actress Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette. She is best known, at least in the English-speaking world, for her novella Gigi, which provided the plot for a famous Lerner & Loewe musical film and stage musical. She started her writing career penning the influential Claudine novels of books. The novel Chéri is often cited as her masterpiece.

Claudine (5 books)
  • Claudine at School
  • Claudine Married
  • Claudine and Annie
  • Retreat from Love
“Desde hace algún tiempo, mis ojos siempre dan la impresión de saber algo que yo no sé.” 2 likes
“Bien sûr, je ne conçois pas que des gens vivent à Paris pour leur plaisir.” 1 likes