Start by marking “Silent Kills” as Want to Read:
Silent Kills

Silent Kills

(Lee Campbell Mystery #3)

Everyone Has What He Wants

The killer picks her up in a Manhattan night club. Another trendy victim of the latest downtown scene. Young. Fresh. Healthy. Perfect. The police find her body in a Bronx park. Pale as a ghost. Peaceful in death. Her life has been drained away. Slowly. Methodically. Brilliantly. . .

No One Survives What He Takes

NYPD profiler Lee Campbell has seen t
Published December 1st 2011 by Pinnacle (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Kills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Kills

Erin
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
This crime drama was good enough that I don't regret having spent my time reading it, but there were too many loose ends. The characters were well developed, but most of their personal stories that aided the character development were left unfinished and my questions left unanswered. I found myself wondering why the author spent so much time with these subplots. The story ended very abruptly, leaving me generally unsatisfied.
Tasha
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I don't have any words for this book, just read it!!
Chanel
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a very good book. The bad guy was over-rated and the author dragged the story out. Almost afraid to read the next book.
Sheree
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting but not captivating
Bjarne Rostaing
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Silent Kills is a kind of procedural, but a lot more, and C.E. Lawrence is that rare item, a series writer who gets better. Her Precinct is a little grim, nuts and sometimes funny. Try a rugby-playing boss cop married to a dangerous femme fatale and a detective who’s very afraid of dogs forced into close proximity with a German Shepherd.

Most crime books are all plot, stripped and dead. Lawrence doesn’t have this problem. She can go into the perp’s mind and find interesting thoughts, then show th
Kelsey
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Lawrence throws us headlong into a lot of complex relationships and one really deranged serial killer. Lee Campbell is NYPD's only full-time profiler and he has been asked to help on a case being dubbed the "Van Cortlandt Vampire." The serial killer drugs his victims and then drains them completely of blood. Campbell knows that the killings will only escalate. After interviewing the brother of one of the victims, Francois, Campbell instantly feels a bond and wants to help him. Campbell too has b ...more
Novel Destination
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
C. E. Lawrence continues to provide a great suspenseful thriller. It is part police procedural, part profiling, and part characters trying to move on with their lives at the 1st year anniversary of 09/01/01. While this is the 3rd book in the "Silent series," the author writes in such a way that you can pick these books up in any order. In talking with other readers, I have found that we appreciate her use of separate chapters to explain the history and rationale of the killer(s) and the murders ...more
Lena
Jan 29, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Es herrscht tatsächlich Ruhe

Lee Campel ist einer der erfolgreichsten Profiler in New York und als die blutleere Leiche einer jungen Frau gefunden wird, ist all sein Können gefragt…
Leider hat mir dieser Thriller überhaupt nicht gefallen. Der Mordfall fristet ein Schattendasein, während die Kollegen vom NYPD im Rampenlicht stehen. Wer verzehrt sich nach wem? Wer kann wen nicht ausstehen? Und die Probleme und Ängste des Protagonisten und Helden, Lee Campel werden natürlich auch sehr ausführlich bes
Lesley
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have read all 3 CE Lawrence books. They just keep getting better and better. Lee Campbell is not only fighting to have his expertise recognized by the members of the NYPD but also wages a battle with depression caused by his sister's unsolved disappearance and the 9/11 attacks. In this one the group is trying to apprehend a killer who is also a member of the steampunk scene.
I love her characterizations. Even a minor character lights up the page from time to time, such as the Vietnam Vet who h
Marianne Stehr
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Having never read any of the other in this series, I was expecting the run of the mill thriller, filled with who dun its and chases especially given that the murderer was a serial killer. I found that, but a whole lot more as well. This is very much a psychological book about grief, loss and death. I found it havinga quality of introspection, making me (the reader) look at my own feelings about death. To me this book felt very "deep" and for that I was both surprised and delighted. It is so much ...more
Sierra
May 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
First off, I have to say this is the first C.E. Lawrence book I've read. Silent Kill captivated me and I had a hard time putting it down. At first I was a bit confused by the story structure But, as I continued reading, I found the way the story was told made sense. I identified a lot with Lee Campbell. I noticed one or two typos here and there, but not nearly enough stop reading. All in all, I'm glad I got introduced to C.E. Lawrence. This definitely won't be the last book of his I read.
Julia
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just finished this book. I really enjoyed the book and the author. The story took place in NYC right after 911. The author did a great job with the story line and characters. I stayed interested, however the book takes a dark side by adding some paranormal activity. Not my usual style of book but I do look forward to reading other bookd by C.E. Lawerence.
KC
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the main character in this series. Dr. Lee Campbell, NYPD profiler, is helping to find a killer who drains the blood from of his victims. Campbell is a damaged individual who cannot get past his own personal tragedy, which makes him a fantastic profiler.
Andrea
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Here’s to a wonderfully campy thriller that introduces you to Manhattans steampunk culture while your favorite detective tracks down a living vampire that is silently killing his victims one by one.
Barbara Huskey
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Not the greatest suspense type book I've ever read, but definitely not the worst. I liked it overall even though the cops made some incredibly accurate guesses based on absolutely nothing. I kind of shook my head in some places, but I did keep reading it.
Clare Stevens
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely writing style, well developed characters and a gripping plot.
Tomi
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Better than the other one of these that I read, but not by much...too much time given to the depression that the main character has and not enough to the mystery/suspense.
Angela
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
A quick read. Intense at times but overall entertaining.
Lynn
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Did not realize until I had finished that it was the third book of a series. Purchased the other books in the series and hope they will also be an enjoyable read.
Lee
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just started today, will reserve judgement. I will say it's slow to start.
Valerie
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun read, good suspense throughout. I recommend this book for some dark-&-stormy-night light reading. Steampunk Vampire... nice stretch there, Ace!
Gerry
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
great plot
Crystal Barton
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Kept my interest from beginning to end. Would recommend it to anyone who likes these types of books. Can't wait to read the rest of the series!
Izzie
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice story but a little bit wordy.
Lauri
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
New writer I started reading and I thought they were good.
Jeanine
Jan 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Blown Away
  • Sons and Princes
  • Hostage in Havana (The Cuban Trilogy #1)
  • I Shall Not Want (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #2)
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • Listen to the Shadows
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Price of a Bounty
  • Pay Me in Flesh (Mallory Caine, Zombie-at-Law, #1)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • Lot's Return to Sodom (Liv Bergen Mystery #2)
  • The Dead Saint
  • Scream
  • Addicted to Love
  • Eye of the God
  • From the Ashes
  • Murder Over Easy
  • My Gentleman Vampire: The Undead Have Style

C.E. Lawrence aka Carole Bugge' is the byline of a New York-based suspense writer, performer, composer and prize-winning playwright and poet whose previous books have been praised as "lively. . ." (Publishers Weekly); "constantly absorbing. . ." (starred Kirkus Review); and "superbly crafted prose" (Boston Herald). Silent Screams, Silent Victim, Silent Kills, and recently released Silent Slaughter

Lee Campbell Mystery (5 books)
  • Silent Screams