Start by marking “First Day First Show” as Want to Read:
First Day First Show

First Day First Show

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
For more than a hundred years now, Indians have watched movies made in the subcontinent, sung the songs and gossiped about the stars. Bollywood has been a passion, a popular tradition and a shared national conversation. In recent decades, as India has experienced economic and social change, both the film industry and the entertainment it produces have transformed themselve ...more
Published April 15th 2011 by Penguin India (first published 2011)

Shahine Ardeshir
The best compliment I can pay Anupama Chopra is that she has managed to write an intelligent, interesting book about Bollywood’s movie industry, devoid of any gossip, slander or judgement. The fact is that First Day First Show is an intelligent read. It takes Bollywood seriously, and in doing so, recognizes its limitations, achievements as well as highlights aspects of the business end of things that most average movie goers won’t have heard of before.

More than a book, this is a collection of Ch
Sahir D'souza.
First Day First Show is a delightful compendium of Anupama Chopra’s writings on Bollywood (and sometimes a little beyond) since the early nineties up to about 2010, plus three extracts from her three previous books.
I am a huge Bollywood fan, much like Anupama, and her pieces give me insight into not just times I have known (Jab We Met, Om Shanti Om), but also into times before I was even born (Dil To Pagal Hai, DDLJ).
She not only examines the big stars and movies, but also takes time to look at
Tarja
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, india
3 1/2 stars. This is an interesting, entertaining, and informative collection of columns and articles on Indian cinema. The chronological order of the pieces gives a nice overview of how the business has developed and changed through the years.
waqar ahmad
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent collection of articles that take you on a journey through the JHAKAS Bollywood of early 90s to the elegant and classy Bollywood of late 2000s and beyond. Typical flavor of Anupama's writing is found. first ARTICLE based book that i actually found worth reading
Avishek Bhattacharjee
This is only for bollywood...Anuapama chopra with all the articles created a saga.But prior to interlude this book gives you lot of informations specially movies adapted from different novels but after that a hurried end,poor articles.
My take from this book are series of Novels which i am going to buy soon
A casual read and can only recommend if you want to know our Hindi film industry
Shipra
Ankur Gupta
Feb 10, 2012
Nita
Oct 18, 2018 added it
I finished the book sometime ago, but am writing the review now.
First Day First Show, has on its cover, this sentence from the writer Anupama Chopra-Writings From The Trenches. This is what intrigued me. Anupama Chopra is not into Bollywood Bunkum. She does not create controversies that more or less describe most writing about Bollywood.

She mostly writes about the movers and shakers of The Hindi Film Industry. After I read this book, I had an insight to this industry that fascinates every Indian
Kirsty